Can't See Map Before Dropping, Can't See Extract On Mission Start

29 replies to this topic

#1 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:34 PM

Can we fix these two things? Being able to plan ahead and bring the right lance is critical, yet our current options are dropping blind and hoping for the best, or planting a save and loading the mission twice if our first guess is way off.

Needless to say, it could have been better designed.

#2 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:52 PM

It is a "self-balancing feature", similar to HBS's Battletech.

The main difference is, once you've dropped into the mission, everything is shown immediately in Battletech, including the objectives and extraction zone (where applicable) whereas in MW5, the extraction zone is randomly placed AFTER you complete all of the objectives and the objectives themselves, in campaign missions, aren't revealed fully when you start the mission. They're given to you per checkpoint basis. Change only the last one and it'll be better. Then again, the campaign missions, too, are similar to other random missions and whatever the differences may be, are very minor.

#3 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:33 PM

I thought most of the info was in the negotiations screen, time of day, Bio,night/morning,day , and basically, there's a image of the planet, as the background to who you're getting the contract from.

I just glance at the background image and add Negotiation points, don't look at the rest any more , so I may be mistaken

or did I totally misunderstood the query, and did a spell check for no reason

#4 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:45 PM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 07 January 2020 - 10:33 PM, said:

or did I totally misunderstood the query, and did a spell check for no reason

Campaign missions aren't specified what type of mission it is whereas the regular ones are listed as either Raid, Defense, Demo, etc.,

What the OP is saying though is that he'd like to see the map i.e., the tactical map zoomed in, to check where the objectives are located as part of the briefing itself and not AFTER you've dropped with the lance.

#5 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:58 PM

Got'cha
yeah that would be cool to have

#6 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:06 AM

The missing overview is indeed strange. Also I was laughing when, during the campaign, you where standing at the holo table and Ryana said "Look at the map" and all you got was a washy blue something with some red boxes on it. What the F am I looking at there? Modern art?`Its definitly not a map nore was it helpfull.

On that note, I wish they would have made use of the interrior more, like projecting the starmap at the holotable or have the mission preplaning at the same table, showing the map to give you an idea what you will be faceing, etc.
Hell it would be cool and very practical if you could select your droppoints and extraction youself and mayeb give out rough pre-orders for your lancemates.

Like you could make a path for each of the lancemates in advance. Let your LRM boat move on the hill while the other mechs go directly to the base and so on. If your plan dosn't work out you can still order them directly during the battle via F1-4.

#7 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:58 AM

To make those holographic UI elements and make the NPCs seem like they're interacting with it requires quite a lot of knowledge in authoring materials and animating it. I don't think PGI has anyone who's capable of doing this. I mean, just look at the way we have to issue commands to our lance-mates. We need to use the Function keys instead of having a decent and logically faster radial menu.

#8 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:18 AM

@OP I would like to see longer missions with prep you speak of.
Camo effecting enemy accuracy would be a nice touch
Maybe with the Editor it possible, is it out yet?

#9 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:19 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 08 January 2020 - 02:58 AM, said:

To make those holographic UI elements and make the NPCs seem like they're interacting with it requires quite a lot of knowledge in authoring materials and animating it. I don't think PGI has anyone who's capable of doing this. I mean, just look at the way we have to issue commands to our lance-mates. We need to use the Function keys instead of having a decent and logically faster radial menu.

While on the animation front I guess you are right that PGI needs to learn a thing or two I think for planing you can also just project a flat map on the table and still get away with it.

For the radial menu...don't like those. Frankly I prefer the hotkeys as its way faster then opening a menu and then click on something. Hitting F1+F3 to get people to a place is just faster.

#10 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:20 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 08 January 2020 - 05:19 AM, said:

While on the animation front I guess you are right that PGI needs to learn a thing or two I think for planing you can also just project a flat map on the table and still get away with it.

For the radial menu...don't like those. Frankly I prefer the hotkeys as its way faster then opening a menu and then click on something. Hitting F1+F3 to get people to a place is just faster.

+1 especially if you are sending all three to different locations.

I can send them with the hot keys a lot faster.

#11 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:19 PM

Have you guys not played Crysis 1? Would it have been faster if the suit modes was set to F1 -> F3 instead of Middle Mouse to bring up the radial menu? Or even MWO... would it have been easier if Function keys were involved instead of pressing E and clicking on the options that appear?

#12 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:52 AM

For one click actions radials are okay. Here you would have to go through two radials or have a bigger radial to cover all combinations of commands you can give.

F1+F3 <-> E + Click all + Click all go there

#13 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:27 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 08 January 2020 - 07:19 PM, said:

Have you guys not played Crysis 1? Would it have been faster if the suit modes was set to F1 -> F3 instead of Middle Mouse to bring up the radial menu? Or even MWO... would it have been easier if Function keys were involved instead of pressing E and clicking on the options that appear?

No I have not. N/A. Yes.

~Leone.

#14 Five by Five

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 11:49 AM

On the procedural missions, we don't get the map ahead of time because it's not generated until after you accept the contract. Basically, the map is building in the background while you pick your mechs and pilots, if you ready up your lance too quickly, then you still have to wait a bit until you get the 3-2-1 countdown. At least that's the best supposition I can make to explain both the wait and the lack of map prior to drop.

#15 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:25 AM

While we're at it, let us use the battlegrid map to tell lancemates to go someplace.

#16 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:52 AM

View PostAsmosis, on 12 January 2020 - 12:25 AM, said:

While we're at it, let us use the battlegrid map to tell lancemates to go someplace.
Good idea! The current system is especially frustrating since Go To NAV Point only works if you're pointing to something within 999m range. It's so arbitrary.

#17 creek

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:59 PM

It would be great to get the intel before walking out of the dropship so you can plan accordingly. Bringing over the tactical map from MWO would be great as well. It sure would be nice to have the ability to direct lancemates to specific locations.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 02:05 PM

Part of the issue with that, Iffi, is the maps are partially generated. The question is 'when' is it generated? Is it when you've got it on a list to do? Is it generated when you accept it? Is it not generated until you launch? When it is generated determines whether or not you could be shown a quality map.

#19 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:42 PM

Considering how long it takes to load the mission, the overhead grid should be generated and visible by the time a load is at 100%. Granted, that is assuming PGI is intelligent.

#20 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:03 AM

The Maps generated before you launch, the accepting of the Contract give the Mapgenerator the Parameters for build the Map (Biome for example) or will you accept a Desert Planet Misison and drop in a Iceworld?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users