Lower Fps Online?

27 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:49 PM

So I'm mulling over the fact that I have to play 18-22 FPS on MWO at most maps, 11 at Solaris City. But then when I play at Testing Grounds, I get 50 FPS, WTF?

Is this natural with other Online FPS Games? Or is it Cry Engine being sucky? Or is it MWO being poorly build? or perhaps PGI is mining bit-coin under our noses? :P

#2 Shanrak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 05:02 PM

When you are in testing grounds your mech is the only one active, when online, there are 23 other players with mechs being rendered. Cry Engine is sucky, this game isn't optimized, but also your machine is bad.

#3 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,740 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 27 May 2019 - 05:46 PM

View PostShanrak, on 27 May 2019 - 05:02 PM, said:

When you are in testing grounds your mech is the only one active, when online, there are 23 other players with mechs being rendered. Cry Engine is sucky, this game isn't optimized, but also your machine is bad.

Cryengine 3rd version beta was heavily modified by PGI, and the loks who had worked on it are no longer at PGI.

To build up on this, proving grounds has almost no overhead due to only one player being connected. Tis one of the reason while for many players whose machines were borderline took a hit when 12vs12 went live.

Have you watered your potatoe lately :) ? Your Feb post along similar lines Posted Image and playing on a laptop...

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__6224102

#4 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 06:58 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 27 May 2019 - 04:49 PM, said:

So I'm mulling over the fact that I have to play 18-22 FPS on MWO at most maps, 11 at Solaris City. But then when I play at Testing Grounds, I get 50 FPS, WTF?

Is this natural with other Online FPS Games? Or is it Cry Engine being sucky? Or is it MWO being poorly build? or perhaps PGI is mining bit-coin under our noses? Posted Image

How bad your machine is? I could play MWO with ~30FPS on 3rd-4th gen integrated Intel video. On the lowest settings and definitely not 4k resolution of course.

#5 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:00 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 27 May 2019 - 05:46 PM, said:

Have you watered your potatoe lately Posted Image ? Your Feb post along similar lines Posted Image and playing on a laptop...

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__6224102

Well, I'm not rich. I wish I could game on a better PC, but this is what I got. You think I could crowdfund e-beg for 2000$ so I could get a Predator Helios 500? Lol.

Posted Image

I prolly shouldn't. Cause there's people who probably need the money than I do. I hear El-Bandito got some problems.

View PostMrMadguy, on 27 May 2019 - 06:58 PM, said:

How bad your machine is? I could play MWO with ~30FPS on 3rd-4th gen integrated Intel video. On the lowest settings and definitely not 4k resolution of course.

Acer Aspire V3 574G

I don't have good results, but you tell me.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 27 May 2019 - 07:08 PM.

#6 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:17 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 27 May 2019 - 07:00 PM, said:

Acer Aspire V3 574G

My Lenovo Ideapad Y510P has worse GPU but a better processor so I can play MWO on low settings and get close to 40fps avg. So, yeah, that processor is hindering you.

A few of ASUS Tuf series laptops are good enough to play most games and aren't that expensive, relatively speaking. They usually come with i5 8300H or something with 8GB RAM and gtx 1050ti GPU and also an SSD.

#7 MrVaad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:59 PM

The biggest problem with laptops (in my opinion) is they can't use their full power because they would overheat (ie CPU + GPU at a high % usage).
And the icing on the cake, companies use CPU and GPU with the same names as desktop parts, but with lower frequencies/less cores.
For example, in this ACER, the i7 CPU from 2015 has 2 cores/4 threads 3ghz max, but an i7 from 2011 has 4cores/8threads and 3.8ghz max :(

Edited by MrVaad, 27 May 2019 - 09:13 PM.

#8 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 28 May 2019 - 12:38 AM

I just upgraded my internet connection speed from 20 Mbit/s to 104Mbit/s.. And I still get lag, and my average framrate is still the same..

Still have the same ping..

So yeah.. it's not the rig.. it's the game..

#9 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 12:54 AM

its normal for online play to have a heavier "weight" on the machine..

#10 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 12:54 AM

Your Internet Connection does not define the FPS your hardware can create. Online games need a fraction of data to be send, it is in the Kbyte ranges. Your connection to the server is more important for your ping. MWO servers are ok, having a 10 - 20 ping on european servers. There is a difference between lag, connection issue, and stuttering, hardware issue. MWO has its issues but nothing a "normal" rig cant handle.

#11 Dauntless Blint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPlaying other games.

Posted 28 May 2019 - 01:18 AM

The engine is outdated and poorly optimized IMO. I can be putting out 3000rpm with real physics in warthunder and rarely have a problem but in MWO sometimes coupled with bad lag weapons won't even fire. When the air is filled with projectiles it can be worse.
Part of it is probably lower population bad pings.

#12 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:34 AM

I recently upgraded my computer. But eh. I haven't felt the urge to get on MWO in a while... Been playing Roguetech instead. They just keep adding more and making it better.

Edited by MechaBattler, 28 May 2019 - 09:34 AM.

