Hiding To Conserve Kdr

85 replies to this topic

#21 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:22 PM

A weirdo, that one. But it's everyone's prerogative to have their own kind of weirdness. Posted Image

#22 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:18 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 27 March 2020 - 12:54 AM, said:

post removed

1. Y SO SRS? These guys do nothing, ergo they harm no-one. The end result of their (in)activity is hardly different to them yoloing forth and dying two minutes into the match. Honestly I would rather see them (even in my team) than people actually messing with my game, if only to get 24 sacks of cannon fodder together for matchmaking purposes.

2. Agree. Big shame on [REDACTED], but again, matchmaking (maybe not quite on this stage, thankfully)...

3. Your 1937 reference might be lost on the majority of audience, but the 1984 reference seems to fit as well Posted Image

#23 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:19 AM

View PostSniper09121986, on 27 March 2020 - 01:18 AM, said:

3. Your 1937 reference might be lost on the majority of audience, but the 1984 reference seems to fit as well Posted Image

Daffy Duck and spam. I'd say his reference was pretty clear.

#24 Acid_Rain

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:30 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 25 March 2020 - 03:28 PM, said:

The TOS says:

"Running out the clock, or needlessly extending the duration of the match, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory."

Then which clock, if game timer OK, fair enough.

As for the Domination Timer, I don't think that counts, and at most players only have to wait a minute.

So I am assuming running out the Domination timer is acceptable doh clarification would be noice.

But it also says something about suiciding too. Those 2 items are at odds with each other in a game that is lost.

Both of these are kind of grey areas. I get it's annoying if someone shuts down, but is he truly just delaying the game or he is trying to cause the team to split up to search so he can pick people off. I've seen guys do this and then pick off half the team. Kind of hard to prove what someones motives are just because you think they are doing something.

#25 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:59 AM

View PostAcid_Rain, on 27 March 2020 - 04:30 AM, said:

But it also says something about suiciding too. Those 2 items are at odds with each other in a game that is lost.

Both of these are kind of grey areas. I get it's annoying if someone shuts down, but is he truly just delaying the game or he is trying to cause the team to split up to search so he can pick people off. I've seen guys do this and then pick off half the team. Kind of hard to prove what someones motives are just because you think they are doing something.

Solution is simple. Last one who do tactical shutdown should inform the rest (voip or chat) that he is doing that for a purpose of better score or even a miraculous win. Not so grey when someone is shutdowning at the smallest hole in the map and do nothing. I like when the last one is trying to do something more than run straight into the rest of the enemies and die. In some cases it's very nice to watch. You don't wanna watch, you quit the match. So I try not press the last one. Let him have his last stand. Seen so many great plays, when the last one won the match against all odds. Perfect material to learn something. Still remember a mysterious guy who alone took 4 enemies in his 2 ppc's Shadowcat (and not on Solaris City from the buildings). Think this guy is highly specialized in playing this build. Salute!

Edited by Bistrorider, 27 March 2020 - 05:03 AM.

#26 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:32 AM

View PostBistrorider, on 27 March 2020 - 04:59 AM, said:

Solution is simple. Last one who do tactical shutdown should inform the rest (voip or chat) that he is doing that for a purpose of better score or even a miraculous win. Not so grey when someone is shutdowning at the smallest hole in the map and do nothing. I like when the last one is trying to do something more than run straight into the rest of the enemies and die. In some cases it's very nice to watch. You don't wanna watch, you quit the match. So I try not press the last one. Let him have his last stand. Seen so many great plays, when the last one won the match against all odds. Perfect material to learn something. Still remember a mysterious guy who alone took 4 enemies in his 2 ppc's Shadowcat (and not on Solaris City from the buildings). Think this guy is highly specialized in playing this build. Salute!

Very occasionally, you do get to spectate a truly entertaining comeback, or at least an attempt. It can be fun, it can be surprising. 99% of the time however, it's minutes of watching someone who can't or won't aim make horrible mistakes and shoot at fresh mechs right next to wide open mechs because they're panicked that everyone is spectating them. This also seems to happen most when you actually for whatever reason feel like using the same mech twice, so leaving does you no good.

I feel like if you're the last guy and you want to try to be a hero, you should be required to make a valiant and entertaining effort, add that to the TOS. If your teammates are not entertained, you're doing it wrong. Also if you shoot at Atlas arms and other random fresh/shield parts with your advance zoom while never actually locking, so you never actually kill anything, and force your team to spectate this, you're a tool. Most of the snipey ECM guys who do this stuff can't actually ever seem to hit anything critical with their low alpha, long range setups. Sure you had 600 dmg this match, but you lost, you didn't kill anything, and now everyone who spectated you knows how bad you are. Good job.

#27 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:38 AM

Solution is simple. Last one who do tactical shutdown should inform the rest (voip or chat) that he is doing that for a purpose of better score or even a miraculous win. Not so grey when someone is shutdowning at the smallest hole in the map and do nothing. I like when the last one is trying to do something more than run straight into the rest of the enemies and die. In some cases it's very nice to watch. You don't wanna watch, you quit the match.

Informing the rest of the group is always good, I often do it once I've found a safe spot to do so, but dead players also need to learn patience. If somebody wants to spend 5 minutes kiting the enemy, let them. It's the same thing with shutting down to set an ambush, when you set an ambush you have to wait for the enemy to walk into it. From the enemy perspective it can be a little different, I once watched our last Flea running round Rubelite for a good 5 minutes without so much as a sensor contact while the reds were screaming to report for non-participation. It was only when a dead red called out his teammates grids the action resumed, that Flea got 2 kills before he finally went down.

