Where To Start - New Player

16 replies to this topic

#1 Ionova Kerensky

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:24 PM

Hi everyone,

I am a new player to this game (perhaps a bit late, but still feeling like giving it a shot, and having had lots of fun in these 4 days Ive been playing) and I am wondering if more experienced people could help me.

Im sure Ive made bad choices on what I've bought in terms of mechs and their loadouts (an Enforcer and a Champion, and I am at 70 nodes with the Champion, experimenting on his weapon combos and so), but I am finding myself asking several questions in loud voice, so hopefully you guys can guide me in the right direction:

- What's the game plan? Im playing lots of quick fight to finish equipping my Champion mech. Is that my only way to do things? Do I play quick fights until fully equiped then onto the next one? Isnt it truly slow the money gain there to equip or buy other mechs?
- Why would I buy other mechs rather than heavy or assault? I mean, should I save only for heavy/assault ones and ignore the others? So far, playing with mediums has only resulted in catastrophe.
- Whats the difference between variants in mechs? Why people speak about a 2N variant then everyone knows what are they referring to? Is it just because it shows what the loadout of the mech is so that others understand about strategies? I've read before things like "dont put that weapon there, leave it for the 2N variant" and I do not seem to understand what's the point of such a comment.
- It seems unclear why should I play my own mechs instead of constantly playing trial ones. I know you can customize yours, and make it yours, fair enough...but unless you spend lots of time on it to fully customize, why would I use it when being incomplete rather than using trial ones which might be much stronger?
- Any advice for a new player that, after training grounds and basic guide reading, feels like he's missing something since it looks to him that this is just grinding and grinding and obtaining very low incomes being a new player?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for taking your time. Very much appreciated for those who have the time to share any portion of experience about this. Regards.

Edited by Ionova Kerensky, 19 April 2019 - 12:27 PM.

#2 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:45 PM

Game plan is to spam QuickPlay hehe. There are some Units (clans) out there running FactionPlay which is "multiple lives" kind of thing, contesting planets etc. And Solaris which... has like 3 players sadly? :P
Spam QP, earn CBills, buy new mechs. Do events, earn MC (premium currency), buy MechBays when on discount (300 usually, 150 on discount), events usually give about 200-400 MC for challenges. Rince and repeat. I am sitting at 42 bays and 39 mechs atm in some... 9? months of play, or maybe a year.

Different classes do different things good. Lights are harrasers, scouts, disruptors etc. Mediums are fast moving snipers/end-game-brawlers. Some can pack a lot of punch on top of being fast and nimble. Heavies can carry a lot of firepower, are decently mobile and decently armored. Assaults are slow hulking masses of armor and firepower but a single light can take them down if they're left alone. Don't think just because something is big and powerful that it is almighty. Sure assaults are satisfying, but not always the best thing around. Get to know maps, fights, engagements, then you'll start to appreciate more mobile machines and what they can offer to the match.

Different mech variants offer different quirks and weapon hardpoints. For example Hunchback-4G can pack multiple ballistics (or one really big one) and several energy points. Hunchback-4P however... instead of those ballistics carries A LOT of energy hardpoints. Different variants can offer different playstyles. Snipping, energy vomit, missile barrages, slower movement for larger guns or faster mechs with lighter weaponry while retaining the armor. But don't listen too much to people saying "don't do this or that", experiment, spend an hour or ten in the Mechlab fiddling with a mech, you can do that with unpurchased mechs as well (bottom right). It's a lot of fun :D

Trial mechs are all unskilled and their loadouts cannot be changed. Some trial mechs have decent loadouts like say Warhawk with 2 LPL, 3 ML and 1 Gauss, real nice one. Others, most... not so much... Skills will allow you to fire faster, run cooler, move better, take more armor, hide better.... Plus you can build your mechs however you want with the tonnage and hardpoints you have available. You want your KingCrab to bring pain using pincers and double AC20? Go for it? Maybe you wish you carried PPCs and tons of missiles instead of heavy ballistics... do it. It's a free world and do what makes you happy. Just know it's better to own a mech and customise it, skill it up, make it better, minmax or just have fun. You enjoy a trial mech a lot? Buy it's regular version and make it better by raising its skills and optimizing its build, armor values etc...

