104 replies to this topic

#21 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:21 AM

View PostDaggett, on 18 April 2019 - 07:09 AM, said:

So at least RAC2s are indeed insanely strong in QP, there are too many easy targets creating opportunities where facetime does not matter much. Triple RAC2 dish out a whopping 200+ dmg before jamming, good luck trading while you are busy rolling and your cockpit gets blinded/shaken permanently. Unless you got high pinpoint alphas like with DHG/laser combos you are better off trying to flank a RAC2 mech instead of facing it directly, especially if it fields more than the usual three RAC2s.

Not saying RAC2s are OP but in chaotic solo QP they are damn close and amongst the top performing weapons, so i can see why OP has problems dealing with them.

This!

Senseless trying to twist, you cant see **** anyways while you get shred apart....
Only counter is to have those enemies targeted (press "R") and aim for the center of the red square and inflict more dmg than he will be... if you win and he's dead or retreating, you can put your mech in the trash for the rest of the game anyways :)

#22 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:48 AM

match maker has never and will never work. psr needs a redux. let potatoes be potatoes and don't promote them to t1 just because they have been around. even then im not convinced the populations are there.

rac, as a wait to fire weapon, will never be meta. i kind of want it to be buffed. its fine on an organized firing line but as a normal player pug weapon it will never win against an old skool laser alpha. your gun is still spinning up while the enemy is ducking into cover.

lights are not op, you are a potato. in the hands of the average player lights are meh at best. they mostly appeal to elite players and anyone crazy enough to not care about dying (i fall into the latter group). if normal players could feast with them you would see queues loaded with light mechs. stealth does need more counters though. like bring in aecm and bhp. make running it hot reveal you. i have a lot of heat neutral stealth builds that can pup out huge alphas and stay stealthed.

get gud. its really the only option in lieu of the janky non functional match maker. dropping with a group doesnt mean they arent a bag of taters. i dropped with a 10 man and not one of them could aim, and only 3 of them broke 1k. both me and the other pug broke 1k and the team leader still blamed us for jinxing them.

if you gave them thousands why should they listen to you? they already milked you dry. you got suckered into sunk cost fallacy and have developed stockholm syndrome. that is what they want. they do not want to make a game. i only gave them about $300-400 and i feel kind of dirty, used, and abused.

#23 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:04 AM

In an ideal game only people good enough to be tier 1, would be in tier 1, and would only face tier 1. But we do not have the population to do that most of the time. You're gonna have to mix tiers. But I do believe we need to get rid of the 'participation trophy' PSR we have now. Whether you win or not is NOT an indicator of skill. You could do NOTHING and as long as you win, your PSR goes up. That's ridiculous.

#24 Bloodwitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:27 AM

View PostBushrat, on 18 April 2019 - 12:50 AM, said:

rant

I'd advice you to overthink your strategies, a quick look your stats tell me that you're doing something "wrong".
https://leaderboard....earch?u=Bushrat
You spent very much on the game so i would assume that you have more then enough resources to draw from (skilled mechs, equipment etc).

I honestly think you have room for improvement which will make your experience more pleasant.

#25 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:38 AM

View PostKunato Developments, on 18 April 2019 - 10:27 AM, said:

I'd advice you to overthink your strategies, a quick look your stats tell me that you're doing something "wrong".

I mean, he did say he was average. he never claimed he was a good player. Bad Stat Shame is bad.

He's complaining about MM, which is a legitimate reason to be annoyed with as the matching of players is absolutely garbage.

#26 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:39 AM

You lost me at rac op....they are garbage and only way you should be worried about them is if you accidentally find yourself 100m away from them which 99% of the time is pilot error.

#27 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:42 AM

View PostFeral Clown, on 18 April 2019 - 10:39 AM, said:

You lost me at rac op....they are garbage and only way you should be worried about them is if you accidentally find yourself 100m away from them which 99% of the time is pilot error.

Not at just 100M.... around 500M roughly. You're still going to get a face full of lead either way.

#28 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:46 AM

lol saying RACs are garbage.

RACs are pretty good.

#29 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:01 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 18 April 2019 - 09:48 AM, said:

rac, as a wait to fire weapon, will never be meta. i kind of want it to be buffed. its fine on an organized firing line but as a normal player pug weapon it will never win against an old skool laser alpha. your gun is still spinning up while the enemy is ducking into cover.

If anyone tries to trade this way with his RACs he is simply doing it wrong. Not the weapon's fault if it's used wrong by ignoring it's weaknesses.

It's not that hard to create situations where your target does not get into cover quickly enough or even has a chance to fight back at all. Most T1 pugs will not be able to punish a properly played RAC-boat like they should, only 1-2 out of 12 reds are capable of using the RACs weaknesses against it's pilot.