You're spot on when you say if people don't want to watch, quit. And if they only want to pilot that one 'mech, buy a duplicate. If you're skiling it, get a 2nd 'mech you can skill at the same time.

I would say suiciding towards the end of a game is permitted as it's not an "abnormally early death" and in some cases prevents players "needlessly extending the duration of the match".

View PostKodyn, on 27 March 2020 - 06:32 AM, said:

Very occasionally, you do get to spectate a truly entertaining comeback, or at least an attempt. It can be fun, it can be surprising. 99% of the time however, it's minutes of watching someone who can't or won't aim make horrible mistakes and shoot at fresh mechs right next to wide open mechs because they're panicked

I see that as part of the learning curve. By being in that situation they, hopefully, gain a bit of experience and can handle it better the next time around. Even potatoes can improve with practice.

#28 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:19 AM

I guess I just do it differently. When I find myself the last mech, I like to practice my damage spreading and as a by-product I guess give out free damage padding to the OPFOR. I try to engage the enemy team and go for whoever's most open if I can, and keep fighting and twisting as long I have any mech left. It teaches me just how tanky or not my different builds are, how far I can push them, and it's entertaining to manage to dead side tank multiple enemy mechs who can't seem to figure out why you won't die. Also kind of fun picturing their expressions, as I know how I get at the end of a match when we're all out for blood on the last stubborn mech.

Like I said, I've spectated some really entertaining squirrel chases at the end of matches, it's mainly the repeat offenders that get irritating. The people who do it every match, who you know from experience won't turn it around and won't even be fun to watch. I always have another mech to play, sure, but that's not the point. In the end, it's an online F2P title, small population- people are gonna do what they want to have the fun they can at this point. I think some of us are just lamenting the fact that some people's ideas of fun can be the opposite for 23 other people.

#29 Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 498 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:19 AM

The very nature of the Quick solo games lures ppl into the false believe, shooting mech dead is the sole purpose valid. Which is not true. I love the cunning man win the game with his or her wits. Or else trying to survive.

"Ceasing to meaningfully contribute for the remainder of the match ..."

IMO running towards the opposition to get yourself killed, to get over with it, is just that lol

I think role playing and denial in combat is valid.

S!

Edited by Odin, 27 March 2020 - 08:21 AM.

#30 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:27 AM

View PostOdin, on 27 March 2020 - 08:19 AM, said:

The very nature of the Quick solo games lures ppl into the false believe, shooting mech dead is the sole purpose valid. Which is not true. I love the cunning man win the game with his or her wits. Or else trying to survive.

"Ceasing to meaningfully contribute for the remainder of the match ..."

IMO running towards the opposition to get yourself killed, to get over with it, is just that lol

I think role playing and denial in combat is valid.

S!

so.. you'd rather powerdown for 10 minutes and waste 23 people's time and fun. gotcha..
here, for you:

Posted Image

#31 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:54 AM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 27 March 2020 - 08:27 AM, said:

so.. you'd rather powerdown for 10 minutes and waste 23 people's time and fun. gotcha..
here, for you:

No... you run around kitting for 10 minutes with ERLL. Then when it's just you vs 5 reds you keep kiting you're surrounded and within their weapons range, then jump out of bounds. It makes the stat-padders mad they didn't get a free kill.

#32 Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 498 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:18 AM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 27 March 2020 - 08:27 AM, said:

here, for you:

Posted Image

LOL

10 minutes? I doubt it.

#33 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:18 AM

If a person is making an honest attempt at winning the match, I'm all for kiting and the extra time taken for the match.

If they're just running around waiting for the timer to shut down, not even shooting at all, not even bothering to look for the isolated enemies... Screw those people.

#34 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:51 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 27 March 2020 - 10:18 AM, said:

If they're just running around waiting for the timer to shut down, not even shooting at all, not even bothering to look for the isolated enemies... Report those people.

Fixed that for ya. and not that PGI cares, but it's the next best thing to a TK, sadly (which at that point of the game isn't an option anymore, so..)

#35 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:40 PM

They sound like cases where doing so WILL assist you towards victory.
So its OK in my book.

Even accidental Posted Image heat related death, one could say I was assisting my team towards victory. By running Hot or dieing.

#36 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:37 AM

There used to be time when I found such hiding players to be really annoying.

But today? I simply cap their base(s) or center without big thinking and the game is over in a minute.

The only game mode, where this can still be a problem, is Skirmish with no base to cap.

#37 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 03:17 AM

I don't mind it when I see someone actively trying to play and win. That doesn't bother me.

Powering down at the edge of the map because you're hot garbage like Jaxass? Yeah, hope you get a tumor on your butt.

#38 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:41 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 27 March 2020 - 12:54 AM, said:

Or another we-all-know-who in that Marauder IIC with ERLL parked 2km away from both teams doing pretty much nothing.
There's at least two of those. One is remotely useful... sometimes. The other is just a stain on Jade Falcon registry.

#39 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:33 AM

View PostHorseman, on 28 March 2020 - 08:41 AM, said:

There's at least two of those. One is remotely useful... sometimes. The other is just a stain on Jade Falcon registry.

You mean the one with ERLLs and LBX20s which he only uses when his team is up like 9:2? The NZ stain?

#40 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:48 AM

Like I said,remotely sometimes. The other doesn't even understand positioning, Turretwarrior the whole time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users