Grind is real, but not too painful. This game, with all its flaws, and they are numerous, is extremely fair in terms of economy, both premium and regular. You'll start earning a bit more as you get better. I pull 150-200k most of the time, 300ish on excellent matches. That's without premium. With premium it's regularly 300k+ up to 500k per match.

Things could be a lot better, but this is all we got and it's good. It could be EA that's running this :P
Just stick around, learn, think and observe. And don't learn from the stupid ones, the nascar drivers and lrm boaters.

#3 Ionova Kerensky

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:56 PM

Excellent response, mate. Thanks a lot for your time, and sorry about such noob questions. With your answers, I feel more confident about things I've done and to be done next. My sincere thanks.

#4 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:31 PM

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. And stupid people suffer in ignorance while the wise ask and learn.
I'm sure more people will chip in and you'll hear more Posted Image
I'm also currently rebuilding my Mech Emporium (link in my signature under every of my posts), it got mostly deleted somehow, glitched out. Once I'm done rebuilding in like two hours... drop by it and maybe look at some builds, see if maybe you find a mech or build that suits your current knowledge and playstyle of the game :)

EDIT: The Emporium is back in business.

Edited by Acersecomic, 19 April 2019 - 04:27 PM.

#5 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 19 April 2019 - 03:26 PM

View PostAcersecomic, on 19 April 2019 - 02:31 PM, said:

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

So many, so so many stupid people.

Im partial to medium mechs, they are flexibile and can be built to do almost anything but there are a lot in the medium catagory that only do well in a specific situation or role while others are real jack of all trades. The engine cap, quirks and hardpoints tend to dictate what they can or cannot do - Such as the ENF-4R which has a very small engine cap (260) low slung weapons and structure quirks (boo hiss) keep it from really excelling at anything other direct fire support (where its ballistic and energy quirks really get to shine).

I personally enjoy more nimble mediums like the Vulcan, Kintaro and Wolverine, mechs that can really dance in a fight instead of lumbering along like an assault in a mediums body (im looking at you Vindicator).

#6 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:10 PM

Sadly, there's so many assault mechs out these days, it's hard to play without being obliterated. I had a match where 8 players on each team were assaults. The matchmaker tries to make them 4/4/4/4 but the playerbase just isn't having it. I happen to suck in assaults. I need the mobility of at least a heavy mech to be successful. I used to love medium mechs too, but as the game progressed and it's all dominated by assault mechs with heavy loadouts, you just can't hardly survive. It was more fun before the civil war tech came out imo.

#7 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:29 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 19 April 2019 - 04:10 PM, said:

Sadly, there's so many assault mechs out these days, it's hard to play without being obliterated. I had a match where 8 players on each team were assaults. The matchmaker tries to make them 4/4/4/4 but the playerbase just isn't having it. I happen to suck in assaults. I need the mobility of at least a heavy mech to be successful. I used to love medium mechs too, but as the game progressed and it's all dominated by assault mechs with heavy loadouts, you just can't hardly survive. It was more fun before the civil war tech came out imo.

If we returned back to 8v8 roots, MM would be able to filter out excess assaults.

Edited by Acersecomic, 19 April 2019 - 04:29 PM.

#8 Bloodwitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:52 PM

View PostIonova Kerensky, on 19 April 2019 - 12:24 PM, said:

- What's the game plan? Im playing lots of quick fight to finish equipping my Champion mech. Is that my only way to do things? Do I play quick fights until fully equiped then onto the next one? Isnt it truly slow the money gain there to equip or buy other mechs?

There is no real game plan beside having fun.
Some play pokemech (collecting mechs)
some play for teamplay
some play for lols
some do competitive play
some play for leaderboards

What your goals are is up to you.

Regarding earnings (c-bills)
- tied to your performance ingame (matchscore, win/lose) different actions are differently rewarded.
Your main objectives should be kill assists and kills.
Average earning in a quickplay match are 100 to 200 thousand.

If you want to make c-bills fast, ask for a group (or clan/unit) and do group or faction play.
Faction play is especially interesting for you since you can earn mechbays in said mode.

- Why would I buy other mechs rather than heavy or assault? I mean, should I save only for heavy/assault ones and ignore the others? So far, playing with mediums has only resulted in catastrophe.

