Combined Queues - Discoveries Week 1

344 replies to this topic

#121 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 06:53 AM

View PostNearly Dead, on 06 May 2020 - 03:37 AM, said:

Interesting. I had no idea actual player numbers were public, (outside of Jarls List.)

Community Hub on Steam shows current players. Since numbers for the standalone client are not available, you gotta roughly double that (unless theres a new unofficial ratio) to get an idea how many players are online.

Edited by Dakkalistic, 06 May 2020 - 06:54 AM.

#122 Spare Knight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationAlso StankDog the damp

Posted 06 May 2020 - 08:27 AM

Last night, I couldn't sleep, so I decided to login and farm some Energy and Missile damage for the latest event. This meant that I was in every game with elite units. If I was on the losing side, I died in short order. If I was on the winning side, I died in short order. Either way, I had to endure comments like, "You can't fix stupid!" and other derogatory remarks about having to play with everyone that is not a 1%er. The worst part is near the end of each match, when the blame must be cast on others. I finally had enough and went back to bed. When I woke up at 5am, they were still at it.

I lost ~50 Average Match Score in a few hours of game play. Red down arrow after red down arrow and my tier bar never dropped.

The good news was they all went to bed and the servers returned to their normal friendly state. Posted Image

#123 wasder undapants

• Pip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 08:39 AM

View PostSpare Knight, on 06 May 2020 - 08:27 AM, said:

Last night, I couldn't sleep, so I decided to login and farm some Energy and Missile damage for the latest event. This meant that I was in every game with elite units. If I was on the losing side, I died in short order. If I was on the winning side, I died in short order. Either way, I had to endure comments like, "You can't fix stupid!" and other derogatory remarks about having to play with everyone that is not a 1%er. The worst part is near the end of each match, when the blame must be cast on others. I finally had enough and went back to bed. When I woke up at 5am, they were still at it.

I lost ~50 Average Match Score in a few hours of game play. Red down arrow after red down arrow and my tier bar never dropped.

The good news was they all went to bed and the servers returned to their normal friendly state. Posted Image

That's not good to hear, I've been dropping both Solo and in 2/3 man groups and it's been a similar mixed bag throughout. Some stomps and some very close matches but mostly somewhere in the middle.

Maybe it's not the game that's broken, maybe its the [redacted] who you came across that are broken... having said that, let's get a better PSR!!

#124 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 06 May 2020 - 08:39 AM

View PostLarsh, on 06 May 2020 - 04:36 AM, said:

Maybe, but wouldn't that sudden experience of seeing a single mech dominate the team give a real time visual on what mech to focus down?
Hahaha, no. By the time that becomes noticeable in the match it will be too late to do anything about it.

In the heat of battle, IRL, you may not know your enemy and their background.
If you know the enemy by their reputation you have some idea what to expect from them.

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 06 May 2020 - 06:24 AM, said:

I totally agree.. and yet some high level players want to coddle you guys. I always said this so-up queue would lower the learning curve because it DOES expose you early on to what more experienced players are piloting and how and where they move on each map.
Reality is that throwing children into 20ft deep end of the pool doesn't teach them swim faster.

#125 Larsh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 272 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYinz all going to EnP at PGH n'at?

Posted 06 May 2020 - 08:45 AM

View PostSpare Knight, on 06 May 2020 - 08:27 AM, said:

I was in every game with elite units. If I was on the losing side, I died in short order. If I was on the winning side, I died in short order. Either way, I had to endure comments like, "You can't fix stupid!" and other derogatory remarks about having to play with everyone that is not a 1%er. The worst part is near the end of each match, when the blame must be cast on others. I finally had enough and went back to bed. When I woke up at 5am, they were still at it.

From any player skill that is poor in-game etiquette.
Sorry you had to deal with that.

View PostHorseman, on 06 May 2020 - 08:39 AM, said:

Hahaha, no. By the time that becomes noticeable in the match it will be too late to do anything about it.

Heh, you might be right. I am assuming that proper skilled players would be matched up at some point, and players would use proper communication channels to work as a team.

#126 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 06 May 2020 - 08:48 AM

View PostHorseman, on 06 May 2020 - 08:39 AM, said:

Reality is that throwing children into 20ft deep end of the pool doesn't teach them swim faster.

