• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 04:51 AM

View PostB0oN, on 09 April 2020 - 04:29 PM, said:

A good LRM/ATM user is one thing first and foremost :
S E L F S U F F I C I E N T

But I guess it´ll take another 5 years for you to grasp that kind of outlandish concept of playing, dear Dexter .

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 09 April 2020 - 07:52 PM, said:

Of course
Its the only wae to lerm
Backup weapons are zee teamates Posted Image

now you two, quit your yapping and support your L³;
that's right, that's your 'Local Lurm Leech'. grab some TAGs and Narcs.

Let our lights guide his Lurmway* to victory!

*100% perfectly mint-conditioned armor included, Batteries not included, Victory totally assured, though

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 10 April 2020 - 04:53 AM.

#22 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 04:57 AM

View PostJack Booted Thug, on 09 April 2020 - 03:49 AM, said:

Currently equipping narc on all capable mechs for your pleasure.

Currently equipping all capable mechs with as many AMS systems they can carry. For, erm.... My pleasure.

#23 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 05:39 AM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 10 April 2020 - 04:51 AM, said:

now you two, quit your yapping and support your L³;
that's right, that's your 'Local Lurm Leech'. grab some TAGs and Narcs.

Let our lights guide his Lurmway* to victory!

*100% perfectly mint-conditioned armor included, Batteries not included, Victory totally assured, though

Actually sometimes I do
During an event
When all hope is lost
after trying every carry mech I own
to carry teams of lerm leaches
I pull out moi narc summoner
And the land falls to shadow
and we start winning
some how

#24 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:35 AM

Learn to not boat! Or risk your head to get LOS!!!

#25 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 10 April 2020 - 09:12 AM

Is it ok to drive a LRM-boating 100-ton assault mech with an xl200 engine and no backup weapons, sit way behind the team and fire at targets within 100m of the max range of the missiles, while expecting others to hold locks?

Asking for a friend.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 10 April 2020 - 09:17 AM.

#26 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 10 April 2020 - 09:31 AM

View PostCFC Conky, on 10 April 2020 - 09:12 AM, said:

Is it ok to drive a LRM-boating 100-ton assault mech with an xl200 engine and no backup weapons, sit way behind the team and fire at targets within 100m of the max range of the missiles, while expecting others to hold locks?

Asking for a friend.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

this is da wae

#27 MechWarrior2824603

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 09:56 AM

Hello friends,

I have returned from the frontlines of the battlefield and am happy to report many more locks were held. It seems this community is finally realizing the missile boats are the most important mechs on the field and their pilots are courageous heroes bravely leading their men into the fray. Not physically of course, since the importance of my position means I need to be back a bit to survey the battlefield, but spiritually very much so.

If the leaderboards were calibrated correctly you would see my name on top and we could all celebrate my accomplishments, but alas.

I did lose a few matches, but really that's because there weren't enough missiles on the field from the rest of the team. Remember, if you are losing, the answer is always more missiles!

Best,
Humble Dexter

#28 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 10 April 2020 - 11:19 AM

imagine what a plot twist it would be if humble dexter was an alt of......humble dexter Posted Image

#29 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 12:07 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 10 April 2020 - 11:19 AM, said:

imagine what a plot twist it would be if humble dexter was an alt of......humble dexter Posted Image

Posted Image

if that were the case, I'd be shocked and relieved at the same time - giving him a bonus-point for actual humour*

*bonus-points can be used up to prevent accidental team-damage, for example. but ofc these things don't happen in the first place.

#30 Moochachoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:14 PM

Now I know this is a troll post, but I want to say people should atleast try holding locks, it’s not just for LRM, lighting an enemy up reveals their position to everyone on your team, the more mechs lit up on your map the better you can gauge their movement and plan your own.

a lot of the times people are hesitant to push because people refuse to hit R when they engage and everyone fights in the dark.

#31 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:36 PM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 10 April 2020 - 12:07 PM, said:

Posted Image

if that were the case, I'd be shocked and relieved at the same time - giving him a bonus-point for actual humour*

*bonus-points can be used up to prevent accidental team-damage, for example. but ofc these things don't happen in the first place.

I am failing to see any relief anywhere on that poor ape, maybe it's hidden under it's green knitted sweater??

#32 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:53 PM

View PostBiomechtric, on 10 April 2020 - 02:36 PM, said:

I am failing to see any relief anywhere on that poor ape, maybe it's hidden under it's green knitted sweater??

Posted Image

watch it dude! call me an ape once more, and I'll narc you for Dex' here.

you'll never see the Lurm-rain coming, pal..

#33 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 05:37 PM

if you need someone to hold locks for your atms, you are doing it wrong.

#34 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:59 PM

Posted Image

#35 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 01:56 AM

Hmm, my 4las ams Corsair is hungry again. In few factions (especially on Polars) enemy Lrm mechs did something beautiful for my team. I was an umbrella, it was heavy rain. People were close to me, nobody wanted to get wet. Yeah it was hot. Techs were pouring buckets of water on my mech to cool it. Heat bar was jumping like crazy. But I even managed to poke and shoot. Then I was picking in my nose, and looking at the blazing star wars unfolding in front of me. But wait! Where is that "toggle ams" f...king button?! Which one is that? I forgot! That one? Yeah! I need a sec to cool down... Synchronize with their volleys of lrms and turn on amss again. Run to the place, where the lrms fall. It works, if you smart enough. Maybe your arrows will blot out the sun, and then we will fight in the shade, but I'm the light in the shade. What is the record for missiles destroyed in single match?

