#41 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 15 July 2020 - 05:49 AM

View PostXiphias, on 15 July 2020 - 05:27 AM, said:

Because tactical knowledge and positioning are important even if you aren't taking damage.

Take the case of a light harassing an assault at close range. There is a building that the light runs behind. The light can either run out from the left or change direction and run out from the right to try and get the jump on the assault mech. But wait, the assault uses target spotted and now knows exactly where the light is for several seconds, can see which side the light is coming from, and can set up to shoot them.

Scenario two: A ranged mech is trading against another one. He drops behind cover, but has been hit with target spotted (no way of knowing). When he peeks back out to trade the other side is already aimed and the spot and ready to fire, he eats a facefull of damage.

Scenario three: A light mech is being chased down by a fast medium. He uses the terrain to break line of sight and hides under a bridge to sneakily lose the medium and disengage. Unfortunately, thanks to target spotted the medium knows exact where the light was moving it is able to find and kill it.

Theses are a handful of examples, but there are many, many more that don't have anything to do with LRMs. Knowledge and information are important and giving it away with targeted spotted which is free and has absolutely no counter is the equivalent of a limited wall hack that has been implemented by PGI. It was enough of an advantage that they removed the entire command wheel from Solaris so that players couldn't use targeted spotted to track their opponents. Why would they do that if it wasn't able to give a big advantage.

I can understand how it could be an advantage in Solaris, but we're talking about the Quick Potato queue here. The place where not only T1s play with T3-4, but groups get to join in the stomping fun.

One would think that anything that helps a Tier Potato Cadet survive in a match with Tier 1-2s or anything that gives solos an equalizer against organized, premade teams would be considered a balancer.

Or, maybe that's the point. I mean, if it's all about setting things up so the new guys and solo PUGs can get harvested, why not just push for 12 man groups in QP?

#42 TheBlackBear

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:07 AM

If someone takes time to mark a target they should be rewarded with it, you can invest in sensor tree if you want to lock to not hold as long. /thread

#43 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:16 AM

I don't think the verbal call out should track when the sensors can't. But, dead horse, stick, beating, no help

#44 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:37 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 15 July 2020 - 05:49 AM, said:

I can understand how it could be an advantage in Solaris, but we're talking about the Quick Potato queue here. The place where not only T1s play with T3-4, but groups get to join in the stomping fun.

One would think that anything that helps a Tier Potato Cadet survive in a match with Tier 1-2s or anything that gives solos an equalizer against organized, premade teams would be considered a balancer.

Or, maybe that's the point. I mean, if it's all about setting things up so the new guys and solo PUGs can get harvested, why not just push for 12 man groups in QP?

The same things that make it advantageous in Solaris still make it good in 12 man matches. It might not be

Target spotted helps good players more than new/bad players. I rarely see new players using target spotted to track the movement of a target they are following. I do it all the time. It's sometimes useful to alert the team, but much more frequently useful to help fight an individual target, even if that target is far away from the rest of the team. Target spotted is just one more feature that gives an extra advantage to players that know how to use an abuse it.

Removing the tracking and just leaving a mark on the map where the mech was spotted would actually help it do it's job better (i.e. spotting targets) rather than what it's real use is now which is target tracking. Designating the target for focus fire (if it was in sight) would be fine. Tracking unseen targets without sensors is not.

View PostTheBlackBear, on 15 July 2020 - 08:07 AM, said:

If someone takes time to mark a target they should be rewarded with it, you can invest in sensor tree if you want to lock to not hold as long. /thread

You don't even know what you're talking about. Maybe understand the topic before posting with your condescending /thread.

Skill tree has no affect on the target spotted decay time. It has nothing to do with the sensor mechanics (you can spot targets outside of your sensor range). Holding sensor locks for a while after line of sight is broken is fine, magically tracking a target that you cannot see even if they have ECM/stealth/radar dep is not.

#45 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:26 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 15 July 2020 - 05:06 AM, said:

Don't understand why it's an issue. If it's out of LOS, then it's only vulnerable to indirect fire.

OH....that's the problem. I get it now. Those that rely on indirect lurms are tired of being killed by others that rely on lurms. Gotcha.

Interestingly enough, those of us that have played for more than a week and a half have already figured out that ECM and AMS prevent damage from the elite, world class LRM turrets. Imagine that.

The heck are you talking about? I never said anything about lurms...

The issue is that using target spotted allows you to track what a target is doing for a while after you usually would. So when nobody is spotting the target and sensors don't see it, they still show up on the minimap and let you see where they are going. This is a big deal to fast movers and even slower mechs if they go to peak. All for the low low cost of 0 weight, slots, skill points.

#46 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:54 AM

View Postdario03, on 15 July 2020 - 10:26 AM, said:

All for the low low cost of 0 weight, slots, skill points.

Same thing for the consumables. Even a token 1 ton one slot would make me happy (0.5t for the MC version Posted Image)

#47 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:15 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 15 July 2020 - 11:54 AM, said:

Same thing for the consumables. Even a token 1 ton one slot would make me happy (0.5t for the MC version Posted Image)

PTW

#48 HimseIf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Visekorporal
  • 270 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:08 AM

View PostAnomalocaris, on 12 June 2019 - 12:27 PM, said:

There are some critical differences though. The "target spotted" mechanic can also be used against ECM mechs that are spotted visibly but not on sensors.

I might be wrong but i never found it to work like that. Someone would spot an ECM mech for a second but i'd see it run away visually, but the spot on the map would drift on a slightly different course as if it was based on the last spotted velocity & vector.
I could be wrong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users