31 replies to this topic

#1 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:24 PM

Let's list them here along with the loadouts. You can include the usual suspects like the Gauss + PPC Nightstar and so on.

1. Battlemaster Hero

6 MPLs + 4 SRM 4+A (or regular SRM4s) + all the DHS that you can fit in. This thing is an excellent brawler and has great pinpoint damage potential thanks to its MPLs. It's cold enough to keep firing until an entire lance of mechs are destroyed and it can basically kill any mech in 3-shots or less. Did I mention that it runs at 64.8 kph as well?

2. Grasshopper 5P

Already comes equipped with DHS. Use 2 ERPPCs on it and stuff the rest with MLs or something. It basically destroys most tanks before they can even get a shot at you.

3. Thunderbolt Top Dog

1 LPL and the rest are MLs. Lots of them! Stuff as many DHS as you can muster and watch the enemies get face-melted as you run around constantly firing your weapons.

4. Stalker (any that can mount 4 missiles)

Insane brawler. 1 tier better than the Battlemaster Hero pure 'cause of the firepower. 4 SRM 6s + 6 MLs will basically wreck anything in a blink of an eye. Has enough tonnage to boat a lot of DHS and relatively AI friendly, too.

Note: -The 3 missile Stalker is an excellent mech for you since you can mount 3 LRM10s, 2 PPCs and some lasers with enough cooling to fire PPCs and LRMs to kill all the Tanks and VTOLs easily and then focus on the mechs. Change PPCs to ERLL if required.

5. Awesome 9M

3 ERPPC, some LRM5s for indirect-fire and you have a nice AI mech. Runs at 64 kph, too.

6. Warhammer Black Widow

4 AC2, 4-5t of ammo and the rest are MLs. Let the dakka begin!

7. King Crab

2 Gauss + 1 ERPPC for the headshots.

8. King Crab Kaiju

4 PPC + LBx10 solid slug is a great serial killer. It can basically headshot or just brute force the mechs. It will get hot if you constantly fire all the PPCs together all the time. Left and Right arm weapon groups and thumb button on the mouse for the LBx will solve the problem.

9. Catapult Jester

2 ERLL for long-range vehicle hunting and 2 MPLs + 2 SMLs along with the ERLL for quickly putting those pesky fast Light and Medium mechs in the ground.

10. Marauder Bounty Hunter II

2 ERPPC + Gauss for the headshots. Never underestimate how quickly this thing can kill assaults. Amplify the damage with 3 MLs and you can alpha strike most fast mechs to death. Runs pretty cool as well if you have DHS.

11. Kintaro (any with 4 missile hardpoints)

Bring this mech to any Warzone or Defense missions and watch it launch SRMs up the large metal butts of the enemies. Just bring 2 SRM6s + 2 SRM4s, lots of ammo and DHS.

12. Flea

Yes! A great weapons' platform that can fill the lance when working under a strict constraint and want to bring Heavies and Assaults. The Flea deals enough damage and remains unharmed thanks to not drawing aggro away from your heavy hitters. It is a good mech to train low-skilled AI lance-mates. Some Flamers + MGs will do or put MLs if you prefer.

13. Cataphract Ilya Muromets

3 UAC5s + 2 MLs, lots of ammo and lower the volume 'cause it's going to get LOUD!

14. Catapult Hero Butter Bee

Decent brawler and runs surprisingly cool if you bring SRM4s instead of 6s.

15. Hunchback Grid Iron

If you see it, buy it! Use it! Love it! Gauss + 2 MLs + LRM10st is an excellent early mech to deal with Raid missions that has a lot of vehicles. Also, it's a surprisingly good AI mech.

#2 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:00 PM

17. ShadowHawk -2D

Triple srm 2s and a uac 5 makes for a great vehicle destroyer and the quick refire rate still puts out the damage against mechs. It was a solid workhorse even upto the end of the campaign for me. Due to leaving the lasers outta the arms this thing can take a beating and is still quicker and cheaper to repair compared to larger mechs.

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 14 January 2020 - 11:01 PM.

#3 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:46 AM

Agreed! Grid Iron is awesome and belongs on the list. I was super-fortunate that it was the first hero mech I encountered and relatively early in the game.

I found Jester worked much better with 4xSPL; maybe I just got out of sorts with the different cooldown times; but I found 4xSPL wrecked anything/everything that got close, from Commandos to Marauders, without needing to upgrade to MPLs. I tended toward LLs for the quicker shots as I did Warzone almost exclusively on my playthrough.

My first playthrough went Centurion -> Grid Iron -> Protector -> Stalker -> Jester -> King Crab -> Nightstar = end... and they're almost all on your list!

