#61 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:01 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 30 January 2020 - 09:51 AM, said:

Ok so I really regret Saying Try hards, Sorry not my best form.

I am listening to the feedback and I do want to make the events as fun as possible for everyone.
I got a well thought out DM and have realized that I should not have used Solo Kill as a Key metric for each of those mechs.
I did try to keep the requirements reasonable and give ample time.
Unfortunately the issue with Trials load outs (champion mechs) won't be changing.
I will do my best to not repeat this type of event in the future.

Matt, you’re an asset to PGI, the game, and this community and the above bit of openness and acknowledgement proves it (I am thinking of how Paul or Russ would respond if the criticisms of the type put forth in this thread were leveled at them)

I personally will not bring out trials for this, but ya did get me to play a couple of champions I have in my inventory that I otherwise would not have touched. So to that very limited extent, mission accomplished! Thanks.

#62 theUgly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-General
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:05 PM

Please dont come into faction with trials if you do have something better to drop with

#63 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:16 PM

View PosttheUgly, on 30 January 2020 - 12:05 PM, said:

Please dont come into faction with trials if you do have something better to drop with

You dont like Spiders?

#64 -Winter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:18 PM

View PosttheUgly, on 30 January 2020 - 12:05 PM, said:

Please don't come into faction with trials.

Fixed it for you lol

#65 FallGuy0815

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:22 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 30 January 2020 - 10:29 AM, said:

For Real? Jeez I had no Idea... Fail #3 for today. Can i go back to bed now or what?Posted Image

Sums up my day too ;-)

#66 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:57 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 30 January 2020 - 11:17 AM, said:

OK! New account, 1st post, with the Name "Been doing this for 4 years".
Is this your throw away account so you can tell me how you really feel? ... Lemme have it

My Flawed Logic:
  • The Trial Mechs had recently changed
  • I needed to create an event
  • I have had positive feedback in the past about players enjoying using Mechs and or Weapons that they hadn't otherwise
  • Events where I required using weapons players suggested i used weapons equipped on trial mechs so players wouldn't have to purchase them,
  • the possibility of new/or old players trying more or different chassis
  • Changing up the events to keep them from all being the same
  • Goes with the Champion Sale.
I suppose I could have used just the Arctic Cheetah instead of the Arctic Cheetah trial/Champion and I have in the past but this was how it was done this time.

I have already altered the Event...

Posted Image

Hey Matt,

Your idea to get players involved in different mechs is a good one, but using the champion trials was probably not the best way. Perhaps setting the event to the champion chasis types, but not specifically the champions themselves would have been better for sure. That way old players that already have these mechs can dust them off without using trials, and trials would only be required if you didnt have the specific chassis required.

Setting Solo kill requirement on the face of it seems like a good idea, but it changes gameplay in a negative fashion because it causes everyone attempting the event to chase that solo kill while frothing at the mouth, with no regard to their match result as long as they dump as much damage into one enemy and secure that solo kill.

#67 theUgly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-General
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 01:52 PM

View PostWinter VII, on 30 January 2020 - 12:18 PM, said:

Fixed it for you lol

View PostWinter VII, on 30 January 2020 - 12:18 PM, said:

Fixed it for you lol

You worry of fixing yourself
i meant every word i said

#68 -Winter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 01:54 PM

View PosttheUgly, on 30 January 2020 - 01:52 PM, said:

You worry of fixing yourself
i meant every word i said

So you support trials mechs in FP got it.

#69 Bolo Atari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 259 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:27 PM

Look man, I don't care who you are ... getting a solo kill in a trial Spider suuuuuuux.

Edited by Bolo Atari, 30 January 2020 - 02:31 PM.

#70 Tranderas

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:31 PM

Matt, you should encourage your colleagues to reconsider their stance on updating the builds on the champion mechs for sale in the store. They are not new player friendly at all, and new players appear to be the intended target audience. Experienced players who have owned them for awhile aren't going to care about a 500k-3m cb difference in value, but it will be huge for the quality of matches for the new players that buy them.

That's a huge portion of the problem of using a trial mech event to sell champion mechs. The fact that the new player experience is so awful as to make a champion mech appealing to buy to get actual xp to begin with is another issue entirely.

#71 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:38 PM

Bolo Atari said:

1580423236[/url]' post='6318627']
Look man, I don't care who you are ... getting a solo kill in a trial Spider suuuuuuux.

It is a bit of luck too.
I struggled too with the spider but suddenlyI got 3 kills in one game.
but still struggle with the damn Panther.

Edit:
Yeahhh. Finished IS.
Bingo.

Edited by Mumuharra, 30 January 2020 - 03:16 PM.

#72 UnknownAlt

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:41 PM

I thought the event idea was a great one, but unfortunately , some mechs are out of date, many changes (balance) were made, that made certain loadouts obsolete, (basically Useless), Owning a Champion that also happens to be a trial, shouldn't have a problem correcting a bad loadout of today, to a good to decent loadout of today .

I wouldn't want a meta build for new players, most meta builds require good knowledge of heat management, the average new player will not catch on to that right away, probably think the mech sux, "it's always over heating and shutting down getting me killed'

apparently some (if not most) champions need a refit, due to changes (balance), maybe change the destination letter at the end, from C to CL (Champion Legacy) Something like that, and build new champions to today's design/standards

As I did say the event idea was fun, and it changes the battlefield, making a pilot to think outside the meta box., I just know some of those champions are just bad builds, of today, maybe not at the time of their creation.

as for a spider getting a solo kill, I got mine Posted Image
although , it's is going to take me forever to get the srm Damage for the Catapult, the delay firing of missile launching is not easy for me, even worse when the doors are closed, was suggested may be lag, but do not have that delay in other SRM carrying mechs

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

My Flawed Logic:
  • The Trial Mechs had recently changed
  • I needed to create an event
  • I have had positive feedback in the past about players enjoying using Mechs and or Weapons that they hadn't otherwise
  • Events where I required using weapons players suggested i used weapons equipped on trial mechs so players wouldn't have to purchase them,
  • the possibility of new/or old players trying more or different chassis
  • Changing up the events to keep them from all being the same
  • Goes with the Champion Sale.

