Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries Is Out Now!

122 replies to this topic

#81 Kayne Warden

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:48 AM

God, why do I always buy games so early? This game is a mess. As a big fan of Battletech for almost 30 years now, I always get excited, when something new comes out. Especially after so many years since Mechwarrior 4. But... god, I'm so disappointed.

Spawn points were already mentioned, but there's so much more...
- Endless spawns of useless vehicles: A vehicle in Battletech ist not just cannon fodder, it can be a dangerous enemy. Especially a 80t tank against a 25t Mech. Mechs shouldn't be able to just walk over vehicles that are supposed to be four times as large as the mech.
- Size: Locust is about half the size of the spider. Noticed their weight? They should almost be of the same size. Vehicles are WAY too small
- This is BattleTECH goddammit... not BatteFIELD. There is no sense in making another brainless shooter where the hero kills whole battalions by himself. I remember MechWarrior 3, where a single Annihilator opposing my complete Lance of heavies was an actual THREAT. 50 tons again 50 tons should be a fair fight, where the skill of the Mechwarriors decides over the outcome.
- Tactics: Not necessary. Or not possible. Why? Spawn points. And stupid lancemates. And not enough commands for them. Why no "Hold formation"? No "Spread out"? Sure, at the current state of the game, that would make no sense, as enemies appear simply everywhere in unlimited numbers. Please change that, it's stupid!!
- Customization: Not there. I can't even edit my pilot or my company emblem.
- Immersion: What's that? Please, let me name my pilot. Don't call me by a damn username I picked to use in a STORE!! I already care little enough for the story or the characters (because both suck), but that's really too much.
- One very frustrating thing is the fact, that my lance mates are still fighting on, when I'm already back at the drop ship. Screen already black, loading sign in the lower right corner... and I still hear them calling "component lost", "my left torso is gone". Wtf?

I could go on like that, but I'm sure, nobody really cares, because you have my money already.

To be fair, I gotta mention some good things about the game too:
- piloting the Mechs feels good
- destruction stuff is pretty cool
- there's definitely addiction potential in that game

Conclusion: I should really wait for enough mods to come out, before buying a game in the future. Maybe those can save this game.

Oh, and one more thing: Today there was a patch, that was suppose to FIX the 'fatal error'. It didn't. In fact, it introduced that bug to my game, as before that patch, I havent encountered it. Now it's ruining every second mission by occuring when I return to the dropship.

#82 Paladin IIC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 12:40 PM

Oh look, couldn't access the game for 5 hours on a Saturday because the Epic Launcher was experiencing network issues due to an event on...Fortnite. Good job PGI, good to see you've found a quality partner who can fail its customers just as much as you do, sure you guys hit it off real well!

#83 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 14 December 2019 - 01:59 PM

So i just installed a gigabyte GTX 970 to play MW5 and its having a complete mardy. i3-4130 3.4 , 12gb of ram. Its working fine for MWO on high and very high settings, plays Battletech on Ultra but in MW5 it either crashes or overloads the PSU.

This is the potential sticking spot. The PSU is 450w which 'should' be fine so why is the PC completely crashing and rebooting when trying MW5. Is there a way you can limit the wattage of a graphics card just to see if this is the case?

Ironically an AMD R7 260x ran the game (albiet on shite graphics).

Ta in advance.

#84 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 14 December 2019 - 02:05 PM

View Postmad kat, on 14 December 2019 - 01:59 PM, said:

So i just installed a gigabyte GTX 970 to play MW5 and its having a complete mardy. i3-4130 3.4 , 12gb of ram. Its working fine for MWO on high and very high settings, plays Battletech on Ultra but in MW5 it either crashes or overloads the PSU.

This is the potential sticking spot. The PSU is 450w which 'should' be fine so why is the PC completely crashing and rebooting when trying MW5. Is there a way you can limit the wattage of a graphics card just to see if this is the case?

Ironically an AMD R7 260x ran the game (albiet on shite graphics).

Ta in advance.

450W is a bit low for a modern PC. There are utilities out there that can underclock your CPU but that is not a good idea. As long as you don't have multiple mechanical hard drives that 450W might get you by. Your i3 is probably the weak point of your system, that is a low-end cpu.

#85 Azhrael

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 03:12 PM

SO GLAD i didnt buy this embarrasment of a game. I FRAKKING KNEW IT.

