Silly Question : What Will Happen To Mwo When Mw5 Hits ?

44 replies to this topic

#1 FlareUKCS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 233 posts
  • LocationWales , UK.

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:36 PM

I am rather curious about this, as MW5 MP will be MWO but upgraded... I mean it aint gonna be single player only, so what stops the devs making MW5 MWO2 ? Will MWO be a thing after MW5 hits ?

I aint against the idea of a better MWO but... I dont want to pay again for mechs as micro's to be honest, but if MW5 doesnt have micros why play that instead of MWO... it seems a mess.
How do you make MW5 good enough to pause on MWO but not ruin MWO ?

Will the players simply move on to MW5 and MWO goes bye bye ?

#2 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:41 PM

MW5 is not a replacement for MWO. MW5 can only hold your attention for so long, given that it's PvE only.

#3 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:46 PM

I think MW5 will be a fun week of play, and then I'll go back to MWO.

And then later on I'll revisit once the community figures out what mods are good.

Edited by BlaizerP, 20 April 2019 - 06:00 PM.

#4 FlareUKCS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 233 posts
  • LocationWales , UK.

Posted 20 April 2019 - 06:13 PM

This assumes that MW5 will be single player only, but that is a poor assumption, you cant micro SP games as much I mean the AI aint gonna be impressed right ?
IF, and IF MW5 has a solid MP, how is that not gonna rip players out of MWO ?

#5 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 06:21 PM

View PostFlareUKCS, on 20 April 2019 - 06:13 PM, said:

This assumes that MW5 will be single player only, but that is a poor assumption, you cant micro SP games as much I mean the AI aint gonna be impressed right ?
IF, and IF MW5 has a solid MP, how is that not gonna rip players out of MWO ?

It's not SP-only, it has cooperative play. But it is not PvP and PGI has said so.

#6 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 06:49 PM

when you 1st launch MWO it says piranha games 2012-2019 there may not be an MWO in 2020 till they announce an extension of their license.

#7 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 20 April 2019 - 06:51 PM

View PostNapoleon_Blownapart, on 20 April 2019 - 06:49 PM, said:

when you 1st launch MWO it says piranha games 2012-2019 there may not be an MWO in 2020 till they announce an extension of their license.

It also says that because PGI doesn't have time travel and it's not 2020 yet.

#8 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:33 PM

Mechwarrior 5 is launching on the Unreal Engine with full mod support, and multiplayer netcode in place to allow 4 players to play co op within missions. With this given information, I predict that modders will jump on the game and expand the netcode beyond 4 players and introduce PvP within weeks. The concerns some players have of the mechs being stock with limited weapon loadout choices and swapping will probably be tossed out the window with a new modded system of a mechbay, more than likely very crude at the start. Add to this that additional maps of large size will probably be developed and put on a mod nexus or some such.

So... I think it comes down to the play style of MWO and MW 5 and their differences that will attract different crowds of people. MWO has somewhat fast paced combat and very responsive robots in comparison to the MW 5 footage we were shown, where the battlemechs seemed to handle much more like vehicles with restricted stopping, starting, and turns. Honestly though, the mech's agility profiles with MW 5 will probably be subject to modding too. So hell. I think MW 5 is going to open a huge can of worms with the topic of MWO having competition for remaining players.

#9 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:54 PM

This game will be dead as **** for a few weeks to a month, we'll get a huge player surge, then it'll go back to normal.

#10 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:57 PM

Pretty much what has already been said. It's going to be Coop only. No built in options for PVP. They're allowing modding. So the possibility of someone modding in pvp is there. But there's always a possibility of them banning the mod. Especially they're doing it through Steam Workshop. Other studios have done it before. Like blizzard. Though if they lose the license, I don't think they'll care.

#11 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:02 AM

Well, i dont think that MW5 will have Players leave MWO for good.
Those who still stick around since long have reason to go and opted not to...

Maybe with good timing on the release date they may be able to capture some attention from new Players not familiar with Battletech that cross over and increase the Playerbase of MWO for their PvP-Lust.

And modded accorddingly MWO may not only feed the PvE Lust but may be able to allow some Scenario-RPG also.

A growing Playerbase can only be good regardless if they change and switch between the games as they like - it is a common pool for future products of all kind.

#12 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:08 AM

Maybe it´ll start a Mech-renaissance, who knoweth .
Let´s see what happens, shall we ?

#13 Bloodwitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:49 AM

I'd rather play mw4 pvp with 1 pixel gauss er large sniper bs then playing pve only.

#14 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:36 AM

MW5 hits and is single-player with co-op and people play it, new people get interest in MechWarrior and look for actual multiplayer, can't find it so they look and find MWO. MWO gets an uptick in player population.

MWO built the funds for MW5, and in return MW5 will bring new players into MWO.
One is SP the other MP so they compliment each other.

Edited by Acersecomic, 21 April 2019 - 03:37 AM.

#15 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:55 AM

Posted Image

#16 Obiwayne

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGermany, Cologne

Posted 21 April 2019 - 04:59 AM

Why so negative? If they implement modding the right way, theres a lot to be expected as there is a very active modding community around battletech.
My main concern is that the game will be too easy and tech-wise watered down so everyone feels comfortable. There will probably be no Arrows, no Longtoms, no Thunderbolts, no Hyper Gaussrifles, no different ammo types, a lot less effective sensors/ECMs and so on.
All those things and more could be made by modders, which they already did for the Battletech PC game. I dont expect much but would be hyped if everything can be modded from scratch.

As for the engine, it would be a total waste if they dont use it for a future multiplayer project. However I wouldnt count on them letting you keep all your stuff when they make a new MWO.

#17 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 05:40 AM

Russ mentioned in a recent AMA that they are not planning to migrate MWO to a new engine, but if MW5 becomes a huge success and makes infinite money, anything will become possible.

I wouldn't even mind not having all of my old mechs. I have gotten my moneys worth from all I have paid for.

What I am really hoping for is MW5 network code migrating to MWO.

#18 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 21 April 2019 - 05:55 AM

View PostFireStoat, on 20 April 2019 - 07:33 PM, said:

Mechwarrior 5 is launching on the Unreal Engine with full mod support ...

I really hope people are not putting all of their eggs in this single basket.

View PostThorqemada, on 21 April 2019 - 12:02 AM, said:

Maybe with good timing on the release date they may be able to capture some attention from new Players not familiar with Battletech ...

Capturing the attention of new players requires effective advertising.

#19 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:42 AM

The more good games you have on the robo-shooter genre, the bigger the pie of the genre becomes and becomes better for all games within it.

#20 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:21 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 20 April 2019 - 07:57 PM, said:

Pretty much what has already been said. It's going to be Coop only. No built in options for PVP. They're allowing modding. So the possibility of someone modding in pvp is there. But there's always a possibility of them banning the mod. Especially they're doing it through Steam Workshop. Other studios have done it before. Like blizzard. Though if they lose the license, I don't think they'll care.

They can't ban mods on the Nexus, especially in a peer to peer environment where we aren't connecting to PGI servers at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users