How To Fix 60 Ton Disease

123 replies to this topic

#1 Skippy The Danger Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:05 AM

I am not sure how to deal with this phenomenon. Every mech that I have that is 60 tons, plain sucks. They are too slow to deal with mediums and lights, too under gunned and way too under armored to deal with real heavies and assaults.

I've been grinding away with my loyalty Rifleman for two days now and hate it. The hit boxes are huge, the armor is non existent and it has no structure.

Anyone figure out a way to make these glass cannons viable?

#2 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:10 AM

?

You are riflemaning wrong.

#3 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:11 AM

Just Play the 60 ton mechs as support mechs for your team. You don't have to face real heavies or assaults because it's a Team game (ok, there is Solaris 7 for duelists Posted Image ).

And by the way, the Rifleman has high mounted hardpoints, use them to easylie shoot over hills….

Edited by Snowhawk, 30 April 2019 - 10:15 AM.

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:12 AM

Vulture is good at boating missiles.

Quickdraw IV-4 is good with MRMs (but the C-Bill Quickdraws are all completely useless, you have to pay MC if you want a viable variant of this chassis).

Rifleman is a good poker.

Dragon has one viable variant/build, the dakka one.

Champions seem good (probably the best 60-tonner besides IV-4) but I don't have one myself to fully elaborate on.

Hellfire...yeah that one just sucks.

Edited by FupDup, 30 April 2019 - 10:12 AM.

#5 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:13 AM

The Riflemen work(ed) pretty well in Solaris actually.

But yes, it's a fire support 'Mech, and a good one at it.

#6 Sergeant Destroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:15 AM

Tried a hellfire? Mine runs 84kph without/106 with masc, has an ultra 10 and 4x srm6/a.

Edited by Sergeant Destroy, 30 April 2019 - 11:09 AM.

#7 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:18 AM

Only Rifleman build I truly enjoyed is quad AC2. Even then you want to harass or support larger mechs. Not square off with heavies unless you have an edge, like being well outside of their effective range. Try dual AC10s? /Shrug

#8 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:28 AM

On the "glass" issue in general, have you been maxing out your armor and structure nodes in the survival tree? That might help.

For the Rifleman you may want to consider the Legend Killer for its innate structure quirks and still having weapon quirks as good as or better than the more fragile variants (funny how it's always the hero variants that work that way...).

Edited by FupDup, 30 April 2019 - 10:28 AM.

#9 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:40 AM

View PostFupDup, on 30 April 2019 - 10:12 AM, said:

Champions seem good (probably the best 60-tonner besides IV-4) but I don't have one myself to fully elaborate on.

GET ONE!

#10 Skippy The Danger Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:44 AM

Right now I'm running the -8D(L) with max survival quirks. The thing I noticed is there are no RT/CT/LT structure bonuses, while the legs and arms got buffed.

The only build I've found to work so far is 2 AC/5, 4 med lasers. Fair dps, good for some ranged combat. It is a grind to play though. Compared to my 65t Jagermech, this is a lightweight.

#11 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:02 AM

Posted Image no i dont rage about everyone beeing useless movement cripples again...
but hint: play them like mediums. not like heavies. dont facefight. dont stare at anything.
(rifleman is the exeption here)
most of them NEED XL yes. doesnt matter much. they are glasscannons anyway.
dragons/quickdraws can spread damage nicely.

dragon can run 2 snub nose ppc's/lbx combos nicely at speed, quickdraws can jump-ppc/ er llas just nicely and alot more weapon combinations.

you just gotta move well and dont nascar like morons.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:07 AM

O.o;

Bare minimum skill tree to get advanced zoom. Nothing else. First time using it (used GXP to get it to where it is). Just treat it like a Jagermech.

And everyone says I suck...
So if I can do it, don't see why you can't. Keep at it, try to think of it differently from others.

My personal favorite Rifleman and one of my cash cows is the Legend Killer.

#13 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:20 AM

RFL-5D
RFL-3N
QKD-4G
CHP-1N2
Don't be afraid of extra gun.

#14 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:46 AM

Posted ImageDRG-1C 1LBX10, 4 mlas, 1 srm6
XL300

I been chasing stormcrows and stuff with it since invasion 1 to the point where someone said Dragons are OP Posted Image
stop adjusting the mechs to your playstyle. that limits the mechs dramatically.
adjust your playstyle/loadout to the way they should been played and you will see improvement.

as you see, its not necessarily a killer. its a supporter/harrasser, just heavy.

Edited by Alienized, 30 April 2019 - 11:48 AM.

#15 Gilgamecc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:53 AM

The Rifleman is ton-for-ton the strongest offensive mech in the game, and it is perfectly suited to playing a defense-through-firepower role as well.

It's the 9mm of MWO, it's basically impossible to beat in terms of utility for the tonnage.

8xMPL@77kph, 2xHPPC+6xSL @ 67kph, 2xLB10x+6xSL @67kph, 4xAC2/LB2x, ERPPC with 1000 meter optimal range and shoulder mounts.

It's a great mech with beautiful hitboxes and sublime mounts.

My basic Faction deck includes three Riflemen of whatever build I think is best for the map and mode.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Gilgamecc, 30 April 2019 - 11:58 AM.

#16 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:13 PM

bit older, switched to mrm10's but still same playstyle.
constantly checking map and movement is most important on it. when to fall back, when to support, when to go in.
above 700 dmg that battle, beeing able to engage at mutliple ranges. (dont mind the aim. i know its awful at times >:>)

#17 Avlaen

• PipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:19 PM

same happens to 80 tonners, dont have the armour or durability of proper assaults, lack the mobility and effectiveness of heavys

#18 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:23 PM

I can't comment on many of the 60s but riflemans pretty decent as a hill humper, unlocked arms can also swing down to shoot ankle biters that think they are too short to be hit or enemies far up/below you. Dragons outside of 'duh mehtah' do best with speed, quickdraws would be okay if jump jets didnt jump up to the 1ton catagory that really hurts them - and the IV's quirks are overcranked to hell if PGI ever does a balance pass on quirks again I fully expect that one to get taken to town like a pinata.

Overall they suffer from the same sort of issue low end assaults have - your taking up a slot that could be potentially held by a mech 15 tons heavier (20 tons in the case of assaults). Im of the opinion that as far as matchmaker is concerned the medium slots should count 40-60tons and heavy should be 65-80tonners. (granted some days it looks like it will take anything it can get, iv seen heavies in alpha lance before, but generally speaking I mean.)

#19 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:29 PM

View PostAvlaen, on 30 April 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

same happens to 80 tonners, dont have the armour or durability of proper assaults, lack the mobility and effectiveness of heavys

i guess i still have to prove alot of ppl wrong in here....
you need to stop pushing mechs into roles they dont belong. thats the failure of the majority.
you try to play like /Fight much heavier mechs which is not going to end well.
its not the mech that needs to change, its your playstyle.
always will be like that.

#20 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:31 PM

View PostSkrapiron, on 30 April 2019 - 10:05 AM, said:

I am not sure how to deal with this phenomenon. Every mech that I have that is 60 tons, plain sucks. They are too slow to deal with mediums and lights, too under gunned and way too under armored to deal with real heavies and assaults.

I've been grinding away with my loyalty Rifleman for two days now and hate it. The hit boxes are huge, the armor is non existent and it has no structure.

Anyone figure out a way to make these glass cannons viable?

The mech isnt the problem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users