Different mech, different playstyle.
Some players do well in assaults and heavies but suck in lights and mediums, for others it's the opposite.
A good light/medium pilot can carry a game just as well as a good assault pilot.

- Whats the difference between variants in mechs? Why people speak about a 2N variant then everyone knows what are they referring to? Is it just because it shows what the loadout of the mech is so that others understand about strategies? I've read before things like "dont put that weapon there, leave it for the 2N variant" and I do not seem to understand what's the point of such a comment.

The mech is the chassis, the variant is a configuration of said chassis.
For example the champion has 6 different variants, CHP-2N is one of them. Each variant features slightly different weapon hardpoints and also different equipment options (some can mount higher rated engines, jumpjets, cloaking suits etc) and usually also some form of quirks which make each variant appealing for a certain tactic or weapon.
The champion 2N for example has a unique -15% on missile cooldown
You can learn more about the different hardpoints here:
https://mwo.smurfy-net.de

- It seems unclear why should I play my own mechs instead of constantly playing trial ones. I know you can customize yours, and make it yours, fair enough...but unless you spend lots of time on it to fully customize, why would I use it when being incomplete rather than using trial ones which might be much stronger?

Part of the game is to make your mechs yours.
You can't use the skill system on trial mechs, making them perform less effective in combat. They are also pretty generic.
A well build and skilled mech is fundamentally different then a trial mech, you will perform much much better in a well put together mech.
Also, trial mechs selection rotates once in a while (although, they stay fairly long for selection) so you might not be able to play them when other trial mechs rotate in.

- Any advice for a new player that, after training grounds and basic guide reading, feels like he's missing something since it looks to him that this is just grinding and grinding and obtaining very low incomes being a new player?

Find a unit/clan. Meanwhile, play reserved and stay with your team. Your main goal should be to stay alive long enough to have an impact on the the game (and do some damage meanwhile to up your earnings)
If you happen to die, try spectating a player and see if you can pick something up from their gameplay.
You can also check various youtube channels such as
Kanajashi
BlackhawkSC
Baradul

Edited by Bloodwitch, 19 April 2019 - 05:05 PM.

#9 Ionova Kerensky

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:53 PM

I am actually really happy to see some discussion on good and bad points about gamestyle here, it makes me understand the game in a much better way. I'm taking all your comments and keeping them. And yes, Acersecomic, count on me getting into your guides to have a look at what you suggest and your highlights on mechs to have an idea on how to develop mines. Thanks a lot for that, and to everyone for having the time to pass by.

#10 Ionova Kerensky

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 05:09 PM

Thanks a lot, Bloodwitch. Also a very detailed set of answers that I will definitely consider. Glad to see the community cares about newbies.

#11 Bloodwitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:03 PM

View PostIonova Kerensky, on 19 April 2019 - 05:09 PM, said:

Thanks a lot, Bloodwitch. Also a very detailed set of answers that I will definitely consider. Glad to see the community cares about newbies.

You can not possibly phantom fanthom* how happy we are about new players.

* thanks professor Kon

Edited by Bloodwitch, 20 April 2019 - 09:09 AM.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 08:41 PM

Hi everyone,

I am a new player to this game (perhaps a bit late, but still feeling like giving it a shot, and having had lots of fun in these 4 days Ive been playing) and I am wondering if more experienced people could help me.

Im sure Ive made bad choices on what I've bought in terms of mechs and their loadouts (an Enforcer and a Champion, and I am at 70 nodes with the Champion, experimenting on his weapon combos and so), but I am finding myself asking several questions in loud voice, so hopefully you guys can guide me in the right direction:

Thanks in advance, and sorry for taking your time. Very much appreciated for those who have the time to share any portion of experience about this. Regards.

Welcome to MWO.

View PostBloodwitch, on 19 April 2019 - 06:03 PM, said:

You can not possibly phantom how happy we are about new players.

Fathom?
Phantoms are usually ghosts or figments of the imagination (or at least thought to be, such as the phantom of the opera).

On to the questions.

It really depends. Generally how fast you earn money depends on your performance. The game gauges your "tier" skill by teamwork as opposed to how good you are as an individual. It awards money on a similar standpoint, the more team-oriented you seem to be (while high performing), the faster you'll become disgustingly rich and be able to swim in your own pool of money.

