Trial Mech Challenges Event And Sale

155 replies to this topic

#21 Nathan White

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Liao
  • 656 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:15 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 29 January 2020 - 10:44 PM, said:

I can just imagine the quality of play in SoloQ just dropped another rung if people are gonna run around in unskilled trial mexha for a week.

Ugh.

Not only SoloQ. You just can imagine how everything will be bad in FP

#22 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:44 AM

View PostNathan White, on 30 January 2020 - 02:15 AM, said:

Not only SoloQ. You just can imagine how everything will be bad in FP

I was trying to block that outta my mind - it's been bad enough the last 2-3 weeks cause the super casual MW5 players are spilling into FP...

People running full trial decks is just the next logical step.

Maybe a no MWO weekend for me ahead!

#23 Simos The Greek

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 03:03 AM

Must be some stanford psychological experiment.
Can't wait to see the result!

#24 CycKath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,574 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 30 January 2020 - 03:44 AM

View PostSimos The Greek, on 30 January 2020 - 03:03 AM, said:

Must be some stanford psychological experiment.
Can't wait to see the result!

"I can't do this in Trials, I guess I'll have to buy Champions then!"

Yeah naaaaaah....

#25 GrimmigerPetz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 152 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 30 January 2020 - 04:53 AM

Hell yeah, this sounds like fun. Well, at least like a challenge. Looking forward to popping xl sphere trials.

#26 Lexandro Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 108 posts
  • LocationHungary, Budapest

Posted 30 January 2020 - 05:32 AM

Dear PGI!

Pls fix it:
Get 2 Kills or KMDD in the WHK-C(C) 2 / 2

Earn 1000 Damage with a LRG Pulse Laser 0 / 1000 -> Warhawk has C-Large Pulse(!!!)

#27 SATAN 666

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 05:36 AM

solo kill in a light trial??? mist lynx with only 4 small laser with no armor, and the spider- thats a joke.sorry wont even try it

#28 N_o_v_A

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 06:07 AM

Cool event, thanks!

#29 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 325 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 30 January 2020 - 06:18 AM

On the bright side, it'll be easier to get a solo kill in a crappy trial mech against all the people in other crappy trial mechs...

I have my own KDK-3(C) from 2018's Xmas event, and a Shadowcat(C) from some sort of event bonus. Oh, and I have a Jager champion from buying the mastery bundle. But I'll have a hard time with the rest, lol.

Edit: After looking at the trial mech loadouts, they're not bad. Far from stock mechs.

Edited by Renzor the Red, 30 January 2020 - 11:32 AM.

#30 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 06:55 AM

It's a good idea, but it would only takes a single bad trial mech to ruin it, and apparently we have more the one available.

Also who's the guy filling half the trial mechs with Large Lasers and Large Pulse Lasers, even with mediums and lights ? Those trial mechs have bad heat dissipation...

I'd be fine with the event if you only needed 6/8 instead of 8/8 solo kills, so you could skip your most unwanted trial mechs.

#31 OMCBOONE

• PipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:17 AM

I knew a few of you would QQ, but I like the challenge. And I have done quite well in trial mechs in the past.. Sure you are gimped in so many ways and not optimal for your team.. but the state of this game is lul so why care so much?

However when I say i did quite well it was on a newb alt account in tier 5 lololo :P
Cheers

Edited by OMCBOONE, 30 January 2020 - 07:22 AM.

#32 -Winter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:40 AM

Honestly at this point PGI is just trying to troll the remaining players away from the servers lol. Light/Med rush in QP FFS. Only people who will like this event are the people who are used to doing trash damage with **** builds like these and never helping their team.

Edited by Winter VII, 30 January 2020 - 07:42 AM.

#33 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:42 AM

Getting solo kills in those lights is going to be 98% of the event for anyone bothering. I don't know if it's even worth it, you'll basically have to be hunting for discos on some, like that Mist Lynx.

