Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:06 PM

So far its glorious well done PGI

#242 OmniFail

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:09 PM

Yes... Yes... I want to buy a expansion!!!

#243 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:13 PM

yep, well said.

#244 Drenath

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 88 posts
  • LocationIL-US

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:30 PM

If by "roots" you mean a game that could probably have been made 20 years ago, yes. The production quality is terribad. It's like no effort went into this game at all. MWO Academy and Testing Grounds is a better looking/feeling stompy robot sim than this.

#245 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:32 PM

View PostDrenath, on 10 December 2019 - 06:30 PM, said:

If by "roots" you mean a game that could probably have been made 20 years ago, yes. The production quality is terribad. It's like no effort went into this game at all. MWO Academy and Testing Grounds is a better looking/feeling stompy robot sim than this.

Greatly appreciating that this game was designed to be a single player experience.

#246 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:20 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 09 December 2019 - 11:06 PM, said:

Who talks in 3rd person about someone in front of them? Who does that, even?

I thought you were arguing with somebody else; I had made one post just to call out your hyperbole. But, if I'm now the target:

I'm not burning ****. I started this thread as a positive one.

You did not start it as a positive one, because...

You know who I am, so don't act like we are on opposite sides of the table. I started this thread, one single ******* thread, in a sea of them because I actually enjoyed my experience with the demo contrary to popular belief.
I'm an aesthetics person, and wanted to share some screenshots that I thought were super cool.

...you couldn't help but scatter some underhanded jabs at parties you never fully understood all throughout the original post.

I've been a part of this community for almost 5 years now, and for a long part of that was very active in MWO. I'm aware of all the baggage, don't act like I'm not.

You spent a lot of those 5 years as a Gyrok Lite, too.

#247 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:40 AM

View PostY E O N N E, on 10 December 2019 - 07:20 PM, said:

I thought you were arguing with somebody else; I had made one post just to call out your hyperbole. But, if I'm now the target:
You did not start it as a positive one, because...
...you couldn't help but scatter some underhanded jabs at parties you never fully understood all throughout the original post.
You spent a lot of those 5 years as a Gyrok Lite, too.

The **** are you on Yeonne?
Get off that horse, it’s dead.

#248 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:48 AM

You dare compare me to Gyrok.
I do miss those threads though.
We’re through.

Edited by Jackal Noble, 11 December 2019 - 12:49 AM.

#249 DieGruneMorder

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:02 AM

The mech lab is a watered down disappointment besides being ugly (no engine choice like even mech2 had). This makes customizing next to pointless, and the inability to change weight with ferro and XLs limits your choices in general. On top of this, i find it hard to believe that PGI could find a way to make jump jets even worse than MWO, however life uhhhh found a way it seems....

#250 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:08 AM

Well, I disagree on the Mechlab part, but could you elaborate on why you find jumpjets bad in MW5, DieGruneMorder?

#251 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:10 AM

View PostDieGruneMorder, on 11 December 2019 - 01:02 AM, said:

The mech lab is a watered down disappointment besides being ugly (no engine choice like even mech2 had). This makes customizing next to pointless, and the inability to change weight with ferro and XLs limits your choices in general. On top of this, i find it hard to believe that PGI could find a way to make jump jets even worse than MWO, however life uhhhh found a way it seems....

Ok, if you were to think of a logical reason why engine swapping is not permitted for the sake of the overall game play (hbs battletech did exactly the same thing) what do you think that reason would be?
Hint, it’s tied to the original concept of Battletech, in that it’s ridiculously expensive to swap out an engine in a mech, you would be just as well off finding another mech or salvage.
MWO being an entirely different game (PvP vs PvE, solo) and as such introducing MWO mechanics would only water down the game, not the opposite.
Ughh ugghhhhhh uuuuughhhhhhhh uuuuuuuuggggghhhhhhhhhhh

Edited by Jackal Noble, 11 December 2019 - 01:22 AM.

#252 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:20 AM

Further at the point of the story, a lot of the inner workings of battle mechs are unknown and until tech level improves mech techs are only really able to maintain mechs at best, not change an engine fusion core.

#253 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:02 AM

As Jackal Noble's pointed out, swapping engines in Battlemechs is really expensive. If you have Roguetech, then just try putting an XL engine or a LFE into a mech along with a fusion core. The cost rises to millions of C-bills. Yes, it'd be great if we could do that in MW5 right away without needing a mod like Roguetech at a later time to possibly have this modded in but, you should think about the lore aspect. Lore is important in SP games. In MP games, the game revolves around being accessible and having full control over equipment to make the best possible build to be competitive.

