- - - - -

Polar Highlands Hell - How Do I Avoid Lrms?

26 replies to this topic

#1 Left Overs

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:52 PM

On other maps I hide behind a wall. But the trenches in PH don't offer cover. I have seen some (flippant) remarks on positioning better - that stops working when they send a light to spot. I have tried running, dodging, everything I can think of. Most times I can get away, but after I take a lot of damage. I avoid poking over the ridge. But, someone gets a lock on me anyway.

Currently I play a HMN w/out AMS.

I even learned how to LRM, a bit from videos, and tried that... I'm not good with LRMs. I see what others are supposed to do - so I know what they are doing to me. I just don't know how to avoid it.

This issue, more than anything else, made me choose to play a HBR with EMC. Though that didn't work until I bought the EMC skills too.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:25 PM

Learn the map, Highlands is full of sightline blocking trenches, little dips, mini hills and also some hard-cover buildings .

Also: ERPPC´s let you stay way out of LRM/ATM range and still do damage .

#3 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 25 July 2019 - 06:35 AM

As BOoN mentioned, go into the training grounds to learn the features of the map. Ideally I'd suggest something like an Assassin or Vulcan with a big engine (a 340 engine would give you 137.7kph) so you're reasonably tall (lots of smaller hills will provide cover for a piranha or locust but are useless for bigger mechs; using a quick, tall mech will help to narrow down appropriate coverfor your Huntsman) yet quick enough to traverse the map in a reasonable amount of time. You can use your Huntsman but at ~80kph it'll take a while to check out the large map.

Have a pen and some paper by your computer and write down grid coordinates of features that provide cover and 'no go' zones where you'd be out in the open alone with no cover should you try to cross the area during a match. Try to get a general idea of where the trenches go and how to get from one point of the map to another without crossing open terrain.

#4 Left Overs

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 08:45 AM

I will work some more in the testing grounds. I must not be using the best places to avoid LRMs.

Thanks,

#5 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:23 AM

De nada, bud, that´s what we salty vets are for, eh ^^

Edited by B0oN, 25 July 2019 - 12:14 PM.

#6 Wild_Alaskan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 159 posts
  • LocationJuneau, Alaska

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:46 AM

If you don't have it already, I'd strongly suggest putting some skill points into Radar Deprivation. That way when you move out of LOS, those LRM boats will instantly lose their lock on you.

#7 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:13 PM

Lots of cover in polar... try faster moving battlemech, it's nod a good place to be in an 32kph Annihilator

#8 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:57 PM

^Dude says he plays a huntsman, which is a faster moving battlemech. Try reading the thread, clown.

Polar is cancer. If you're getting mega auto-aimed try to find a teammate with ECM. Investing in Radar Deprivation can help too.

#9 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 25 July 2019 - 07:05 PM

One thing I forgot to mention is that during the map and mode voting process, if Polar Highlands comes up for a vote just vote for the map you want to play then wait until it looks like you know what map will win. If Polar's not going to win then vote for the game mode you want to play; if Polar Highlands looks like it might win vote ideally for Domination with a second best choice of Conquest.

For Domination all you have to learn is the map area around Grid Coordinates H8,H9,I8,I9. It usually turns into a nascar around that area and if the last mech is a light they'll still have to stay near the circle. For Conquest 70% of the time it ends up being a fight near Theta (J11). You might get the last mech on one team drawing out the match, but win or lose the conquest nodes will be ticking so it'll eventually end unlike skirmish with the last mech being a fast light that wants to run around with his single PPC or ERLL taking pot shots for 7 minutes until he finally takes enough damage to get legged.

#10 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 26 July 2019 - 02:51 AM

As previously mentioned AMS 0.5-1.0t ammo / Radar Deprivation 3 nodes / Stick with team mates / harass the light / N - Night Vision to help spot - shoot down UAVs.

