- - - - -

Best Ways To Deal Damage?

Question Help Me

205 replies to this topic

#161 MOBAjobg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 04:14 AM

CherokeeRose, I am upset that we've not played any matches yet.

#162 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 09 December 2019 - 04:24 AM

View PostMOBAjobg, on 09 December 2019 - 04:14 AM, said:

CherokeeRose, I am upset that we've not played any matches yet.

Can always 1v1 in lobby ... Not hinting at anything. Just sayin. Yep.

#163 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 465 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:17 PM

You know what I find is interesting?

CherokeeRose is openly sharing mech builds which (I think) have been conclusively show to let "less skilled" players get higher scores (easy mode/faceroll on keyboard),

CR has called games in advanced, which automatically removes all "cherry picking" arguments. And posted good results.

Science!

CR's jarls list and posted mech stats agree (mostly).

Even so, it is disturbing that the Jarl's List is so different than the mwomerc web site.
Someone should look into that.

Maybe giving newbies difficult loadouts is a way of farming newbs?

Tin foil hat time?

If discord coms are being used and leaving in game coms people to die, then SHAMEFUL!

IMHO, the META is telling the new players to use load outs that are difficult for new players to use.

Like in Doom, back in 1995, META says use the pump shotgun or double barrel shotgun.

It's a great weapon, no doubt.

But it's a lot easier for newbs to use the Plasma Rifle RAC (2 or 5), or the BFG (Streaks)

#164 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:24 PM

Now, it's a party!

I'm in the woods most of the time, with massive lag. Next time I get into town I'll be up for some games. Anybody wants to play, send me a friend invite. I'm not even sure how that even works. Can I type in name to invite people like Ash to be my friend? I saw a badger (or was it a wolverine?) with a shotgun, made me wonder if it was the kit fox guy.

#165 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:36 PM

First game in New MAD-5M... here toy go. Satellite lag.

#166 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:49 PM

Posted Image
ROFL

Posted Image

#167 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:00 PM

Posted Image

#168 Paul Meyers DEST

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 540 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:26 AM

Uih, another bracket build and again not on a 3R. Well done.

#169 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:35 AM

These shots only prove that with your ping and your build, you can't contribute much even if your team is facerolling the OpFor. Out in the woods, maybe you should waste your time playing Doppelkopf or Poker or the likes, instead of online games.

#170 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,695 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:05 AM

View Postkalashnikity, on 09 December 2019 - 09:17 PM, said:

CherokeeRose is openly sharing mech builds which (I think) have been conclusively show to let "less skilled" players get higher scores (easy mode/faceroll on keyboard),
And which also pigeonhole them into a narrow "comfort zone" and discourage personal improvement.

CR has called games in advanced, which automatically removes all "cherry picking" arguments. And posted good results.
Insufficient sample size to make that argument.

Even so, it is disturbing that the Jarl's List is so different than the mwomerc web site.
"Different" where? It aggregates data from this site's leaderboards. The only "difference" is that mwomercs by default sorts players by number of wins while Jarl's default sorts players by average match score.

Maybe giving newbies difficult loadouts is a way of farming newbs?
Tin foil hat time?
Tin foil hat time: maybe giving newbies flawed, underperforming builds is a way of ensuring they won't progress any further.
And maybe giving them builds that are optimized but a little more demanding is a way of motivating them to improve.

Facerolling bads isn't fun. Facerolling bads with bad builds isn't fun. Watching your team get sunk by bads with bad builds playing on your side? Not fun either.
Any self-respecting high level player (hell, even a mediocre player) wants more competent opponents and teammates. And helping newbies improve is the only way to get there.

IMHO, the META is telling the new players to use load outs that are difficult for new players to use.

View PostCherokeeRose, on 09 December 2019 - 09:24 PM, said:

Now, it's a party!
I'm in the woods most of the time, with massive lag. Next time I get into town I'll be up for some games. Anybody wants to play, send me a friend invite. I'm not even sure how that even works. Can I type in name to invite people like Ash to be my friend?
You can, but they have to accept your friend request.

Edited by Horseman, 11 December 2019 - 04:59 AM.

#171 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:56 AM

The meta (not an acronym) is a generally proven, reliable tactical and build methodology for getting the most out of your matches. If the meta is "difficult for new players," that means the game is difficult - a long-recognized problem with MWO, and the reason we have the Academy and third-person mode. For those of us who grew up with Mechwarrior games, it's hardly rocket science; for people unfamiliar with the subgenre, all the options can be daunting.

