155 replies to this topic

#121 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:17 AM

View PostBistrorider, on 02 February 2020 - 10:05 AM, said:

How about some players contest for a challenge? Create a topic (maybe only with propositions? no chit-chat, cause they might be too much spamming in that topic). PGI staff will choose the best and most coherent challenge proposed and then we gonna play it. Or best 3 (first, second and third place). Players can express their opinion about this or that proposition by "like this post" click to give you some clue about what they like. Or other option. Challenge post with most likes wins. Or we can merge it. PGI will choose one challenge. Players will choose one too. Prizes are obvious. Some mech, MC's etc.

There is the entire section for such ideas: https://mwomercs.com...nt-suggestions/

PGI created this section years ago ... and promptly forgot about it.

#122 Bolo Atari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 259 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 02 February 2020 - 01:31 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 30 January 2020 - 11:17 AM, said:

My Flawed Logic:
  • The Trial Mechs had recently changed
  • I needed to create an event
  • I have had positive feedback in the past about players enjoying using Mechs and or Weapons that they hadn't otherwise
  • Events where I required using weapons players suggested i used weapons equipped on trial mechs so players wouldn't have to purchase them,
  • the possibility of new/or old players trying more or different chassis
  • Changing up the events to keep them from all being the same
  • Goes with the Champion Sale.

Btw, there is nothing flawed here man.

#youdonegood

#123 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 February 2020 - 08:41 PM

So as someone who tries to play to the lore to keep the game fun and interesting, I cringe every time someone calls a trial 'mech "stock". Believe it or not, Stock 'mechs are often worse. At least on the Inner Sphere side. :)

That said, some stock loadouts are better than the trial 'mechs, especially on the Clan side. The use of DHS and Endo Steel make most IS trial mechs better by default.

I applaud the concept of breaking people out of their comfort zone. The process of leveling 'mechs in their stock configuration forces me to learn to play to the strengths of the 'mech, and not change the 'mech to mirror my strengths. That said, I also applaud getting rid of the solo kill requirement. Doing that in most light 'mechs causes some of the worst squirreling this game ever sees, ever.

Honestly, I just love seeing that teal-colored text anywhere other than the very first post. That someone at PGI cares enough to read AND respond, despite the salt and frustration. I don't blame you for the "Try-hard" remark. Those are some of the highest ranking players this game has to offer, but they're also players who equate "fun" and "winning", as though you can't have one without the other. They also equate "meta" and "winning", with the same conclusion. Playing a crap build, such as old, obsolete meta, or an IS stock 'mech, forces the player to adapt to the mech, and learn something new. The LAST thing we want is for all of the trial 'mechs to have the exact same loadout. (The IS LPL builds are already very close).

I'd love to see a different form of trial system installed, that makes new players feel like they're part of the story: New players should have to pick a faction, and then they're "enlisted" in that faction's military. They pilot what that faction makes available (stock lore mechs, but ALL the stock mechs that are associated with that faction, including DHS and endo builds), and as they save up CBills, they can buy their own off the gov't in their region. Not having that (C) on the end of their ride will help them blend in, and hide the easy-kill for at least a few minutes, in cases where they have an XL engine that EVERYONE knows about. I know that's hard to make friendly to two-button mice, but I still think it's worth investigating.

The point is not to drive everyone into the same cookie-cutter meta, but to show everyone how to have the most fun, and allow them to do so.

And because I know I'm going to get jumped on about the stock 'mechs, I've done top damage with the most kills in stock 'mechs. It all depends which one.

#124 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:41 PM

Oh, to the point that "whoever has the most trial 'mechs is guaranteed to lose", I've just played two matches where that wasn't the case (out of two that I'm playing, tonight). First match, my team won with 3 trial 'mechs to zero on the other team. Second match, mine lost with three trial 'mechs to six on the other team. (Well... technically five to two. I owned mine, and the Hunchback on the other team was a Light PPC build, so definitely not the trial 'mech). I'll add pictures to this post as soon as I can figure out how.

