Loyalists In Faction Play - Design Discussion

429 replies to this topic

#421 Deathshade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • Locationplaying Planetary / Community Warfare / Faction Warfare / Faction Play

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:05 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 17 June 2019 - 12:21 PM, said:

Still filling out the design spec. Would estimate about 75% done.

When it came to my last post about jumping sides for a match to kick a match off... original intent was not to allow Loyalist players to play for Factions outside of their Faction/Alliance/Clan vs IS Faction. e.g. Conflict is Kurita vs Davion. You are loyal to Kurita. If the current queue is 23/9 for Kurita, you would not be able to switch to balance the queue. This would lead to queue balancing being in the hands of Mercenaries and Freelancers. The reason I asked that last question is, there were a few voices here saying you should be able to swap to balance the MM queue. To me and a few others, this isn't something a Loyalist should be doing. But at the same time, there's a valid point to kicking off a match so at least something is happening.

Another thing that I see in some posts and definitely needs clarification... Freelancers and Mercenary Units do NOT earn LP. Not sure where that notion came from or if it was just a miscommunication on the poster's part. Freelancers earn extra XP, Merc Units earn CB and RP (Reputation Points for their ranks).

The points are meaningless unless we have a reason to gather them. Having a hero's rank to achieve in one to three months doesn't sound appealing for most. Create some immediate benefits to continue fighting or we will continue to be the in the same boat. New stuff is great for a little while but then it is going to go back to the same salt.

#422 Charles Sennet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • 387 posts
  • LocationCurrently obscured by ECM

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:23 PM

View PostMiZia, on 17 June 2019 - 12:55 PM, said:

Pretty much this.
I dont give a f. about people that will stick to her/his loyalty but never plays a Match in FP. I would be happy to change / join opposite Faction if the one im in is overpopulated. We want games, not fluff.

Agree with an asterisk that people should also be able to stay in the faction they want. The 'team jersey' you display holds high importance for many.

#423 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:15 PM

View PostSilentScreamer, on 15 June 2019 - 06:58 AM, said:

This is an example of why it might be a better design to heavily guide majority of players to Mercenary or Freelancer career rather than Loyalist.

A true Loyalist is like a sports fan (short for fanatic):
- If your team is playing, you never root/bet against them.
- If your team's rival is playing, you always root/bet against them. (allowing for "Enemy of my enemy..." exception).
- As long as your team doesn't move, change names or disolve; they are your team. You NEVER switch.

The whole concept of having to be a Loyalist in order to reap full rewards of Faction Play means players who are more interested in maximizing profit (reward wise) switch from Loyalist faction to Loyalist faction.

Avoid this behavior by:
- Eliminating Faction choices from Freelancers and Mercenaries. Select Career only.
- Mercenaries and Freelancers would automatically be put in the queue for whichever side has less players actually in queue for a match at that moment.
- Loyalists queue for their Faction Loyalty, be it the actual Faction or the alliances you [Paul] outlined earlier.
- Changing the Reward system so everyone receives full Faction Point Rewards at all times:
a) Loyalist earn Loyalty points for only their Loyalist Faction, regardless of who they queue for.
b) Freelancers and Mercs earn Loyalty Points for whichever Faction they are fighting for that match.

When it came to my last post about jumping sides for a match to kick a match off... original intent was not to allow Loyalist players to play for Factions outside of their Faction/Alliance/Clan vs IS Faction. e.g. Conflict is Kurita vs Davion. You are loyal to Kurita. If the current queue is 23/9 for Kurita, you would not be able to switch to balance the queue. This would lead to queue balancing being in the hands of Mercenaries and Freelancers. The reason I asked that last question is, there were a few voices here saying you should be able to swap to balance the MM queue. To me and a few others, this isn't something a Loyalist should be doing. But at the same time, there's a valid point to kicking off a match so at least something is happening.

Another thing that I see in some posts and definitely needs clarification... Freelancers and Mercenary Units do NOT earn LP. Not sure where that notion came from or if it was just a miscommunication on the poster's part. Freelancers earn extra XP, Merc Units earn CB and RP (Reputation Points for their ranks).

Hi Paul, I can't speak for other's posts, but the intent of my post was not to imply that Freelancers and Mercenary Units do or will earn Loyalty Points as part of your redesigmed alliance conflict system.

Rather, the point was to suggest that Freelancers/Mercenaries/Loyalists all SHOULD be earning at the same rate per match to avoid players switching Faction or Career in-between matches just to maximize rewards.

Switching Faction or Career to balance the match queue is a different but related issue. From my experience in CW beta 2 and Faction Play since Invasiin Wave 3 was released players can't be trusted to balance the queue themselves. The playerbase tends to dogpile on one side.

#424 Gandhi1

Rookie

• The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:20 PM

My unit isn't really heavy in FP, but there are a few of us that do it and enjoy it. We are mercs and tend to go to the side with a smaller population to help balance and get matches. the few of us might not be breaking, but it does help a little.

#425 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:29 PM

Indeed Mercs earn Rep Points.

Remembering that many players have or are at near max for the Merc Tree as well. Just like many Loyalists for the LP tree.

So when increasing the Loyalist career option the Merc one needs extension as well. That is if you want people to keep playing Merc and thus trying to balance the queues etc. That will certainly offer decent incentive.

#426 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:03 PM

Permanent Loyalists and temp loyalists would have to break their contract to switch, with permanent loyalists having a price in MC and temp loyalists having a cost in cbills? If so, then we're good

#427 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:35 PM

New post/summary document is here: https://mwomercs.com...design-spec-v1/

#428 3fl0w

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 5 posts
  • LocationOKC

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:04 AM

I think Maybe Opening Invasion on certain times and leaving scout open 24/7 would be great.
A team will spended all day Sat. to take a planet then Mon. it gets spamed and there's nothing but pugs defending it. It become who has more time thing. But if Scout was open there would be FP and who ever put that time in would have the best advantage for the weekend war.

Also I think that the map shouldn't be reset tell all of IS or Clan is wiped off the map. People loyal to those that get wiped should be forced to Merc./Freelance or support a Clan/IS still alive.

Maybe for Loyalist / Merc if you move and come back you're busted back down to the beginning
If you think about it. If you switch fields in any work you'll have to start all over again.
The only thing you'd get to take with you is your experience and contacts.

Edited by 3fl0w, 27 July 2019 - 08:13 AM.

#429 Omniseed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:33 AM

Players only faction hop to get matches or to play a different tech base, there is no story layer to FP that makes locked-in loyalty make sense.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users