228 replies to this topic

#161 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:10 PM

I'm not sure about the exact number in the pilot exp bar. Just know that the downward arrow's value is really small compared to the upward arrow. So, you won't get bogged down by the penalty as long as you keep around the 200-250 MS per game. If you look at the Jarl's List, getting around 250MS is the average. You can get that by just shooting at enemies without dying instantly.

Also, keep in mind that the exp is affected by the other factors like shooting down missiles, staying in formation, getting assists, KMDDs, flanking, scouting, UAV detection, spotting, etc., So, in reality, as long as you don't die but manage to stay alive for at least 75% of the match, you will do pretty well.

#162 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:01 PM

It's not about Matchscore, but here's a breakdown on the various xp- and Cbill-rewards

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__6266075

#163 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 28 January 2020 - 05:45 AM

View PostBLOODWOLF333, on 27 January 2020 - 07:25 PM, said:

Our pilot skill rating going down for a stomp(in QP) is starting to annoy me. I know I know "whos always on the team everytime?" but, I don't see one dude being able to win the match for the whole team (3-4 cadets, 7 other players, maybe 1-2 have mics) that wants to split in two or think they can solo it. *shrugs* I just don't like being penalized for that.

I get it. When I was new to the game I felt the same as you about losing skill rating. However, it is actually a very helpful thing for you in that it allows you a bit more time to grind the lower tiers (get c-bills for mechs, skill up mechs and just get better). If you didn’t lose skill when you lost, you would advance to tier 1 super fast and have far less success as a pilot. If you keep at this game you will end up in tier 1 pretty much no matter what you do. Enjoy and take advantage of the time facing mostly the newest and worst of players to improve yourself and your mechs.

#164 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 06:24 AM

View PostBLOODWOLF333, on 27 January 2020 - 07:25 PM, said:

Our pilot skill rating going down for a stomp(in QP) is starting to annoy me. I know I know "whos always on the team everytime?" but, I don't see one dude being able to win the match for the whole team (3-4 cadets, 7 other players, maybe 1-2 have mics) that wants to split in two or think they can solo it. *shrugs* I just don't like being penalized for that.

Don't worry. It will be better in higher tiers. Try to be patient, don't worry to much with your loses. It's part of the game. If you get to worried, to frustrated, to salty and such, you will play worse. You have to find your own Zen when you are in the cockpit. For me MWO is very competitive game but also very rewarding after some time. Never easy. I'm going like from win 12:1 to lose 1:12 in the next match. Sometimes the same maps, almost the same players, almost the same teams. That's the QP charm. But I like it. That's what I call competition. Mistakes are mercilessly exploited by those who are more experienced in the game. Spectate the match when you are RIP. You may see some interesting builds, tactics, mistakes. That's also a good way to clear your head, take a brake between a matches.
About syncdrops. For me it's double-edged. Sometimes I'm syncdroping with my son and when he is in opposing team there is always a temptation to break formation and shoot him in the *** and it's not good for my team. When we play in the same team it's like a little different psychology kicks in. Too bad he's gone to play other multi game for a while. Miss him on the field...

Edited by Bistrorider, 28 January 2020 - 06:27 AM.

#165 n00biwan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSomerset, UK...

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:20 PM

Sorry, but currently sync dropping is ONLY a problem if people use being on opposing sides to do dumb stuff, that probably breaks the TOS anyway (ghosting, false intel, team damage, deliberate harming your team's chances of victory, etc).

It keeps units playing, since it's a way they can casually play together, it keeps duos and small groups interested, it's great for interactivity on twitch. It also probably happens a lot more than you realise since many people are in dying units, and they drop with other in game friends.

Anyway, I've seen plenty of occasions with 5+ of one unit in a match, don't know about you, but i shoot my friends harder than the rest when I see them. Sync drops don't bother me in the slightest, even if the game is lit up with [evill],[42] etc tags.

If you end up with 3/4 players on each team from the same (decent) unit, you'll probably have a close game, maybe some decent calls and tactics, more fun and more learning.

If they aren't a "top tier" unit, those unit members are probably just a selection of casuals, mechadads or newbies (and there's always that one guy that plays serious), ie: the same as everyone else, they just have the same tag.

Sync dropping is possibly, at a push, better for the game than group drops, since a group of 8 casual mates meeting a group of 8 top players will get minced and have no fun, stick 4 of each on each team and it's more balanced, and they're all still playing with friends.

Only IF there is a way to abuse sync dropping to get a high chance of being on the same team will I develop a problem with it as a way to play.