Just give it a try. Some of us have played the MW5 demo and this restriction isn't as bad as you think it is. In fact, it is good 'cause you're always trying to salvage an entire new mech with good options instead of just getting one chassis and being able to fit whatever you find. It adds to the progression.

#254 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:21 AM

View PostAppogee, on 09 December 2019 - 04:49 PM, said:

These devs are great at making promises.
  • But they don't deliver on launch (eg. VR, RTX).
  • Then they say "early in the new year" (which is their latest gambit).
  • Then the end of the year will come and they still won't have delivered.
We have seen this deceptive behaviour time and time again from PGI. You cannot take them at their word.

To be fair, PGI said VR was something they'd like to do but admitted they didn't even know how to go about it and that at best they could possibly do a VR headtracker... However it wasn't something they promised.
And trust me when I say I'm a bitter person when it comes to PGI's design directions for MWO... I wish I could say they got smart enough not to promise stuff, but in this case they didn't promise it.

Joystick support, welp.. it's better.

RTX... I don't know what that is nor have I heard of it being discussed so no comment.

#255 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:25 AM

View PostKoniving, on 11 December 2019 - 03:21 AM, said:

RTX... I don't know what that is nor have I heard of it being discussed so no comment.

nVidia's latest technology, bringing ray-tracing to PC games. There was huge hype around it a year ago.

#256 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:35 AM

MW2 didn't have the option to change engines.
Mw2 Mercs did, but MW2 itself did not (as you only had Omnimechs as choices to use).

MW3 also did not have the choice to change engines.

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 11 December 2019 - 02:02 AM, said:

As Jackal Noble's pointed out, swapping engines in Battlemechs is really expensive. If you have Roguetech, then just try putting an XL engine or a LFE into a mech along with a fusion core. The cost rises to millions of C-bills. Yes, it'd be great if we could do that in MW5 right away without needing a mod like Roguetech at a later time to possibly have this modded in but, you should think about the lore aspect. Lore is important in SP games. In MP games, the game revolves around being accessible and having full control over equipment to make the best possible build to be competitive.

Just give it a try. Some of us have played the MW5 demo and this restriction isn't as bad as you think it is. In fact, it is good 'cause you're always trying to salvage an entire new mech with good options instead of just getting one chassis and being able to fit whatever you find. It adds to the progression.

Comedically, when you said "rising to millions of cbills" I thought of the price difference between an Atlas with a standard 300 engine and no weapons, and buying an Atlas with an XL 300, with it being the same Atlas before it is built, and the price difference is 12 million cbills...and that's in "build a mech" Meklab without factoring any lore fluff stuff for the Megamek HQ (the most official 'unofficial' Battletech there is)... Then when you're customizing a mech, I actually had to have my tech look online and do some inquiries, found one about 3 star systems away for the great price of 14.5 million cbills (XL engines for 100 ton mechs are insanely expensive, an XL 300 for a 35 tonner is like 5 mill, but XL 300 for a 100 tonner goes right through the roof and they're incompatible to swap with each other), had to wait a month for it to be delivered, took five weeks to install it, and turns out the engine was damaged so it pumped out 5 waste heat every 10 seconds (0.5 every second) just for being on.

And I'm not gonna get into the AC/5 that blew up after the first use due to installing it and getting an ammo feed problem due to the Lead Tech's lack of skill and the astechs only being half-crewed. First use, critical jam, BOOM!

#257 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:39 AM

Actually kinda forgot, one of the AsTechs (Assistant Technicians) actually died trying to install that engine due to an accident during one of the work-shifts involving his work on the Atlas. (Yay dice rolls.)

#258 MiG77

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • LocationThird tree from the left

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:25 AM

About those engines and different armor and their customisation. Game starts 3015 so XL engines and FF didnt even exist then if I remember right(or were lost tech at the time)?

#259 Mr D One

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:46 AM

View PostKoniving, on 11 December 2019 - 03:21 AM, said:

Only the Mech Bay has some RTX enabled support. The whole game, (for me) looks great and plays better. This is the game I have waited for.

#260 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:03 AM

View PostKoniving, on 11 December 2019 - 03:35 AM, said:

MW2 didn't have the option to change engines.
Mw2 Mercs did, but MW2 itself did not (as you only had Omnimechs as choices to use).

MW3 also did not have the choice to change engines.

You can upgrade/downgrade the engines in MW2.

I don't remember if you could in MW3, but everything else was customizable in that game (an Awesome with 8 AC/2s? - no problem)

In fact, the fully customizable mechs in MW2 and MW3 were the biggest immersion killer of that games. It just made all mechs the same thing (only the geometry and tonnage matters). But in MW2:M's campaign at least you spend a LOT of money to change anything in the mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users