1st match: we stuck together and the enemies had a DC right during the fighting. 2nd match, we spread out to cap and the enemy stuck together. It's more about teamwork than loadout.

Edited by C337Skymaster, 02 February 2020 - 09:42 PM.

#125 Clay Endfield

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 172 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 10:10 PM

Can we do this type event again, like never?

Taking unskilled mechs out in the higher ranks is kinda... crippling. Taking sub-optimal builds from many metas ago is even less conducive to a good time. Driving players to desperation for a quick kill, so that half the team commits suicide by charging right into an enemy firing line with aforementioned crappy mechs makes the game so much less enjoyable.

I’m not opposed to a Trial Mech Event/Challenge. I actually enjoyed piloting the Phoenix Hawk and Jaegermech. But could the challenge incentivize team play, instead of suicides? Maybe “Achieve a Victory in Y Trial Mech”, instead of “earn a Kill/KMDD in Y Trial Mech”?

Seriously, I’m a Tier 2 Pilot with a strong aversion to piloting lights, but I just played teammate to someone even more inept at light piloting than me. Poor dude was so desperate for a kill in the Spider that he parked right in front of King Crab and tried grinding through the KGC’s CT with MGs. It was over in a matter of seconds, and that Spider pilot wasn’t the one leaving the match with a kill.

I just wish these events would inspire more teamwork and less mass stupidity.

#126 CrustyMech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 148 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 February 2020 - 12:03 AM

Just a quick shout out to PGI, the kills/KMDD did not register for me on a match, sent in a ticket and had it resolved promptly.

In the 5-6 years on this game I must say the customer service has been well above average for a FTP game - and I have played and supported a bunch,

Thank you Patience, good job Posted Image

#127 DeadWeight18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Silent Killer
  • The Silent Killer
  • 263 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg

Posted 03 February 2020 - 12:48 AM

I actually was surprised how well this event went for me after the changes Matt did. Though some champion configurations were a challenge. I even bought a Champion from the events loot to honour that. Thank you PGI.

#128 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:13 AM

View Postmartian, on 02 February 2020 - 11:17 AM, said:

There is the entire section for such ideas: https://mwomercs.com...nt-suggestions/

PGI created this section years ago ... and promptly forgot about it.

Very true. But community gather contest is something little different.

#129 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:42 AM

I have seen Matt regularly take ideas from that subforum for his events during the past years.

#130 Ruediger Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 513 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 09:32 AM

View PostQuandoo, on 02 February 2020 - 10:17 AM, said:

It needs to be something you work on for days, on a single task, which at the end will make you a better player.
Like 1200 dmg with assault, 800 with heavy/medium, 600 with light in one QP game without using LRM.

Nothing where you have to rush around to kill steal to get events done.

I liked your first idea, 600, 800, 1.000, 1.200 damage in a QP. I would even say 1.400 or 1.600 damage in a single QP game and a special price like a badge.

View PostClay Endfield, on 02 February 2020 - 10:10 PM, said:

Poor dude was so desperate for a kill in the Spider that he parked right in front of King Crab and tried grinding through the KGC’s CT with MGs. It was over in a matter of seconds, and that Spider pilot wasn’t the one leaving the match with a kill.

I just wish these events would inspire more teamwork and less mass stupidity.

Don´t blame Matt for stupid people doing stupid things.
And if he managed to open the CT and the King Crab got killed by someone else, he might have gotten the KMDD. So maybe he wasn´t so stupid after all. The Spider was a pain in this event. I don´t even want to imagine a MWO where 1xERLL and 4 MGs with 1t of ammo are in any way near meta or even "a good mech".

#131 Clay Endfield

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 172 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 11:58 AM

View PostWishmast3r, on 03 February 2020 - 09:32 AM, said:

I liked your first idea, 600, 800, 1.000, 1.200 damage in a QP. I would even say 1.400 or 1.600 damage in a single QP game and a special price like a badge.

