On What Running Mw5 Or Even Mwo2 On Epic Would Be Like

53 replies to this topic

#1 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:12 AM

So as the brave, brave hero that I am I decided to risk using the Epic launcher to get a couple of games to try so I can then share the experience and help people set expectations.

I had done this prior with Subnautica but wanted to try it both with a multiplayer game and a new game released on an Epic exclusive to see if there's some additional level of DRM.

I got For Honor. It's online only and MP. It's through Ubisoft. Got the game on Epic but was literally able to install it via the Uplay Ubisoft launcher. I can launch and play it without any Epic software active in any way.

I got Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. It's single player and Epic exclusive. I downloaded it via Epic Games Launcher. I created a shortcut from the games install directory and launch and play it directly from the desktop. EGL doesn't launch, there are 0 Epic processes active on my PC.

So, to be absolutely clear, MW5 will for certain be playable without Epic active. As per every comment on the topic the coop is peer-to-peer and only uses Epic friends list to get what IP addy your friend has, someone will make a simple python script to do that probably before it's been out a week on beta.

Even a MWO2 would be playable directly without EGL active. You can literally add the game to your steam library like any other game you got and installed on say a CD even.

Not saying this impacts any other concerns people have, frustration over wanting a steam key, etc. However getting MW5 or even a hypothetical MWO2 through Epic is not significantly different from getting it directly from PGI, like most people play MWO today. Or GoG or any other launcher-less platform.

#2 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for testing it out Mischief. I never had any doubt the launcher works like any other (maybe fewer features what not). As far as refunds are concerned, I think very few people bought into the conspiracy theories. The main reasons are, 1, the principle of it, since people didn't like being told one thing when the truth was another, and 2, there will likely be another pre-order for Epic, so there is an economic disincentive to hold on to the pre-orders. You lose nothing refunding it, and get more goodies with a new pre-order, or if there is no new pre-order (which would be very very weird), lose nothing and buy it at the normal price on release.

I'm still hoping the missions, campaign, story, difficulty are decent. If so, I will get it on release. If the game performs closer to where BATTLETECH was on release, I might wait for proper mod and buy it then.

Edited by Nightbird, 16 August 2019 - 09:34 AM.

#3 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:36 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 16 August 2019 - 08:12 AM, said:

So as the brave, brave hero that I am I decided to risk using the Epic launcher to get a couple of games to try so I can then share the experience and help people set expectations.

I had done this prior with Subnautica...

Anyone else remember when Subnutica launched broken on Epic, and the only place people could go to try and get suggestions on how to fix it was the Steam forums?

Posted Image

#4 The pessimistic optimist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:46 AM

I am for MWO2 because Cry engine has bin one of the thing holding back Mechwarrior online. Upgrading to up to data supported Unreal engine would help Mechwarrior do a lot of the things they can't implement because of Cry engine

#5 Shanrak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:04 AM

I choose to do no business with epic because they put out an inferior product and force people to use it by purchasing exclusive rights instead of completing on features and price. Their highly touted lower publishing fees haven't meant **** for game prices as a consumer. Their store and client offers me nothing over existing products. In fact their history of security breaches makes not even want to make an account with them.

When steam came out they offered the convenience of installing and updating instead of using CDs and DVDs. Humble and gog offers their own uniqueness. Biz and Origin only has exclusives on their own games or games that use their servers. Epic can go DIAF.

Any games that are exclusive to epic immediately means I will only buy it when it is available on steam at a deep discount.

#6 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:20 AM

at the end of the day, its just a launcher.

being lied to, having the game postponed, it still pisses me off.

#7 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:28 AM

Wasn't even about conspiracy theories - EGL is a fat, memory expensive launcher by comparison.

It's also worth mentioning that both my wife and I with different games had issues with Epic and Ubisoft account linking. Ubisoft livechat was fast, competent, responsive and did everything they could within 15 minutes of when I had an issue.

Epic support, while polite, functioned on a 1 e-mail per day basis and literally took 7 days to unlink things.

I hate exclusives but now that I know I can literally get the game and then run it through steam if I want it's less bothersome. Bad, but I'm not forced to use the Epic launcher for anything but downloads.

#8 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:32 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 16 August 2019 - 09:28 AM, said:

Wasn't even about conspiracy theories - EGL is a fat, memory expensive launcher by comparison.

It's also worth mentioning that both my wife and I with different games had issues with Epic and Ubisoft account linking. Ubisoft livechat was fast, competent, responsive and did everything they could within 15 minutes of when I had an issue.

Epic support, while polite, functioned on a 1 e-mail per day basis and literally took 7 days to unlink things.

I hate exclusives but now that I know I can literally get the game and then run it through steam if I want it's less bothersome. Bad, but I'm not forced to use the Epic launcher for anything but downloads.

Not a fan of this Epic deal but if were not forced to use the launcher it makes it a little more acceptable. Just have to deal with it for the download and then I can forget it even there I am hoping.

#9 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:00 AM

i dont like the exclusive crap either. but its no different for having to have 5 different streaming services to keep up with the 6 shows i watch. annoying, troublesome, overly complex, and a product of the free enterprise system. if soviet russia was still soviet, their games downloader would take up a terabyte, grind your cpu to a halt, spy on you, and fail to load the long tetris piece.

