44 replies to this topic

#21 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 11 March 2020 - 05:00 AM

I went with the 3 LRM 20 version and mpls and played last night, unskilled of course. Oh my God, it was *amazing*! Highlights include:

Getting cored out by a stealth Locust.
Never even getting close to using all my ammo.
AMS everywhere.
Having to dumbfire half the time, because most people made good use of cover.
Constant LRM unfriendly map selection.
Being angrily told that no, nobody will hold locks when I requested it in all chat.
Not winning a single game.
Never breaking 300 MS or damage.
Taking up an Assault spot each match with sub-Light performance.

She's a beauty ladies and gents, I feel like I've actually begun to grow roots.

Edited by RickySpanish, 11 March 2020 - 05:02 AM.

#22 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 05:20 AM

Thanks for the free matchscore.
10/10 would drop against again!

Sincerely,
COR-7A

Posted Image

#23 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 11 March 2020 - 05:32 AM

I think the Sunspider with LRM80 and ECM might be better Posted Image

#24 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 05:42 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 11 March 2020 - 05:20 AM, said:

Thanks for the free matchscore.
10/10 would drop against again!

Sincerely,
COR-7A

Posted Image

Hahaha yep, you are welcome. I got more damage out of my pulse lasers last night I think. I did drop in my Incubus once and some guy commented at the end of the match, how much better I was in that 'Mech. No kidding buddy!

#25 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 11 March 2020 - 07:22 AM

you should have gone big, instead you went home :P

#26 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 07:24 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 11 March 2020 - 07:22 AM, said:

you should have gone big, instead you went home :P

We'll see about that! This isn't The End of the amazing exploits of the Gentlemanly Number Of LRM Tubes Whammy.

Edited by RickySpanish, 11 March 2020 - 07:25 AM.

#27 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 11 March 2020 - 07:19 PM

Try this one....

HGN-IIC-B

I switched the LRMs to ATM 36 and an LBx10 and it feels better but overall, I don't use that mech all that much.

#28 OmniFail

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 10:19 PM

Fixed!

https://mech.nav-alp...b8b1_WHM-IIC-10
https://kitlaan.gitl...s=Miscellaneous

Strive to use all your weapons all the time.
Strive to use all your ammo.
Strive to get your own locks. While you should take all available shoots; LOS makes a difference against AMS with the greater velocity.

Tag and target decay are garbage when you get your own LOS locks.

In my opinion there are better mechs for this job most notably the Sun Spider with it's glorious omni pod whoreage, the he Mad Dog prime with its quirks, and the Vapor Eagle-3 with its mad crazy minimax potential.

*Fixed armor values.

Should go 81.6 KPH. Should have 60 armor on both STs and arms, 107 on CT, and 50 on each leg.

Edited by OmniFail, 11 March 2020 - 10:45 PM.

#29 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 11:14 PM

speed tweak is a waste on an assault that already goes 76 kph. On the other hand there's a lot of waste gathering on that mech, so why not... Posted Image

#30 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 12 March 2020 - 12:25 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 11 March 2020 - 05:00 AM, said:

I went with the 3 LRM 20 version and mpls and played last night, unskilled of course. Oh my God, it was *amazing*! Highlights include:

Getting cored out by a stealth Locust.
Never even getting close to using all my ammo.
AMS everywhere.
Having to dumbfire half the time, because most people made good use of cover.
Constant LRM unfriendly map selection.
Being angrily told that no, nobody will hold locks when I requested it in all chat.
Not winning a single game.
Never breaking 300 MS or damage.
Taking up an Assault spot each match with sub-Light performance.

She's a beauty ladies and gents, I feel like I've actually begun to grow roots.

have you ever played a LRM boat before? Apparently, you still have much to learn :)

Here are a few more pointers:

1) When facing a stealth locust, or any light mech rushing you, you need to be surrounded by your team mates. Pop a UAV and call for help either over VOIP or the command wheel. A good team will take care of you. A bad team will want the glory kill.

2) AMS has become very common, especially the massively overpowered 4AMS Corsair. To counter this, use BIG tube nubers, like LRM70 or higher. Also, group fire all your LRMs, they will overwhelm the AMS spam better. Chainfire LRM70 gets chewed up. Group fired LRM70 gets at least some hits. Also, there is no way for an AMS boat to cover everyone. Look for targets outside of the Irondome's bubble. Lastly, call the evil AMS boat a primary target, and wait until it gets taken down. It is also a good strategy to work with a LRM boat teammate. The two of you, using big tube mubers, will take an AMS boat out quickly.

3) Dumbfire can help, but smart positioning closer to your target works miracles. Also, position around cover as much as possible.

4) LRM unfriendly map selection is sadly something you can't avoid. But many more maps are better at being LRM friendly since the lower arc in direct fire. Also, there are some good nights, and some bad ones. It's just MWO for you.. Haters will say no map except maybe Polar is LRM friendly. It's not true. I've had amazing LRM games on every map in the game, even Solaris City. A good team helps. Even a single friend with NARC can make a huge difference.