You don't want it bad enough then.. you're destined for mediocrity.. up to you to change it..

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 06 May 2020 - 08:49 AM.

#127 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 08:54 AM

View Postbilagaana, on 05 May 2020 - 02:59 PM, said:

It is interesting to me that PGI is expending any resources whatsoever on MWO. The consensus among the user base (or, at least, those who are most active on this forum) was that it had been abandoned. Perhaps, the prognosis is not as grim as we assumed?

The new consoles are comming out in Winter 2020/2021.
The Mech Assault Games have had a good fanbase, and making a X-Box port of Mechwarrior 5 with a better good multiplayer than MWO would be a sensible idea...
Posted Image

#128 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 09:40 AM

View Postbilagaana, on 05 May 2020 - 02:59 PM, said:

It is interesting to me that PGI is expending any resources whatsoever on MWO. The consensus among the user base (or, at least, those who are most active on this forum) was that it had been abandoned. Perhaps, the prognosis is not as grim as we assumed?

View PostAlreech, on 06 May 2020 - 08:54 AM, said:

The new consoles are comming out in Winter 2020/2021.
The Mech Assault Games have had a good fanbase, and making a X-Box port of Mechwarrior 5 with a better good multiplayer than MWO would be a sensible idea...
Posted Image

PGI's Mechwarrior™ licence has been extended for five more years recently, so one would think we would see some sort of roadmap by now. Without a roadmap or indeed any feedback other than "just keep playing, don't worry about it" that actually came BEFORE licence extension, there is no telling what they think or plan to do. So motivating, much confidence Posted Image

#129 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 09:54 AM

View PostSniper09121986, on 06 May 2020 - 09:40 AM, said:

PGI's Mechwarrior™ licence has been extended for five more years recently, so one would think we would see some sort of roadmap by now. Without a roadmap or indeed any feedback other than "just keep playing, don't worry about it" that actually came BEFORE licence extension, there is no telling what they think or plan to do. So motivating, much confidence Posted Image

That doesn't mean that this license includes ports to X-Box or even PS 5.

Maybe Microsoft is interested in a Mech Assault Game for the new X-Box.
IMHO its not a very high chance, and i don't think M$ (without the old FASA Interactive staff) would make a be better Mechwarrior Gamen than PGI.

#130 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 10:41 AM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 06 May 2020 - 08:48 AM, said:

You don't want it bad enough then.. you're destined for mediocrity.. up to you to change it..

Why are you so dismissive of other players? I mean, I know why you like this change, your WLR has improved nearly 100% since you got to start dropping in OP groups so you get to stroke your ego. But I'll bet your WLR would've _dropped_ if you only dropped solo like a lot of these guys expressing concerns. So quit pulling the high and mighty spiel. You obviously like stomping pugs, and you're trying to peddle a kinder, gentler "git gud" argument to make yourself feel better about it. Instead you could be working at making things better as a whole like many of the elite players (some from your own unit!) are trying to do. Disgusting.

#131 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 10:48 AM

From Russ today on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/...733182763307008

"Match quality within 3% of pre-merge....."

You keep using that term "match quality", I do not think it means what you think it means...

But, hey let me know when you want to actually share some data on match quality - not PSR or tonnage balance.

#132 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 333 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 11:34 AM

For those counting players through steam, and PGI launcher, I have to say, I am +1. Reason, I launch mechwarrior in offline mode through steam. Why, well, I play using a mobile hotspt and needless to say, steam is annoying at times!

#133 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 11:46 AM

View PostAnomalocaris, on 06 May 2020 - 10:48 AM, said:

You keep using that term "match quality", I do not think it means what you think it means...

But, hey let me know when you want to actually share some data on match quality - not PSR or tonnage balance.

Yeah, it would be extremely helpful to know what this actually means, or better yet see some data that's actually broken down.

Like the distribution of various match results (12-0, 12-1, 12-2, etc.), and even the distribution of those results in matches with groups and those without (assuming there are matches without groups).

That still wouldn't tell us qualitatively what those matches are like, but player feedback can give some sense of that. For my part the average match I've been in since this change is a 12-4, and I've dropped in a group of 2, 3, or 4 (as well as a couple times solo at the end of last month), with players ranging from like 80th percentile on Jarl's to the very top, and with some players very dedicated to stacking wins, and a few players less interested in meta or teamplay.

