Is It Time For Bots Yet?

126 replies to this topic

#41 JRcam4643

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:27 PM

Bots would be a good thing but if they haven't added them already I doubt they will.

#42 BROARL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 301 posts
  • Locationcommunity warfare

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:32 PM

there are bots in the training grounds.
ignore all the training stuff and go for a walk...

*pretty sure there are some bots in quickplay too ;)

#43 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:16 AM

we not can have back IK for MWO ,and now AI? ...im hope oof the future of MW5, and thats give the Crew the Experience and Basics for a MWO2

#44 Magnus Santini

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:45 AM

In the event of a bot attack, believe nothing and keep your laser handy!

#45 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:07 AM

honestly if they added a botmatch mode, I might come back and play more.

#46 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:47 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 10 September 2019 - 11:34 PM, said:

The point of the post is that PGI is supposed to be much more proficient at coding A.I now that MW5 is near release?

Ahahaha.

#47 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:58 AM

View PostMW Waldorf Statler, on 12 September 2019 - 02:16 AM, said:

we not can have back IK for MWO ,

30th time I'm saying this; IK wouldn't work right in this environment because it relies on client side effects and this game is server authoritative.

#48 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:26 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 13 September 2019 - 10:58 AM, said:

30th time I'm saying this; IK wouldn't work right in this environment because it relies on client side effects and this game is server authoritative.

and why no other clientbased Games with Cryengine have Problems with IK ? IK forHand/Feet is a Basic Feature of the Cry 3, and IK was in the Game before comes the Dragon/Melee/Collision Problems ,and before the Basic Crew is in most parts gone.

Its give a manual for it

https://docs.cryengi...erse+Kinematics

http://chazcolvin.co...lvin_Thesis.pdf

and here Formulas

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 13 September 2019 - 10:34 PM.

#49 MrXanthios

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:16 AM

I thought they were already here

#50 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:51 AM

View PostMW Waldorf Statler, on 13 September 2019 - 10:26 PM, said:

and why no other clientbased Games with Cryengine have Problems with IK ? I

THIS GAME IS SERVER AUTHORITATIVE AND RELIES ON AS FEW CLIENT SIDE EFFECTS AS POSSIBLE AS A NECESSITY

Jesus

This games server implementation is VERY unique among shooters. You haven't ever listed or mentioned another game that is server authoritative like this one.

They removed knockdown and most IK (IK still in the game; IK is what happens when you die and ragdoll. Note that those effects are NOT synced between clients) because it is INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT to sync those events between the server and the client.

FFS. IK is a base feature of the engine, its still in the ******* game, most of it is disabled. I've explained this like 100 times.

Edited by Prototelis, 14 September 2019 - 09:56 AM.

#51 FireDog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 377 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 01:15 PM

I would rather see PGI add bots to some game mods as a randomizing factor. Designate several more spawn points on each side and drop a lance or two of lights or mediums in ares of the maps that do not get much play. Maybe even change their allegiance on a random basis as well to shake things up. Some of the MW4 mission maps had this capability.

#52 L057FUNC710N

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:55 PM

My take is no, I don't think we'd ever really want bots in this game.

For a game to be fun fighting against AI it really needs a lot of things to make it interesting. A story, and generally a path/progression done various ways through levels, upgrades/more powerful weapons and such.

To have AI on these kind of maps I think would get very old very quick. Since it is sort of an open sandbox I think PGI would have a very tough time having bots move in a path or pattern that made any sense and wasn't completely predictable.

And I mean they are allegedly supposed to be releasing MW5 sometime in the future, so why on Earth would they add that to this game, when the game they are working on covers that?

#53 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:41 PM

View PostKol Koontz, on 14 September 2019 - 07:55 PM, said:

My take is no, I don't think we'd ever really want bots in this game.

For a game to be fun fighting against AI it really needs a lot of things to make it interesting. A story, and generally a path/progression done various ways through levels, upgrades/more powerful weapons and such.

