Trial Mech Challenges Event And Sale

155 replies to this topic

#81 hypographia

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:38 PM

Anyone else running into this? I completed all the IS events, but the final one isn't registering the light accomplishments?

Posted Image

#82 D U N E

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:02 PM

The event was changed after you got the kill, just replay the spider and get another kill.

Edited by D U N E, 30 January 2020 - 08:03 PM.

#83 -Winter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:28 PM

View PostTheCallandor, on 30 January 2020 - 07:36 PM, said:

Yes but do not have to score 1 dmg with a Lg Plus laser with a Warhawk?

No any IS mech counts. You'll get it while going for the highlander and battlemaster trails anyway.

#84 UnknownAlt

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:38 PM

View Posthypographia, on 30 January 2020 - 07:38 PM, said:

Anyone else running into this? I completed all the IS events, but the final one isn't registering the light accomplishments?

if you didn't get a solo kill, before the change, your previous Kill/KMDD will not forward or count, so you need to get that KMDD or Kill to count after the change

#85 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 12:32 AM

Little curiosity. I played few matches yesterday but not with trials yet. Today I'm checking the challenge and have a progress with damage with some weapons I used yesterday in my own mechs. Don't know how to say it… Participant who is not participating? Posted Image Geez I have to rethink my life or something.

Edited by Bistrorider, 31 January 2020 - 12:33 AM.

#86 Gannycus

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 01:56 AM

View PostBistrorider, on 31 January 2020 - 12:32 AM, said:

Little curiosity. I played few matches yesterday but not with trials yet. Today I'm checking the challenge and have a progress with damage with some weapons I used yesterday in my own mechs. Don't know how to say it… Participant who is not participating? Posted Image Geez I have to rethink my life or something.

Weapon progress is not bound with the mech you use to achieve it.

#87 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 31 January 2020 - 02:40 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 30 January 2020 - 09:57 AM, said:

I really don't understand why after all this time the trial mechs are as bad as they are though. These are meant to introduce new players to the game who can't afford their own mechs yet, so ffs make them good mechs, if not skilled out at least give them proper loadouts and armor allocation. You're just hurting the new player experience because they not only have to overcome their lack of skill, but also you forcing them into using bad loadouts
The trials are bad because the vast majority of them have been designed for metas that no longer exist.

Edited by Horseman, 31 January 2020 - 02:40 AM.

#88 Bolo Atari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 259 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 31 January 2020 - 03:16 AM

View PostHorseman, on 31 January 2020 - 02:40 AM, said:

The trials are bad because the vast majority of them have been designed for metas that no longer exist.

PGI designed Mech loadouts based on game metas figured out by players?

#89 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 03:51 AM

View PostBolo Atari, on 31 January 2020 - 03:16 AM, said:

PGI designed Mech loadouts based on game metas figured out by players?

Yes. Some of those Trial builds date to 2013.

#90 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 31 January 2020 - 05:19 AM

View PostMatt Newman, on 30 January 2020 - 09:51 AM, said:

Ok so I really regret Saying Try hards, Sorry not my best form.

I am listening to the feedback and I do want to make the events as fun as possible for everyone.
I got a well thought out DM and have realized that I should not have used Solo Kill as a Key metric for each of those mechs.
I did try to keep the requirements reasonable and give ample time.
Unfortunately the issue with Trials load outs (champion mechs) won't be changing.
I will do my best to not repeat this type of event in the future.

Why? Try hards should be put in their place since they give everyone a sour taste for the community. I'd advise not listening to them since the devs should be prioritizing on what is fun. If the event doesn't fit their try hard comfort zone, then they don't have to play. I'm having a great time with this event since it's a change up of something new in MW:O. I like trial mechs being an event challenge because it explores new possibilities for mechs that I wouldn't consider fielding. I thought I'd absolutely hate the spider mech in the challenge, but now I'm looking at it from a different view now after getting 2 kills with just the trial loadout.

I will say though that some trial loadouts for the event are really bad though. One example is the Enforcer since it's running an XL and is extremely fragile. I got very lucky after 7 matches of constantly getting critted with my CT and side torsos. I honestly think you should do more trial mech events in the future, but be more selective with loadouts that a larger variety of people will enjoy.

#91 Kodan Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 375 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 31 January 2020 - 07:35 AM

As a bit of a compromise on the trial mechs it would be cool if you listed the mech and not the variant so if we have a Shadow Cat we could use that instead of it needing to be a very specific Shadow Cat. This still allows new players to participate, but for those of us with skilled mechs we could use those. You could still keep the weapon damage component and if our build didn't have that we'd need to use another mech or use the trial version with the proper weapon. I have a variant of most of the mechs in this challenge but none that are the exact one needed.

#92 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 08:00 AM

View PostMumuharra, on 30 January 2020 - 02:38 PM, said:

I struggled too with the spider but suddenly got 3 kills in one game.
but still struggle with the damn Panther.

For the Spider I managed to duel a solo mech on my second try, and had just enough ammo to win it.

The Panther can only slowly shoot 4 times for 80 damage before reaching 100% heat, so after failing multiple times to get the most damage done on anything, I held back and went hunting for a Kill Steal instead.

View PostTheCallandor, on 30 January 2020 - 07:36 PM, said:

Yes but do not have to score 1 dmg with a Lg Plus laser with a Warhawk?

The damage for this event can be done in any mech, even if the mech is not part of the event.

That means as soon as you have the KKMD for a trial mech, you can switch to another mech to finish getting the damage done.

Because the "Large Pulse Laser" is an IS weapon, that damage must be done with an IS mech.