To ANYBODY trying to defend this disgrace: Go and launch your old copy of MW4: Mercs and get ready to count the obscene amount of features this guys just " decided " to left out.

Can you imagine they "developed " this thing w/o looking up MW4:Mercs??? Is that conceviable?

Because if not, for the life of me i cant imagine being in the studio like : " What about this thing? Nah, remove it ... and this other? Scrap it..." over and over!

Same **** with Battletech vs Mech Commander 2!. UNBELIABLE.

FFS SMH.

PD :

AT LEAST ENGINES?? HELLO??!? NO? Well F*** YOU!

#86 Gannycus

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 04:37 PM

View PostPaladin IIC, on 14 December 2019 - 12:40 PM, said:

Oh look, couldn't access the game for 5 hours on a Saturday because the Epic Launcher was experiencing network issues due to an event on...Fortnite. Good job PGI, good to see you've found a quality partner who can fail its customers just as much as you do, sure you guys hit it off real well!

Do you need the launcher to play? I remember some informations from the AMAs about the possibility of opening the game from the .exe directly.

#87 -Ramrod-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 679 posts
  • LocationSome place

Posted 14 December 2019 - 06:46 PM

When will Mechwarrior be out of the hands of Canadian incompetence?

#88 BiggE

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:28 PM

I do not post normally. I was hoping that this might renew my interest in MW that I have lost over time playing MWO (way to repetitive game play), but MW5 is a steaming pile of junk. So many problems. DO NOT BUY. Its so bad I do not think even 3 or 4 patches will fix it. All they had to do was re skin MW4 or heck even MW3 but nope this was not done.

I am going back to playing Battletech at least its playable.

#89 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:43 PM

View PostKayne Warden, on 14 December 2019 - 11:48 AM, said:

God, why do I always buy games so early? This game is a mess. As a big fan of Battletech for almost 30 years now, I always get excited, when something new comes out. Especially after so many years since Mechwarrior 4. But... god, I'm so disappointed.

Spawn points were already mentioned, but there's so much more...

A quick fix the spawn point issue.
As you go to areas that you suspect should or will have enemies in it...look away.
The game won't spawn enemies while you are looking at them but if you look away for the briefest millisecond they suddenly pop in. Problem is as we approach we spend the entire time looking at the spawn points.
So look around, enjoy the view, pretend you're paranoid as you approach and just look away periodically, and they'll pop a long distance ahead of you instead of right behind you.

- Size: Locust is about half the size of the spider. Noticed their weight? They should almost be of the same size. Vehicles are WAY too small

<.<

Conclusion: I should really wait for enough mods to come out, before buying a game in the future. Maybe those can save this game.

Keep an eye out for my name for some mods that address some of your complaints, whenever PGI unlocks the game so we can start modding.

View PostGannycus, on 14 December 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

Do you need the launcher to play? I remember some informations from the AMAs about the possibility of opening the game from the .exe directly.

Just to install.

And to patch.

Basically only open the launcher when you wanna update it.

#90 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:44 PM

View PostAzhrael, on 14 December 2019 - 03:12 PM, said:

SO GLAD i didnt buy this embarrasment of a game. I FRAKKING KNEW IT.

To ANYBODY trying to defend this disgrace: Go and launch your old copy of MW4: Mercs and get ready to count the obscene amount of features this guys just " decided " to left out.

Can you imagine they "developed " this thing w/o looking up MW4:Mercs??? Is that conceviable?

Because if not, for the life of me i cant imagine being in the studio like : " What about this thing? Nah, remove it ... and this other? Scrap it..." over and over!

Same **** with Battletech vs Mech Commander 2!. UNBELIABLE.

FFS SMH.

PD :

AT LEAST ENGINES?? HELLO??!? NO? Well F*** YOU!

BATTLETECH is great, have not played MW5 yet, but not hearing / seeing good things about it. The people who prefer Mech Commander over BATTLETECH just prefer RTS over Turn Based for the most part.

#91 Paladin IIC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:52 PM

Considering this game is literally a first person Battletech (The gameplay mechanisms, models, etc all being directly taken from the game) you shouldn't expect much. They recycled mech models and mechanics from two separate games, added some new voice acting and a couple of generic character models to this thing and called it a new game. It feels like buying a used car with 200,000 miles on it; it works but it doesn't do anything special or new and is prone to issues. PGI's business model is to save money on production by recycling every single element they can, slap a new coat of paint on the final "product" and call it new.