#10 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:53 PM

As long as pgi is involved with it:crap. No uber great modern engine or billions of fornite cash can overcome shity game design by a company best known for shovel and minimal viable products.

#11 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 August 2019 - 05:16 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 16 August 2019 - 08:12 AM, said:

So, to be absolutely clear, MW5 will for certain be playable without Epic active.

Unless of course PGI deliberately puts a "verification system" . Posted Image

And I haven't even talked about patch delivery. Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 16 August 2019 - 05:18 PM.

#12 x Marder x

• PipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 95 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMaybe behind you

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:16 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 16 August 2019 - 09:20 AM, said:

at the end of the day, its just a launcher.

being lied to, having the game postponed, it still pisses me off.

Unfortunately that is wrong, its a account a subscription that they can use to attract more investors and say that you are a potential customer.

By using the epic launcher and making a epic account, even if you dont use it, you support it they use "you" for future investments.

PGI got not the money because of MW5, PGI sold "you"!!!!!!! without your permission to epic!
That is the most criminal act ever.

PGI dosnt care for you why should you care about PGI and its workers?

Edited by x Marder x, 16 August 2019 - 06:17 PM.

#13 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:01 PM

The Epic launcher is not a problem for me. I am a completionist and likely want to put MW5 into my belt in my collection games I have played. What I am starting to wonder if PGI may ever finish the game at all.

#14 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:07 AM

View Postx Marder x, on 16 August 2019 - 06:16 PM, said:

Unfortunately that is wrong, its a account a subscription that they can use to attract more investors and say that you are a potential customer.

By using the epic launcher and making a epic account, even if you dont use it, you support it they use "you" for future investments.

PGI got not the money because of MW5, PGI sold "you"!!!!!!! without your permission to epic!

PGI dosnt care for you why should you care about PGI and its workers?

and you think steam doesn't do the same. and google, and facebook, and amazon, not to mention most major religions and governments. they all share your data without your permission. the best you can do is give them as little information as possible.

this is just the way content delivery is done now, and its not limited to games either. i don't like it but it is what it is. you want to buy a game in 2019 you got to put up with these dirt bags.

i for one want hard media that i can install anonymously without informing the internets. but thats never going to happen.

Edited by LordNothing, 17 August 2019 - 12:15 AM.

#15 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:04 AM

View Postx Marder x, on 16 August 2019 - 06:16 PM, said:

Do you use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.? YOU are their product.

#16 Shanrak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 04:19 AM

Epic is nothing like those other companies you mentioned. Epic wasn't first to market and isn't innovating in any way to offer a competitive product. They're just using their money to try and grab market share in an consumer hostile way. At best Epic is the Google+ of social media.

#17 caseysrevenge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 127 posts
  • LocationMaastricht netherlands

Posted 17 August 2019 - 05:26 AM

One thing people forget is that MWO our MW5 our every other game our software is not yours.
You pay for the right to play it or to use it.
You are not allowed to change it or do anything to it the developers don't like you to do to it.
If they want to you use EPIC or any other company to sell there software its in there full right to do it.
And it's of course youre full right to complain about it ,but at the end it will not help you ,they will do as they see fit with there programm/game.
You all use software from MS , Apple ,Google did they ever asked for youre opinion ????
You will get a message update this update that and if you don't comply they will cancel there service to you, they will even tell you the date that they will not help you any more.
So stop ranting about things you accept from other software houses far bigger then PGI.
I for my part want to play games and from who it comes does not matter , and when it takes longer in development as promised fine by me ,i want a game with less bugs,and when it takes longer to do this so be it.

Edited by caseysrevenge, 17 August 2019 - 05:28 AM.

#18 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:19 AM

View Postcaseysrevenge, on 17 August 2019 - 05:26 AM, said:

So stop ranting about things you accept from other software houses far bigger then PGI.

I don't accept anything I complain about PGI doing from other companies. May I continue ranting in peace now please?

Edited by Bombast, 17 August 2019 - 08:26 AM.

#19 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:40 AM

View PostMystere, on 16 August 2019 - 05:16 PM, said:

Unless of course PGI deliberately puts a "verification system" . Posted Image

And I haven't even talked about patch delivery. Posted Image Posted Image

That was a concern as well, but apparently such a thing doesn't exist with Epic. Also even Rebel Galaxy does its own patching without Epic up.

#20 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:14 AM

View Postcaseysrevenge, on 17 August 2019 - 05:26 AM, said:

One thing people forget is that MWO our MW5 our every other game our software is not yours.
You pay for the right to play it or to use it.
You are not allowed to change it or do anything to it the developers don't like you to do to it.
If they want to you use EPIC or any other company to sell there software its in there full right to do it.
And it's of course youre full right to complain about it ,but at the end it will not help you ,they will do as they see fit with there programm/game.
You all use software from MS , Apple ,Google did they ever asked for youre opinion ????
You will get a message update this update that and if you don't comply they will cancel there service to you, they will even tell you the date that they will not help you any more.
I for my part want to play games and from who it comes does not matter , and when it takes longer in development as promised fine by me ,i want a game with less bugs,and when it takes longer to do this so be it.

If you pay for a software that says it supports MS and Apple (say you use MS), and before release, they say, sorry we're exclusive to Apple. Then you can switch to Apple, or refund. This is not that hard to understand.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users