Airstrike Campers In Solaris

Game Play

52 replies to this topic

#21 UnkerZ

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:47 AM

Oh tell me that LBX Anni hiding in Steiner spawn for the whole match while I spend 5 minutes trying to draw angles of every kind from outside only to find out there is no line of sight into his corner without facing LBX face time.

#22 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:24 AM

View PostMadDach5und, on 23 July 2019 - 08:00 AM, said:

I'm trying to understand why someone who is almost obliterated is supposed to just stand still and let the other person kill them. Avoiding death is not 'nonsense'.

I will admit I prefer fighting in smaller mechs, and try my best to encourage the fatties to step out of their wall pockets and actually engage - but if I am down to 40% and two guns - I will hide myself and make THEM move to finish me off. The stupid idea that I'm supposed to blindfold myself and light a cigarette and wait for someone to do their worst is pushed by a lot of lazy and impatient players who don't want to actually work to earn their damage points.

Literally no one is asking you to give up, and there’s no reason to if you can still fight. Play peak a boo and snipe. But if you’re unarmed and hide the only thing you’re doing by running is trying to hurt the other player out of spite.

#23 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 24 July 2019 - 03:53 AM

View PostMakenzie71, on 23 July 2019 - 10:24 AM, said:

Literally no one is asking you to give up, and there’s no reason to if you can still fight. Play peak a boo and snipe. But if you’re unarmed and hide the only thing you’re doing by running is trying to hurt the other player out of spite.

And what exactly makes it impossible for you to move off your camping point and find and kill him? ... You choose to bring a slow mech you only got yourself to blame for inability to chase/find a squirrel. The funny thing is tho ... it is literally impossible to hide in a Solaris match because maps are tiny and there is plenty of time to look everywhere even in a 40kph Annihilator. You just need to actually, ya know ... look. Only ones who complain about "hiding" are the ones who are too scared to move off their camping site.
It works both ways ... if say a 8xAC2 Dire isn't moving anyway and camps open ground vs a Micro-lasers Piranha that isn't dashing into said open ground to become cannon fodder then they are BOTH not engaging and are totally deserving a tie with appropriate Elo losses.

#24 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 24 July 2019 - 04:05 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 24 July 2019 - 03:53 AM, said:

And what exactly makes it impossible for you to move off your camping point and find and kill him?

There is simply no way you could possibly construct an argument in favor of hiding and forcing a draw after losing a match in every technical sense excepting the most literal that will make me say "oh well I guess he wasn't a complete **** after all."

#25 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 24 July 2019 - 04:10 AM

View PostMakenzie71, on 24 July 2019 - 04:05 AM, said:

There is simply no way you could possibly construct an argument in favor of hiding and forcing a draw

Exactly. Except for when "hiding" happens both sides are hiding.

View PostMakenzie71, on 24 July 2019 - 04:05 AM, said:

... after losing a match in every technical sense ...

Except match isn't lost until you kill the guy. And your inability to kill the guy means exactly that match isn't lost in any kind of sense.

#26 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 July 2019 - 05:34 AM

Small PSA: The draw penalty is equal to loss penalty. If you force a draw, you're not gaining anything over a loss, you're just being a ****.

#27 Fae Puka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:09 PM

Seriously! PGI take something seriously; seriously?

the only thing PGI take is your money and will to live when they don't listen to sound feedback across the player base, at least those willing to contribute to a positive development of the game . . .

#28 MadDach5und

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:20 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 24 July 2019 - 03:53 AM, said:

It works both ways ... if say a 8xAC2 Dire isn't moving anyway and camps open ground vs a Micro-lasers Piranha that isn't dashing into said open ground to become cannon fodder then they are BOTH not engaging and are totally deserving a tie with appropriate Elo losses.

I'd like to make the argument that there are plenty of assaults who do NOT camp 'Open Ground'. Being 'Open' implies they can be approached from any angle. Backing up against a wall is a common defensive move - but digging in like a tick and not moving before any engagement even starts - what is that? They are certainly not on 'Open Ground'.

Tie fighters deserve their points punishment. But the sheer numbers of max tonnage mechs on these leader boards pretty much proves that this game type does not award strategy over mass. A more realistic matchup for these Solaris divisions based on how the game is played should be grouped by weight more than any other configuration.

Brawling 1 on 1 with two Arctic Wolf Missile Mechs was a blast - far more exciting than most matches - but it has only happened once since I started playing Solaris - and I have no idea if or when it may happen again.

#29 M E X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 381 posts
  • Locationg-town, Vienna, Austria, EU.

