Returning Player Rage

86 replies to this topic

#61 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:03 PM

The od numbers are not so bad in faction, because of the solos. Other than that lots of bad ideas

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 13 May 2020 - 12:30 AM.

#62 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 12 May 2020 - 10:58 PM

View PostLeadpaintchips, on 06 May 2020 - 04:42 PM, said:

Ah yes, there are no discussions only arguments on the internet. The advice that I've seen is 'git gud' so far in this thread, with only one that even considered that there's a problem with the system. And yes, I did stop playing after that one game. Turned off notifications and will not look back.

View PostLeadpaintchips, on 05 May 2020 - 08:12 PM, said:

So after years of being away, came back a couple of days ago. Figure I'd give Faction Play a go, and my first experience in it was rage inducing.

Our team dropped in a spread of tonnage, while we had one of the drops on the other team just running Awesomes, and they were coordinated. They ran right up to the middle spawn and spawn camped the poor souls there, completely disregarding everything else. When they finally got put down, the whole group spawned as Awesomes yet again and moved to the next spawn point, which unfortunately was mine. We got spawn camped and destroyed.

In short, I'm never going to touch faction play again, and I'm not surprised that there's plenty who say that it's dead if this can occur.

Reading through your opening post, you didn't exactly start this thread with the intention of seeking assistance so how do you expect people to respond.

There are some here that have thrown in a bunch of advice and suggestions even though you never asked for it.
Otherwise your opening remarks are only being met with the same attitude you have presented.

Unfortunately, the mode has changed significantly from the initial concept and never really made it near what the initial 'verbal' description of it was going to be.
It really is quick play on steroids.
We don't even use the map any more.

Edited by 50 50, 12 May 2020 - 11:07 PM.

#63 C H E E K I E Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 540 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:15 PM

Found a few more for you Kal, We used be a good community.

Edit: I believe the community used to be kept in check because of your unit. When units mattered, you didn't do ******* things because being kicked from a unit, or what unit you were in was massive. You didnt CW if you wernt in a good one. God if you thought pub stomps were bad now. You guys have NO idea how good you have it, compared to ONLY siege 24/7, against 12DG/LORDS/MS/228/NKVA/DHB/PKRL/EVIL/RCW/. Have had many many many games when i was learning that were 0-48.

Walking into kodiak fire lines with XL warhammers/black knights. you think you know pain because oh no the blood asp?

Imagine a 100t Kodiak with ARMOR QUIRKS, more agile than a 75Ton orion, and could mount 4x uac10's with 0 ghost heat.

Get outta here carebears <3

https://clips.twitch...cataDoritosChip

https://clips.twitch...ggetsBloodTrail

Edited by C H E E K I E Z, 13 May 2020 - 05:50 PM.

#64 D R E A D

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:00 PM

View PostC H E E K I E Z, on 13 May 2020 - 12:15 PM, said:

Imagine a 100t Kodiak with ARMOR QUIRKS, more agile than a 75Ton orion, and could mount 4x uac10's with 0 ghost heat.

Get outta here carebears <3

I'm glad that after a few years being gone, the very first thread clicked on has this mofo Cheekiez preaching the gospel. Never change.

I fondly 'member FP looking like replays of Mike Ditka and the 85 Bears

#65 C H E E K I E Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 540 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:00 AM

View PostD R E A D, on 14 May 2020 - 07:00 PM, said:

I'm glad that after a few years being gone, the very first thread clicked on has this mofo Cheekiez preaching the gospel. Never change.

I fondly 'member FP looking like replays of Mike Ditka and the 85 Bears

<3

#66 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 18 May 2020 - 07:12 PM

View PostGweNTLeR, on 06 May 2020 - 11:53 PM, said:

EDIT: found it. Yeah, pretty nice guide, but still not exactly what is necessary. It only covers tactical questions.

The tactical questions were the ones I felt needed the most addressing at the time. It was written back when we had tonnes of new blood flooding the queues for the... Second Tukkayid Event I believe. Lotta folk complicit in their own defeats asking what went wrong, so I tried to break it down best I could. What, pray tell, do you think should be added for a full on introduction? No need to write it, just, you know, salient points that would help?

Oh, and, as requested, here is a link as well as a few other guides I've made thrown in as a bonus.

https://mwomercs.com...er-by-leone/]CW Primer[/url]
https://mwomercs.com...ht/]Alternative Light Tactics.[/url]
https://mwomercs.com...emy/]Assualting thy Enemies[/url]

~Leone, of Kell's Commandos

#67 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 03:07 AM

View PostLeone, on 18 May 2020 - 07:12 PM, said:

What, pray tell, do you think should be added for a full on introduction? No need to write it, just, you know, salient points that would help?

As a tactical guide - is it good, no doubts. But it is not good for starters. I'd rather emphasize on more general questions which could be obvious for an experienced player, but not for starter.
Such as:
1) a match actually starts before drop. Ask people from your friend list to play together and cooperate with them!
2) if you dont know how to play a map - ask before drop. Even if you think you know-ask. A single long or close line before drop can dramatically improve your performance.
3) stick with your lance;
4) you cannot go wrong with erppc as a clanner, so 4 erppc mechs could be considered a budget all-around dropdeck for any map; - this is a cheapest way to start playing fw as a clanner.
5) if your performance is somewhat lacking - you should add ams for your mech if possible. This won't affect your performance greatly, but would help your team survive.
6) never use lams as IS, and try not to use lams on clan.
7) never use builds with more then 2 weapon groups (*unless you can do 2k damage easily in fp match); try to stick to single weapon group builds if possible. You don't really need additional complexity.
8) use command wheel! Target spotted is one of the most useful tools for focusing mechs.
9) etc...
(This is my humble opinion and some people might found it wrong. I use it as an example of what could be written)

Also general info on maps and how to play them (basically what Yondu wrote in his guide).
Maybe some info on good builds, but not too much (remember, the guide is for starters!)