Edited by Daggett, 18 April 2019 - 11:04 AM.

#30 Sergeant Destroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:07 AM

If you could just spin up the rotary before u need it.......
N0, that would be crazy.

#31 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:09 AM

View PostDaggett, on 18 April 2019 - 11:01 AM, said:

If anyone tries to trade this way with RACs they are simply doing it wrong. Not the weapon's fault if it's used wrong.

It's not that hard to create situations where your target does not get into cover quickly enough or even has a chance to fight back at all. Most T1 pugs will not be able to punish a properly played RAC-boat like they should, only 1-2 out of 12 reds are capable of using the RACs weaknesses against it's pilot.

then that puts it directly into the situational category, which is just as bad. without team support to set up that situation you might as well just throw your mech away.

#32 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:22 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 18 April 2019 - 11:09 AM, said:

then that puts it directly into the situational category, which is just as bad. without team support to set up that situation you might as well just throw your mech away.

RACs are decent as long as you're in the right positioning, like any other weapon. Laservomit by itself? dead. LRMs by itself? dead. this weapon is no different really.

What is amusing that with 3 RAC/2 supported by a bigger weapon such as a gauss rifle you're spitting out 2.7 damage per hit backed by a bigger single projectile. really works well tbh.

#33 Bushrat

• PipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 99 posts
  • LocationCanada & Guyana

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:39 AM

Well, I don't think I'm a potato as some have suggested. I Can play on an organized team, take orders and used to do drop calling fairly effectively. I think Teamwork is really the key to most victories, everyone knowing their roles and following orders from a good drop caller.

I do want to get better and am constantly working towards that, I do have 303 mechs and a lot game experience--- since launch with a 3 year break in there. (ESO) I'll take any reasonable advice I can get and am already hearing some good points here.

I NOT AGREE with a pay to win, but rather skill to win scenario. Only way to get better is to play, but play smart with a decent build that fists your play style and is effective. I do not agree with all the cynicism about PGI just wanting my money, I am mostly satisfied with the product, but think that a decent MM improvement could result in much greater player satisfaction for a small tweak. The Jarls list sounds like a good rating system and it could easily be implemented by PGI... I think. Why not lobby for this? It would be much more nuanced and would set top players against top players and poor players against poor players etc etc. Everyone would be happy.

#34 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:43 AM

View PostBushrat, on 18 April 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

Well, I don't think I'm a potato as some have suggested. I Can play on an organized team, take orders and used to do drop calling fairly effectively. I think Teamwork is really the key to most victories, everyone knowing their roles and following orders from a good drop caller.

I do want to get better and am constantly working towards that, I do have 303 mechs and a lot game experience--- since launch with a 3 year break in there. (ESO) I'll take any reasonable advice I can get and am already hearing some good points here.

I NOT AGREE with a pay to win, but rather skill to win scenario. Only way to get better is to play, but play smart with a decent build that fists your play style and is effective. I do not agree with all the cynicism about PGI just wanting my money, I am mostly satisfied with the product, but think that a decent MM improvement could result in much greater player satisfaction for a small tweak. The Jarls list sounds like a good rating system and it could easily be implemented by PGI... I think. Why not lobby for this? It would be much more nuanced and would set top players against top players and poor players against poor players etc etc. Everyone would be happy.

Again the issue is player population; there isn't enough people of the same skill to be matched properly at any point in time. Maybe 3-4 years ago, but now? It's kind of wavering truth be told.

#35 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:04 PM

Light mechs are very strong in the hands of medium to good skilled players when they face only medium to good skilled enemies using Assaults or slow heavies. I am absolutely convinced that in this stage of the game, the team that has more players that actually know how to handle a light mech in their sights gets to win over the team that doesn't.

#36 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:05 PM

View PostBushrat, on 18 April 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

definately not pay to win. the large number of meta mechs you can get with cbills while heros which you have to pay mc for are often meh. paying also does not significantly reduce grind. only thing really worth throwing money at is mechbays (when they are on sale of course), because at least you can put mechs in them.

#37 Bloodwitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:09 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 18 April 2019 - 10:38 AM, said:

I mean, he did say he was average. he never claimed he was a good player. Bad Stat Shame is bad.

He's complaining about MM, which is a legitimate reason to be annoyed with as the matching of players is absolutely garbage.

Matchmaking goes both ways, the other team is random too.

I did NOT statshame, if that's how you interpreted it. I don't ask him to be a top 10 pilot, just to overthink how he is approching games.

And from his stats alone i can tell that he does not need much improvement to go to a positive win ratio.
Sorry for being vague but i simply do not know what's needed for him. Maybe he's to pushy, maybe he's to timed. Idk~

Edited by Kunato Developments, 18 April 2019 - 12:15 PM.

