#21 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:34 AM

View PostShiverMeRivets, on 26 July 2019 - 02:39 AM, said:

Who give a f@@@ about the platform? Steam is just the same steaming pile of **** like Epic, except they are bigger in the market
That statement is objectively false. Steam isn't missing basic and elementary security measures (e-mail verification, you heard of it?)

Edited by Horseman, 26 July 2019 - 03:36 AM.

#22 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:45 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 26 July 2019 - 03:33 AM, said:

FWIW; the epic app being **** is a valid complaint.

Steam was SUPER **** when it came out, and they shut down WON to force people onto it for centralized multiplayer.

But that was like 15 years ago, epic should have learned some **** from that.

I think Steam as a platform got progressively worse over time. I'd rather much take old Steam than the forced update in which I now have to force -nosteamui as a launch parameter just so that it runs at optimal performance. I can't defend Value nor Epic for a multitude of reasons. **** Gabe Newell and Value selling out over time, and screw Epic for their garbage policies. I wish a third party would emerge from this all time low gaming industry cesspool that could be trustworthy for once.

#23 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:50 AM

Dude, old steam was pretty controversial when it came out for its forced updates.

#24 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:51 AM

Oh Epic is bad and promote exclusivity. Sure Activision/ Blizzard and EA's Origin are exclusive focused aswell but they dont jaw up developers in such a rampant fashion as Epic because they also have their own home made brands to care about.
Wonder what they think about Epics fanatical drive, maybe " we should have done that " hardly inspiring..

I remember when Epic with Cliffy B made Gears of War and dont forget Unreal itself. Yet another giant fallen to disgrace..

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Epic_Games

View PostPrototelis, on 26 July 2019 - 03:50 AM, said:

Dude, old steam was pretty controversial when it came out for its forced updates.

Oh sure. I was very anit-Steam at first myself. I was mostly very hard-copy retail buyer. But then I saw how Steam turned to the better and also saving tons of older games and made them compatible with newer systems alongside GOG etc. I could see the benefits and that it had strong regulations on customer rights and other benefits.

Its a different story now with Epic and wont bend over for them. I just dont TRUST them at start. With steam I was surprised and sceptical and waited awhile to install it, did research. Done so with Epic, the roadmap for features dosent impress me. Wouldnt need such if it was all planned form the start. Epic is toxic and an abomination.

Edited by Tordin, 26 July 2019 - 03:56 AM.

#25 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:57 AM

View PostJohnnyWayne, on 26 July 2019 - 03:09 AM, said:

I AM an IT professional. And I can see when I am blackmailed into doing something aswell. That was my point. A point you ignored in your rant.

Then stand by your principles and wait a year for the exclusivity to wear off.
Principles come with a price.

#26 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 26 July 2019 - 04:01 AM

Because the deluded megalomaniacs think they are doing the gaming industry a service by bribing developers and publishers money for exclusivity deals, thinking that it's competing with Steam when really it's not.

What should have happened is they developed their platform and let people flock to them, that's real competition.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 26 July 2019 - 04:04 AM.

#27 JohnnyWayne

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 04:05 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 26 July 2019 - 03:25 AM, said:

I didn't rant?

What does being an IT professional have to do with this as a business decision? I thought you brought that up because you had a take on the ol' epic games is spyware or an analysis of its security measures.

Ok, ok. My complaint with epic store is that I am forced to use it by methods that I consider unfair. Like being blackmailed into installing it. My first thought after I heared about it was "cool i gonna instal that so that ******* steam gets some competition". And then they started something that is called vendor lock in if you are in a business scenario: Exclusitivity.

As soon as I am forced into something against my will I am done with it. I try to avoid steam where I can (like using the gog launcher) - but at least steam is not forcefully exclusive. I would like to have choice instead of exchanging one lock in for another.

All that ranting about how bad the epic store is, is a rather smaller and less relevant complaint to me.

View PostShiverMeRivets, on 26 July 2019 - 03:57 AM, said:

Then stand by your principles and wait a year for the exclusivity to wear off.
Principles come with a price.

No. I was betrayed. I will not return to that product, even though, as I admitted, I'm quite torn right now between no epic store and MW5.... A refund is meaningless as epic games will just compensate for that... Also a reason I feel that way.

Edited by JohnnyWayne, 26 July 2019 - 04:10 AM.

#28 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 292 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 26 July 2019 - 04:06 AM

I’m not even a “real” gamer - MWO being the only thing I play - and even I know what a shitshow this Epic thing is. Best outcome at this point is for PGI to fold so that the mechwarrior license can go to a more responsible developer.

#29 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 04:07 AM

View PostTordin, on 26 July 2019 - 03:51 AM, said:

Epic because they also have their own home made brands to care about.

And epic doesn't? Unreal engine has been pretty ubiquitous, as are many of its games.

#30 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 26 July 2019 - 04:09 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 26 July 2019 - 03:33 AM, said:

FWIW; the epic app being **** is a valid complaint.