I see no flaws in that logic, only flaw I saw, most trial mechs are out of date

#73 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 03:05 PM

But the goals are not too hard to achieve.
I am not an ace player or hardcore Gamer (only casual) but I finished IS in 4 hours today.
With a good potion of luck with the Spider and the Panther but it was fun to do this challenge with stock mechs and fixed loadouts. And compared to the former trial garbage these mechs are fully capable to finish the quest and compete in QP.
Also for newbees I think.

Edited by Mumuharra, 30 January 2020 - 03:07 PM.

#74 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 30 January 2020 - 03:05 PM

Is this your throw away account so you can tell me how you really feel? ... Lemme have it

I won't hide behind an Alt..

Trial mechs since the implementation of Skill Tree have a wider gap now than they did previously. For a new player they are in no way representative of how a mech will perform. Let alone putting a bad builds on them that are far too hot etc. That is just not helpful for a enjoyable new player experience if you're dead the first time you even see an enemy mech.

If you want to improve the builds for Trials and the new player experience - ask me. I'll spend whatever time is needed, I will do all the work for free.

View PostMatt Newman, on 30 January 2020 - 08:28 AM, said:

For the "Tryhards" people complaining about the Queue quality and talking bad about new players. MWO already has a steep learning curve but an unwelcome vibe could be the thing that turns people away. Having a "good" Community is all of our responsibilities and offering new players help will go a long way to players sticking around and learning.

Ignoring the tryhard bit. That wasn't the point as you pointed out and wasn't my point either.

A new player is going to be in Tier 5 or Tier 4. Any long term player is basically going to be in Tier 1 due to PSR not being a zero-sum system. Thus is actually impossible for a Tier 1 player to give any unwelcome vibes as they are never in the same matches with new players. So your point is essentially moot.

The actual issue is seeing between 6-12 Trial mechs each drop, out of 24 in Tier 1 games. Most of them unable to do more than 150dmg, many under 100dmg.

Posted Image

First match today, same as yesterday - he who has the more trial mechs = loses.

8 Trials losing side
4 Trials winning side

How is this fun for anyone? If two guys on the losing team didn't do some work, that was a 12-2 loss... Doing sub 100dmg matches over and over - It's going to take you an hour to complete each challenge. Why? Because you get deleted instantly in unskilled mechs that are like paper and no DPS to return fire.

You've had some good and some bad events Matt and over time it's definitely felt better even with the variety.

This one is just plain ugly mate.

#75 Bolo Atari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 259 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 30 January 2020 - 04:00 PM

Good points. Yet, I think, the event is ok. True, skilled Mechs will have an advantage, yet pilot skill matters.

Hear me out: a long-time player may need to simply play differently; map knowledge, aim and positioning, although important no matter what means more here. Those who adapt adequately are better for it, those who don't ... don't, I suppose.

To blame the event for non-fun seems like a red herring. Very humbly.

#76 AizakG

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 04:26 PM

Now that it's merely kills or kmdd, I agree with your idea earlier, @Matt. You should just make the challenge about getting 16 kills or kmdd for any mech of the chassis that the trial mechs belong to. It makes it so the event is still champion themed like you guys at PGI want, allows people to use their best mech for the challenge so they won't throw the match like the try-hards are weary of, and makes it so the challenge isn't too difficult to complete for the average player.

By the way, I completed the solo kills on the two hardest trial mechs while streaming, and it was loads of fun. I liked the original challenge a lot (except for the fact you can complete it using mechs you owned and customized). None-the-less, the vast majority don't like it --for completely valid reasons. It's just a bummer for people like me who enjoy challenges for the fun of challenge and mixing things up. I'd almost say it'd be neat to retain the original challenge of solo kills in the worst trial mechs available, but with a smaller reward or something, but it really feels like I'd be alone in that sentiment.

Also, would it be possible to, at the very least, give trial mechs a minimal skill tree? The majority of the trial mechs could use updating on their loadout, but one of the biggest issue with them is a lack of skilltree making new players in particular struggle or think they don't like certain weapon systems. I have a lot of friends that show interest in this game, but they used their tutorial money on a bad mech or loadout, and I want to show them the game can be fun with a good loadout. As is, if someone has no c-bills, and their only mech was chosen poorly, they will struggle very hard and have to grind many matches to eventually get a good mech and loadout. It's a strong turn away for many new players.

Edited by AizakG, 30 January 2020 - 04:34 PM.

#77 TheCallandor

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:20 PM

Is any one else having problem with the Warhawk? For some reason I can not get 1dmg with a LGplus Lz

#78 -Winter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:30 PM

View PostTheCallandor, on 30 January 2020 - 07:20 PM, said:

Is any one else having problem with the Warhawk? For some reason I can not get 1dmg with a LGplus Lz

Warhawk has a Clan Large Pulse, just use an IS mech that has an Large Pulse.

#79 Alan Hicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 414 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:33 PM

Not very inspired to use trial mechs...

Relieved the event was positively corrected. Still...maybe I will play, maybe I won't. I have yet to decide.

#80 TheCallandor

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:36 PM

Yes but do not have to score 1 dmg with a Lg Plus laser with a Warhawk?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users