#41 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 12 March 2020 - 10:34 AM

View PostS 0 L E N Y A, on 12 March 2020 - 09:55 AM, said:

and the boomers and mechdads still can't figure out why their game is deader than disco..

I'm confused, are you arguing that the game is dead *because* half the streamers think that they are pan-dimensional-wolfkin, or are you saying that there aren't *enough* of these wolfkin playing, and that MWO needs to shift its advertising focus toward younger, more species-fluid players?

#42 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 11:08 AM

and the boomers and mechdads still can't figure out why their game is deader than disco..
Elaborate please.

Why is our game is dead?

My god, PGI:
- invested millions in advertising (they didn't, MAYBE tens of thousands from what I've observed over the years)
- Used a well thought out development process, meeting specific goals within stated time frames (not from what we've observed, after the initial release it appeared they ping ponged between adding the Clans, to Balance, to maps, to Balance, to 'mech packs, to Balance, CW, to balance, CW again, to balance, CW again, skill tree, to balance, to basically giving the F up)
- PGI has been very fast and responsive to fixing bugs (LOL)

The game endures, more or less, in spite of decisions of the upper management because so many of us Gen X'ers (I don't think many ACTUAL "boomers" play this type of computer game) were such ardent fans of the BattleTech IP.

That and the fact no one else could deliver a better Big Stompy Robot product in that period from Open Beta to today has kept a significant number of us coming back to this game (with short breaks in between to play other new titles Bordlerlands 3, Fallout 4, Empyrion Galactic Survival, so on and so forth).

Anyway, again, please elaborate on your theory as to why this game is deader than disco. You seem to be implying its the fault of the streamers, but maybe it's just that you haven't articulated your thoughts thoroughly...

Edited by Dimento Graven, 12 March 2020 - 11:09 AM.

#43 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 12:46 PM

I'm fairly certain that the majority of us playing are Gen X. I don't see many 65 plus guys playing so that kinda limits the amount of boomers. And wtf is a mechdad? A player with kids? That has to be one of the dumber things I've heard people use as an insult in this game and its been showing up in the forums for f'n years. Every time someone replies to a topic trying to sound like the "cool kid" I am forced to imagine that their reply wad generated by a bot that was programmed to talk like a 50 year-old marketing director thinks that teenagers talk.

#44 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:11 PM

View Postccrider, on 12 March 2020 - 12:46 PM, said:

I'm fairly certain that the majority of us playing are Gen X. I don't see many 65 plus guys playing so that kinda limits the amount of boomers. And wtf is a mechdad? A player with kids? That has to be one of the dumber things I've heard people use as an insult in this game and its been showing up in the forums for f'n years. Every time someone replies to a topic trying to sound like the "cool kid" I am forced to imagine that their reply wad generated by a bot that was programmed to talk like a 50 year-old marketing director thinks that teenagers talk.

Most of the folks I play with are Gen Y/Millenials or Gen Z I think. Who people notice more in the game may be influenced by their age (more likely to hang out with people closer to your own age) and who is in their unit (or more informal social group).

#45 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 03:20 PM

^ Yeah I think there's an even mix of younger and middle-aged folk and who you meet depends on what modes / forums etc you frequent.

Edited by RickySpanish, 12 March 2020 - 03:20 PM.

#46 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 03:33 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 12 March 2020 - 03:20 PM, said:

^ Yeah I think there's an even mix of younger and middle-aged folk and who you meet depends on what modes / forums etc you frequent.
that may be. I've played with a few guys in their late 20s but almost everyone I regularly see is mid 30s to 40s and grew up on battletech. Tbh I'm not even sure what age range milenials are anymore; if I google it the definition changes depending on what site I read. Meanwhile gen x stays consistent at like 1967 to 1980 so I may be biased by the fact I can actually pinpoint my fellow OG slacker generation members. I still think there's very few boomers in here though. I can't imagine a lotta retirees are playing stompy robots.

#47 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 03:40 PM

View Postccrider, on 12 March 2020 - 03:33 PM, said:

that may be. I've played with a few guys in their late 20s but almost everyone I regularly see is mid 30s to 40s and grew up on battletech. Tbh I'm not even sure what age range milenials are anymore; if I google it the definition changes depending on what site I read. Meanwhile gen x stays consistent at like 1967 to 1980 so I may be biased by the fact I can actually pinpoint my fellow OG slacker generation members. I still think there's very few boomers in here though. I can't imagine a lotta retirees are playing stompy robots.

'82 to about '96 ish is what I have read the most. The people I played with most often have tended to be gen-x and older millennials such as myself. You tend to flock to the people you understand the best I reckon. Also, younger millennials and gen-z have this excrutiatingly annoying thing going on where they speak in metaphors. E.g. that nasty linguistic travesty "nobody: ... Rickyspanish: you guys sound dumb".

#48 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 12 March 2020 - 11:13 PM

Gonna kick 60 this year ya whippersnappers!

#49 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 05:21 AM

View PostNovakaine, on 12 March 2020 - 11:13 PM, said:

Gonna kick 60 this year ya whippersnappers!
well ****, you just had to ruin my boomer theory novakaine. I'm officially making you 45 now. Welcome to Gen X; we have reruns of clerks playing in room 3 and your ability to remind all the milenials that everything they grew up on was ours first and was better has been activated.

#50 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 10:33 AM

View Postccrider, on 13 March 2020 - 05:21 AM, said:

well ****, you just had to ruin my boomer theory novakaine. I'm officially making you 45 now. Welcome to Gen X; we have reruns of clerks playing in room 3 and your ability to remind all the milenials that everything they grew up on was ours first and was better has been activated.

At 60 he's basically Gen-X anyway. 60 is the new 40 folks!

#51 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 11:16 AM

I just pretend I'm an old woman when I stream. Mix things up.

#52 nuttyrat

• PipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 94 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 13 March 2020 - 07:41 PM

I think RickySpanish needs a hug

#53 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 14 March 2020 - 05:40 AM

Back in my day......
Posted Image

#54 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 14 March 2020 - 09:36 AM

View PostBlack Caiman, on 22 February 2020 - 05:08 AM, said:

I did flip to a twitch stream where an older guy was wearing a Pikachu beanie with tassels thing? He is a more established player, but Im blanking on the name exactly. Though it is weird to a see a guy in his 60s or so wearing a yellow rodent on his head I kinda chalk it up to "oh well Ive seen stranger things" haha

You speak of Moadebe. He's a super nice guy who does sync drops and has a great time. He affectionately refers to his cap as the head crab and blames it for warcrimes in the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users