109 replies to this topic

#81 Nicholas Hyde

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 05:24 AM

View PostKelseyJr, on 12 August 2019 - 02:59 AM, said:

I played my second battle on Saturday and had a player with ace of spades who when I checked had over 4k posts here so its highly likely just by experience gain they were tier 1.

Pray tell, what Tier are you at, KelseyJr, after 45 matches with an AMS of 320?

#82 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:48 AM

View PostNicholas Hyde, on 12 August 2019 - 05:24 AM, said:

i can tell you, it doesnt meed more than 4 battles to get to tier 3 if you are good. go figure.

#83 Ruediger Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 512 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:11 AM

The TIER system in MWO is a joke. Fact!

#84 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:50 AM

View PostDark Star Dragon, on 12 August 2019 - 01:16 AM, said:

Come guys let's play as a team or did you never play on a team. OH right never played outside or in sports in school. To bad you missed a lot of fun and the ability to give and take instructions for the playing part not warming your backside on the bench.

All too often my school sports ended up with myself being ignored as everyone else played the game. Unless something went wrong then it was my fault because they wouldn't do anything with me.

Or, as I can recall in volleyball games, we'd have one show off who, instead of staying in their designated spot to "defend" like what players were suppose to do, he decided to play the game as a one man team. Eventually, the team got tired of it and I can recall myself watching the ball land near me and I didn't even move. When said show off complained, I just went "Oh, I thought you had it, considering you've been playing by yourself this whole time before hand". Don't know if it got the point across that some of us actually wanted to play... as a team... (AKA: This would relate well to tales of the solo chargers in this game, who then blame the team for not following them into death.)

View PostAlienized, on 12 August 2019 - 06:48 AM, said:

i can tell you, it doesnt meed more than 4 battles to get to tier 3 if you are good. go figure.

Q: Are you making this claim before or after the PSR boost new accounts get?

A new account can go up a tier each match if they get good matches (maybe even more). An older account would need more matches to see progress after that "new account boost" wears off. Otherwise, I've never heard of accounts jumping around their tiers after a couple of matches, and often hear more complaints of people's tier bar "seeming not to move, despite better matches and performance".

#85 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:08 AM

View PostTesunie, on 12 August 2019 - 08:50 AM, said:

Q: Are you making this claim before or after the PSR boost new accounts get?

A new account can go up a tier each match if they get good matches (maybe even more). An older account would need more matches to see progress after that "new account boost" wears off. Otherwise, I've never heard of accounts jumping around their tiers after a couple of matches, and often hear more complaints of people's tier bar "seeming not to move, despite better matches and performance".

i had a gimmick troll account once.... Ayatolla of Rock and rolla and played the trial mechs Orion 2C (full brawl) and highlander 2C (2 uac10 2 lpl) before getting a kodiak-3 doing 1704 dmg. (screenshots are from 18th and 22nd october 2016).
the battle with the orion actually got me to T4 instantly, was a 744 Matchscore, 6 kill 5 assist 1134 dmg battle.

(can post the screenshots if you dont believe it but its T4 and T5.... and i am a quite decent player after all)

Edited by Alienized, 12 August 2019 - 09:09 AM.

#86 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:42 AM

View PostAlienized, on 12 August 2019 - 09:08 AM, said:

i had a gimmick troll account once.... Ayatolla of Rock and rolla and played the trial mechs Orion 2C (full brawl) and highlander 2C (2 uac10 2 lpl) before getting a kodiak-3 doing 1704 dmg. (screenshots are from 18th and 22nd october 2016).
the battle with the orion actually got me to T4 instantly, was a 744 Matchscore, 6 kill 5 assist 1134 dmg battle.

(can post the screenshots if you dont believe it but its T4 and T5.... and i am a quite decent player after all)

New accounts gain PSR ranking faster than established accounts. I've also hoped into a brand new account, with a stock Raven (two ERLL) and did so well I also propelled the account to T4 within it's first match. However, older accounts don't get that PSR boost new ones do (and that's so that older/better players don't terrorize the T5 players), so older accounts take a lot longer of good performance matches to go up in PSR rank.

That's all you've proven here, as far as my understanding of your post goes. It's working as it's suppose to for new accounts. If it's keeping players like yourself and myself out of T5 even when we create new accounts, than that is exactly what it's suppose to be doing.

#87 Ruediger Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 512 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:56 AM

View PostTesunie, on 12 August 2019 - 09:42 AM, said:

If it's keeping players like yourself and myself out of T5 even when we create new accounts, than that is exactly what it's suppose to be doing.

Posted Image

#88 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:25 AM

View PostTesunie, on 12 August 2019 - 09:42 AM, said:

New accounts gain PSR ranking faster than established accounts. I've also hoped into a brand new account, with a stock Raven (two ERLL) and did so well I also propelled the account to T4 within it's first match. However, older accounts don't get that PSR boost new ones do (and that's so that older/better players don't terrorize the T5 players), so older accounts take a lot longer of good performance matches to go up in PSR rank.

That's all you've proven here, as far as my understanding of your post goes. It's working as it's suppose to for new accounts. If it's keeping players like yourself and myself out of T5 even when we create new accounts, than that is exactly what it's suppose to be doing.

that wasnt the reason for creating said account tho :D just wanted to play the kodiak-3 on its overpowered status as it was back then without infesting this account with it.
i hate meta and overpowerd yet never balanced mechs.

so yea, it does keep farmers outta there but also pushes new players farther than it "should".
especially T3 that could been matched with T1 back then had a suffering.
so, if you can do 300 average matchscore at t3 after like, 50 battles, you pretty much wont do much at all in the top tiers as you reached t3 too fast, maybe even t2 depending.