Hm... anyone else think the Protector in its Guass/PPC 2xML config is any good? Posted Image

#4 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:24 AM

View PostFlyby215, on 15 January 2020 - 01:46 AM, said:

Hm... anyone else think the Protector in its Guass/PPC 2xML config is any good? Posted Image

You can even put a LRM/SRM in there with those weapons and do well in it. But it isn't exceptional, imo. I had that in my first playthrough and it was serviceable. I much rather move to an 80-tonner than use the Protector and its repair costs.

#5 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:30 AM

Surprised you didn't put the Stalker 3F smack dab at number one. The thing is a monster. Nothing mounts more firepower than it in the game.

I've noticed a distinct lack of Maulers too. Not interested in twin Solid Slug LB10s + two SRM6s + four Medium Lasers? There's also the four AC2 setup to play with.

Atlas Boar's Head is great if only because of the huge engine to back up 100 tons of armor. 6 MPL in the arms, Solid Slug LB10 in the torso and whatever missile you prefer.

#6 iwbs

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:49 AM

Surprised not seeing Atlas AS7-K here. 2 PPC + Gauss + 2 MLaser + LRM20ST/ART + AMS, put as many DHS as you can. It is the best along with Annihilator

#7 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:40 AM

Rifleman - Legend Killer. if you can get a hold of one in early to mid game you got a killer machine right there. 2 LBX-10's and 4 medium lasers makes it a deadly puncher that can keep on hitting. Only drawback is putting the big guns inside of huge arms that easily take damage, but for the low drop cost of 60 tons it doesn't get much better than this!

Black Knight - Partisan. Versatile mech. Can become a mini Awesome-9M if you have some extra DHS's to spare. Or put 6 MPL on there with a UAC/5 for something more brawly. Lots of choices here.

#8 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:53 AM

the mech that takes top spot would be the Kintaro Golden Boy, for the weight and fire power ration, it's the best,
same could be said about the Raven Hero

before Patch#1 I could find the Nightstar in the Market, I had that one early, range and mid-range, lots of armor

Stalker 3F, hands down, most fire power you can bring, and also good Armor

Highlander Heavy Metal, my AI can use it better then I, much better, good armor and fire power

I would use the Atlas -D over the Boars head, for any mid to long range use, but the BH, is very nice up close, but that D brings more fire power over all, can't knock that BH really

the Catapult Bumble bee, is basically a baby Stalker 3F, with JJ's, besides the JJ's, only difference is armor and 2 large energy slots, going from a BB to 3F, no change on how to pilot

there were some mechs I just didn't bother, they're low firepower for their weight just didn't look right, but that's not saying they were bad, I'm just saying I didn't care for what I saw, and didn't want to waste time checking them out

for example, I wanted the Cyclops S, searched and search, found it, and guess I was expecting more out of it, Still good, just didn't fit well for me, it just didn't perform as well as I thought it would, same with the Kingcrab Kaiju, bought it because it was a hero, didn't expect much from it, but it did much better then expected

I liked the Mauler 1R, i Used it to skill up my AI's skills, has decent armor and good firepower, but not he best 90 tonner ,

Early the Orion Protector was/is great for the AI that wingman's you, tho later, when your wanting the 390 tons, the Highlander HM takes that spot

for me the Kintaro GB takes top spot,

but really depending on situation, there are others I would place at the top

#9 Drenzul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:45 PM

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

This might help you.

Made it up not long after launch, not sure if anything has changed since then.

The % dead-weight column is particularly useful, quite a lot of the mechs are just
junk because basically you can't use most of the tonnage for anything useful.

Free T is the amount of tonnage free with zero armour equipped.

#10 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:46 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 14 January 2020 - 10:24 PM, said:

4. Stalker (any that can mount 4 missiles)

Insane brawler. 1 tier better than the Battlemaster Hero pure 'cause of the firepower. 4 SRM 6s + 6 MLs will basically wreck anything in a blink of an eye. Has enough tonnage to boat a lot of DHS and relatively AI friendly, too.

I have been avoiding letting the AI use SRMs. They really seem to wreck each other with them more often than not. Just me?

#11 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:01 PM

View PostGrey Ghost, on 15 January 2020 - 02:46 PM, said:

I have been avoiding letting the AI use SRMs. They really seem to wreck each other with them more often than not. Just me?

Not really. The main thing is to individually tell them to hold position. Early on, I wasn't doing this. I was mainly telling them to focus fire and they were all attacking the same target, even if it meant shooting through their own teammates Posted Image or ignoring what was shooting them and they'd lose arms and weapon systems.

Telling them to hold position, especially individually will allow them to pick and choose their own targets while you quickly dispatch the pesky enemies. If you have an AI lance-mate that has long-rage weaponry, target VTOLs and tell only that AI to attack your target. Works wonders. Ever since I've started doing that, like, after 60% of my first playthrough, my AI lance-mates have been pretty decent.

