Virpil Controlles

33 replies to this topic

#21 Azeem447

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:14 AM

alright you two, calm down. everyone know that joysticks is the right way to play mechwarriors. Posted Image

that being said, ya microsoft see's the throttle and it has been calibrated. it works fine on Star citizen. (that what i really bought them for.) but ya i dont know why it doesnt see it in mechwarrior online. ill try out that link that somebody posted. sorry i dont remember you name right now but thanks for that.

#22 Paul Meyers DEST

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 539 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:42 AM

View PostBROARL, on 20 September 2019 - 01:15 PM, said:

you mean people using a joystick for aiming, correct?
or do you mean joystick left hand and mouse right hand?
or do you mean an Xbox type control?
or an orbweaver or tartarus type thing?
or a flight sim?
or...?

...I am guessing you cannot use a joystick and have never actually operated anything heavier than a domestic vehicle.

*it's ok, you can point out i'm not in your games as evidence to support your theory. but once in your life before you die do try playing in a mechpod or sim cockpit because unless you are playing for prizemoneys on your keyboard I personally think you are missing out on a huge chunk of fun Posted Image

i´d wanted to say that i dont expect any 98%+ playing with joystick.

if there are, i am wrong and sorry :beer:

#23 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:41 AM

View PostPaul Meyers DEST, on 22 September 2019 - 01:42 AM, said:

I would have to agree that I suspect not (but no current data set about it). However, I also think it's not wise to expect 98% of the population to fall into line with and be compared to the top 2% of players in the game. As I mentioned previously, there are different levels of play in this game, often to accommodate different levels of commitment and people's various definitions of fun.

#24 Black Caiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 12:59 PM

I crested the "98%" mark last season and I play exclusively with a joystick so it can be done. It does take a lot of time, patience, and practice to learn to make up for the deficiencies of playing with a joystick though. Like all things in life you have to identify the strengths and weaknesses, and then play to your strengths and avoid your weaknesses. Ive played MW games with a joystick since MW2 though I wont play them any other way. If you look in the cockpit of the mech there is a joystick, but no mouse. Its like having the option to play Forza or Gran Turismo with a controller or a steering wheel, shifter, and pedals (clutch please!). One is just way more fun than the other!

#25 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 25 September 2019 - 10:00 AM

If you could look at yourself in the cockpit, you'd also see a neurohelmet that reads your mind.

You don't have one of those sitting on your desk, so the mouse makes up or the lost function.

#26 T e c h 4 9

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Participant
  • CS 2022 Participant
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 28 September 2019 - 12:58 AM

View PostBROARL, on 20 September 2019 - 01:15 PM, said:

you mean people using a joystick for aiming, correct?
or do you mean joystick left hand and mouse right hand?
or do you mean an Xbox type control?
or an orbweaver or tartarus type thing?
or a flight sim?
or...?

...I am guessing you cannot use a joystick and have never actually operated anything heavier than a domestic vehicle.

*it's ok, you can point out i'm not in your games as evidence to support your theory. but once in your life before you die do try playing in a mechpod or sim cockpit because unless you are playing for prizemoneys on your keyboard I personally think you are missing out on a huge chunk of fun Posted Image

I'm with BROARL on this....much fun can be had with controls other than using a KB, which in my opinion is not a natural or comfortable way to play, and certainly not "realistic" (for those interested in the "Sim" experience/immersion). I will admit though that aiming with a joystick certainly seems less optimal to me compared to a mouse. A thumbstick (like on an XBox controller) might be doable and even comparable to a mouse as far as accuracy is concerned, but idk as I don't use a gamepad.....

I am no top-tier comp player for sure and I use a stick (LH for movement functions, instead of WASD on KB, and wireless mouse for aiming/fire controls), but I don't see how using a KB vs. stick has any bearing on the ability to be a competitive player. An argument *might* be able to be made regarding turning speed using a stick vs. KB (KB might be faster, but I doubt it due to turn rates of 'mechs), but accel/decel should not be affected whatsoever due to the fact that 'mechs have an acceleration/deceleration rate that is not instantaneous, even on a light 'mech. Plus, with a stick and the analog capability, I can actually do something a KB player can't do at all (or in the case of setting a constant speed, easily) - I can very easily modulate my turn speed or movement speed forward/backward. There are instances where this can actually be beneficial.

Given that the OP states he purchased both a Virpil stick and a throttle control, I assume he is using the stick for aiming, which I would agree is likely not an optimal performance method. However, to each his own and I hope he finds MWO enjoyable using his setup!

