#41 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:23 AM

So 6ths comprehension of the real world is just as poor as his understanding of game mechanics...

Not surprised

#42 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,664 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:54 AM

Laptops.. /chuckles... if this has been discussed in another thread apologizes in advance but has that Asus been cleared of dust on heatsinks, How many laptop users actually CLEAN/CLEAR dust build up in/on the heat vents/sinks before purchasing a new one...? The general mindset is if it cannot be seen there is nothing to fuss about.

How many manufacturers actually build them for ease of cleaning? Just about all now require some dismantling (THANK YOU youtube..), some easier than others whereas many years ago many had one or two doors/panels above the fans and/or heatsink area on the bottom of the laptop.

Other thing to consider is location, high humidity and low humidity. With higher humidity there more moisture in dust. Think of the difference between "dry" snow that will not pack into a snowball if your life depending on it vs that nice, wet snow that is excellent for snowball fits, as well as difference in one left flying and whirling where ever it wants to the other that just sticks to what it hits...

Laptops are going to be hit or miss. Whatever you decide on, make sure to read both the good and bad reviews at a couple of sites.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 15 March 2019 - 07:56 AM.

#43 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:12 AM

That Asus looks actually pretty decent. I suspect ot will run MWO just fine.

The chassis probably isnt as durable as on more expensive products, but asus at least has quality control, unlike acer.

#44 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:46 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 15 March 2019 - 05:43 AM, said:

But please look up what an analogy is and the difference between subjective and objective.

Oh please, spare me. You should learn how to read and how to argue instead.

#45 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:57 PM

Wut.

#46 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:02 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 15 March 2019 - 02:57 PM, said:

Wut.

My point exactly

#47 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,792 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:18 PM

View PostGagis, on 15 March 2019 - 09:12 AM, said:

That Asus looks actually pretty decent. I suspect ot will run MWO just fine.

The chassis probably isnt as durable as on more expensive products, but asus at least has quality control, unlike acer.

they also sell products that stop working one week after the warranty expires.

Edited by LordNothing, 15 March 2019 - 03:19 PM.

#48 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:38 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 13 March 2019 - 10:48 PM, said:

I honestly have bad experiences with Nvidea. I hate their interface. When I had my other laptop, the AMD Radeon Crimson was the best. It could overclock and increase fan use per programs on the spot.

Then you'd like MSI, even with Nvidea as they have their own control pannels (called the "Dragon Center") default that lets you do that. THIS is what I have, and I got a year and a half ago.

Go to their page, HERE, and look around a bit, they have a metric fudge ton of different laptops. I recommend the GT series for raw power, GS if you want something thinner, GV if you want multi-core, and the GL (what I'm using) for the best all-round experience.

#49 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:51 PM

View PostAthom83, on 15 March 2019 - 03:38 PM, said:

Then you'd like MSI, even with Nvidea as they have their own control pannels (called the "Dragon Center") default that lets you do that. THIS is what I have, and I got a year and a half ago.

Go to their page, HERE, and look around a bit, they have a metric fudge ton of different laptops. I recommend the GT series for raw power, GS if you want something thinner, GV if you want multi-core, and the GL (what I'm using) for the best all-round experience.

Yes, lovely, thank you. The custom UI on the MSI would really attract me to get Nvidea.

That's really really helpful.

I like this better interface.

#50 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:04 PM

Every major gaming laptop maker (ASUS, MSI, Acer, etc) has their own overclocking UI. Regardless of that you'll still have to use the Nvidia Control Panel for certain things and there is no way around that.

I already posted the literal only laptop with the RX 580 so you'll have to make your choice.

Edited by LT. HARDCASE, 15 March 2019 - 05:05 PM.

#51 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:48 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 15 March 2019 - 07:54 AM, said:

How many manufacturers actually build them for ease of cleaning? Just about all now require some dismantling (THANK YOU youtube..), some easier than others whereas many years ago many had one or two doors/panels above the fans and/or heatsink area on the bottom of the laptop.

You have to dismantle a desktop tower to clean it, too, so I fail to see how that is a solid con.

The thing to watch out for in maintaining laptops is whether or not the manufacturer:

1. Lets you dismantle it at all
2. Has the motherboard flipped such that you have to also disconnect the display and input controls to access anything.

No gaming laptops are built in a sealed fashion, and flipping the motherboard is merely a matter of care by the end user when he does open it up.

OP, there are so few AMD laptops out there right now that you are doing yourself an incredible disservice by trying to choose one. They feature positively ancient GPUs at this point (an RX 580 is an RX480) and the performance is overall worse. My recommendation would be that you find a GTX 1060-equipped model from last year, something like an MSI GL- or GS-series or a Gigabyte Aero 15-series. If you give less of a **** about how thin the machine is and its battery life, there are even a few Clevo/Sager models that step up to a GTX 1070 in the same budget.

