86 replies to this topic

#21 Johnathan Tanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 899 posts
  • LocationCurrently dodging the pugs war crimes tribunal

Posted 07 May 2020 - 12:54 AM

Its sad to say, But the reality of this day and age of the game is that simply shouting "Git Gud Trash tier" Is no longer necessary or helpful.

Back in the day. That statement would have real weight because of things like, "Faction Pride"
"Unit Pride" "Comradere". These were really important factors driving tactics the meta and the pace at which it shifted. THESE THINGS WERE ALL DESTROYED BY PGI.

#22 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 12:55 AM

View PostJohnathan Tanner, on 07 May 2020 - 12:45 AM, said:

Unfortunately, Both of these statements are true....
I miss old CW. I miss playing all the top tier units and all the various strategies they used. Now I play and everyone does the same **** every match and acts like it proves anything. I'm not gonna give someone a ******* cookie cause they formed a 12 man and rolled a mostly pug team then talked **** in chat. Either teach the new guys or let them learn or their own but stop acting so goddam smug and self-important. We get so few people willing to try FP, mist of them will listen even if they don't have the mechs or skills to win but they try so chasing them off is not only self-defeating for players who like the mode but it's also supremely immature in a game where the ages skew up. I play high school kids in ranked games on the Xbox who talk less **** than some of the people in this game and that's goddam sad.

#23 Johnathan Tanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 899 posts
  • LocationCurrently dodging the pugs war crimes tribunal

Posted 07 May 2020 - 01:21 AM

View Postccrider, on 07 May 2020 - 12:55 AM, said:

Either teach the new guys or let them learn or their own

I think this is the core of the issue, What remains of the old guard dosent want to train a new gen for the 4th time. But on the other hand, what remains of the old guard wants to stick together and try to relive the days of true glory.....And they will fail whilst blaming there newer player opponents of being s*** tier, whilst not understanding that the crucible that made us no longer exists.
THANKS TO PGI

#24 Aivazovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 02:16 AM

Either teach the new guys or let them learn or their own
This is the essence of your mistake and salt. You come from the mistaken assumption that people want to learn. They are not. Maybe 5-10%. But these 5-10% do not complain, do not talk about global things from the height of their low competence, but ask - how i can get better?

if you think a little deeper than “i want more people in FP”, you will understand that the psychology of most people is simple: even the best guide will not help them. "do not reinforce" - soooo hard to understand, huh? what are you talking about?

let them learn or their own
This is how the meme players came about: Kaukas, Humble, stst, Fluch des Schlachtfeldes, tracker10 etc. I am satisfiedPosted Image

Edited by Aivazovsky, 07 May 2020 - 02:17 AM.

#25 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 02:26 AM

Nobody says u cant learn on your own. Just u need to be prepared for the 20+ looses in a row that will follow. If I am dropping solo I prob win around 30% of the matches. Most simply expect much higher w/l to have fun and stay with the mode. Damn op wants to throw because of one! bad match.
Invest your time in a guide if u want. Yondu already put a small one up. But it's just so much easier to teach the basics in a group, by actually doing things. The 2 drop decks even if not full meta, is still a strong suggestion. A polar match without a proper drop deck is just...

I rly want new players in the mode. And most groups pick up everyone willing to listen the calls. But there need 2 be own encouragement as well.

#26 Paul Meyers DEST

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 539 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 03:01 AM

As Ignatius said multiple times, dont join fp when you dont have atleast 2 Dropdecks. It would be nice if the OP would post its dropdecks with loadouts.

And no one should laugh at Awesomes :D

#27 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 03:10 AM

I dont even know if it wasnt our guys rolling him. We often run 3-4 hppc awesomes ;)

#28 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 07 May 2020 - 03:12 AM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 07 May 2020 - 02:26 AM, said:

Nobody says u cant learn on your own. Just u need to be prepared for the 20+ looses in a row that will follow. If I am dropping solo I prob win around 30% of the matches. Most simply expect much higher w/l to have fun and stay with the mode. Damn op wants to throw because of one! bad match.
Invest your time in a guide if u want. Yondu already put a small one up. But it's just so much easier to teach the basics in a group, by actually doing things. The 2 drop decks even if not full meta, is still a strong suggestion. A polar match without a proper drop deck is just...

I rly want new players in the mode. And most groups pick up everyone willing to listen the calls. But there need 2 be own encouragement as well.

The majority of people who play FP will dip their toes in solo before committing to a unit. Realistically they should have no expectations to win but they will be expecting to enjoy the match. If their first experience is being roflstomped by a clan of spawn killing try-hards where's the enjoyment? I do think he should give it a few more matches before rage-quitting though.

Sure, we can blame OP for not joining a unit and not spending several hours reading guides, but the real problem is the unit who showed a distinct lack of sportsmanship and deliberately ruined the game for the other team. If OP got pulled into a competitive match between two 8-mans, fair enough, all bets are off and blood is in the water. But when it's premade vs. pugs they should have the decency to give their opponents a fighting chance.