Welp, considering I've recently seen a light that was so agile that it followed me for about seven minutes before I even knew it was near me, and then promptly tore me asunder without me being able to land a single hit on it...as a guy who once wrote a mini guide on how to combat enemy lights in close proximity as an assault....

...why wouldn't you use something smaller?

One thing is, not everyone is suited to be an assault or heavy pilot... and not everyone is suited to be a medium or light pilot. There are numerous things that tend to go into how well one does in a machine of a given class.

For mediums, this varies quite wildly as some mediums are as tanky as heavies and can bring decent but sustained firepower (unless you can't manage your heat, then those machines are worthless)...and there are some that are immensely fast, kinda poor on armor and firepower but are sufficiently good at harassing enemies... but you bring that to the front line and whacked is the mole.

In general I prefer Hunchbacks over most mediums, though Wolverines also have a high point for me due to their smaller-than-most-similar-mech size in both cases. Both are particularly tanky, can carry sufficient firepower, and their utility can actually significantly improve once you master the "second" crosshair.

For lights this also varies a bit wildly, some are decent harassers, some tanky brawlers, some fill peculiar niches such as sharp shooter... But how well it does depends largely on you, what you're facing, your team, the enemy team, etc.

I don't have a "current" favorite light, though I have always been somewhat decent with Ravens, Jenners, Wolfhounds, Firestarters and Panthers. The last three are the physically largest of the light mechs and I play them more like heftier mediums, which most would consider heresy.

Should you spend cbills on them? Maybe once you see some success using mediums or lights you didn't have to pay for. It is worth noting that most light/medium mechs aren't worth much in MWO without filling out a skill tree toward a particular niche...if everyone else has theirs even half way filled out. Didn't used to be that way, but been about 5 years since the difference between no tree and full tree was that marginal.

I'd need to know a more specific thing.. But in some cases Champion X doesn't have the same hardpoints as Champion Y... and the two might have different "quirks" to help separate them too, such as X might have better energy quirks while Y might have better ballistic quirks.

Basically if you're gonna have both, you want to use a loadout on the one that will capitalize the most from it, such is the nature of "min/maxing" to exploit the most you can possibly get out of what the game presents you.

This is perhaps the first time I ever heard a argument in favor of the trial mechs. Though to be fair, the trial mechs or "champion variants" are designed by the community or for most part the testing community based on metas as the time...which are changed as often as opinions about whether dinosaurs had scales or feathers as what you could primarily see if you saw one in the distance.

What is your typical damage score, typical number of kills or assists if any, and do you tend to play in proximity to allies or go off on your own?

This is generic, but.. Goes from skill tree with a goal, to what you should never entertain as an engagement (a light that you cannot hit), and then that terrible thing is followed by a near perfect, ideal battle with the use of some tactical elements... right up until I made a tactical SNAFU and get myself killed for no reason.

(Video also shows why I don't really make videos anymore; the continuous interruptions of an infant that scampers around is nothing compared to the malice of a toddler that isn't the center of your every waking moment of attention.)

And for the loner in all of us (which being a loner will screw you financially but if the goal is to not ascend in tiers and challenge yourself against individuals or larger groups, it is the best way to play. That said, for you it is not the best to play, but if you are a loner, this may help you.) There's no narration for this battle.

Music choice in this video is from various 16-bit Mechwarrior games.
You will note relatively poor income despite decent kills/damage for a quickplay match.

Now in comparison, a very well-intentioned team player of relatively poor skill can possibly see much better pay...as well as still be alive after the fact.

Good luck out there.

Edited by Koniving, 19 April 2019 - 08:49 PM.

#13 Ionova Kerensky

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:47 AM

Really thanks a lot for putting all this together, Koniving. I am taking that extense expertise and converting it into something that allows me to understand my goals. As a newbie, my comments about trial mechs and so are truly out of a good understanding, but I'm slowly getting in the right direction, and despite the grind, I am definitely finding myself more comfortable with my mechs, finding their strong/weak points and understanding how to customize and to use the resources in a good way. Again many thanks for that, and for the videos.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:52 AM

View PostIonova Kerensky, on 20 April 2019 - 12:47 AM, said:

Really thanks a lot for putting all this together, Koniving. I am taking that extense expertise and converting it into something that allows me to understand my goals. As a newbie, my comments about trial mechs and so are truly out of a good understanding, but I'm slowly getting in the right direction, and despite the grind, I am definitely finding myself more comfortable with my mechs, finding their strong/weak points and understanding how to customize and to use the resources in a good way. Again many thanks for that, and for the videos.