#52 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:28 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 14 March 2019 - 11:57 PM, said:

I am looking for said criterion as well aside from performance-per-dollar. Why is that hard to understand?

I'm looking for an AMD laptop under a price, why give desktop builds? Those aren't helpful to what I am asking. And if I decline, why demonize me?

to most, "gaming Laptop"+Acer = FATAL_ERROR, Afterburner works on nivida and that was one of the reasons why you said you didn't like it. So it is no wonder people were trying to help you with actual info about gaming systems.

Laptops suck for gaming for many reasons. First, Power consumption, they are often detuned because of heat reasons. A desktop with the exact same stats will run faster and run cooler because they can be clocked, and actually work. Heat is the enemy of gaming, and laptops are the absolute worst at dealing with that Laptops can melt with heavy load gaming, and i mean actually melt, or even catch on fire. there is a reason why people trying to game on laptops always have issues, but don't take my word for it, just search any game site and see how many people with issues are trying to game on a laptop. But if you just have to have a laptop, at least get a cooling pad.

if you really have to have a laptop, go over to tom's hardware and do some research.

Edited by JC Daxion, 19 March 2019 - 11:35 AM.

#53 2DaT

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:36 AM

Gaming laptop is an oxymoron.

#54 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:57 AM

View Post2DaT, on 19 March 2019 - 11:36 AM, said:

Gaming laptop is an oxymoron.

Hexa-core i7s paired with anything from a GTX 1070 to RTX 2080 with 144hz screens in a laptop would disagree with that statement. Expensive? Sure. Gaming? Absolutely.

My laptop with a GTX 1070 runs Battlefield 5 and Apex Legends virtually identical in FPS (within ~ 5fps) of my desktop with a GTX 1070 (both 100 fps+)

Edited by Vxheous, 19 March 2019 - 12:01 PM.

#55 2DaT

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:07 PM

View PostVxheous, on 19 March 2019 - 11:57 AM, said:

Hexa-core i7s paired with anything from a GTX 1070 to RTX 2080 with 144hz screens in a laptop would disagree with that statement. Expensive? Sure. Gaming? Absolutely.

15.6"

Edited by 2DaT, 19 March 2019 - 12:08 PM.

#56 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:34 PM

View Post2DaT, on 19 March 2019 - 12:07 PM, said:

15.6"

Actually 17.3". Again, performance wise, considering portability, my laptop plays games extremely well, almost like Im playing on my desktop. MWO is the only game where I notice a difference, where my desktop gives me 100-120 fps vs laptop gives me 65-85 fps. Speaks to how poorly MWO and cryengine is.

Edited by Vxheous, 19 March 2019 - 12:37 PM.

#57 2DaT

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:41 PM

View PostVxheous, on 19 March 2019 - 12:34 PM, said:

Actually 17.3". Again, performance wise, considering portability, my laptop plays games extremely well, almost like Im playing on my desktop. MWO is the only game where I notice a difference, where my desktop gives me 100-120 fps vs laptop gives me 65-85 fps. Speaks to how poorly MWO and cryengine is.

Posted Image

#58 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:20 PM

View Post2DaT, on 19 March 2019 - 12:41 PM, said:

Posted Image

You do you, but since I have both a desktop and a laptop, your attempts at mocking laptops fall short

#59 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:33 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 19 March 2019 - 11:28 AM, said:

to most, "gaming Laptop"+Acer = FATAL_ERROR, Afterburner works on nivida and that was one of the reasons why you said you didn't like it.

Where in my post did I named "afterburner"? I just said I had bad experiences with Nvidea, and I don't like the interface.

View PostJC Daxion, on 19 March 2019 - 11:28 AM, said:

So it is no wonder people were trying to help you with actual info about gaming systems.

Laptops suck for gaming for many reasons. First, Power consumption, they are often detuned because of heat reasons. A desktop with the exact same stats will run faster and run cooler because they can be clocked, and actually work. Heat is the enemy of gaming, and laptops are the absolute worst at dealing with that Laptops can melt with heavy load gaming, and i mean actually melt, or even catch on fire. there is a reason why people trying to game on laptops always have issues, but don't take my word for it, just search any game site and see how many people with issues are trying to game on a laptop. But if you just have to have a laptop, at least get a cooling pad.

if you really have to have a laptop, go over to tom's hardware and do some research.

And I will get a cooling pad.

You have your issues with Laptops, I respect that, but don't force it onto others. This seems personal, why do you have so much stake on this?

Edited by The6thMessenger, 19 March 2019 - 01:37 PM.

#60 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:21 PM

View Post2DaT, on 19 March 2019 - 12:41 PM, said:

Posted Image

Something something "Its not the size its how you use it".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users