#11 Kodan Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 375 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:01 AM

Yup, go hug an ECM mech. Or find the Kit Fox with triple AMS and be his buddy. Radar Derp is also a good thing. Be in motion. If they have lights spotting or one pops a UAV you should be calling that out to get handled. UAV can be hit by anyone, the light should be hunted by a couple lights or mediums even just to scare it off. Don't go squirrel chasing though and have 2 off way away.

Highlands is a map that loves LRMs, pop tarting, and other slow dynamics. Cresting a hill is a great way to face their firing line and be killed quickly. Patience is a virtue. I've won on that map simply by hammering on being patient until the other side got annoyed and tried to push not very well and got focused down.

#12 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 03 August 2019 - 03:54 PM

What PH offers isn’t cover, but terrain masking. Drop into trenches or slide behind hills to break line-of-sight. In the skill tree, get as much radar deprivation as you can, so that when enemies lose line of sight they drop locks. Carry ECM if you can, to deter long range LRMs.

#13 KelseyJr

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 05:25 AM

Look for the idiot like me who built a triple ams nova as their first mech while still doing the cadet matches this weekend. ;)

All joking aside, I noticed as soon as I dropped points into my radar dep skills (60% in my case as it doesn't commit too many points) things improved hugely survival wise.

#14 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 25 August 2019 - 02:26 PM

Holy crap! Constructive advice about Polar Highlands!

About the only thing I can add is that you want to stay in motion, if you can get the team to follow you. Polar Highlands is the second map PGI made that really works differently than other maps; that forces you to approach it differently if you want to win. That's because Polar (and to a lesser extent Viridian Bog) is based on maneuver. Everyplace you want to go on that map has a concealed route to get there - but nearly all the cover consists of these long, rolling snow dunes. The terrain fools you into thinking that it's flat.

But there aren't any good strong points for the kind of peek-and-hide corner tactics a lot of players use; if you simply stop and try to fight in place when you meet the enemy, you'll lose - once one side gets around the edge of that long rolling dune, the other side is exposed in a giant target range with a long way to go for the next cover. So Polar Highlands is designed to be a dance: you have to fight on the move while jockeying for position if you want the best results - or to close with the LRM boaters who keep voting for the map because they don't have to work to use their missiles. =)

#15 Cpt Firefly

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:42 PM

I also would like to strongly suggest making room for an AMS on every mech that can have it. Sure one AMS doesn´t do much but if most mechs have one and stick close to eachother then there's maybe eight AMS's firing. And that makes a huge difference.

PS also to note is that Range and Magazine Capacity skill nodes apply to AMS as well.

Edited by Cpt Firefly, 26 August 2019 - 11:44 PM.

#16 Gilgamecc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 165 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:05 AM

The good news is that your Huntsman can absolutely crush *** and with a number of strong builds. For now I would recommend either a twin ERPPC build with AMS and practice poptarting, or go with a triple ATM9 and TAG build and focus on eliminating enemy lights before joining the larger fray.

I like taking 44 SRM tubes myself, but it requires Pakhet omnipods and will definitely not improve your experience on Polar Hellworld. The HMN can also do a perfectly serviceable quad LRM15 build that plays basically like a variation on the ATM skirmisher archetype. It doesn't have the tonnage for Supernova-style massive LRM turret play, but it can be a much more team-friendly LRM platform than most of the missile boats you'll see. Recently I built an SRM18/UAC10/2xAMS HMN, but it might need Pakhet pods too.

#17 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 27 August 2019 - 03:27 PM

ERPPCs on Polar are fun.

#18 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:55 AM

Kill the enemy light that is spotting, using your own missiles.

Get AMS

Stick with ECM buddies.

Stay in the trenches as much as possible.

#19 Larry Francis

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 03:37 PM

shoot down the UAV your standing under, that helps a lot

#20 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:56 AM

Polar has no strong cover, but the trenches can help. Battlefield awareness is even more vital on this map. It's pretty easy to be trading and suddenly you realize half your team has died from LRMs or flanking and you're surrounded. Or everyone is Nascaring and getting picked off one by one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users