Edited by Paladin IIC, 14 December 2019 - 11:53 PM.

#92 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 12:02 AM

Hopefully there is still some future for MWO. Single player / co-op in MW5 will be fun for a while, but PVP makes the game much more replayable.

#93 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 326 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 15 December 2019 - 12:46 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 15 December 2019 - 12:02 AM, said:

Hopefully there is still some future for MWO. Single player / co-op in MW5 will be fun for a while, but PVP makes the game much more replayable.

Yep. I love MW5, but when the story's over, there are only so many kinds of missions playing against AI, even with friends. PVP is so much more intense and dynamic.

#94 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 15 December 2019 - 03:39 AM

My first review?

My hand hurts after 30min of gameplay. The gameplay reminds me of the god old Half Live but with a bad interface.

WTF it took me 15min to get down into the hangar and one hour to speak with the guy there.

No..

MWO plays much better..without hurting my hand.

#95 Sardauker Legion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 152 posts
  • LocationDropship Litany of Fury, Draconis Combinate, covert ops

Posted 15 December 2019 - 04:57 AM

View PostKayne Warden, on 14 December 2019 - 11:48 AM, said:

- Endless spawns of useless vehicles: A vehicle in Battletech ist not just cannon fodder, it can be a dangerous enemy. Especially a 80t tank against a 25t Mech. Mechs shouldn't be able to just walk over vehicles that are supposed to be four times as large as the mech.

Are you sure you are a 30 years battletech fan? Tanks have always been that small, and in the original battletech / citytech rules were melee attacks. We always walked on tanks in older games.

#96 Kayne Warden

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 05:21 AM

View PostAnavel Gato2, on 15 December 2019 - 04:57 AM, said:

Are you sure you are a 30 years battletech fan? Tanks have always been that small, and in the original battletech / citytech rules were melee attacks. We always walked on tanks in older games.

Vehicles have always been so small in video games, yes. In action games at least. And it has always been stupid as hell. Can't I hope for a developer that actually thinks before he does anything? Maybe one, that does something BETTER than his predecessors? MechWarrior 4 already was a pretty stupid arcade game with exploding reactors because both legs were destroyed. Can't blame Microsoft for making stuff like that, because for them Battletech is just something to make money with. But the company that was talking about a 'reboot' of the series, with Mechs, that actually matter, with talk about 'being true to the spirit of Battletech'? About ten years ago?

And melee attacks are something completely different than just stomping over something. I thought that to be obvious...
And yeah, an Atlas might be able to just walk over a 25t tank. But a Locust walking over a Bulldog?

Edited by Kayne Warden, 15 December 2019 - 05:23 AM.

#97 Rinkata Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 315 posts
  • LocationSoviet Clans

Posted 15 December 2019 - 05:34 AM

Well, exactly like it was expected. One year of exclusive beta testing begins.
Waiting for actual game release in Steam in 2020.

#98 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 05:48 AM

Its been fun so far just playing the campaign
Its a bit challenging, but thats ok as their a bit of a learning curve.
I found it best to do your objective and get outta there Posted Image

Been grinding level 4 areas to level my pilots
Good pilots are hard to find so its kinda like MWO Posted Image

#99 DangerousOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:17 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 15 December 2019 - 05:48 AM, said:

Good pilots are hard to find so its kinda like MWO Posted Image

Go to Rasalhague, they say there are plenty of high level pilots.

Edited by DangerousOne, 15 December 2019 - 08:17 AM.

#100 Sabertooth1966

• PipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 92 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:28 AM

For those that seem to have a lot of issues with MW5 spawning enemies on top of them. Try launching the game with the EXE file inside the game folder. The shortcut that epic makes required me to log into Epic. I used this when I first started playing and had enemies spawning on top of me and in the mission to destroy the pirate base had ground units spawning inside the base after I got the all clear on ground units message. Also got dog piled trying to kill the spider.

After using the direct launch file from inside the game that seem to stop for the most part. Had no more ground units spawn in the base after getting the all clear and only had the one wave of ground units when dealing with the spider. I had cleared one level of ground units previously then while fighting the spider had a boat load respawn behind me again before.

I have had issues with steam games doing odd thing when logged into their launcher as well.

Also as others have said keep your head on a swivel.

Edited by Sabertooth1966, 15 December 2019 - 08:32 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users