Another Reason Not To Hold Locks

141 replies to this topic

#1 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 09:29 AM

Last night I was having a fun match on Tourmaline.

I had 3 kills but we were down 8-9, a close and tense game. I'd just legged a Piranha and was about to finish him off.... BOOM. TK'd by a mfing "friendly" LRMer.

"Uh, sorry."

Thanks all you IDF puds out there mindlessly dumping ordnance into targets you can't see. Thanks for trying to grab easy kills after I've done all the work and then killing me in the process. And yes, we lost, because after I went down we were left with a half-dead Commando and Mr. Pristine Armor LRMer, who, of course, got hosed down in seconds.

Lesson: Don't hold lock on an enemy you're trying to kill lest a "friendly" dump 80 LRMs into your back. You die and you learn.

#2 Gristle Missile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 09:41 AM

Its annoying when it happens to you for sure, thankfully its not that common and having the fire support is good 99% of the time.

but Its so much fun to force team damage/kill from LRMs on the enemy side

Take my Flea/Locust/small light and wedge myself inside a Dire wolf or Annihilator
They might have me targeted but they can't see me...chances are the LRMer doesn't know he is killing his buddy
Its so satisfying

Its the guys who get missile locked on your team then run behind you, dragging them into you that I hate.

Edited by Gristle Missile, 02 August 2019 - 06:57 PM.

#3 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 09:45 AM

Lrms are big brain weapons

#4 Jackofallpots

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 219 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 09:54 AM

#5 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:07 AM

It happens sometimes. I remember rear humping an assault in a Commando, seeing LRMs coming, hiding behind the assault...

And then a bunch of the missiles slipped through the gaps in the enemy's geometry and killed me.

Oh well.

#6 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:14 AM

Damn, ANOTHER reason not to hold locks ?

Don't worry : Holding a lock long enough has now become such a skill that any LRMer is better off holding his own lock, then expecting anyone else to manage to hold one long enough for him.

In fact it's probably because he was using a direct LOS low arc that he hit you instead of his target : Maybe this time he learned what I already did. That he should have pulled back to achieve an indirect LOS high arc before firing at a target brawling a teamate.

And yes, that does somehow translate into "the less you lock, the more you get hit by a friendly direct LOS low arc LRM" : That's PGI level LRM boost mechanic working as intended.

Feel free to help LRMers petition for the removal of that direct LOS low LRM arc curse.

#7 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:28 AM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 02 August 2019 - 11:14 AM, said:

Don't worry : Holding a lock long enough has now become such a skill that any LRMer is better off holding his own lock, then expecting anyone else to manage to hold one long enough for him.

In fact it's probably because he was using a direct LOS low arc that he hit you instead of his target : Maybe this time he learned what I already did. That he should have pulled back to achieve an indirect LOS high arc before firing at a target brawling a teamate.

And yes, that does somehow translate into "the less you lock, the more you get hit by a friendly direct LOS low arc LRM" : That's PGI level LRM boost mechanic working as intended.

Feel free to help LRMers petition for the removal of that direct LOS low LRM arc curse.

Negative.

This is more a clear sign that there are a lot of potato lurmers who are not paying attention to what they are shooting at or care if something is in front of them half of the time anyways.

A decent player with a functioning brain, shooting any weapon at an enemy would only press the fire button if the path was clear for him to do so.

Rest assured that the low arc mechanic is going nowhere. Lurmers now just simply have to adjust and pay attention to what they are firing at.

It's also not new, lrms even with the old arc had a tenancy to be used by people who didn't pay attention or care about the friendly mechs they were hitting. As someone who plays a lot of lights and medium mechs I have been teamkilled by lurmers more times than I can count.

#8 Alexandra Hekmatyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:57 AM

View PostBombast, on 02 August 2019 - 10:07 AM, said:

It happens sometimes. I remember rear humping an assault in a Commando, seeing LRMs coming, hiding behind the assault...

And then a bunch of the missiles slipped through the gaps in the enemy's geometry and killed me.

Oh well.

Something like that happened to me in FP a long time ago.
But I was in a catapult and I flanked the enemy and humped a night gyr enemy turns around and starts hosing the night gyr, Night gyr dies and I survived cause my team started attacking their backs.
Glorious it was.

#9 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 02 August 2019 - 12:09 PM

TBH I mostly get hosed by dakka boats who follow me around corners and don't know where their hardpoints are.

#10 Kodan Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 375 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 02 August 2019 - 12:22 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 02 August 2019 - 12:09 PM, said:

TBH I mostly get hosed by dakka boats who follow me around corners and don't know where their hardpoints are.

This. Lost my side torso plenty of times to people trying to stand behind and to the side just a bit, except their arm mounted weapon is lined up with my back side torso. Don't worry about it though, I didn't need that 1/2 of my mech!