#166 Quandoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 220 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:45 PM

I cant see the difference between beginners and long time players, even playing in clans etc.
At the end they all rotate. I end up solo mostly because I'm sick of it - and I found out how to deal with that and still get my 600+ dmg.

#167 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 28 January 2020 - 06:56 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 27 January 2020 - 11:01 PM, said:

It's not about Matchscore, but here's a breakdown on the various xp- and Cbill-rewards

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__6266075

No, I get what you're saying and I agree. I just mentioned MS as a measure of average since it is calculated by all of those factors listed in that link you've provided.

#168 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:09 PM

View PostBLOODWOLF333, on 28 January 2020 - 07:42 PM, said:

Is there anything we can do if we bought too many skill points and want to convert them into GSP or anything?

No, you can't convert excess SP.

However, having a little excess SP on a mech does let you quickly change your skill build, so I guess it's alright for mechs that you want to experiment with different builds on.

#169 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:48 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 28 January 2020 - 06:56 PM, said:

No, I get what you're saying and I agree. I just mentioned MS as a measure of average since it is calculated by all of those factors listed in that link you've provided.

I have a somewhat incomplete breakdown of what action earns what matchscore. It was provided by Jman5 some while back and I always wanted to complete it and verify his findings. It's just that I can't put my head onto it these days.

#170 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:09 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 28 January 2020 - 10:48 PM, said:

I have a somewhat incomplete breakdown of what action earns what matchscore. It was provided by Jman5 some while back and I always wanted to complete it and verify his findings. It's just that I can't put my head onto it these days.

Can't love something that's dead. Posted Image

#171 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:57 AM

View Postn00biwan, on 28 January 2020 - 12:20 PM, said:

Sorry, but currently sync dropping is ONLY a problem if people use being on opposing sides to do dumb stuff, that probably breaks the TOS anyway (ghosting, false intel, team damage, deliberate harming your team's chances of victory, etc).
It keeps units playing, since it's a way they can casually play together, it keeps duos and small groups interested, it's great for interactivity on twitch. It also probably happens a lot more than you realise since many people are in dying units, and they drop with other in game friends.
Anyway, I've seen plenty of occasions with 5+ of one unit in a match, don't know about you, but i shoot my friends harder than the rest when I see them. Sync drops don't bother me in the slightest, even if the game is lit up with [evill],[42] etc tags.
If you end up with 3/4 players on each team from the same (decent) unit, you'll probably have a close game, maybe some decent calls and tactics, more fun and more learning.
If they aren't a "top tier" unit, those unit members are probably just a selection of casuals, mechadads or newbies (and there's always that one guy that plays serious), ie: the same as everyone else, they just have the same tag.
Sync dropping is possibly, at a push, better for the game than group drops, since a group of 8 casual mates meeting a group of 8 top players will get minced and have no fun, stick 4 of each on each team and it's more balanced, and they're all still playing with friends.
Only IF there is a way to abuse sync dropping to get a high chance of being on the same team will I develop a problem with it as a way to play.

I have nothing against syncdrop (desperate times call for desperate measures) and I try to play the best I can. I played in group launch few times in QP. It was miracle that I found some random group just by clicking LFG. But that was in summer. We were 12 random players and we met some drops with 12 players from one or two units. They've hacked us to pieces very quickly, so I know what you mean. Maybe it's little unfair but there is still many people here who play together for years. Well-integrated team always have advantage. Take 12 great players who don't know each other and play together for a first time and put them against well-integrated mediocre unit. Who has better chances here? I've seen this many times in amateur soccer. Same mechanism here. So you may say that group drops aren't for random players. Shoot friends harder. Yup, always. But sucha in-game rivalry sometimes may spoil the score. And then you can do some dumb and funny stuff, like "I wanna get you, brother you're going down with me". But it's still lovely as long as it's not breaking the rules. You wanna play serious but you also wanna have fun. Try some builds, tactics. And you can only do that by playing matches. That goes mostly for new players. Those who plays for years and have like 200, 300, 600 mechs are always more, let's say serious, than new players. They know the deal very well. And knowledge is power in MWO. I have a mechlab for a reason. I've seen many inspirational builds (and was borrowing some ideas:P) but I'm still experimenting on my own and it's not about being arrogant. Personally I don't understand people who starts with MWO and blindly goes even by the best optimized builds. IMO DAKKA Madcat will not help you much if you copy-paste the build and go play. If you don't do homework at mechlab, if you don't know the feeling of playing srm Archer on Polar Higlands, you're doing it wrong. I've seen some movies of best players here and they can do some great stuff even with crappy or hilarious builds. And that is something most impressive for me, and something I respect most. Recently I've seen Baradul movie with 6 light PPC Hunchback. I'm thinking: "Well, it's funny and I thought that light PPC is BS". But I didn't wanna go Hunchback or Rifleman for those. They are too bulky for me for sucha build. So I found other nice medium classic mech for light PPC build with hit gen -5% and some other good bonuses. So you can always modify something the way you want. Also I've noticed that some builds are good from the start, like without any skill points on tree. Others need some investment here and then they are starting to shine.