You're welcome.

The trial mechs, admittedly, are pre-customized as opposed to stock.. If you take a stock mech and a trial mech, yes the stock mech is going to be flat out inferior in terms of MWO (now if you put those into the source material Battletech's tabletop, often they are either on par or the MWO trial mechs are walking death traps compared to the stock mechs, but this is due to a bad translation of how the material works and what you would face; you only face mechs and turrets here and in BT you'll face everything from infantry to space ships doing orbital bombardments and tanks that can rip mechs in half with cannon fire).

A few quick things that may help you be a bit more effective in the field:

Every machine is split into 11 hitboxes. Two arms, two legs, 6 torso sections (3 front, 3 rear) and the head (which is usually just one of the window panes because headshots were too easy). Blowing off two legs will kill something (in MWO), destroying a side torso if it has an IS XL engine will fry the engine and kill it, two side torsos for an IS LFE / Clan XL will fry the engine... and for standard engines you have to get the center torso (though that'll work on everything).

Most things tend to have weak back armor. Sometimes you'll find what I call a turtle, it's someone that's boated all the armor or most of it on the back. They're rare, usually on a medium with a hitbox friendly toward it or light, always with high speed, with the idea of hit and run; everyone's a sucker for going for backshots which is why that works.

#15 Ionova Kerensky

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 02:55 PM

Hi guys,

Now after a few weeks of my post, I would like to thank you all for your comments, since they really helped me out getting in the right way and experimenting the game without too much of a waste of credits or time.

Now I can definitely say I was wrong with the mediums, since I love them and for the moment my playstyle is much more adapted to what a medium can offer me than with heavys or assaults.

All your key tips and comments were truly important to help me a lot on this, so I thank you all again for your time (since some responses were quite extensive) spent on a newbie. Hopefully now we can discuss at another level of expertise at some stage.

Thanks guys, keep up this amazing community.

#16 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:39 PM

If you are looking for suggestions on medium Mechs, I myself mostly play Mediums and Heavies, too, and I highly favour really tanky IS Medium Mechs. My two favourite Mechs, ever, are the following two, using slightly different builds.

Crab 27:

Bushwacker X1:

The Crab has awesome utility anytime the games are heavy on missiles... The Bushwacker is really doing quite good damage... Both are very sturdy. I recommend them to everybody that starts playing. :)

#17 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 04 May 2019 - 03:49 AM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 03 May 2019 - 10:39 PM, said:

The Crab has awesome utility anytime the games are heavy on missiles... The Bushwacker is really doing quite good damage... Both are very sturdy. I recommend them to everybody that starts playing. :)

I like the Crab and Bushwacker too; an important note is that the Bushwackers are expensive for a newer player because they all use XL engines, but they're currently on sale in-game for the 'MW3 and Cinco de Mayo' event so it's a good time to grind c-bills to get one (or two, or three). The 275XL engine that comes with a Bushwacker is a pretty decent engine for a second line mech or a fast light like a Raven or Wolfhound, or can be sold if you really need the c-bills though a good rule of thumb is 'never sell engines'. The BSW-X1 has a nice triple AC5 build that can use the 275XL engine because the range of the AC5 allows it to effectively do damage from second line, lessening the chance you'll get a side torso targeted.

Getting a Bushwacker (X1 and X2 are my favourites along with the P1, though the P1 is a bit of a one-trick pony so I'd suggest the X1 or X2 for a newer player) and a few Light Fusion Engines makes good economic sense because engines are on sale now too. The 280LFE, 300LFE, and 250LFE are good engine choices because they're used heavily in popular Bushwacker builds. The 300LFE gets a 55 ton mech going 88kph, the 280LFE means 82.5kph, and the 250LFE is 74kph (slow for a medium, but those build have you rocking dual LB10Xes or dual AC10s).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users