Will You Play It Again?

20 replies to this topic

#1 HellJumper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 26 December 2019 - 10:24 PM

Hello

so i am assuming here that with the upcoming DLCs/ expansions we will see more variety of missions in game and more mechs.

so will you play the game from start to enjoy the more variety of missions??

#2 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 27 December 2019 - 12:12 AM

Probably yes.

Many times.

I'm rank 12 currently, and I can't really see why I should ever stop playing the game. Once the story missions are over, I hope I can just keep playing regular missions, since they are probably more fun than just instant action, because of all the micro management, and the fact that you can always get wrecked on a tough mission and need to replenish stuff..

I will probably play as long as the game lets me.. And then probably try to play again, and attempt to align myself with different houses early.

I wonder if one can gather some money and jump to saaaay, Steiner space and play there at the same rank-appropriate difficulty.

#3 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 27 December 2019 - 12:56 AM

You can fill your coffers with C-bills early on and jump to Steiner space but you won't have the tonnage and upgraded weapons to deal with the difficulty. I mean, you probably could by bringing long-range loadouts and making sure you move at a snail's pace carefully killing everything but I don't think it'd be fun doing that.

#4 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 27 December 2019 - 03:11 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 27 December 2019 - 12:56 AM, said:

You can fill your coffers with C-bills early on and jump to Steiner space but you won't have the tonnage and upgraded weapons to deal with the difficulty. I mean, you probably could by bringing long-range loadouts and making sure you move at a snail's pace carefully killing everything but I don't think it'd be fun doing that.

I was kinda hoping the difficulty rises with your rank, not with your location on the map.. Cose' if it doesn't then you're always Davion's lap dog in the beginning..

Can you even Kurita at least? (instead of Davion)

#5 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 03:53 AM

Did my one run, filled up my entire Cold Storage with heroes in post-game and have yet to feel the need to go back. There's not enough in the core gameplay loop to pull me back in.

Call me when they add more mission types, or multiple objective missions (read: in the same map).

#6 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 27 December 2019 - 05:17 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 27 December 2019 - 03:11 AM, said:

I was kinda hoping the difficulty rises with your rank, not with your location on the map.. Cose' if it doesn't then you're always Davion's lap dog in the beginning..

Actually, difficulty based on planets is a better idea. It's just that PGI has predetermined the difficulty of entire sectors of the IS. In HBS's BT, you can go anywhere at any time and find planets with different difficulties 'cause it isn't tied to you (it was early on when BT was new. Edit:- The difficulty increase was based on your progress in the main campaign). The only barrier is the faction rating as high difficulty missions won't be available to you if they deem you as untrustworthy but you can do missions upto 3-3.5 skull difficulty.

I think you'll have to stay in the Davion-Kurita border and choose very carefully to do missions that benefit your relationship with the Kuritans. It is do-able maybe but you'll end up travelling a lot and doing only 1 mission per planet if you're unlucky.

Edited by FRAGTAST1C, 27 December 2019 - 05:18 AM.

#7 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 December 2019 - 06:07 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 27 December 2019 - 05:17 AM, said:

Actually, difficulty based on planets is a better idea. It's just that PGI has predetermined the difficulty of entire sectors of the IS. In HBS's BT, you can go anywhere at any time and find planets with different difficulties 'cause it isn't tied to you (it was early on when BT was new. Edit:- The difficulty increase was based on your progress in the main campaign). The only barrier is the faction rating as high difficulty missions won't be available to you if they deem you as untrustworthy but you can do missions upto 3-3.5 skull difficulty.

I think you'll have to stay in the Davion-Kurita border and choose very carefully to do missions that benefit your relationship with the Kuritans. It is do-able maybe but you'll end up travelling a lot and doing only 1 mission per planet if you're unlucky.

I wonder when PGI made it this way
I remember from many an AMA that we can start in different places in the IS and thus have different mechs available to us at the start and yada yada
So replay value is high since you can pick different places to start, different house to align yada yada

Would've preferred a more BT style mission setup instead of making it clockwise more difficult

Edited by Peter2k, 27 December 2019 - 06:07 AM.

#8 Five by Five

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 09:18 AM

First play through I'm doing the grinds against pirates and insurgents, easier that way to build up rep with the House in control of the markets. I could see taking an every other slice of the pie strategy, may do that at some point.

On my second play campaign though, I think I'll try to max Kurita first . . . just to see. Of course according to the prequel fiction, I guess my character and my crew are not very found of House Kurita . . . Will my Tech go on strike or sabatoge my mech if I get too friendly the snakes?

Edited by Five by Five, 27 December 2019 - 03:02 PM.

#9 Five by Five

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 03:09 PM

View PostPeter2k, on 27 December 2019 - 06:07 AM, said:

Would've preferred a more BT style mission setup instead of making it clockwise more difficult

At first I preferred HBS BT's system to MW5, but as I've played MW5, I think I like most of MW5's systems better. MW5's salvage, contracting and skills systems are better imo. I do wish MW5 had a lost pilot memorial board. I generally like MW5's time progression system better. HBS's planetary difficulty is probably better, though I'm won't be sure until I've done some more MW5 playing.

#10 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 06:08 PM

I'm already planning on doing a new "salvage only" play through and skip the shop entirely. I'll need to pick up pilots i guess, but i can just chuck them in disposable mechs as cannon fodder (take the XCOM approach to soldiers).

I like what MW5 did with BT's 'flashpoint' missions, i think it fits better with the game and is more cohesive.

Kinda wish they had taken some of their (MWO) map design and put it in, but i guess that's a bit complex for AI to navigate.