And if he managed to open the CT and the King Crab got killed by someone else, he might have gotten the KMDD. So maybe he wasn´t so stupid after all. The Spider was a pain in this event. I don´t even want to imagine a MWO where 1xERLL and 4 MGs with 1t of ammo are in any way near meta or even "a good mech".

#132 Bolo Atari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 259 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:35 PM

View PostWishmast3r, on 03 February 2020 - 09:32 AM, said:

Boomshakalaka.

Seriously, that Spider pilot is not indicative of the overall community and clearly not playing the game as intended.

You hope for an early DC and run to the back line for an easy KMDD :P

Otherwise, shush and shoot ^_^

#133 SPNKRGrenth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 184 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 10:35 PM

Honestly, trial mechs just need to be updated to take current tech and balance into account. The trial Highlander for example. Both UAC5s and LPLs ran cooler back when when it was put together, especially the UAC5s. If it was updated to run a light engine and more double heat sinks, it would be much more usable, without being flat out min-maxed. Half of them are still decent and just need minor tweaks to be more newbie friendly. While some of the other trial builds are painful with how old they are.

Trials and champions don't need mega meta builds, just optimized with current tech and balance to be decently effective. Stuff like MRMs and light engines being used for some of the IS heavy and assault mechs for example.

#134 Reverend Flashback

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 04:01 AM

The IS side of the event was decent until I hit the panther.
It's terrible.

Edited by Reverend Flashback, 04 February 2020 - 04:01 AM.

#135 Ruediger Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 513 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:57 AM

Solaris is dead ...
Wanted to play some Solaris games yesterday. Ran into the same 5 people in the first three divisions. After a few games, where they lost, i was alone. Some of the divisions only have 2 or 3 people in the top 10 list.
So next event will be Solaris i guess, to fill those lists.

#136 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:00 AM

View PostWishmast3r, on 04 February 2020 - 08:57 AM, said:

Solaris is dead ...
Wanted to play some Solaris games yesterday. Ran into the same 5 people in the first three divisions. After a few games, where they lost, i was alone. Some of the divisions only have 2 or 3 people in the top 10 list.
We had a seasonal rollover about a week ago, that's to be expected.

So next event will be Solaris i guess, to fill those lists.
Yeah, the season kick-off event should have started this weekend (going by previous scheduling)

#137 Ruediger Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 513 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:37 AM

View PostHorseman, on 04 February 2020 - 09:00 AM, said:

We had a seasonal rollover about a week ago, that's to be expected.

That´s not to be expected (okay if you know MWO then yes), but for a game that changed it´s name and logo to Solaris7/S7, that´s just sad.
It was clear from season 1 that Solaris wasn´t the big mode everybody expected it to be. And yet PGI never ever even tried to improve Solaris in any way to attract more players.

#138 GangstaRapGuru

Rookie

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:58 PM

I finished all the inner sphere requirements, got my kmdd for the spider, yet, I don't have the spider kmdd on "the full set".

#139 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:55 PM

View PostWishmast3r, on 04 February 2020 - 11:37 AM, said:

That´s not to be expected (okay if you know MWO then yes), but for a game that changed it´s name and logo to Solaris7/S7, that´s just sad.
It was clear from season 1 that Solaris wasn´t the big mode everybody expected it to be. And yet PGI never ever even tried to improve Solaris in any way to attract more players.

The thing everyone wanted was free-for-all, but for some reason PGI can't/won't provide that, and without that appeal, everyone sorta lost interest.

#140 Rhaezor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 122 posts
  • LocationPT

Posted 04 February 2020 - 05:17 PM

wow I lost a lot of drama in this topic. The event looks great to me. Sure i decided not to do it, but its a great idea and you should give Matt some credit... and leave him to work on those RLY hard to make Steam cards xD
Anyway, dont take things personally Matt.

ps. talking about ideas, why not CTF with lights

Edited by Rhaezor, 04 February 2020 - 05:19 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users