PS. How is it with AMS ammo? I did some tests in private lobby, one guy was shooting parts of my mech with ams ammo. It looks like it didn't explode. Not sure but... Strange?

Edited by Bistrorider, 11 April 2020 - 01:58 AM.

#36 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 04:58 AM

Kind of confused by the two narratives.

LRMers are the scum of the earth because they are ineffective and their laziness and cowardice in hiding in the back of the herd causes us to lose matches. They should get a real mech and get in the front line and fight like men so we stop losing.

vs

LRMers are the scum of the earth because LRMs make it easy for lazy cowardly players to stand in the back of the other herd and kill us with impunity. They should get a real mech and get in the front line and fight like men. Where we can kill them and stop losing.

Maybe we need MechWarrior Online Interstellar War of Champions (IWOC) mode. Drop 24 identical laser Catapults with no quirks, no skill nodes, no armor, engine, EW, or weapon options, just whatever paint and decals you want and fight it out purely on skill and determination.

#37 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 11 April 2020 - 05:01 AM

I read about LRMs in "The Ancient Art of Welfare".

#38 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 11 April 2020 - 06:21 AM

View PostNearly Dead, on 11 April 2020 - 04:58 AM, said:

Kind of confused by the two narratives.

LRMers are the scum of the earth because they are ineffective and their laziness and cowardice in hiding in the back of the herd causes us to lose matches. They should get a real mech and get in the front line and fight like men so we stop losing.

vs

LRMers are the scum of the earth because LRMs make it easy for lazy cowardly players to stand in the back of the other herd and kill us with impunity. They should get a real mech and get in the front line and fight like men. Where we can kill them and stop losing.

Maybe we need MechWarrior Online Interstellar War of Champions (IWOC) mode. Drop 24 identical laser Catapults with no quirks, no skill nodes, no armor, engine, EW, or weapon options, just whatever paint and decals you want and fight it out purely on skill and determination.

Yes their effectiveness does vary depending on what picture is being painted. Funny, that. I don't play FW so my experience is that they are mostly a bit pants. In Quickplay you need luck of the draw for a couple of competent lurmers who don't separate from the group, plus some lights to tag and narc. Buuut with luck of the draw, you could also demand a couple of UAC Mad cat MKIIs and MPL Wolfhounds, which would probably slaughter the lurmers on most maps.

#39 Konril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 214 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 09:34 AM

Okay, time for a small confession. I am a Tier 2 LRM player. Mind you not exclusively. I do have some gunboats and "laser vomit" mechs to take out to clear challenge objectives and just see for myself what the heck the "big deal" is. But I do win more often using LRMs than with other weapon types.

It's not a big difference, though. For example, I have a Jagermech JM6-S with 3 LRM 10s, a Narc, and set of medium pulse lasers and light machine guns as backup that has a win-loss ratio of 1.24. That's 63 wins, 51 losses over 114 matches. I also have a Jagermech JM6-A with 4 AC2s and a TAG that has a win-loss ratio of 1.19. 70 wins and 59 losses over 129 matches. Incidentally, my best winning mech is Stormcrow SCR-D with 3 LRM 10s, Narc, and an arm full of 1 tag and 3 ER small lasers. 58 wins, 32 losses over 90 matchses, which means a 1.81 W/L. Considering the Stormcrow is the only mech ever to be banned from scouting matches, I think it's the mech itself that's great. My second best is a Spider SCR-D with PPC, TAG, and ECM. 69 wins, 45 losses, so 1.53 W/L, in spite the fact it usually does very little damage. My absolute worst is the Dire Wolf DWF-B. 33 wins, 59 losses, so 0.56 W/L ratio. I just can't find a set of ballistics that can win in spite the fact that it has more room for ballistics than any other Clan mech.

Since the missile balance patch, LRMs haven't felt either overpowered or underpowered to me. However they certainly were bad enough for the veterans to give up on them before that missile patch fixed things. So that early bad reputation is still around, although no longer deserved. In fact, I think the bigger issue is not a bad weapon, but bad players.

One of my favorite bits of wisdom is, "Teamwork is essential. It gives the enemy someone else to shoot." Two mechs with stripped armor is still twice as deadly as a dead mech and an untouched mech. So when the big armored guys get shot down on the front lines and start spectating pristine LRM boats, they tend to get salty. That actually goes the other direction as well. Getting separated from the herd whether deliberately or not is an open invitation for some small or stealthy scout mech to start chewing on your rear. LRM or not, it is much easier to get a squirrel of of someone else's back than it is to get one off of yours, so your best defense against lights is having someone else around that can support you. That will only happen if you stay with your team. (Incidentally, LRMs are actually really good at chewing up squirrels that have gotten on someone else's back.) On a related note, nothing is more frustrating than a team that charges ahead leaving its slower members behind when facing an opponent that actually works together. Unfortunately, both the chargers and the slowpokes are more than happy to point their fingers at each other instead of reflecting what they did wrong. So all the salt just starts accumulating.

And that is the picture I'm seeing.

#40 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 11:47 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 10 April 2020 - 05:37 PM, said:

if you need someone to hold locks for your atms, you are doing it wrong.

Sure, because you can dumb-fire them. Holding locks is for the streaks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users