#34 Neckomimi

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:24 AM

View PostWinter VII, on 30 January 2020 - 07:40 AM, said:

Honestly at this point PGI is just trying to troll the remaining players away from the servers lol. Light/Med rush in QP FFS. Only people who will like this event are the people who are used to doing trash damage with **** builds like these and never helping their team.

this

Edited by Neckomimi, 30 January 2020 - 08:24 AM.

#35 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:28 AM

Hi all!

ON the Warhawk challenge I have reduced the amount of damage required to 1 DMG.
This means you will need to achieve this with a Inner Sphere Mech. (the Trial Highlander has a Lrg Pulse Laser equipped)
Unfortunately I can't change it to a Clan Weapon without invalidating other peoples progress and causing other weird issues.

For the Trial Mechs Load outs. The Trial Mechs are all Champion Mechs and the loadouts where set at the time the Champion mech came out. The load outs are not altered after they are created and sold for MC as it would change the value after others have purchased them. (I didn't design the load outs either)

My goal with this event was to indeed give new (and old) players an opportunity to try new stuff, earn currency rewards and yes change the "meta" experience for a while.

For the "Tryhards" people complaining about the Queue quality and talking bad about new players. MWO already has a steep learning curve but an unwelcome vibe could be the thing that turns people away. Having a "good" Community is all of our responsibilities and offering new players help will go a long way to players sticking around and learning.

#36 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:09 AM

it's going to be hard for anyone other than "tryhards" to get a solo kill with the spider/myst linx unless they farm dc's.

#37 -Winter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:26 AM

I gotta ask, why are the devs so against competent players? What constitutes "try hard"? Trying to not be a potato? Actually putting up damage? These "Try Hards" you speak of are actually helping us new players become better at the game, in turn sticking around longer. I can tell you first hand playing their builds and winning is alot more fun then playing random builds and getting farmed. New players need that guidance, not just a welcoming smile and being told GL & HF.

FYI, I think much of the distaste could be fixed on the back end. Block Trail mech's from FP and require X number of games in QP before entry. There goes a good 30% of negativity.

#38 Tranderas

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:30 AM

View PostMatt Newman, on 30 January 2020 - 08:28 AM, said:

For the "Tryhards" complaining about the Queue quality and talking bad about new players. MWO already has a steep learning curve but an unwelcome vibe could be the thing that turns people away. Having a "good" Community is all of our responsibilities and offering new players help will go a long way to players sticking around and learning.

No, it's YOUR responsibility to make a fun experience that experienced players want to support and be positive about. Don't put your flaws on a community that is desperately drawing for straws to find reasons to continue to support a game that's been in freefall since May.

This is reminiscent of the TAG damage event less than two months after you promised the entire community you would never have them again, Matt. You need to do fun events if you want the support of the people trying to have fun, and you need to accept responsibility when the events aren't fun. Blaming the players will only create more hostility among the community and lead to more people leaving.

Do better.

#39 D U N E

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:37 AM

To be fair on "Try hards" arguing about quality of Quick Play. When I started the game Trial mechs gave me a wrong interpretation of meta that made the game harder for me to play as a beginner - I think we need a new set of trial mechs that are meta, but also fun. Some things like the 5 med pulse vulcan is rather skill intensive, but I think for lower tiers it could be a new style of gameplay that is really fun to work with.

When trial mechs are ****, and bring down the game - that's a sign those shouldn't be the mechs that new players need to rely on to get into the game.

#40 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:51 AM

Ok so I really regret Saying Try hards, Sorry not my best form.

I am listening to the feedback and I do want to make the events as fun as possible for everyone.
I got a well thought out DM and have realized that I should not have used Solo Kill as a Key metric for each of those mechs.
I did try to keep the requirements reasonable and give ample time.
Unfortunately the issue with Trials load outs (champion mechs) won't be changing.
I will do my best to not repeat this type of event in the future.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users