53 replies to this topic

#21 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:49 AM

I appreciate the nuanced understanding of things.

Yes PGI should have been more forthcoming about Epic, etc, but realistically beyond that ppl have blown this way out of proportion. Which might be why PGI was reluctant to say anything but of course some other more greedy reason might be it.

#22 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 01:45 PM

It's really quite simple:

The Epic Games Store itself is garbage and is not being improved with any real pace. As-is, it has no inherent credibility to anybody as a platform. People buying games through EGS gives it credibility to developers, which is what Epic wants and what it needs to muscle in on the existing alternatives. Epic are paying developers to make EGS the only way to buy their games to inflate the traffic through their store. To me, this is artificial because it cuts the customer out of the process by which a product or service is judged good enough to live. EGS is effectively boot-strapping its shoddy service into relevance using the massive influx of cash from both the Tencent investment and Fortnite success to pay off developers in the hopes that gamers are so desperate for their fix that they will overlook said shoddy service if it lets them get it. The problem is that they are largely correct, because fundamentally people would rather not be inconvenienced.

I will not support developers who participate in this scheme. If you put your product on a crap service, I will not subject myself to that crap service just to get it. If you announce you are going to release multi-platform, then you tell me you are going to go exclusive, that you got a big wad of cash to do so, and that it's ultimately in my interests...you deserve nothing less than to go out of business.

#23 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:01 PM

thing is, gamers in the past were worried and did not buy things they didnt like.
now, people just buy whatever the hype tells em to buy (destiny, star citizen anyone)
they are brainless, media or hype driven people that rather take any negative thing that comes with them to fulfill their need/want.
ignorance is bliss, blindly believing everything, ignoring all warnings as long as they get their fix ASAP.
this is a overall dangerous behaviour.

i didnt use much of steam apart from searching servers for CS 1.6 back then, was late to all the steam hype (never cared, still dont) and barely used any launcher because i had concerns. (ps2/ps4 ftw)
now that most of the errors are out i do use them sometimes (not that you cant ignore them anymore at this time especially online games) but this whole industry is pissing me off with its overall behaviour.

warcarft 3 shown perfectly how you can and should put out a awesome solo player OFFLINE game combined with a online mode everybody enjoyed.
this is more a matter of principles than anything else.

#24 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:10 PM

View PostAlienized, on 17 August 2019 - 02:01 PM, said:

thing is, gamers in the past were worried and did not buy things they didnt like.
now, people just buy whatever the hype tells em to buy (destiny, star citizen anyone)
they are brainless, media or hype driven people that rather take any negative thing that comes with them to fulfill their need/want.
ignorance is bliss, blindly believing everything, ignoring all warnings as long as they get their fix ASAP.

This is nothing new, my dude. Remember this?

Posted Image

#25 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:15 PM

View PostY E O N N E, on 17 August 2019 - 02:10 PM, said:

Posted Image

no as CoD players are known to not be the smartest and tbh i never cared for CoD or the battlefield titles.
(and i am also not good at those pure reaction shooters Posted Image )
im more a strategy guy (civilization, C&C, Homeworld) than raw fast paced shooting.
hence i play better as a supporter than anything else, even in MWO.

so no that all got past me, miles wide :>

#26 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:20 PM

View PostAlienized, on 17 August 2019 - 02:15 PM, said:

no as CoD players are known to not be the smartest...

What if I told you that, as a consumer base, Battletech fans are actually worse than the CoD crowd when it comes to sticking to your guns and actually caring about how or why or who is working on the IP?

Don't go throwing rocks at the CoD crowd, because you're a MWO player. You're living in a world of carnival glass.

#27 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:22 PM

View PostBombast, on 17 August 2019 - 02:20 PM, said:

What if I told you that, as a consumer base, Battletech fans are actually worse than the CoD crowd when it comes to sticking to your guns and actually caring about how or why or who is working on the IP?

Don't go throwing rocks at the CoD crowd, because you're a MWO player. You're living in a world of carnival glass.

im sure about that mate, dont worry. i rage at MWO players alot myself but see, its a niche thing. lots of older players here while CoD isnt anything for those guys.
age, ya know?
they play this game based on the whole lore which is older than me for example. i cant expect older people to play like 20 year old gamers.