#89 KelseyJr

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:41 AM

View PostNicholas Hyde, on 12 August 2019 - 05:24 AM, said:

About two thirds of the way through Fourth, though as I'm piloting a triple AMS Nova that did confuse me a bit. ;)

#90 KelseyJr

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:48 AM

View PostAlienized, on 12 August 2019 - 06:48 AM, said:

Apparently I'm not good then but I could have told you that myself. ;)

#91 KelseyJr

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:54 AM

View PostHorseman, on 12 August 2019 - 04:26 AM, said:

You can just check their overall position in the player base using https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/

Thanks, not sure how to tell rank from there but this player was in my last match.

https://leaderboard....arch?u=skatenok

#92 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:55 AM

View PostKelseyJr, on 12 August 2019 - 10:48 AM, said:

Apparently I'm not good then but I could have told you that myself. Posted Image

there is no shame not to be good. it tall takes a while if new, i mean, im playing since... uh...ages.
my post also wasnt really about you or anyone specific :D

you just gotta learn and keep eyes open at the map all time.
if you arent just playing this game from a shooter point of view but more from a strategical you can get alot more out of mechs after all.

#93 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:04 AM

View PostAlienized, on 12 August 2019 - 10:25 AM, said:

that wasnt the reason for creating said account tho Posted Image just wanted to play the kodiak-3 on its overpowered status as it was back then without infesting this account with it.

I was by no means insinuating not implying that at all. I'm just saying that the PSR boost to new accounts was there to "quickly find and place a new account into the proper tier", which not only will place naturally more skilled players into higher tiers faster, but also place alt accounts up faster to keep higher skilled players from "intentionally" farming less skilled opponents. (Was a major concern and accusation in the past. Pros stomping/farming pugs/newbies.)

#94 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,695 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:06 AM

View PostKelseyJr, on 12 August 2019 - 10:54 AM, said:

Thanks, not sure how to tell rank from there but this player was in my last match.
https://leaderboard....arch?u=skatenok

Eyeballing it... not quite the average score of my alt (which recently made it to T1) but more than 3x as many matches... almost certainly T1, at the very worst T2.

#95 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:09 AM

View PostTesunie, on 12 August 2019 - 11:04 AM, said:

I was by no means insinuating not implying that at all. I'm just saying that the PSR boost to new accounts was there to "quickly find and place a new account into the proper tier", which not only will place naturally more skilled players into higher tiers faster, but also place alt accounts up faster to keep higher skilled players from "intentionally" farming less skilled opponents. (Was a major concern and accusation in the past. Pros stomping/farming pugs/newbies.)

i know i know =) thats my concern too but thats why PSR should been different from the get go imho.

#96 Nicholas Hyde

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:28 PM

sorry, i'm not buying that t4 story, Kelsey, not with average matchscore over 45 games like that. No way.

#97 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:32 PM

View PostHorseman, on 12 August 2019 - 11:06 AM, said:

Eyeballing it... not quite the average score of my alt (which recently made it to T1) but more than 3x as many matches... almost certainly T1, at the very worst T2.

would say its easier to reach better matchscores and standings with alts than with your main as its harder to progress upwards the more battles you already played.

the amount of trial and error or playing utter bad mechs does hurt alot. thats why jarl's list isnt always a good indication.
it doesnt include the mechs tier (could use solaris tiers for example) but that would be too much work by now.

#98 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:23 PM

View PostAlienized, on 12 August 2019 - 12:32 PM, said:

the amount of trial and error or playing utter bad mechs does hurt alot. thats why jarl's list isnt always a good indication.

I've never thought that the Jarl's list (or any leaderboard like system) is a good indication of "player skill". I mean, you can look at mine. I can be in the 70-80%if I want to, as those seasonal months I purposefully "tried to do well" bringing only my best mechs (often mediums). Those months where my standing really slipped I was most likely experimenting on new builds/mechs.

I've been in discussions on these forums (normally about LRMs is when it happens) where people point out my "low seasonal stats". They presume I've used nothing but LRMs and always "bring my best". I always find it's a good false presumption to assume one always play the same way with the same mechs.

The Jarl's list is fun to look at and "see how far you can go" when you want to push yourself, but overall it's not always an indication of a player's definitive skill.

#99 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:31 PM

View PostTesunie, on 12 August 2019 - 01:23 PM, said:

I've never thought that the Jarl's list (or any leaderboard like system) is a good indication of "player skill". I mean, you can look at mine. I can be in the 70-80%if I want to, as those seasonal months I purposefully "tried to do well" bringing only my best mechs (often mediums). Those months where my standing really slipped I was most likely experimenting on new builds/mechs.

I've been in discussions on these forums (normally about LRMs is when it happens) where people point out my "low seasonal stats". They presume I've used nothing but LRMs and always "bring my best". I always find it's a good false presumption to assume one always play the same way with the same mechs.

The Jarl's list is fun to look at and "see how far you can go" when you want to push yourself, but overall it's not always an indication of a player's definitive skill.

as long as you dont consider their mechs played no. or if its in group or not.
hell, i gladly admit that my aim is quite horrible most of the time^^

Edited by Alienized, 12 August 2019 - 01:33 PM.

#100 KelseyJr

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:47 AM

View PostNicholas Hyde, on 12 August 2019 - 12:28 PM, said:

sorry, i'm not buying that t4 story, Kelsey, not with average matchscore over 45 games like that. No way.

I'll screen shot it from home and feel free to apologise then... not that you will because you're clearly not the welcoming type to new players.

If you used your reading comprehension you'd notice the repeated triple AMS Nova reference I've made in this thread. Even my rudimentary reading of the forums to understand the basics of the game taught me what that does to your score.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users