Steam was SUPER **** when it came out, and they shut down WON to force people onto it for centralized multiplayer.

But that was like 15 years ago, epic should have learned some **** from that.

You'd hope so but I guess not.
That's what I was alluding to though, I remember Steam being pretty bad to begin.... in fact, I don't think I've had a good starting experience with any of them from stuffing about with codes and verifications to just trying to get the games started.
Gets there eventually.

Personally I would prefer to download and install directly from PGI via the MWO portal and not rely on any 3rd party launchers.

#31 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 04:11 AM

I don't remember what steam made me do to get it to work, but as I recall it was "put in CD key, get account"

It also let me put in CD keys for Opposing Force and Blue shift for extra copies of the games... and I had like 10 keys total because I was buying them at flea markets/secondhand because at one point they made it so you couldn't lan on vanilla HL with only one copy/key and it was ******* up my lan parties.

So I basically had like 12 copies of Halflife when steam came out.

#32 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 04:12 AM

I dont have problem with epic games store . I paid for MW5 i am gonna play it . So i have to download another portal ? Pff big whoop .

Wow you guys love your steam . To me its just the program i click on to play MWO .

Personally its annoying to cater to these middle man programs on the dumb PC . Console gaming is so much more relaxing .

I just wanna click on a power button and play a game . Console games do that . Its amazing .

Now PC . Hmmmm . I wanna play MWO . ....

First click multiple power buttons . Click on start , then click ESC
Then wait , then enter pass word , Now click steam .wait Now Click MWO . Then play MWO ....

Edited by Pain G0D, 26 July 2019 - 04:25 AM.

#33 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 July 2019 - 04:17 AM

View PostPain G0D, on 26 July 2019 - 04:12 AM, said:

I dont have problem with epic games store . I paid for MW5 i am gonna play it . So i have to download another portal ? Pff big whoop .

Wow you guys love your steam . To me its just the program i click on to play MWO .

Enjoy the benefits of Epic store, such as:
  • Losing your account because you made a typo in your e-mail address during registration
  • Getting banned from the platform for making multiple purchases during a sale
  • Getting your personal data leaked by their inept support agents to parties unknown

#34 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 04:22 AM

It's not so much that there's anything wrong with the epic games store (there is) as it is that they're actively discouraging competition (because they have an inferior product).

Digital distribution platforms only function as a service when either A: there is only one or B: ALL game keys are valid for all platforms.

If games are locked to a particular platform, it makes the whole idea of a digital distribution platform useless, because you lose all the benefits they provided in the first place. You'd be better off just relying on discs at that point.

#35 Hollow Earth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 300 posts
  • LocationIntergalactic House of Pancakes

Posted 26 July 2019 - 04:25 AM

i no like tencent or the PRC.
simple as.

#36 Sergeant Destroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 04:57 AM

Because Pc-Master race ™ in 2019 cant install an additional program togethr with all the other programs on their pc.
Also some very important youtoube personalities, that make a living by stirring up ****, stirred up some **** and the ususal bunch of people that are unable to form own opinions have to parrot them, as in "anti consumer" etc....
And so it begins....
Btw, i wouldnt be the least bit suprised if Lord Gaben himself was pulling the strings behind the whole wannabe controversy.

#37 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 05:17 AM

View PostPain G0D, on 26 July 2019 - 04:12 AM, said:

Personally its annoying to cater to these middle man programs on the dumb PC . Console gaming is so much more relaxing .

I just wanna click on a power button and play a game . Console games do that . Its amazing .

Now PC . Hmmmm . I wanna play MWO . ....

First click multiple power buttons . Click on start , then click ESC
Then wait , then enter pass word , Now click steam .wait Now Click MWO . Then play MWO ....

Epic boomer brain detected

#38 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 05:24 AM

I know right? You don't even have to launch MWO from steam to play.

#39 Alexandra Hekmatyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 26 July 2019 - 05:49 AM

View PostHorseman, on 26 July 2019 - 01:41 AM, said:

They expect basic competence of a multi-BILLION-dollar company's commercial launch of a new platform, yes. There's a lot of features that could be forgiven, but Epic dropped the ball on ELEMENTARY security and that's not forgiven easily.

Had to fix something there.
-
I do have EPIC but never bought anything on it. for that to happen I at least expect a cart, filters for the store and a search function.
For now I just take their freebies instead.

#40 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:00 AM

View PostSergeant Destroy, on 26 July 2019 - 04:57 AM, said:

Because Pc-Master race ™ in 2019 cant install an additional program togethr with all the other programs on their pc.
Wrong. The Epic hate train has very little to do with EGS being an additional app and everything with Epic launching the platform in a state where it was not ready for consumption, failing at very basic security measures, literally punishing customers for spending money, leaking customer data (and I'm not referring to the Tencent Conspiracy) and aggressively collecting data regarding your Steam account without going through the proper means.
Because yes, those are all things Epic can be held responsible for.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users