#38 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:12 PM

View PostSergeant Destroy, on 18 April 2019 - 11:07 AM, said:

If you could just spin up the rotary before u need it.......
N0, that would be crazy.

you can do it with gauss, i dont see why you cant pre spin the rac. but before id do that i would go with variable cooldown which takes time to ramp up to max dps. its also how real gatling guns work (granted they ramp up almost instantly).

Edited by LordNothing, 18 April 2019 - 12:12 PM.

#39 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:44 PM

View PostKunato Developments, on 18 April 2019 - 12:09 PM, said:

Matchmaking goes both ways, the other team is random too.

I did NOT statshame, if that's how you interpreted it. I don't ask him to be a top 10 pilot, just to overthink how he is approching games.

And from his stats alone i can tell that he does not need much improvement to go to a positive win ratio.
Sorry for being vague but i simply do not know what's needed for him. Maybe he's to pushy, maybe he's to timed. Idk~

When someone talks about match maker being bad, and the first thing that pops into your response is a link to his stats, it implies stat shaming, quite literally. And when you say things like

I'd advice you to overthink your strategies

and

A quick look your stats tell me that you're doing something "wrong".

It sounds like you just overrided/ignored his comments about MM issues especially here as well;

You spent very much on the game so i would assume that you have more then enough resources to draw from (skilled mechs, equipment etc).

I honestly think you have room for improvement which will make your experience more pleasant.

The other things about mechs and positioning of better pilots were supplemental arguments to his thoughts on MM, which was the main point he was making in his argument which I will quote as well as highlight the important parts which people should take note of.

Match maker needs a revamp.... PGI please put some resources on this that will improve gameplay for average player like myself. Many nights I go without a win in 20 + matches, sometimes I'll get on a roll and win several ina row. I don't think my sole efforts have much to do with it. It can't be my fault every time on a 12-0, 12-1, or 12-2 match. Nor can it be my fault on astomp the other way, I think ELO is not a good way to track players skill,,, K/D or, Match score or some combo of those factors,, but expereince is not enogh to balance a good match. It make me very discouraged to play the game.

and by the way, the teams aren't random; it pulls teams with similar match score and KDR/Match Score together.

which means that it could pull in 3-5 people with a bizarre 4.0KDR and the rest be .7KDR while the other team consists of mostly low 1.0KDRs with a few mid 1.5KDRs. guess who wins? The team with the better carry power, which is why some people don't want 8v8s (despite them being more fun) because then they don't get a chance at eating some cake if they're on the winning side because there wouldn't be enough to go around.

Edited by Scout Derek, 18 April 2019 - 12:56 PM.

#40 Bloodwitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:16 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 18 April 2019 - 12:44 PM, said:

it implies stat shaming

"implying"

I do not imply anything. I point out, objectively, what majorly contributes to his FRUSTRATION OF AN AVERAGE PLAYER.

I don't think my sole efforts have much to do with it. It can't be my fault every time on a 12-0, 12-1, or 12-2 match. Nor can it be my fault on astomp the other way

Only it does.
Play too timed and the game snowballs.
Play too agressive and die and the game snowballs.

This is not about individual matches, stomps in one direction or the other. This isn't about winning/losing streaks either, those happen to all of us.

You need to see it objectively, your win/lose is slightly negative, in 2000 games. It is however almost equal. Means you wins and loses are roughly the same.
Your kill death ratio is even positive.

Honestly, i think you developed a negative bias (losing streaks just stuck to your mind, i am the same).

I don't care if anyone calls this "statshaming" anymore. Your stats are nothing to be ashamed of.
Look at them, objectively.

Your win/lose is close to 1, that is pretty much as close to gg as it can get when the matchmaker does his job correctly.
You quite literally win about as much as you lose, you lose about as much as you win.
You stomp as often as you get stomped.
So this..

Many nights I go without a win in 20 + matches, sometimes I'll get on a roll and win several ina row.

.. is simply not true.

In your case the matchmaker did a good job to balance your wins and loses.
And you already kill more mechs then you get killed.
So, why the frustation? My guess...
https://en.wikipedia...Negativity_bias

You can blame the matchmaker all you want, but it already put you close to an equalized win/lose ratio.
If you're still not having fun. We can talk about how the matchmaker sadly puts you on either winning or losing streaks.
So you might not as easly develop a negative bias. Then again, it's only your perception.

Now, what you can do to minimize that is put more effort into winning. Or keep your win/lose at it is but kill more mechs (you might have more fun that way).
You played more then 2 thousand matches, so the experience is there.
You also have a grant worth of additional equipment to play with.

So all in all, your frustation does not come from the matchmaker, your stats tell us that much at least.
If you want to have more fun, improve your performance. It's a nobrainer.
What is holding you back? You know best.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users