We pointed out by page three that (because of this learning curve) steering new players toward builds that are great for smashing other newbies but bad against better-optimized builds will hurt them in the long run. Players seeing this thread can be forgiven for not seeing the third page - but if you're going to accuse veterans of lying to newbies so we can farm them...

First thing, wow. Second, you'd better actually have read the whole thread before you you make that kind of accusation. Saying "tin foil hat time" doesn't make you less of a horse's exhaust vent - so smurf you and the smurfing horse you smurfed in on, you smurfing son of a smurf.

#172 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:52 PM

View Postkalashnikity, on 09 December 2019 - 09:17 PM, said:

You know what I find is interesting?

The opposite actually.

He is a player with knowledge and some understanding of MWO and the game.

And thus farming Tier 5 players for all they are worth with bad builds. Come up against decent players - IE not Tier 5 - suddenly the farming and dmg stops and lacklustre numbers appear.

One should ALWAYS aim to give the best advice - especially to new players. They then will not learn bad/poor habits.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 11 December 2019 - 01:53 PM.

#173 Gilgamecc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:47 AM

someone tell me you love my work rehabilitating the reputation of the Rifleman or I'm going to cu

#174 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,695 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:25 AM

View PostGilgamecc, on 14 December 2019 - 07:47 AM, said:

someone tell me you love my work rehabilitating the reputation of the Rifleman or I'm going to cu
Rifleman is not a bad mech and whatever you're doing to disprove rumors to the contrary - keep doing it.

In a pinch you can toss 2xUAC10 and LFE250 on almost any variant and you've got something that has a decent mix of mobility and firepower. As long as you pilot it correctly (IE: don't take the freaking point, don't crest ridges with your whole mech, by all means abuse your high mounts to max potential) you can vomit an ungodly amount of 40-point bursts

Edited by Horseman, 14 December 2019 - 11:27 AM.

#175 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 04:30 PM

y'all know the drill by now, 5 in a row (in a brand new mech I never thought I'd own)...and I'll post the result.

Here toy go. Yes, I know MW5 just came out, I'm hoping ANYBODY will be online... Posted Image

Posted Image

#176 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 05:30 PM

I didn't even test this mech outside testing grounds, so this was the first 5 ever, and I've never played a MAD, outside of MW2

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

529 dmg/game

3:2 W:L

2:2 K:D

Frankly the 5 medium pulse laser aren't coming in very handy (except, rarely, they are awesome), I think it needs some tuning. Posted Image I love tuning.

To keep those medium pulse lasers I think i'll have to drop a lot of points in firepower for the extra range and heat management. Or swap them for 4 ERML and a tag or something weird like that.

#177 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 06:51 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 11 December 2019 - 01:52 PM, said:

The opposite actually.

He is a player with knowledge and some understanding of MWO and the game.

And thus farming Tier 5 players for all they are worth with bad builds. Come up against decent players - IE not Tier 5 - suddenly the farming and dmg stops and lacklustre numbers appear.

One should ALWAYS aim to give the best advice - especially to new players. They then will not learn bad/poor habits.

you mean like "use a kit fox"?

Posted Image

#178 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 16 December 2019 - 06:54 PM

View PostCherokeeRose, on 16 December 2019 - 05:30 PM, said:

To keep those medium pulse lasers I think i'll have to drop a lot of points in firepower for the extra range and heat management. Or swap them for 4 ERML and a tag or something weird like that.

I'd consider changing to normal medium lasers. The ERs will produce additional heat, unless heat isn't the issue and range is... (If you are dropping the MPLs that is of course.)
Either way, I'd also probably drop the Lt FF, as you've just gained 5 tons of weight. Add additional heat sinks and/or ammo as needed for the build.

#179 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 07:00 PM

Posted Image

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I switched to kit fox... for three more games.... Posted Image

eta: well, that's embarrassing, I did a newb mistake, forgot to switch my skills to QP, I was running full gladiator.

Edited by CherokeeRose, 16 December 2019 - 07:12 PM.

#180 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 07:45 PM

3/5 are using gladiator skills, so no uav or air strikes.

My kid unplugged the modem halfway through a good game...so I did #6.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users