#93 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 325 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 31 January 2020 - 09:47 AM

Now that the event is just based on getting a single kill in each trial mech, and you can satisfy weapon damage requirements with *any* mech if those objectives aren't completed with the one kill for some reason, it's easy and (dare I say) enjoyable.

No big deal. The huge amounts of trial mechs out there is just a little event madness. It's fun, and the c-bill bonuses are huge!

Definitely changes things up. I did my match with the trial ACH on Polar Conquest yesterday, and late game when I was running for a cap point, I was engaged by someone running the trial panther who seemed very confused why he wasn't hurting me point blank with his PPC's. He learned something, lol.

Removing the solo kill requirement changed this to be a pretty easy event with a great payout. Some of us Tier 1's are still hurting for c-bills, haha. Enjoy the chaos. It won't last forever.

Edit:
I'd also say that even though these are 'old meta', they still run just fine for the most part. I haven't messed with the heavies or assaults yet, but the lights and mediums are alright. I was dreading taking out that single ERLL spider, but I had a good match with it and was done. Haven't secured a kill with the panther yet, but I will. That enforcer was a lot of fun. There seems to be a lot of gauss/laser vomit in the bigger ones. You can definitely do decent damage with those if you're not reckless. The builds will do. Okay, actually, the Mist Lynx was awful, lol, but I got my kill and then some.

Edited by Renzor the Red, 31 January 2020 - 09:55 AM.

#94 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 31 January 2020 - 10:05 AM

View PostRenzor the Red, on 31 January 2020 - 09:47 AM, said:

Okay, actually, the Mist Lynx was awful, lol, but I got my kill and then some.
The ACH and MLX are rather undergunned, yes. Getting a kill is doable. Getting a solo kill? With that amount of firepower it's painful unless you're dealing with potatoes who ****ed off to Zimbabwe.

Edited by Horseman, 31 January 2020 - 10:12 AM.

#95 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 31 January 2020 - 10:34 AM

I didn't expect to get very far with the original goals, but decided to mess with the event now that it's changed. I had already gotten some solo kills that carried over, finished up the Clan side easily, and now I figure I may as well finish up the IS side since I started. Might tank my KDR a bit, but I'm not doing as poorly as expected. Still have the Spider and Panther to get through though, not looking forward to those so much. My MLX kill was pretty much a kill-steal situation, so I imagine I'll need that to happen a few times more.

It's free stuff and when it's done, it's easy kills on the poor saps still stuck in Trial mechs. Original version was a bit harsh, and I'm sure I'll be cursing my life choices later while working on the IS lights, but overall not a bad event once fixed.

#96 Ruediger Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 512 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 11:56 AM

View PostMatt Newman, on 30 January 2020 - 08:28 AM, said:

For the "Tryhards" people complaining about the Queue quality and talking bad about new players. MWO already has a steep learning curve but an unwelcome vibe could be the thing that turns people away. Having a "good" Community is all of our responsibilities and offering new players help will go a long way to players sticking around and learning.

We don´t have a "good" community, we have an outstanding good community! A community that kept this game alive for 7 years!
You are one to talk about an unwelcome vibe, while Russ is constantly lying, promises are broken, bugs not fixed after years, weapons getting useless and gameplay getting ****** up like you did with FP last year.
You want players to stick around? Do your job and do it right!
And btw. how can people complain about queue and new players if we have a working matchmaker? Posted Image
What turns people away is the constant incompetence of PGI.
So don´t you dare blaming the people here complaining, cause they have all the rights to do it.

#97 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 02:49 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 30 January 2020 - 08:28 AM, said:

For the "Tryhards" people complaining about the Queue quality and talking bad about new players. MWO already has a steep learning curve but an unwelcome vibe could be the thing that turns people away. Having a "good" Community is all of our responsibilities and offering new players help will go a long way to players sticking around and learning.

I'm glad you feel queue quality is important is important to community building, we do as well. Rather than just an isolated event, how about fixing the queue once and for all, using math and science.

https://mwomercs.com...thread-we-need/

#98 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 31 January 2020 - 04:41 PM

View PostHorseman, on 31 January 2020 - 10:05 AM, said:

The ACH and MLX are rather undergunned, yes. Getting a kill is doable. Getting a solo kill? With that amount of firepower it's painful unless you're dealing with potatoes who ****ed off to Zimbabwe.

As soon as there is a disco at the start of a match... Probably 1 in 4... You immediately see your team of light/med trials run straight for the dropzones.

They totally ignore anything else on the map - the only priority is

Posted Image

Some even die on their Merry YOLORush to find the disconnect. Then the disconnect rejoins and usually you'll see 2-3 trial mechs promptly die with 120 damage between them as they are now totally out of position and being hunted down.

Just watching the mini-map each drop and it's a absolute circus out there right now.

#99 Bolo Atari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 259 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:32 PM

Aww c'mon, a circus is fun ... it's the clowns ...

You know who you are.

#100 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 31 January 2020 - 07:21 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 30 January 2020 - 09:51 AM, said:

Ok so I really regret Saying Try hards, Sorry not my best form.

I am listening to the feedback and I do want to make the events as fun as possible for everyone.
I got a well thought out DM and have realized that I should not have used Solo Kill as a Key metric for each of those mechs.
I did try to keep the requirements reasonable and give ample time.
Unfortunately the issue with Trials load outs (champion mechs) won't be changing.
I will do my best to not repeat this type of event in the future.

It'd be better if you and your fellow developers/higer-ups simply played your OWN GAME from time-to-time and keep up with how badly the MM is implemented, how bad some of the mechs are (especially the (C) mechs in their terrible loadouts) and basically, just how badly some of the people play this team-oriented game and yet, label others "Try-hards".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users