#161 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:21 PM

View Postkillzone1, on 24 January 2020 - 01:37 PM, said:

The problem is it becomes a game of peek and poke

This is called trading. It's a best practice.

Even with a meta that is skewed more towards high DPS than high alpha it is still a best practice.

Consider learning why mitigating the amount of return fire you take is as important as delivering damage and how this is relevant to map control.

Edited by Prototelis, 24 January 2020 - 06:32 PM.

#162 BLOODWOLF333

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 110 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:15 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 24 January 2020 - 06:44 AM, said:

Here's my advice for earning money in this game:

1. Heroes, loyalty, and other cash boosting 'mechs are best to pilot for earning cash.

Yep, I have a champion and a hero for the Wolfhound, Griffin, Orion, and Atlas right now and those are the only 8 mechs Im working on mastering. Later will probably get just a hero clan mech for each weight class.

2. Take advantage of any premium time you earn through events. Play as much as you can while it's active, you CAN purchase it too, but I admit that at this stage of the game, it's kind of silly to do so. Those of us who have been loyal players, winning 'mech/booster packs from streamer give aways and the like probably have YEARS worth of premium time stockpiled, so I realize it's way too easy for us to say this, still, when you have it, USE it!

I have I think 48 days left of premium time from buying the bundles of the griffin, orion, and atlas.

3. NEVER.SELL.ANYTHING!!! Or, at the very least, NEVER.SELL.MECHS.OR.ENGINES, and maintain a stockpile of at least of 10 every other component. You sell things at 50% of their purchase value. Do a lot of 'mech configuration and you're spending a LOT of money VERY fast. When I joined 228 and started participating in competetive matches I probably burned through three quarters of a BILLION credits purchasing and outfitting upwards of a hundred different 'mechs (I wanted to make sure I could step in to any role if necessary, no matter how poorly I would perform in it Posted Image ). It would have easily been double that without my LARGE stockpile of engines and weapons.

I already sold the stock engines (except for the 300's since those can go on 75T and 100T mechs) to pay for the engine I wanted in my current mechs so, I might have screwed up there already but, Im ok on c-bills right now.

4. UAVs, 40k cbill investments in winning. Winning pays more.

5. Strikes, 40k cbill investments in winning. Winning pays more.

All my scouts (Wolfhounds and "Sparky") I use the UAV and coolshot with and usually always use the UAV unless someone else is doing that job pretty well in the match already and I don't have a useful spot to throw one up. Brawlers I will use the artillery strike for mobs and air strike if I see a line of mechs or if they are hiding behind terrain I'll put the smoke at the base where they cant see and let it walk over the hill onto them. (half the time I forget to use my strikes specially when under attack I forget I have them).

6. Shoot as many of the enemy as possible. 12 assists per game equals more money.

I have yet to pull that off, hitting every mech on the enemy team. I tend to get focused on a target or whoever is the biggest threat to my team at that moment. Will try this tonight.

7. ALWAYS PRESS "R" to target the enemy you're shooting at. Again, it results in higher cbill awards.

Always, seen it repeated to death on these forums and now it just annoys me when spectating and I see teammates who don't target enemies that they are shooting at. I will always lock-on(mouse2) and then target spotted (mouse3) as often as I can because I have seen that I am able to kinda manipulate/help direct the team's fire when I do that.

8. During events, ALWAYS.EQUIP.AMS, you're paid for every enemy missile shot down, and during events, ALL the potatoes come out with their missile 'mechs as apparently, having the computer doing their aiming for them is the ONLY way they're capable of completing it, and for those carrying AMS at least you're getting some monetary compensation for the inconvenience.

Yeah I've noticed these events always have one reward where part of the requirements are shooting down missiles. Otherwise I dont have any mechs that can carry more than one AMS so, I usually dont run it.

I started playing MechWarrior 2, GBL, and Mercenaries when I was I think 12 or 13 in the 90's, later found out it was a board game and had dad order me a few of the sets, read the novels all through high school, played MechWarrior on the SNES, got Mechwarrior 3 and Pirate's Moon(never beat them and still want to go back and replay), then Mechwarrior 4 Vengeance and I think the Black Knight Expansion(never beat MW4 either). Discovered MegaMek and MekHQ a few years ago and started to contribute for that and lived, breathed, and slept Battletech for a few years.
https://bg.battletec...topic=42533.270
https://bg.battletec...7249#msg1197249
https://bg.battletec...p?topic=59106.0
Got burnt out, moved onto modding Brutal Doom (which had mechs too).
Posted Image
And started MWO now that I finally bought a decent computer.