View PostVellron2005, on 27 December 2019 - 03:11 AM, said:

Well sure, if you go to the border region in Davion territory you can do Kurita missions against them. I'm rank 9 iirc and i already own a King crab+ Awesome since i went north into Kurita territory instead of following the campaign missions west.

I dont think i can do any missions deep into Kurita territory due to my rank being too low. need to stick with the border zone missions but have Kurita at 'friendly' and Davion at "hero" standing by taking Kurita's side vs davion then doing Davion vs pirates/insurgents.

Edited by Asmosis, 27 December 2019 - 06:14 PM.

#11 xX_Nero_Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 649 posts
  • LocationDallas,Texas

Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:09 PM

I just want them to continue the story line ,like going into clan space and following his fathers past instead of stopping where it did, I also think it sucks we get the memory core but didn't get to chose "one of those mechs "she raves about in the sldf base underground

#12 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:21 PM

109 hours and I'm taking a break, maxed out ranks and such and beat the main game. I love that it's still got stuff for you to do after the main storyline, which I really enjoyed.

I'll absolutely play it again even before the DLC.

#13 Spitfire 03

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 06:16 PM

Yes.

#14 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:15 AM

I'll see what the D.L.C is. like

If they work on the incredibly dull story, , the wax work NPC's the crap dialogue.

They overhaul the A.I so they use a system other than human wave tactic to cause death by 1000 paper cuts.

If I can change the badge on my drop ship.

Hey boss that new merc unit, has exactly the same colours as the one you wiped out years ago.. duh...

If I can be anyone else but this thick American, whom talks like he can barely tie his boot laces, let alone run a merc unit.

If I can space that moron fake cockney, with the parting shot of bye bye you W*****..

If I can sack that operations officer, that has so little personality, that not even E harmony could get her a date.

Then sure I'll buy the next DLC.

#15 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:48 AM

View PostC E Dwyer, on 31 December 2019 - 07:15 AM, said:

If I can change the badge on my drop ship.

few missions ago, a enemy dropship had Nic's Cavaliers Badge on it , dropping enemies, yeah that is one I would like to change

#16 N0MAD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 02:26 PM

Unfortunately a Storm took out my modem (3 days to replace it) so i thought i will play MW, few hours into it i was getting dismayed at playing same 3 small square maps, Ice, Tundra, Desert canyon, with same 4 mission types, Assassinate, Demolish, Take out targets, Defend. Predictably the choppers would appear then a few tanks, then the small mechs and increasing numbers as you got closer to target then the inevitable mech reinforcements as you go to pick up. Spawn in mech bay, the walk to the terminal, pick up reward, repair mech, next mission.
As i lvl up a few bigger mechs but same old as i had been doing for 3-4 hours same 3 small maps same 4 mission types with multiple part missions thrown in that didnt even have continuity thrown in.
Money was no problem at all after a few hours i was swimming in it just looking for next mech to buy, story line missions were same as the missions i had been doing nothing scripted for those missions just same old.
Lvl up bit bigger mechs few more bad guys with same old routine but much bigger pay out due to the huge increase in salvage, now literally drowning in money just looking for bigger mechs to buy.
No challenge no diversity just same old, have a bay full of Assaults, Heavies, mediums, dozen or more unused mechs in cold storage 70 mill in bank, didnt finish, got bored.

#17 lazorbeamz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 03:00 PM

probably only after DLC. But im enjoying the diff 15 missions PVE after beating the game.
MW 5 has things like double AC20 or quadruple AC10 with no ghost heat. The graphics, the music and the sounds are also great.

Edited by lazorbeamz, 31 December 2019 - 03:09 PM.

#18 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 31 December 2019 - 03:29 PM

At some point, yes.

I really enjoyed tinkering around with different builds trying to find what worked best for the AI, what worked best for me, and my self imposed ironman. I beat the campaign on my first playthrough, having never died (though several of my lancemates bit the dust)... that was actually a bit of an adrenaline rush knowing that to be killed would end my game entirely and that really altered the decision making process of what missions to take and with what mechs.

Personally, I think the game progressed too fast; I had a Grid Iron in my mech bay, and before long there was 5 Atlases and a King Crab. I prefer slower progression, getting really adjusted to new mechs in such a way that the next 'big upgrade' becomes quite the event rather than 'oh look, another Atlas for sale'.

If any big changes are made to the AI, game progression, or storyline I will certainly be back for another round. But, til then, there's other games with far more replay-ability (Stellaris, anyone?)

#19 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:30 AM

A friend in discord is restarting, I'll hotseat his AI too. It'll be good fun.

#20 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 01 January 2020 - 12:35 PM

time line (dates) happen too fast, already doing 2 campaigns I paused on my first, and started a second (like on day 3 after release) , just been on second, and year is already 3114, and I haven't finished yet, doing too much traveling/exploring looking mechs, don't doubt that 2/3rds of that time was accumulated to just traveling through space exploring and checking Markets at many different locations,
I load in the first campaign every now and then, but I still feel the time line passes way to fast, I think I'm 3040, and campaign is is still in Liao space, feels kinda soon for it to be 3040 to where I'm at in the Campaign progression.
I've made some bad choices, and need to grind for some C-bills to fix these mistakes, and that causes the years to pass even quicker.
If I had strictly stuck to the campaign missions alone, time line may be on par, but I wanted better mechs and pilots and need C-bills, and just doing campaign and high reward mission is not enough for my wants and needs. It's probably enough, but it's not enough for me.
I want'em all

I have been tempted to start a 3rd, but really would I gain anything more, naaw . . I'll just wait for the next DLC to start that 3rd

on a side note, was imagining, how easy to start over if there was a shared cold storage Posted Image

too easy . . too easy if there was, in a way glad there isn't a shared cold storage

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users