5) Requesting locks in chat or VOIP is the hallmark of a bad Lurmer or a novice Lurmer (or simply a troll). Don't do that. Even I don't do that. Instead, call targets, pop UAVs, and stay with your team, a bit closer to the targets. Not melee range, but not on the other side of the map or near your max range either.

6) Not winning any games - yeah, this happens. There are bad nights and good ones. I usually cycle through all my mechs until I find one that's "lucky" that day. If I don't, I go do something else..

7) Low damage and MS scores happen as a result of bad games. This will improve as your skill with LRMs improves. I've had some amazing games and still lost. I usually feel satisfied if I do 500+ damage per mech, and 1kill or KMDD / mech.

8) Taking up an assault spot - that is a stupid way of thinking in MWO.. Because in MWO, it really doesn't matter what mech you're in, or which weight class, because you can kill any other mech in any mech. How many times has an that big bad assault been killed by a lowly light like a locust? Lights are massively overpowered in MWO as compared to saaaay, MW5.. Being an assault in MWO means only that you're slower than other mechs, and that You probably have some bigger weapons. Yet, still, I've seen Urbanmechs outperform, outgun, and out-live a Direwolf and many other mechs ALOT. So just leave the "Weight classes matter" mentality behind you.

#31 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:23 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 12 March 2020 - 12:25 AM, said:

8) Taking up an assault spot - that is a stupid way of thinking in MWO.. Because in MWO, it really doesn't matter what mech you're in, or which weight class, because you can kill any other mech in any mech......

I think what he meant was that there are assault mechs with loadouts that perform well regardless of map in QP. So, bringing a LRM-Assault in there is a waste.

#32 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:09 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 12 March 2020 - 01:23 AM, said:

I think what he meant was that there are assault mechs with loadouts that perform well regardless of map in QP. So, bringing a LRM-Assault in there is a waste.

Considering how much more effective my Cyclops S with LB-10Xs is, yes! So the thing with LRM builds is (and I don't want to discuss it too much because it has been done to death) that their damage is unpredictable and spread out. You can never trade with another Assault in an LRM boat, you will always come off worse. So, by bringing an LRM boat to your team you have one less 'Mech who can deny the enemy team an avenue of movement. Worse, competent enemy players can easily deny you indirect fire options as well. I rarely pack AMS on any of my slow 'Mechs for example, because avoiding LRMs is very easy.

Now, with the above noted, the Whammy is a *lot* of fun and last night due to a... "dip" in player quality, shall we say, I did a bit better. I actually had a game in the day time where I absolutely slaughtered my fellow Charlie lancemates in damage and kills.

I don't hate lurmers by any means, just putting that out there - you play however you choose to and have your own slightly-less-efficient-than-meta fun. I also appreciate the tips Vellron and shall attempt to become a better lurmer. When people hold locks and even Narc it helps greatly, and I feel like my Gentlemanly number of tubes promotes some level of armour sharing since I try to get LOS for the pulse lasers.

Next up: ATMs!

#33 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 02:31 PM

I will admit, the in game haters get under my skin. I don't care if you drop with an Atlas armed with 18 flamers, GLHF. But it's the internet, it brings out the worst in people. I do note the names, and oddly the same voices hating on LRMers are often yelling "Get this little *** off me" two minutes into the game.

#34 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:16 AM

View PostNearly Dead, on 13 March 2020 - 02:31 PM, said:

I will admit, the in game haters get under my skin. I don't care if you drop with an Atlas armed with 18 flamers, GLHF. But it's the internet, it brings out the worst in people. I do note the names, and oddly the same voices hating on LRMers are often yelling "Get this little *** off me" two minutes into the game.

It's always the same people. And it's always the same units. And you will notice, if you pay attention, that around most of these people, "strange things" happen..

Hater gonna hate, right?

I tend to simply avoid playing with them as much as possible..

#35 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 04:41 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 16 March 2020 - 01:16 AM, said:

It's always the same people. And it's always the same units. And you will notice, if you pay attention, that around most of these people, "strange things" happen..

Hater gonna hate, right?

I tend to simply avoid playing with them as much as possible..

Back to hackusations?rly?

#36 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 04:53 AM

He might refer to teamkills, though

#37 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 05:04 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 16 March 2020 - 04:53 AM, said:

He might refer to teamkills, though

Hehe, not l33t but guilty as pronounced Posted Image Many meta builds are high on alpha but low on back armour. About a half of my TK's come from someone butting in (sic) between my Pay2Strike and my target, so maybe not that much of malicious intent there. Then again, experienced players normally do not walk in front of friendlies.

#38 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:42 AM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 16 March 2020 - 04:41 AM, said:

Back to hackusations?rly?

You can just look at his location and already know he has a tinfoil hat on.

#39 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 03:33 PM

Well backstabbing accusations aside, I have found that the IIC-10 with 2 ATM 12s and 5 medium pulse lasers works very well. I might throw a ton or two of ammo away for a TC though, because I never run the tubes dry and an extra heatsink will leave a ton free.

#40 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 16 March 2020 - 04:23 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 16 March 2020 - 03:33 PM, said:

I might throw a ton or two of ammo away for a TC though, because I never run the tubes dry and an extra heatsink will leave a ton free.

And it'll improve your lock time for your lurms. Remember lock time is affected by sensor range....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users