Edited by GweNTLeR, 19 May 2020 - 03:10 AM.

#68 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 19 May 2020 - 09:33 PM

I’ve noticed some fresh faces in fp. Might be due to Covid or might just be the old guard is finally helping out the newer guys. Either way kudos.

#69 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:22 AM

View PostZirconium Kaze, on 05 May 2020 - 11:01 PM, said:

They could literally fix this by randomizing spawns.

Since there's not enough FP groups to have a separate group queue, PGI could fix this by splitting the week between days with groups (weekends ? ) and days without groups (weekdays ? ).

PGI could also fix this by ~doubling the gains of full 12-man vs 12-man matches, at which point groups might start actively seeking each other instead of actively avoiding each other to benefit from those ~double gains... Of course this would mean no ~double gains for everyone else, unless they group up too...

Then there's the midway solution where you get double gains just for facing an enemy 12-man (including 12-man vs 12-man), which would incentivize players to stay and playing against 12-men, and maybe event attract top individual players to the ungrouped teams instead of the 12-man groups.

It's more like there's plenty of ways to reduce the incentive to farm pugs to maximize gains (in both fun and earnings), and transform FP into more of a challenge then a standard pug stomp, but PGI hasn't implemented any.

An easy start : Have one day of the week with group creation disabled, then ask players if they want to move or remove that day, or add one more.

Edited by Warning incoming Humble Dexterer, 24 May 2020 - 06:42 AM.

#70 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:06 AM

go mw5

#71 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:56 PM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 24 May 2020 - 09:06 AM, said:

go mw5

You should have made that smug comment a few years ago, back when I was warning that MWO would run out of players to keep the updates coming if PGI didn't fix MWO's massive group-farming problem.

#72 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:19 PM

View PostWarning incoming Humble Dexterer, on 24 May 2020 - 06:22 AM, said:

Since there's not enough FP groups to have a separate group queue, PGI could fix this by splitting the week between days with groups (weekends ? ) and days without groups (weekdays ? ).

What are the benefits of removing groups from a gamemode with a lot of groups in it? Sure you stop the possibility of 12 man stacks rolling in and stomping, but you also kill the pug groups that form to either get matchers quicker or to play with a team they can rely on to perform well.

#73 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:17 PM

View PostWarning incoming Humble Dexterer, on 24 May 2020 - 04:56 PM, said:

You should have made that smug comment a few years ago, back when I was warning that MWO would run out of players to keep the updates coming if PGI didn't fix MWO's massive group-farming problem.

Or just remove QP and keep only FW with a max group size of 4, yeah?

#74 Hoaggie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:41 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 24 May 2020 - 07:17 PM, said:

Or just remove QP and keep only FW with a max group size of 4, yeah?

Or, instead of penalizing teamwork and community engagement that keep MMO's alive long term, they could just narrow down faction play to a single Q instead of multiple planets. This is still mwomercs, having faction loyalists is what messed up the faction play system.

#75 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:08 PM

View PostHoaggie, on 24 May 2020 - 08:41 PM, said:

Or, instead of penalizing teamwork and community engagement that keep MMO's alive long term, they could just narrow down faction play to a single Q instead of multiple planets.

They did, a couple years ago.

#76 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:25 PM

The groups are not the problem. Mwo (like many ftp to be fair) struggled to build a proper ingame recruitment / social area. Lobby was super late 2 and long "tomb" etc. didn't help much 2.

Problem 2 is, that a huge part of the player base did not want a mwo but an mw5.
-> I've never seen so many solo players for years, like in mwo (and the time / recruitment requirements etc. wasn't the problem. 9/10 units didn't even have such). Oh forgot the "drama" or space politics. Hmm maybe there are units without...maybe I can leave a unit...

Because pgi can't handle, let's nerv team play further... (recruitment cost)

Then many players expected a complex war with support routes etc. in a ftp. And russ like always tried to deliver something...

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 25 May 2020 - 11:58 AM.

#77 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:42 PM

View PostWarning incoming Humble Dexterer, on 24 May 2020 - 04:56 PM, said:

MWO's massive group-farming problem.

Wait, since when have groups had a hard time farming? I mean, yeah, I know some have a rough time with the pugs, but they usual stick together, and even with bad tactics a team that sticks together wins more often'n naught.

As far as I can tell, groups are still farming effectively.

~Leone.

#78 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 01:29 PM

View PostLeone, on 25 May 2020 - 12:42 PM, said:

Wait, since when have groups had a hard time farming?

He means groups farming is a problem, not that groups are having a problem farming.

#79 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 May 2020 - 01:41 PM

View PostHawker Siddeley, on 25 May 2020 - 01:29 PM, said:

He means groups farming is a problem, not that groups are having a problem farming.

Which is still missing the forest for the trees.

#80 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:21 PM

View PostHawker Siddeley, on 25 May 2020 - 01:29 PM, said:

Huh, I guess I gave 'em too much credit. I assumed they saw an actual problem. Groups farming cannot be a problem because groups farming is a symptom of their opposition letting them. Farming happens when one side lets it, which is oft a sign of skill disparity. Telling groups to 'play worse' is a terrible plan no one in their right mind'll listen to. Playing bad leads to bad habits. Which is why so many get farmed.

They play bad, and develop bad habits. Getting farmed is the best way to improve your gameplay, if you are willing to learn from the lessons being provided. So the only way to fix this so called 'group farming problem' would be to teach people to play better.

I try, but there is only so much one can do.

~Leone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users