#163 killzone1

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:44 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 24 January 2020 - 02:21 PM, said:

This is called trading. It's a best practice.

Totally agree. But I just find it boring compared to the play style of the lower tiers.

#164 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:15 PM

The play style of lower tiers is "stand there and get **** on."

I know. I made an account specifically to test the two tier differential and exactly how difficult it is to down in PSR.

#165 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,792 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:15 AM

View PostBLOODWOLF333, on 24 January 2020 - 06:15 PM, said:

I have I think 48 days left of premium time from buying the bundles of the griffin, orion, and atlas.
Ouch. The old-style bundles aren't really a good investment. They tend to be quite expensive (other than light mechs) compared to the current-style mechpacks which are $15 for lights and $20 for anything else including assaults. The bundles also don't count towards the loyalty program

I have yet to pull that off, hitting every mech on the enemy team. I tend to get focused on a target or whoever is the biggest threat to my team at that moment. Will try this tonight.
Generally if you have a shot you can take, take it. It's great if you keep in mind getting towards the most dangerous target, but don't hold your fire just because you don't have a shot on that one.

Always, seen it repeated to death on these forums and now it just annoys me when spectating and I see teammates who don't target enemies that they are shooting at. I will always lock-on(mouse2) and then target spotted (mouse3) as often as I can because I have seen that I am able to kinda manipulate/help direct the team's fire when I do that.
If you see a group of enemy mechs early into the match, SPAM R. First lock - no matter how brief - gets you a Scouting bonus worth some match score and C-Bills.

Yeah I've noticed these events always have one reward where part of the requirements are shooting down missiles. Otherwise I dont have any mechs that can carry more than one AMS so, I usually dont run it.
Get a NVA-S, build an AMS Nova (6 ERuL, 6 SPL, 3xAMS) and go to town. Short range, but it's useful as a support boat and as a brawler when the match progresses to that stage.

View Postkillzone1, on 24 January 2020 - 06:44 PM, said:

Totally agree. But I just find it boring compared to the play style of the lower tiers.
What play style? PGI's VIP AI had more intelligence than I've seen in lower tiers on both sides combined.
Again, it's just a matter of picking when and where you engage. Keep yourself out of fire, let the traders do their job, then pounce on weakened or isolated enemies and earn your keep.

Edited by Horseman, 25 January 2020 - 04:16 AM.

#166 BLOODWOLF333

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 110 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:25 AM

Yeah the online store collections I guess are more efficient if you buy the most expensive one and bundles only save 50% but, thats still better than paying full price for the specific mechs I want. I didn't actually buy the Atlas bundle, just the Boar's Head and RS(C) when they were 50% off last month. Same with the Wolfhounds.

Posted Image

Edited by BLOODWOLF333, 25 January 2020 - 11:26 AM.

#167 killzone1

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:44 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 24 January 2020 - 08:15 PM, said:

The play style of lower tiers is "stand there and get **** on."

I know. I made an account specifically to test the two tier differential and exactly how difficult it is to down in PSR.

In Tier 5 yeah. But the biggest difference I noticed between 2 and 3 was in the builds. In Tier 2, if you pop out you get insta killed by lasers to the torso even if your in an assault mech due to the precision weaponry of the builds.

#168 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:27 PM

There isn't a real functional difference between tier 2 and 3.

There is a two tier differential, most of the games remaining population is tier 3+.

You start playing the majority of your games with Tier 1 opponents as soon as you hit 3. I've tested it multiple times, even at peak.

#169 BLOODWOLF333

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 110 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:45 PM

My stable so far:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#170 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:34 AM

Have you tried that Griffin with SRMs instead of MRMs?

#171 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,792 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:55 AM

Your math on MRM recycle times is off, Bloodwolf. All MRM launchers stream out their missiles over a 0.5s duration. I've tested it myself a while back, in fact.

Edited by Horseman, 26 January 2020 - 03:55 AM.