Edited by Bistrorider, 29 January 2020 - 04:58 AM.

#172 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,700 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:03 AM

View PostBLOODWOLF333, on 28 January 2020 - 05:34 PM, said:

I have PT of course but, I'd like to think I'm doing well. All the XP is really sucking up my c-bills now converting it all into XP but, not complaining.

Congrats to a good payout.

#173 n00biwan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSomerset, UK...

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:24 AM

A pug that gets organised can trounce a premade, happens all the time, even decent premades can get levelled by a pug on an off day or if that pug has a decent bunch of players and not less than half a plan.

#174 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,069 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:05 PM

View PostBLOODWOLF333, on 29 January 2020 - 05:55 PM, said:

So what is the point of units? What are they good for and why would I want to join one? All I play is QP and dabbled in FP for a little bit and never seen a way to deploy in a group so, what are they good for?

Back in the fun times you'd get into a unit for the fun of it. You could be all try hard uber competitive do-meta-or-kicked to just a bunch of guys wanting to have decent team work or just goof off with a lance of themed mechs like all urbie alphas with all hbk bravo lance. Then pgi kept making unwanted and dumb changes to the mode so that people just got tired of it and left. My unit was once in the 300 or so active members range but now there's around 20 of us. People also just moved on with life and other games.

Long tom being the most obvious and easiest mistake to point out but there is a very long list over time. I'm sure a quick search on yt about "community warfare" as it was original planed is still there. Pgi just couldn't deliver and what they did sucked by comparison.

#175 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:39 PM

View PostBLOODWOLF333, on 29 January 2020 - 06:47 PM, said:

I've been holding this in for a while since I'm new but, I've been seeing it.

Salt is the way. Salt is Life.

#176 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,700 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:48 PM

....I finally see what all the saltdogs have been talking about now. Why would I want to waste my premium time playing trail mechs (the current event)who dont gain mech xp? That is a waste of my money when I'm still trying to grind out the skill trees on the eight I already have.

Do you realize that you do not have to take a part in every single challenge?

If you do not like what the challenge is about (be it the rewards, challenge stipulations or anything else), you can simply ignore it.

That's what I am going to do - I am going to simply play with my fully skilled 'Mechs the way I like it. Simple.

#177 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:15 PM

Does it have to be Trial Mechs or do the challenges count if I have some of those variants?

#178 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:01 PM

It has to be the (C) variant for the challenges.

#179 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:04 AM

Oh, ok. As long as it is a (C) variant. I was wondering how could they track if I was using a Trial mech or not.

#180 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 January 2020 - 04:51 AM

....I finally see what all the saltdogs have been talking about now. Why would I want to waste my premium time playing trail mechs (the current event)who dont gain mech xp? That is a waste of my money when I'm still trying to grind out the skill trees on the eight I already have.
If you want to get the bolt-ons and the C-Bill rewards. If you're not that pressed for C-Bills you can just ignore the event (I probably will, getting solo kills in those undergunned ACH and MLX is painful).

Each department (sales, marketing, development, all of them) would rotate every week spending that whole week coming to work and playing the game. No if's and's or but's. And if work starts to become a drag and you dont enjoy playing your own product then maybe that would push them to fix it and pull them out of their lofty, isolated, ivory tower and make them see what players are saying. I've fallen into this same trap contributing to MegaMek and then modding Brutal Doom. You spend more time working on the game than actually playing and you end up not playing anymore and your isolated and blind to what actually happens in the game. You have to force people to play their own product, and if they don't like it then why would the community?
That's known as dogfooding, or "eating your own dog food". It's not an uncommon practice, BUT it's also not ideal.
As someone previously involved in the development and testing of an indie freeware game, I can tell you that playing a game from the point of knowing how it works "under the hood" changes the entire experience drastically - as does having to do it in the first place.

the customer is always right.
No, the customers as a whole may be but the customer as an individual ? Hell no.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users