Srm Help

12 replies to this topic

#1 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:02 AM

Most of the opponents I'm going against that are running SRM's have really tight groups. They're able to get all their missiles grouped tight enough to only hit a torso or a leg or an arm. I'm trying to get the same effect and am failing at it. I have all six available skill nodes selected and am running Artemis sets and I'm still scattering like an LB20 at 750m. What else can be done to tighten up the groups?

I'm having this trouble with clan and IS builds alike.

#2 Lurm God

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:46 AM

What mech in particular are you having this issue with? I don't often find them to group well unless the person is standing still and your cursor can sit and have perfect weapon convergence or at point blank. I do see what you said about both sides by the way but inherently IS group slightly better. Arms do not often group well due to convergence.

Edited by Lurm God, 14 March 2019 - 08:47 AM.

#3 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:58 AM

Catapult, kit fox, atlas, timberwolf, and blood asp at present. My first thought was that maybe it was weapons convergence (which can be helped with appropriate skill nodes) but they're all torso mounted in the atlas and it scatters as well. It might also just be a matter of my own perception. I'm more wondering if there's just some skills or techniques somewhere that could help tighten it up.

#4 Lurm God

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:15 AM

Sounds like your solaris div mechs then. Atlas I have not had many issues with other than low mounts. I guess sometimes missiles are lost in lag etc. As a ping whisperer myself I do try to avoid them to a degree but have good results usually. Maybe try tighter grouped mechs and see if you have the same issue, assassin 23, cyclops, maddog. Things of those nature and see if you get better results. Maybe spend a bit of time in training grounds in front of the atlas on crimson straight practicing twisting an firing into its components from different ranges, it is what I do if I am struggling with a brawl mech.

#5 UnkerZ

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:15 PM

Ehh... if your hardpoints are widely scattered it is hard to focus them esp when leading shots due to the point aim - its aiming at a specific point in space - when u aim ahead of the target, you are aiming behind, thus the focal point is no longer on the target and spread increases as the target 'runs' thru a barrage focusing behind it. I have these problems on Orion for e.g. spread over arms and torsos - The only way is to not rely entirely on the SRM cluster or run him into the face - no issues on slower targets (or when facing them head-on) when your lead can still rest on a part of the target, the missiles still go together.

If the hardpoints are close to each other then there shd be little issue. For the D7, i abandon artemis just to go with srm bombing as the tons saved can make up with more launchers or heat sinks since mechs there run so fast, its easier to just splatter them or score both legs at once with the spread.

I have been thinking of suggesting to have weapon focal points adjusted automatically to your selected target range, but it would have strange interactions if you only intended to track it in other game modes - but this would be an huge boon to solaris.

#6 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:07 PM

Still struggling with this...more trying to figure out how other players can manage to focus 36 SRM's on a single component on my mech. This is something I'd really like to figure out how to do. It seems to be mostly Cyclops that can do it, but it's every round in a side torso from 200m with both of us moving. I know having good aim and timing is part of it, but I tried it in my cyclops in the testing grounds against a stationary target and I can't get all 36 into a single component.

#7 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:59 PM

View PostMakenzie71, on 24 March 2019 - 07:07 PM, said:

.........focus 36 SRM's on a single component on my mech. ..........on single component.....

36 missiles, thats 6 x SRM6. A lot of ghost heat.

Reason I bring it up is, maybe they are shooting left side 3 x SRM6 and then half a second later the right side 3 x SRM6

When shooting SRM's from the same location on the mech (Right Torso for example) convergence is a non issue and spread is tighter.

Same with any weapon really, shoot one side, then half a second later shoot the other for less convergence.

Maybe try this.

#8 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 08:01 PM

Heat isn't the issue. I don't care about the heat. The heat doesn't affect convergence. And if you shoot left side and then right side it's even less likely to be firing a tight group.

#9 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:41 PM

I totally and fully disagree

Shooting from the same side totally makes a difference to convergence.

For example before you could put PPC in side torsoes on the Summoner M/F, you had to put PPCs in the arms.
And I noticed that if I put a PPC in each arm many shots would only land one PPC from two due to convergence.

So I tried putting both PPCs in the left arm and what happen was I never ever had a convergence issue again.
If one PPC hit both of them hit 100%. Convergence goneskies.

Maybe had all my eggs in one basket (location) issue (doh I could dead side better ) but not a convergence issue.

Just Look at RAC boats, all the cannons are in one side if not ideally one location, even if more symmetrical options are available.

That was my experience and I suggest you try it since it seems you don't know the answer either other wise why you post this thread.

I mean think about it convergnce happens due to the distance between weapons and the targeting distance aim point forming a triangle.

Thus the shot from each weapon has a different heading/angle. When then weapons are in the same location each weapons trajectory is the same.

Don,t knock it till you try it

And it has nuthing to do with heat BTW

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 24 March 2019 - 10:22 PM.

#10 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:45 AM

View PostMakenzie71, on 24 March 2019 - 07:07 PM, said:

Still struggling with this...more trying to figure out how other players can manage to focus 36 SRM's on a single component on my mech. This is something I'd really like to figure out how to do. It seems to be mostly Cyclops that can do it, but it's every round in a side torso from 200m with both of us moving. I know having good aim and timing is part of it, but I tried it in my cyclops in the testing grounds against a stationary target and I can't get all 36 into a single component.

Cyclops hardpoints and grouping are really tight, still I have a problem with it sometimes.

You'll notice if you're leading a moving target, the srms have a wider splat, but if you're targeting the ct of a stationary mech, the srms converge much tighter. Thus staying in motion and twisting well is huge for keeping yourself alive, especially in srm splat brawls in places like div 2 where winning or losing comes down to one shot.

#11 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:09 AM

The cyclops pilots you are facing are aware that they can eat the ghost heat on a 6x6a volley twice. You are in a slow mech and/or aren't moving laterally fast enough for them to have to lead with the cursor off of the mech.

The placement and grouping on the 10Q is very nice. One of the best brawling assaults in the game.

#12 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:10 PM

I use SRMs in Solaris a lot. I honestly don't find them to be too bad. I've beaten many a decent player with them.

View PostLurm God, on 14 March 2019 - 08:46 AM, said:

I don't often find them to group well unless the person is standing still and your cursor can sit and have perfect weapon convergence or at point blank.

100%. If you are leading a shot so 200m and the target is only 40m away it seems convegence gets wonky. SRMs I just close distance, make sure I'm under about 80m at all times and works out well enough.

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 24 March 2019 - 09:41 PM, said:

Shooting from the same side totally makes a difference to convergence.

For example before you could put PPC in side torsoes on the Summoner M/F, you had to put PPCs in the arms.
And I noticed that if I put a PPC in each arm many shots would only land one PPC from two due to convergence.

So I tried putting both PPCs in the left arm and what happen was I never ever had a convergence issue again.
If one PPC hit both of them hit 100%. Convergence goneskies.

That is only due to arm lock OR where your reticule is.

If it is at 800m and a target is at 200m and you are firing 'ahead' by leading, then yes convergence then will be an issue sometimes as the weapons are heading on the assumption it's trying to converge/hit at 800m.

If you are firing and your reticule is directly OVER the mech it will converge on the exact point every time and you won't have an issue.

#13 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:57 PM

So it sounds like with weapons that you have to lead, having/firing weapons from one location reduces/eliminates convergence issues.

Due to aiming not at the actual target

That's my experience

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 25 March 2019 - 11:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users