#172 killzone1

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 05:50 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 25 January 2020 - 07:27 PM, said:

There isn't a real functional difference between tier 2 and 3.

There is a two tier differential, most of the games remaining population is tier 3+.

You start playing the majority of your games with Tier 1 opponents as soon as you hit 3. I've tested it multiple times, even at peak.

That is true, but it depends on the time of day. I have noticed far more peek and poke oriented games with high damage surgical strikes once I hit T2. I have a second account that is T3 ( I'm sure it's luck of the draw too in terms of who you end up with in the matches), but out of the last 20 games on that account, there were not many. I'd say I notice a big difference in who ends up in my games between T2 and T3. Never any cadets in T2, occasionally a cadet on both sides in T3.

Edited by killzone1, 26 January 2020 - 05:51 AM.

#173 BLOODWOLF333

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 110 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 26 January 2020 - 11:23 AM

View PostHorseman, on 26 January 2020 - 03:55 AM, said:

Your math on MRM recycle times is off, Bloodwolf. All MRM launchers stream out their missiles over a 0.5s duration. I've tested it myself a while back, in fact.

Ok, where do I find that information for LRMs too? I know SRMs just fire all at once and didn't think about the duration for MRM and LRMs.

View Postmartian, on 26 January 2020 - 01:34 AM, said:

Have you tried that Griffin with SRMs instead of MRMs?

Well it's only got two hardpoints for missile weapons so at most I could only have two SRM6 (about 26 damage) I can have a higher alpha with the MRM40 so, I went with the 40.

#174 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 11:43 AM

View PostBLOODWOLF333, on 26 January 2020 - 11:23 AM, said:

Well it's only got two hardpoints for missile weapons so at most I could only have two SRM6 (about 26 damage) I can have a higher alpha with the MRM40 so, I went with the 40.

Sure, but SRMs fire instantly while MRMs fire in a stream. So with SRMs you can jump away, move your Mech or at least torso twist, while with MRMs you must wait until they all leave the launcher.

But of course, use what suits you best.

#175 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,792 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 January 2020 - 12:01 PM

View PostBLOODWOLF333, on 26 January 2020 - 11:23 AM, said:

Ok, where do I find that information for LRMs too? I know SRMs just fire all at once and didn't think about the duration for MRM and LRMs
http://static.mwomer.../list/full.json - numfiring, volleydelay, volleysize
IS LRMs fire all at once (excepting specific hardpoint issues which I believe have been addressed a while ago)
Clan LRMs fire in streams, each missile 0.05s apart, so LRM5 takes .20s, LRM10 takes .45s, LRM15 takes .7s and LRM20 takes .95s

#176 BLOODWOLF333

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 110 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 26 January 2020 - 12:16 PM

View PostHorseman, on 26 January 2020 - 12:01 PM, said:

http://static.mwomer.../list/full.json - numfiring, volleydelay, volleysize
IS LRMs fire all at once (excepting specific hardpoint issues which I believe have been addressed a while ago)
Clan LRMs fire in streams, each missile 0.05s apart, so LRM5 takes .20s, LRM10 takes .45s, LRM15 takes .7s and LRM20 takes .95s

Oh yeah thats right IS fire all at once. Except on my Atlases It will break up shooting two LRM20's into four volleys. I never questioned whether that was correct or not since that Atlas has small launchers on the 3D model made sense to me. But, thank you for that link I would have never found that and can update the duration for all the missile weapons now.

#177 BLOODWOLF333

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 110 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 26 January 2020 - 12:35 PM

The C-ATM3 has a volley delay of 0.025 while the other ATM's have a 0.05 delay. I wonder if that's intentional.

#178 BLOODWOLF333

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 110 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 26 January 2020 - 12:58 PM

And the UAC/5 (IS) having a volley delay of 0.5 while all other UAC's have a delay of 0.11. Kinda weird.

#179 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:04 PM

And the IS-LBX10 having a slower velocity than the 2, 5 and 20... I don't think people check these things.

#180 BLOODWOLF333

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 110 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:26 PM

On my "Skill Priorities" section for what trees to prioritize based on the build (scout, firesupport, brawler) am I correct on the order of what trees are more important or what should be tweaked?

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users