#13 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:33 PM

View PostMrVaad, on 27 May 2019 - 08:59 PM, said:

The biggest problem with laptops (in my opinion) is they can't use their full power because they would overheat (ie CPU + GPU at a high % usage).
And the icing on the cake, companies use CPU and GPU with the same names as desktop parts, but with lower frequencies/less cores.
For example, in this ACER, the i7 CPU from 2015 has 2 cores/4 threads 3ghz max, but an i7 from 2011 has 4cores/8threads and 3.8ghz max Posted Image

You have to look at the type of mobile processors. Anything with a U in it will be a low power consumption processor with few cores/lower clockspeeds. In laptops, ideally you would want the i7 with a H/HQ/HK, which have proper core numbers and decent clock speed (not quite as good as desktop, but still hits 3.9-4.1Ghz). The new i7-9750H is a 6 core/12 thread with boost to 4.5Ghz. My laptop has the previous gen i7-8750H which is 6 core/12 thread, but only boosts to 4.1Ghz (and it's HOT)

Edited by Vxheous, 28 May 2019 - 06:37 PM.

#14 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:58 PM

Acer Aspire V3 574G

This one even has discrete video, but processor is weak, yeah. 4Gb RAM is also bare minimum for 64bit OS. And yeah, laptops have too weak cooling and therefore overheat too much. Once they reach 100°C, they start to throttle. So, yeah, old desktop without discrete card, but with good cooling is better, than new laptop with relatively good discrete card. That's, why I think, that gaming laptop - is nonsense.

#15 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,740 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:38 PM

Well, I'm not rich. I wish I could game on a better PC, but this is what I got. You think I could crowdfund e-beg for 2000$ so I could get a Predator Helios 500? Lol.

I prolly shouldn't. Cause there's people who probably need the money than I do. I hear El-Bandito got some problems.

Acer Aspire V3 574G

You would not need a high end desktop computer. I had put together a used SFF HP Compag Elite 8300 office machine w/i5-3570 (3.4ghz) and added a SFF Nvidia 1050 for approx $225ish total. Without Max FPS limits, runs high 140ish to low 40 fps, average 55fps. Most desktops have a larger overhead than majority laptops, especially older laptops or the current inexpensive laptops.

Any how, can you post screen shots of game settings?

And since I do not show it being touched in the previous thread (though may have been in other threads).

1. System control Panel High Performance
2. Disable Turbo Boost setting to 98% or 97% - https://www.tautvida...el-turbo-boost/
3. Last time heatsinks/exhaust vents were clear of dust build up?
4. GPU settings, ie all settings to performance, do not enabled AA.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 28 May 2019 - 07:44 PM.

#16 0Jiggs0

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:38 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 28 May 2019 - 07:38 PM, said:

2. Disable Turbo Boost setting to 98% or 97% - https://www.tautvida...el-turbo-boost/

I gave this a try and can confirm it works. My FPS was dropping from 50 to <10 every 5-10 seconds after a few games. Since changing the settings, I've barely had a hiccup. Takes longer to load in, but that's a small price to pay. Thanks for posting this!

#17 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:54 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 28 May 2019 - 07:38 PM, said:

3. Last time heatsinks/exhaust vents were clear of dust build up?
4. GPU settings, ie all settings to performance, do not enabled AA.

Low on all settings. I don't have High-Performance setting. I put the maximum processor state battery at 99%. Yes, I cleaned it, also replaced the thermal paste with a new one.

#18 MrVaad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:56 AM

So your laptop has a CPU Intel 5200U and a GPU Nvidia 940m

This is where they stand in benchmarks :
CPU: Passmark CPU Benchmark
GPU: 3DMark GPU Benchmark

So your GPU is equal to the min required GPU
And your CPU has double the power of the min required CPU Posted Image

Just to show that MWO's min required specs are absurd, because in my mind,
min specs should allow 30fps on LOW settings.

I think your only solution is using a user.cfg to customize the game's settings.
MWO's settings won't allow you to do what you need.

Edited by MrVaad, 31 May 2019 - 12:57 AM.

#19 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:20 AM

View PostMrVaad, on 31 May 2019 - 12:56 AM, said:

So your laptop has a CPU Intel 5200U and a GPU Nvidia 940m

This is where they stand in benchmarks :
CPU: Passmark CPU Benchmark
GPU: 3DMark GPU Benchmark

So your GPU is equal to the min required GPU
And your CPU has double the power of the min required CPU Posted Image

Just to show that MWO's min required specs are absurd, because in my mind,
min specs should allow 30fps on LOW settings.

I think your only solution is using a user.cfg to customize the game's settings.
MWO's settings won't allow you to do what you need.

Like I said, your settings did help. Of course I'm still at 27 FPS now, but still that's a step up from 22.

#20 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 02:59 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 27 May 2019 - 04:49 PM, said:

Is this natural with other Online FPS Games? Or is it Cry Engine being sucky? Or is it MWO being poorly build? or perhaps PGI is mining bit-coin under our noses? Posted Image

War Thunder and World of Warships are both pretty smooth while looking graphically better in the same notebook with players up to 14 and 15 per team, with very large maps. MWO stutters once in a while on the same hardware for unknown reasons. I am running MWO in the lowest graphics setting but at the highest resolution --- this seems to be the best compromise for me in terms of frame rates and visibility.

Edited by Anjian, 31 May 2019 - 02:59 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users