Zoom

39 replies to this topic

#1 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 05:29 AM

Why can some mechwarrior pilots use the more effective zoom feature and removed access to that effective zoom feature for everyone else?

Edited by Stab Wound, 17 April 2020 - 08:35 PM.

#2 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 16 April 2020 - 05:39 AM

Huh? Like "advanced zoom?" That's on the skill tree now. Unlock it and it's yours.

#3 rook

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 05:39 AM

Are you talking about the "Advanced Zoom" node on the skill tree, Sensor Systems branch?

Because if you are, you need to buy the skills to get you the Advanced Zoom skill on the skill tree, in the Sensor Systems branch.

#4 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 16 April 2020 - 05:41 AM

You're a founder and you've not figured out what the skill maze does? I suppose it is a bit of a mess. Advanced Zoom used to be a module, but then when modules were removed and the skill maze added, Advanced Zoom became a feature unlocked in the Sensors tree, you need four skill points to unlock it.

#5 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 05:46 AM

no..There is a different zoom function that is specifically NOT on the skill tree.

#6 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 06:00 AM

I would not have even remembered this zoom feature was still active until I was back seat watching another pilot after I died .
When they used it..and I cannot stress this enough, it is so ******* effective that you can target mech parts from across the battlefield like a sniper..it reminded me of what a game changer it is!!

#7 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 06:02 AM

What's special about this super duper advanced zoom? Does it just zoom the whole screen in further? Maybe the person you were spectating had a Targeting Computer equiiped - they also increase zoom.

#8 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 06:57 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 16 April 2020 - 06:02 AM, said:

What's special about this super duper advanced zoom? Does it just zoom the whole screen in further? Maybe the person you were spectating had a Targeting Computer equiiped - they also increase zoom.

I have the skill in the skill tree. And a targeting computer that lesser mechs cant access for various reasons like weight but still use the zoom function. At this point You tell me what I'm doing wrong.

#9 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 16 April 2020 - 07:25 AM

The regular 2 levels of zoom is controlled by one key and Advanced Zoom is controlled by a different key. Check your control options to see what that is mapped to. I have mine set to "V" while clicking the middle mouse controls regular zoom.

#10 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:44 AM

View PostStab Wound, on 16 April 2020 - 05:46 AM, said:

no..There is a different zoom function that is specifically NOT on the skill tree.

Incorrect.

You are talking nothing but absolute nonsense.

View PostStab Wound, on 16 April 2020 - 06:39 AM, said:

the skill tree still isnt allowing use of the advanced zoom.

It does. Look under Sensor tree. Costs 4 nodes.

Given you are asking such a question. Probably better you dont use Advanced Zoom, given you are likely to use it at 300m like most other low-skill users

#11 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:00 AM

I only know of three things affecting zoom.

The Z key zoom function, cycling thru normal view and two steps up.

Skill node Advanced Zoom, accessed with the V key.

Equip a Targeting Computer, pay more weight penalty, get a higher percentage of zoom on both of the above.

I have often wondered if it would be possible to use some kind of Windows accessibility type feature to magnify a portion of the screen, outside of the game client. Obviously that would be a cheat and should get someone banned unless they were legit visually impaired. As opposed to morally impaired, or just impaired like so many Saturday evening players.

I assume that the OP has spectated someone doing something unusual. Maybe advanced zoom used by a player with a TC-VII?

#12 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,971 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:17 AM

OP there can be several explanations for what you saw
on one end of the spectrum is a totally stock mech with stock loadouts
on the other end is TC (targeting computer)

take a look (66% adv zoom boost)

Posted Image

hope this helps

Edited by Davegt27, 16 April 2020 - 09:19 AM.

#13 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:29 AM

View PostStab Wound, on 16 April 2020 - 06:57 AM, said:

I have the skill in the skill tree. And a targeting computer that lesser mechs cant access for various reasons like weight but still use the zoom function. At this point You tell me what I'm doing wrong.

It's hard to tell without a bit more info about what you saw through the eyes of the pilot you were spectating. When someone uses Advanced Zoom from the skill tree there are two things to keep in mind - Advanced Zoom is activated using a *different* key to regular zoom, and Advanced Zoom opens inside a small window in the middle of the screen, it does not cause the entire screen to zoom in.

So if the pilot you were spectating activated a zoom where only a small box around their reticule zoomed in, that is Advanced Zoom purchased using skill points from the Sensor tree. To use it you press a different key to regular zoom, so check your settings.

On the other hand, if the pilots *entire view* was zoomed in more than usual, then either they had a heavy targetting computer (zoom modifier increases with TC rank) OR they might have already been close to their opponent. As Ash eluded to, some people enter close quarters combat while zoomed in. It's a painful thing to see.

#14 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:42 AM

@OP
it is in the skilltree / normal zoom is just there / TC exist.

it may not be obvious and PGIs UI is lacking in a lot of areas.. but:
if you'd spent half the time it took writing all these messages to read an answer or 2 .. Posted Image

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 16 April 2020 - 09:43 AM.

#15 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:01 AM

Settings

Keyboard

Zoom should be "Z"

Advanced Zoom should be "V"

It sounds more and more like someone with Advanced Zoom and a maxed out targeting computer. You should see a Window in a Window view, like one of those rectangular hand held magnifiers pop up on the screen when you press the V key. And yes, you can target an arm or leg from the maximum range of most weapons.

#16 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 16 April 2020 - 05:59 PM

I'm worried that we'll see a SPL Flea using Adv. Zoom now.

#17 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 06:12 PM

Well hopefully he figured out what he saw, have you solved the great Super Advanced Zoom Mystery of 2020, OP?

#18 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:13 PM

So many years... so little clue... Posted Image

#19 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 11:21 PM

The cream of MWO crop these days...

OP, use whatever works. If it takes adv. zoom to hit a target at 300 m, just do it and hit the thing. If there is anything that helps you make a meaningful contribution in the outcome of the match, go straight for it and contribute. Cooller was not born a champion, he worked decades to get there, and while this game may not have such a lifespan everyone can improve, and everyone needs to start at some point - some point that brings results.

#20 w4ldO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 296 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 12:36 AM

View PostSniper09121986, on 16 April 2020 - 11:21 PM, said:

Cooller was not born a champion, he worked decades to get there

what an awefully specific example.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users