#29 Paul Meyers DEST

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 539 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 03:25 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 07 May 2020 - 03:12 AM, said:

The majority of people who play FP will dip their toes in solo before committing to a unit. Realistically they should have no expectations to win but they will be expecting to enjoy the match. If their first experience is being roflstomped by a clan of spawn killing try-hards where's the enjoyment? I do think he should give it a few more matches before rage-quitting though.

Sure, we can blame OP for not joining a unit and not spending several hours reading guides, but the real problem is the unit who showed a distinct lack of sportsmanship and deliberately ruined the game for the other team. If OP got pulled into a competitive match between two 8-mans, fair enough, all bets are off and blood is in the water. But when it's premade vs. pugs they should have the decency to give their opponents a fighting chance.

But still, You get a warning, You drop solo in a group mode. You dont have the right mechs. You start Whining-Thread in the forums.
I will never get it.

And whining about spawnkilling ...

#30 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 03:25 AM

Has nothing to do with sportmansship. if its is pugs vs premade u have to pull them out of their spawns. Otherwise u see no red.

#31 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 07 May 2020 - 03:54 AM

View PostPaul Meyers DEST, on 07 May 2020 - 03:25 AM, said:

But still, You get a warning, You drop solo in a group mode. You dont have the right mechs. You start Whining-Thread in the forums.
I will never get it.

And whining about spawnkilling ...

You don't need the right mechs to have a fun game. It can help though, think my Clan scouting is till a viper.......

People will always whine, whether its for the right reasons or not is a different issue. Complaining you lost is silly. Complaining about spawn-killing is valid. There's a reason most games implement a mechanic to reduce/avoid this. PGI's "solution" was to give the dropship a single LL when really it should have a little more kick.

Armament: 2 x PPCs, 3 x LRM-20s, 7 x Medium Lasers, 5 x Large Lasers

Now THAT would stop spawnkilling.

#32 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 03:57 AM

And lead to more spawncamping...
if u are getting spawnkilled u lost the fight already. Maybe u just didnt realise.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 07 May 2020 - 03:58 AM.

#33 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 07 May 2020 - 04:03 AM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 07 May 2020 - 03:57 AM, said:

And lead to more spawncamping...
if u are getting spawnkilled u lost the fight already. Maybe u just didnt realise.

If spawn camping is an issue go for the objective. You don't have to kill everyone.

#34 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 04:20 AM

to dunk or not 2 dunk that is here the question Posted Image

or just nope. A: here 2 kill mechs. B: modes without objective than slaughter red.

if u still have a fighting chance just take command and change lance.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 07 May 2020 - 04:28 AM.

#35 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 07 May 2020 - 05:42 AM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 07 May 2020 - 12:32 AM, said:

@ hellbringer u learned father hard way. Not many are willing to loose 20 in a row without a chance and 300 like dmg.

I lose more than I win even today. I almost never join a group (because I always just queue up and alt tab out, don’t wanna deal with that everyone “ready” bs) and I’m a wolf loyalist so it’s even less flexible for high end groups who bounce around regularly.

It’s strange how most new players who are playing faction always end up on clan side and you hear all these sad comments
- I’ve never won a fp match
- I’ve never seen attackers win this map (boreal vault for example)
- I don’t know what to bring
- what’s the plan (followed by some stupid comments like gitgud, kill the red guys, etc)

Just sad man. Fp community is more toxic than it needs to be and one of the reasons why our match’s are stale and boring. One of the best fp games I had recently was a pug / pug siege with only 2 big names on each side. Ended up being really close and even though the big names were all able to farm 3k damage, they also were able to rally the new guys around them and create a good makeshift team.

#36 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 08:06 AM

That is the strange impression u get by playing only solo clan. There are many IS starters as well. In fact chances for bad pugs, are more or less equal on both sides of the fence (prob even worst IS pugs).

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 07 May 2020 - 09:16 AM.

#37 Bjorn Coston

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 09:33 AM

I think the issue with this thread is that @OP stated they will never come back and uses one match and a claim to have google searched (or whatever their source is) Faction Play and how dead it is to support their justification to leaving while taking little accountability on their own to be receptive to help or seek it out while calling the game mode broken. With this individual, the battle is lost. We didn't validate their obviously well-thought out and researched study of FP and yet they kept posting.

Is the mode perfect? No of course not. Are a lot of us still here and playing after all these years though? Yes. And still there are new pilots joining FP who actually want to put in the effort and learn and there are plenty of threads of pilots doing just that (asking for help and advice) and hats off to them. But to play one match, do a few search tab quests and then start a salt thread will get no sympathy or validation from me.

Edit: I honestly do wish him better luck if he ever decides to come back and give FP another perhaps longer and more dedicated try next time.

Edited by Bjorn Bekker, 07 May 2020 - 09:36 AM.

#38 amisu

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 09:41 AM

Faction play is horrible. You get paired with derp pugs and get absolutely destroyed by small groups.