Also, to Azeem447 -

1) did you get it working correctly?
2) how do you like the Virpil controls so far (quality, performance, etc.)

I've considered getting a LH stick from them and a base to replace my trusty Saitek Cyborg EVO (MOAR buttons, yo!)....thanks!

#27 BROARL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 301 posts
  • Locationcommunity warfare

Posted 30 September 2019 - 01:21 PM

Razer has haptic feedback coming (if it's not already available to you).
there are people playing who are hearing impaired etc and from my experience the pretty colours on the keyboard and the rest of the junk all around me is very helpful (ie: i've had the keyboard and mousepad throbbing red in line with seismic, etc) and this could be usefull, yes?
perhaps not when you're trying to use the keyboard but when your hands are elsewhere then the keyboard and stuff may become listening aids. I can only imagine this will get better, and haptic will enable this sort of thing in VR.
get a joystick/flight sim, the future is immersive, why play half way. ;)

#28 Dar1ng One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 227 posts
  • LocationArena Contender Royal

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:32 AM

Best controller that I have used for MWO was my Steel Battalion joystick. That felt like a Battlemech would using that. One day I will pull my finger out and fix it.

#29 Mr D One

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:24 AM

View PostDar1ng One, on 01 October 2019 - 12:32 AM, said:

Best controller that I have used for MWO was my Steel Battalion joystick. That felt like a Battlemech would using that. One day I will pull my finger out and fix it.

Cool story, my sexy doppelganger.... now geed outta heeerrrre

#30 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 24 November 2019 - 07:23 PM

Sadly MWO is not build for Joystick (another Fantasy Joke from the early days to become Founder) like MW4 , so KM is the best way ...not realistic and fine...other side ,we can hope thats not all Games becomes optimized controls to play on cellphones or with Gamepads.
Joysticks have the better Handling with all axis ,as a Mouse /Keyboard and the finger Acrobatic to controll all with two Hands and very different sensibility.The Controls in MWO like the Animations and many others not teh Best Solution.

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 24 November 2019 - 07:24 PM.

#31 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:02 PM

View PostPaul Meyers DEST, on 22 September 2019 - 01:42 AM, said:

Yes, there most certainly are, here's one for you. Me....https://leaderboard....h?u=Biomechtric.
I play with joystick in my left hand for legs & mouse in right for aiming.

#32 MAZEL

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:16 AM

View PostAzeem447, on 21 September 2019 - 07:14 AM, said:

alright you two, calm down. everyone know that joysticks is the right way to play mechwarriors. Posted Image

that being said, ya microsoft see's the throttle and it has been calibrated. it works fine on Star citizen. (that what i really bought them for.) but ya i dont know why it doesnt see it in mechwarrior online. ill try out that link that somebody posted. sorry i dont remember you name right now but thanks for that.

AZEEM447
don't listen to the haters. now to help you
go download joytokey to try to use you're HOTAS in game with MWO also try to connect it to a USB 3.0 and NEVER disconnect it from the PC let MWO detect it by it self itl take weeks probably so till then use joytokey itl work great but the throttle and the joystick movement wont be accurate so yeah...once MWO game detects the HOTAS in game yould be fine..ive been using HOTAS on and off in game but right now im using keyboard and mouse becuz im trying to set up a sim station for MechWarrior online and mech5 mercs. HOTAS the controls of a true MechWarrior....

ive played MechWarrior online this year 2019 for like 5 months or so with a HOTAS so by that i mean that I played it strictly for 5 months with HOTAS yes the learning curve is steep but once you find the best calibration and sensitivity combo you'd be blasting shoulders off in no time!!! but it takes practice and building mechs good mechs around HOTAS controls so first go practice in quickplay and go to the academy training movement section thing and practice there too you will start doing great in no time. and this is my HOTAS set up it has RGB baby!!!!

https://www.amazon.c...75540884&sr=8-3

Edited by MAZEL, 05 December 2019 - 02:18 AM.

#33 Mr D One

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:37 AM

yeah Mazel, you tell em big boi...

#34 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 23 December 2019 - 02:51 PM

I have not tried it myself in this game, but there is a AHK script joystick to mouse.
It even emulates mouse acceleration extreme fast. Would recommend sturdy joystick with a twist.
And use a S-Curve utility to calibrate axis.

Edited by ExoForce, 23 December 2019 - 02:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users