#12 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:59 PM

Great list and good builds overall, frag. The cool thing about this game is how it has managed to make mixed builds to meta builds totally viable. In no way would I bring the builds that I use in this game into MWO. For example I run my Stalker-4N with 2 ppcs in on the torsos and 3 lrm 10s with a tag. I like that I have both a brawler stalker and a lrm/ppc stalker.

View PostFlyby215, on 15 January 2020 - 01:46 AM, said:

I ended up swapping out the gauss for a burst-fire 10. Overall not super-strong offensively , but the mech was a staple for a long-time through my play through as it's fairly durable and serves as a decent tank that has decent upfront damage.

#13 Lord Sevenous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 360 posts
  • LocationGermany, Münster (North Rhine-Westphalia)

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:30 PM

The Cicada X5 with 4med and 2 srm4 and the Jenner Oxide with 4 srm4 are perfect mechs in the beginning....

#14 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:35 PM

View PostLord Sevenous, on 15 January 2020 - 09:30 PM, said:

The Cicada X5 with 4med and 2 srm4 and the Jenner Oxide with 4 srm4 are perfect mechs in the beginning....

Have you ever found those reliably in the market though? I came across the Oxide when I was well into doing missions that had over 300t requirements. I bought it only to satisfy my collector's needs. I have never found the X5.

#15 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:42 AM

SRMs or slow mechs? I think you are doing wrong.

The late game is all about long range weapons. Gauss + ER PPCs (and an eventual LRM) for the lancemates.

I consider the Cyclops hero the best mech for the player and the Atlas K and Nightstar the optimal for the lancemates.

#16 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 16 January 2020 - 01:14 AM

Also the Mauler - 1P since it comes with Ferro.
Allows for a solid 4 AC2 / 2 PPC build with full armor, plenty of ammo and DHS. The AI does fantastic with that.

#17 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 16 January 2020 - 02:17 AM

View PostOdanan, on 16 January 2020 - 12:42 AM, said:

SRMs or slow mechs? I think you are doing wrong.

Nope. SRMs are king especially in Warzone and Defense contracts. You can try headshotting enemies with Gauss + PPC but SRMs will simply destroy anything even when you're not accurate. If you have SRM6s with Artemis, it is like IDKFA and IDDQD combined.

What matters is how you use your AI lance-mates.

View PostJackal Noble, on 16 January 2020 - 01:14 AM, said:

Also the Mauler - 1P since it comes with Ferro.
Allows for a solid 4 AC2 / 2 PPC build with full armor, plenty of ammo and DHS. The AI does fantastic with that.

I haven't come across this particular mech yet. Posted Image

But yeah, I agree with you. Mauler dakka is great, although I went with ERLL in the demo.

#18 cszolee79

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 55 posts
  • LocationBudapest

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:08 AM

Cyclops Sleipnir - my preferred player mech with 2x AC20 (not burst), 3x ML, 1x LRM10-ST-ART. That's more or less 70 pinpoint damage every 4 seconds. Kills an Atlas under 20 seconds. Or 2x Gauss, 3x ML, 1x SRM4-ART for long range, but then damage output suffers greatly.

Marauder 5D is great. 2x PPC, 2x ML, 1x LL and SRM4, and even has jump jets. AI does pretty well with it.
Banshee La Malinche, 2x PPC, LRM15 or 20, 1x ML, LB10X, and for fun, I added a TAG to the small energy slot. Really nice and fast as well.
Awesome 9M - 3x normal PPCs (not ER), and 2x SRM4. Excellent.
Black Knight - 3x LL, 4x ML. Very solid AI mech.
Cataphract IM - 3x AC5, 2x ML. Great support mech with pinpoint damage.
Atlas K - PPC, MPL, Gauss and LRM20. Not bad but very slow. AMS is mostly useless.

I found that ERPPCs (or ER Large Lasers) are not really useful in this game for AI, because they can't hit anything beyond 700-800m. And they don't have problems with lower projectile speed.

#19 Five by Five

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:34 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 15 January 2020 - 07:01 PM, said:

... The main thing is to individually tell them to hold position. ...

Telling them to hold position, especially individually will allow them to pick and choose their own targets while you quickly dispatch the pesky enemies. If you have an AI lance-mate that has long-rage weaponry, target VTOLs and tell only that AI to attack your target. ...

This gives me an idea for a new AI command I'd like 'Target Class' or 'Prioritize Class'. Not sure how to implement it . . . In my play through, I often did it by using the support mech myself.

#20 Lord Sevenous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 360 posts
  • LocationGermany, Münster (North Rhine-Westphalia)

Posted 16 January 2020 - 01:16 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 15 January 2020 - 09:35 PM, said:

Have you ever found those reliably in the market though? I came across the Oxide when I was well into doing missions that had over 300t requirements. I bought it only to satisfy my collector's needs. I have never found the X5.

Oxide was the first Hero I`ve found.
X5`s..... I own 2 and have found so many that now the Hero Icon on Planets makes me think: "I hope it`s not another X5"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users