#39 Leadpaintchips

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 08:45 PM

View PostBjorn Bekker, on 07 May 2020 - 09:33 AM, said:

I think the issue with this thread is that @OP stated they will never come back and uses one match and a claim to have google searched (or whatever their source is) Faction Play and how dead it is to support their justification to leaving while taking little accountability on their own to be receptive to help or seek it out while calling the game mode broken. With this individual, the battle is lost. We didn't validate their obviously well-thought out and researched study of FP and yet they kept posting.

Is the mode perfect? No of course not. Are a lot of us still here and playing after all these years though? Yes. And still there are new pilots joining FP who actually want to put in the effort and learn and there are plenty of threads of pilots doing just that (asking for help and advice) and hats off to them. But to play one match, do a few search tab quests and then start a salt thread will get no sympathy or validation from me.

Edit: I honestly do wish him better luck if he ever decides to come back and give FP another perhaps longer and more dedicated try next time.

I barely saw anyone even attempt to give anything other than a 'git gud' or 'lul get friends' advice. Yes, I didn't clarify really anything because the OP was just a initial rage post, and it took about a full page of replies before anyone even thought about asking what my deck was, and by that time I knew that I wasn't going to post it just because of the tone of the responses I got already.

I did look up both FP and Solaris before I dipped my toes into either one because of that initial warning popup, and the most common thing I read was how long the queues were. Nothing talking about decks, tactics, or anything else. Solaris seemed like the typical 1v1/2v2 epeen waving, and that's not my thing (nothing against those who is, if that's your jam go for it) so I haven't even attempted that. Faction play, with the persistent map and various rewards, sounded more like what I want outside of QP so I figured I'd give it a go. There wasn't much discussion within the last year other than the wait times being horribly long (and I had a smoke while waiting for the queue, so my anecdotal experience supported that).

That first impression that I got from just one match, where a full team just rolled, again to clarify, a single lance by dropping assaults and pushing right up to spawn and spawn camped their way through almost another lances full deck was horrible. Why was this even allowed in the design phase? I'm as ok as someone can be with having a well coordinated team rolling over a bunch of pugs thrown together, but this was something else.

Like I know I can improve in play. I have made that clear so far. But I can't think of anything that I could've done to turn around another's spawn being camped by 4 Awesomes. That's a lot of armor to chew through and what little I was able to do against them showed that they were actually coordinated enough to turn as one on me.

But the responses I got here is either git gud or find friends. So if I'm on the lower end of skill currently, not interested in finding a group as of yet, and still working my way through my mechs, I should just not do FP? Would've been a better response than the page of responses that I got.

#40 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 10:07 PM

View PostLeadpaintchips, on 07 May 2020 - 08:45 PM, said:

I barely saw anyone even attempt to give anything other than a 'git gud' or 'lul get friends' advice. Yes, I didn't clarify really anything because the OP was just a initial rage post, and it took about a full page of replies before anyone even thought about asking what my deck was, and by that time I knew that I wasn't going to post it just because of the tone of the responses I got already.

I did look up both FP and Solaris before I dipped my toes into either one because of that initial warning popup, and the most common thing I read was how long the queues were. Nothing talking about decks, tactics, or anything else. Solaris seemed like the typical 1v1/2v2 epeen waving, and that's not my thing (nothing against those who is, if that's your jam go for it) so I haven't even attempted that. Faction play, with the persistent map and various rewards, sounded more like what I want outside of QP so I figured I'd give it a go. There wasn't much discussion within the last year other than the wait times being horribly long (and I had a smoke while waiting for the queue, so my anecdotal experience supported that).

That first impression that I got from just one match, where a full team just rolled, again to clarify, a single lance by dropping assaults and pushing right up to spawn and spawn camped their way through almost another lances full deck was horrible. Why was this even allowed in the design phase? I'm as ok as someone can be with having a well coordinated team rolling over a bunch of pugs thrown together, but this was something else.

Like I know I can improve in play. I have made that clear so far. But I can't think of anything that I could've done to turn around another's spawn being camped by 4 Awesomes. That's a lot of armor to chew through and what little I was able to do against them showed that they were actually coordinated enough to turn as one on me.

But the responses I got here is either git gud or find friends. So if I'm on the lower end of skill currently, not interested in finding a group as of yet, and still working my way through my mechs, I should just not do FP? Would've been a better response than the page of responses that I got.
Here, let me give you some actual decent advice. One: as a newer player this whole 2 decks thing is crap. Find 1 deck that you do well in (don't set a damage number like 1000 a match, set a goal to improve your numbers each match till you hit 1000-2000, there's no rush.) Use that deck constantly till you get up into decent numbers for damage, kills etc. Preferably pick something thats good mid-range, most maps cater to that and if you need to brawl, midrange weapons are better at it than long range. 2. Talk to people on your team. Any good player will give advice. If they act like a ****, mute them. Keep talking to people until you find a few who are helpful. It will also help you make friends so you can drop with a group without committing to a unit. 3. Remember that even while your learning and getting rolled, your earning LP and that'll get you extra mechs bays so it's never useless to play FP as a newer player.

O7, welcome to FP.

Edited by ccrider, 07 May 2020 - 10:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users