#134 Spare Knight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 12:50 PM

View PostSwamp *** MkII, on 06 May 2020 - 11:34 AM, said:

For those counting players through steam, and PGI launcher, I have to say, I am +1. Reason, I launch mechwarrior in offline mode through steam. Why, well, I play using a mobile hotspt and needless to say, steam is annoying at times!

I recently uninstalled the Steam version and went with the PGI Launcher. Much better performance from what I can tell. Disclaimer: Did not run before and after tests. Just feel.

Edited by Spare Knight, 06 May 2020 - 12:52 PM.

#135 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 06 May 2020 - 01:45 PM

View PostSpare Knight, on 06 May 2020 - 12:50 PM, said:

I recently uninstalled the Steam version and went with the PGI Launcher. Much better performance from what I can tell. Disclaimer: Did not run before and after tests. Just feel.

Just turn off the Steam Overlay, that's what's affecting performance.

#136 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 01:46 PM

View PostAnomalocaris, on 06 May 2020 - 10:48 AM, said:

yeah, I'll agree with Russ that only 3% of the matches are "quality matches" post merge and the data Russ is providing 100% backs up my claim.

#137 Spare Knight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 02:37 PM

View PostLarsh, on 06 May 2020 - 08:45 AM, said:

From any player skill that is poor in-game etiquette.
Sorry you had to deal with that.

Don't get me wrong though. I am an old guy with a thick skin, so I can handle it, but those comments were not just aimed at me. They were meant for everyone on the team who was not a member of their group. It all boils down to the fact that they have to blame someone, because at the end of the game, they can never admit that the other team was just better. Do newer players want to be treated this way in a game that they are trying to learn? Absolutely not.

As adults we have to hold ourselves to a higher standard than this. It was like playing with a bunch of 13 year old bullies.

I go out of my way to try to teach the newbies how to use the R and E keys and why we do it. It's not just to help the LURM BOATS. We have to tell them where to go and why we need to be there. In the beginning, it is hard enough for a new player to learn how to get his mech pointed in the correct direction and that part is much easier than learning where to be and more importantly, where not to be on the battlefield. If we want new players to come join us, we have to make them feel welcomed.

#138 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 06 May 2020 - 03:17 PM

View PostAnomalocaris, on 06 May 2020 - 10:41 AM, said:

Why are you so dismissive of other players? I mean, I know why you like this change, your WLR has improved nearly 100% since you got to start dropping in OP groups so you get to stroke your ego. But I'll bet your WLR would've _dropped_ if you only dropped solo like a lot of these guys expressing concerns. So quit pulling the high and mighty spiel. You obviously like stomping pugs, and you're trying to peddle a kinder, gentler "git gud" argument to make yourself feel better about it. Instead you could be working at making things better as a whole like many of the elite players (some from your own unit!) are trying to do. Disgusting.

I was just pointing out the difference between myself when I was new to the game, and him.. I craved a challenge, wanted to run with the big boys.. he avoids it.. hence destined for mediocrity.. not being dismissive.. just honest..

Some people would view this as generous for pointing it out, opening his eyes.. others as abrupt or rude.. take it as you wish..

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 06 May 2020 - 03:21 PM.

#139 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 03:55 PM

Latest quote from Russ on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/...164387300302849

"[color=inherit]Well that sounded pretty rude - I am simply comparing pre separation to post separation in a few ways. Honestly there isn't much reason to dive deeper as the pop simply won't support the separate queues any longer. It's this or perhaps going to smaller group sizes."[/color]

My takeaway? This was never an experiment that was going to be reverted if it didn't work. The signs were there earlier and this is a confirmation. So, once again, PGI execs lied their butts off to the population. If you truly believed that the population wouldn't support both queues and group was already dead with the exception of the 8v8 spike, you shoulda just dumped it Russ. Like Scouting for example.....

[color=inherit]

So much hate right now.

[/color]

#140 Spare Knight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 04:39 PM

So, what we have is what we get. It won't get any better.

It doesn't sound good, but the seal clubbers can club till the servers shut down. After the experience of last night, I'm calling it quits. I can find something better to do with my time. I just wish I had not spent so much money on something that was exhaling its last breath. It's like buying a used car to find out that the owner never changed the oil.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users