#11 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 12:29 PM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 02 August 2019 - 11:14 AM, said:

V

No, this was the standard spud sitting a few hundred meters back, likely behind a big rock. I was knife-fighting the Piranha, popped his leg, twisted off his shot, and then was about to pop the other leg. Like most spuds, he prob just saw a legged Piranha targeted and let loose because he didn't see me dancing between him and the Pir. He didn't see me because he was an IDF spud just leeching locks from behind cover. If he had bothered to get his own locks he would have seen me. Kapish?

#12 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 12:31 PM

View PostGristle Missile, on 02 August 2019 - 09:41 AM, said:

Its annoying when it happens to you for sure, thankfully its not that common and having the fire support is good 99% of the time.

but Its so much fun to force team damage/kill from LRMs on the enemy side

Take my Flea/Locust/small light and wedge myself inside a Dire wolf or Annihilator
They might have me targeted but they can't see me...chances are the LRMer doesn't know he is killing his buddy
Its so satisfying

Um no having 'fire support' is not good 99% of the time. In quick play it doesn't matter though and can't really expect people to not play lurms if they enjoy them. It just sucks if you are unlucky to have match maker dump six of them on one side unless you get Polar.

#13 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 02 August 2019 - 12:40 PM

View PostKubernetes, on 02 August 2019 - 09:29 AM, said:

Last night I was having a fun match on Tourmaline.

I had 3 kills but we were down 8-9, a close and tense game. I'd just legged a Piranha and was about to finish him off.... BOOM. TK'd by a mfing "friendly" LRMer.

"Uh, sorry."

Thanks all you IDF puds out there mindlessly dumping ordnance into targets you can't see. Thanks for trying to grab easy kills after I've done all the work and then killing me in the process. And yes, we lost, because after I went down we were left with a half-dead Commando and Mr. Pristine Armor LRMer, who, of course, got hosed down in seconds.

Lesson: Don't hold lock on an enemy you're trying to kill lest a "friendly" dump 80 LRMs into your back. You die and you learn.

Was he in Direct LOS or INDIRECT? Because! If he was IN LOS: Well, he's a jerk.
IF HE WAS OUT OF LOS. Well, you're a face hugging jerk.
Which was it?
Capiche?

Edited by HammerMaster, 02 August 2019 - 12:42 PM.

#14 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,071 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 02 August 2019 - 01:10 PM

This thread assumes people still press the r key. tag out to 900m sure helps get los.

#15 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 01:11 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 02 August 2019 - 12:40 PM, said:

Was he in Direct LOS or INDIRECT? Because! If he was IN LOS: Well, he's a jerk.
IF HE WAS OUT OF LOS. Well, you're a face hugging jerk.
Which was it?
Capiche?

^This is why people hate LRMers.

Bro, I finished with 3 kills and 5kmdd, 800+ dmg. Face hugging jerk? I was knife-fighting an ankle-biter. Do you even understand what that's like? Of course not, because the only aspect of the game you ever see is "Put the circle near the box."

And here's you: "You in the 40-ton Medium who is doing the lion's share of heavy-lifting and carrying your team... You need to change up your style to accommodate the 90-ton LRM spud's losing ways."

FFS, how bad are LRMers? This bad: We would have won if that dude had run out of ammo or if he had disconnected. It's incredible when I think about it.

So thanks, buddy, next time I feel like I'm winning too much or contributing too much I'll defer to your expertise.

#16 MrXanthios

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 02:04 PM

I feel you Kubernetes. That's 95% of the population. The same people that says "ye but damage doesn't count, teamplay is important". Except they neither do damage nor teamplay. And my high damage being carefully aimed at torsos or legs always counts, unlike theirs.

#17 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 02:08 PM

View PostMrXanthios, on 02 August 2019 - 02:04 PM, said:

I feel you Kubernetes. That's 95% of the population. The same people that says "ye but damage doesn't count, teamplay is important". Except they neither do damage nor teamplay. And my high damage being carefully aimed at torsos or legs always counts, unlike theirs.

I would like more pro tips at the beginning of matches please. I know pretty much none of the taters are ever going to listen but they make me giggle.

#18 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 02 August 2019 - 02:14 PM

This thread and many others like it:

Posted Image

#19 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 02:22 PM

View PostMystere, on 02 August 2019 - 02:14 PM, said:

This thread and many others like it:

Posted Image

Oh gees, that you think lurmers are a minority group targeted by prejudice is disturbing.

#20 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 02 August 2019 - 02:23 PM

View PostFeral Clown, on 02 August 2019 - 02:22 PM, said:

Oh gees, that you think lurmers are a minority group targeted by prejudice is disturbing.

Who said anything about minorities? <smh>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users