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:24 AM

View PostDionnsai, on 01 May 2019 - 04:13 AM, said:

View PostMakenzie71, on 28 April 2019 - 12:38 PM, said:

Oh neat the “if I can’t win, you can’t win either” folks are SUPER popular here.

I would like to take a moment to draw your attention to the Code of Conduct, particularly the section titled “Non-participation”. Drawing out a match unnecessarily, as well as forcing a tie because you’ve decided you don’t like the way the match went, is prohibited via the code of conduct, as is making defamatory and/or non-constructive comments through chat.
We would never know because PGI would never confirm it? A big problem with PGI's silent treatment policy around violations, it's hard to know just how seriously they take this stuff sometimes…
They dont take this offense TOO SERIOUS, or they would have banned me forever YEARS AGO !

IF you are not able to finish my weaponless or crippled mech, even if you are up to 12 against me alone,
its your fault ;-P

There are not that many places where you can hide in each map … and as long as the matchmaker keeps putting me in the loosing team up to 20+ times in a row I want at least THAT BIT OF ENTERTAINMENT from MW0 !

PS: to save time for everyone, I would prefer a option which allows me to retreat from a a game WITHOUT HAVING TO DESTROY MY MECH !
EG.: AUTO-win for the other team if every other mech in the other team is powered down or without input from keyboard or mouse for at least 2min … or the option to take command of your team and CLAIM VICTORY for at least 2min without beeing hit by enemy weapons which also reveals your postion on the map to all enemy players with a big red flashing dot ( similar to seismic dots )

Edited by M E X, 01 August 2019 - 06:46 AM.

#30 MadDach5und

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:45 AM

I wasted a couple hard points on an Arctic Wolf mech with a Narc and an LRM 5

It doesn't do diddly-squat for damage on an Annihilator, but it is the equivalent of a cattle prod to get them moving. I think they want to chase me down merely because I was stupid enough to put a LRM on a Solaris mech.

#31 Gilgamecc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:57 PM

View PostMadDach5und, on 23 July 2019 - 08:00 AM, said:

The leadership board of Solaris is totally dominated by max weight mech pilots - which really doesn't lead credence to the idea that superior tactics can overcome size and armor - at least not for most. Forcing movement will definitely bring more variety to these 1v1 and 2v2 death matches. That's all I am looking for.

That's not true in Divs 3, 6, or 7

#32 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:59 AM

After 3 minutes, creating a 30s domination circle in the center is what smart devs would do.

#33 MadDach5und

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:15 PM

Played last night in 2 matches consecutively against a Top 20 player in his 100 ton mech with my Arctic Wolf. Only took a few seconds to realize his aim and firepower would be impossible to take head-on, so I played him slow, sideways and deliberate - and inflicted more damage than he did. I didn't win - but neither did he. His record in now smudged by two ties. Neener-neener.

I give him credit for actually roving that big mech around trying to glance damage when I peeked around corners and such when so many usually just plant and fire.

If you sniff through the current leader boards, there is next to nothing for mechs the medium or light categories. It's hard to find anything less than assault class even deep into Division 5. Even Division 7 is mostly led by pilots in the 40-45 ton range. If finesse was points in Solaris, there would be a helluva lot more diversity in those boards.

#34 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:31 PM

Wouldn't it be more amusing to just have 'Duncan Fisher' start heckling the players and deduct some points for lack of entertainment value for the peanut gallery?

#35 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:02 AM

I think it'd be more fun if the crowds booed and threw garbage at both players.

Edited by Prototelis, 24 August 2019 - 02:28 PM.

#36 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:22 AM

Duncan Fisher with a mocking reminder that a draw costs you as much SSD as a loss.

#37 Dar1ng One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 227 posts
  • LocationArena Contender Royal

Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:52 AM

Just getting a 2 vs 2 match would be an achievement at the moment.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yes

Nopop-cellent!

#38 Robinhood78

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Hauptmann
  • Hauptmann
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWestmont, IL USA

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:59 PM

View PostDar1ng One, on 02 September 2019 - 12:52 AM, said:

Just getting a 2 vs 2 match would be an achievement at the moment.

I've never managed to get one at all myself. Though I'm pretty green when it comes to Solaris.

FWIW I'm online for a very short time nearly every night except friday (that's my group night) around 9:30pm central US time. If I had more games I'd be on longer :P

#39 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:00 PM

As the obvious outsider, what would happen if UAVs were allowed in general? Just curious as to how outbalanced it would make it as far as an exploit, versus simply lighting up the stealth campers. Not that you need locks, in general, but if that's your thing and you want to waste the cbills and/or SP...would it matter?

#40 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:15 PM

I can only see the benefit of someone trying to make it a draw and play keep away. Don't see much point of having a UAV unless you lack complete situational awareness.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users