#28 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:22 PM

Yeah. Some people are so desperate to relive the nostalgia of what is an IP that is so mediocre that it literally scuffs its designs from other, better, more original IPs that they will not give any damn what principle they run over to get it. These are the same geniuses who bought every single 'Mech Pack after all the lies and unkept promises from Russ & Co.

#29 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:33 PM

View PostY E O N N E, on 17 August 2019 - 02:22 PM, said:

Yeah. Some people are so desperate to relive the nostalgia of what is an IP that is so mediocre that it literally scuffs its designs from other, better, more original IPs that they will not give any damn what principle they run over to get it. These are the same geniuses who bought every single 'Mech Pack after all the lies and unkept promises from Russ & Co.

if you think about it, you could do so much with this IP in general.
if you have IDEAS to use it. to combine it or generate special modes.
just look at EVE online. you totally COULD do something similar out of the battletech universe.

proper usage of Repair&Rearm combined with the importance of planets in FW also working towards solo/group q
and different costs for tech as a balance method in itself. (not in place for competitive stuff etc as a option but for solaris to give it the proper feeling and frankenmech allowance)

so much you COULD do. if only.....

(Edit: sorry for dreaming a little bit Posted Image )

Edited by Alienized, 17 August 2019 - 02:35 PM.

#30 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:11 PM

View PostAlienized, on 17 August 2019 - 02:01 PM, said:

i didnt use much of steam apart from searching servers for CS 1.6 back then, was late to all the steam hype (never cared, still dont) and barely used any launcher because i had concerns. (ps2/ps4 ftw)
now that most of the errors are out i do use them sometimes (not that you cant ignore them anymore at this time especially online games) but this whole industry is pissing me off with its overall behaviour.

warcarft 3 shown perfectly how you can and should put out a awesome solo player OFFLINE game combined with a online mode everybody enjoyed.
this is more a matter of principles than anything else.

i remember things like shareware and game demos. you knew exactly what you were getting before dropping one red cent. you know how many games i dropped cash on because the demo was awesome? i have a massive cd case full of them. nowadays you get a popaganda mill that would make josef goebels proud telling you what you want. you also got game developers that dont care that their works will be permanently mothballed the second they stop producing cash.

and that's why i only bought about half a dozen games in the last decade.

#31 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:52 PM

Oh gees...

From totally not a spy for Clan Davion to now totally not a spy for the Chinese Government.

#32 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 05:53 PM

View PostAlienized, on 17 August 2019 - 02:15 PM, said:

no as CoD players are known to not be the smartest and tbh i never cared for CoD or the battlefield titles.
(and i am also not good at those pure reaction shooters Posted Image )
im more a strategy guy (civilization, C&C, Homeworld) than raw fast paced shooting.
hence i play better as a supporter than anything else, even in MWO.

so no that all got past me, miles wide :>

I remember that I didn't buy MW2 because no dedicated server support but damn if people are weak willed fools I always found that picture hilarious

#33 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:01 PM

Blatant lies.

I read on here that just signing up for an Epic account would automatically install six different kinds of spyware on your mothers computer, send all your nudes to your grandma and somehow get your goldfish pregnant.

#34 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 01:42 AM

View Postcrazytimes, on 17 August 2019 - 08:01 PM, said:

Blatant lies.

I read on here that just signing up for an Epic account would automatically install six different kinds of spyware on your mothers computer, send all your nudes to your grandma and somehow get your goldfish pregnant.

we live in a post reality world now. enjoy your confirmation bias.

#35 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:29 PM

Under Epic's monetary tutelage, I get a nasty feeling we're going to see a good share of microtransactions in MW5, and people will not be happy about it.

#36 Sebaztien Hawke

• PipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 54 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand +12 GMT

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:09 PM

Does the Epic client force the install of Fortnite?

#37 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:16 PM

View PostSebaztien Hawke, on 20 August 2019 - 06:09 PM, said:

No.

#38 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:09 AM

View PostSebaztien Hawke, on 20 August 2019 - 06:09 PM, said:

No, but while you're there... *Sound of Epic's plot Intensify*

Edited by Bombast, 21 August 2019 - 06:10 AM.

#39 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:36 AM

View PostY E O N N E, on 17 August 2019 - 02:10 PM, said:

Posted Image

Yup remember that it was so funny the day it launched. I didn't buy MW2 but all weak willed fools that did made me LOLs

#40 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:18 PM

Is this even about Epic's functionality for anyone? For me, it's about the fact that Russ lied through his teeth to the playerbase in order to take their money.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users