To have AI on these kind of maps I think would get very old very quick. Since it is sort of an open sandbox I think PGI would have a very tough time having bots move in a path or pattern that made any sense and wasn't completely predictable.

And I mean they are allegedly supposed to be releasing MW5 sometime in the future, so why on Earth would they add that to this game, when the game they are working on covers that?

Consider the following:
MWO's playerbase has tanked. I came back just to poke around in a few matches out of curiousity, and instantly remembered why, ontop of as a form of protest, I quit MWO.

Because the game's just not fun anymore. I'd have far more fun shooting at bots over dealing with teams that never seem to back one another up, and who are only out for themselves... atleast with bots, I know they're programmed to act the way they do.

Let's face it, this game's on it's deathbed, has been since work on MW5 started really. and when MW5 comes out, a lot of people will migrate to it, or just drop the franchise all together for those who are Anti-EGS. MWO might see a small spike in those people who come over from EGS curious about a multiplayer only version of Mechwarrior [those few fortnite kiddy's who don't mind the mech] and then bail when they see the absolute terrible state of the game.

The ride's over man... we just keep sitting in the seat hoping it'll keep moving.

#54 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:29 PM

bots and mods all it needs. That's why skyrim in my most played game in my steam library. Indgo is an example of one decent bot mod.

#55 L057FUNC710N

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:53 PM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 15 September 2019 - 01:41 PM, said:

Consider the following:
MWO's playerbase has tanked. I came back just to poke around in a few matches out of curiousity, and instantly remembered why, ontop of as a form of protest, I quit MWO.

Because the game's just not fun anymore. I'd have far more fun shooting at bots over dealing with teams that never seem to back one another up, and who are only out for themselves... atleast with bots, I know they're programmed to act the way they do.

Let's face it, this game's on it's deathbed, has been since work on MW5 started really. and when MW5 comes out, a lot of people will migrate to it, or just drop the franchise all together for those who are Anti-EGS. MWO might see a small spike in those people who come over from EGS curious about a multiplayer only version of Mechwarrior [those few fortnite kiddy's who don't mind the mech] and then bail when they see the absolute terrible state of the game.

The ride's over man... we just keep sitting in the seat hoping it'll keep moving.

Maybe you do. As an adult I can accept the long run MWO has had and appreciate and understand it is coming to an end.

It's the people asking to ruin the game with bots that are the ones hanging on.

#56 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:28 PM

We weren't already playing with bots?

#57 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:16 AM

Nah, bots shoot a lot better.

#58 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:37 AM

Atleast bots are more competent than most players.

#59 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:17 PM

My main game as of late has been World of Warplanes. That game has basically been in maintenance mode for years now, with a very sad player base (I bet SMALLER than MWO). So it serves as an analogue for MWO's possible future.

What they've done is always put in bots into the 12-vs-12 field, at least 3 per team but up to full team of bots if necessary during off hours. The moral of that story ... it's not the same as playing against full human teams, but it's still quite fun. It's still kept the game running for years where it otherwise would've been shut down.

But the problem is, a semi competent bot for MWO is potentially a big ask. MWO development has slowed to where they can't do small things, and you're asking them to do a big thing.

Potentially they could port the MW5:M AI algorithms over. But would that bot be good enough?

In MW5:M we'll play semi-stock 'mechs and the AI can have a major numbers advantage. Coding a bot for that scenario is one thing. In MWO the bot would have to play 1-vs-1 against people running meta builds. You'd need to read terrain, analyse your opponents positions, their range brackets vs. your range brackets, your own vs. enemy's heat management, to decide how to engage. Enemy's vulnerable components... your vulnerable components (and need to torso twist).

I'd posit that doing a sufficient AI for MWO is REALLY HARD and whatever we'll get in MW5:M won't be good enough even if ported over.

Edited by jss78, 16 September 2019 - 12:18 PM.

#60 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Oriente, Free Worlds League

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:45 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 09 September 2019 - 11:02 PM, said:

Is it time for A.I bots yet?

You mean like the meandering non-firing VIP Atlas?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users