I'll Empty My Wallet

General

39 replies to this topic

#1 Dubious Squirrel

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 10:30 PM

This may have been said. I'm going to say it again. MWO still imo has a lot of potential. Update the engine, assign some marketing budget to a soft-relaunch, and I'll once again begin to throw money at it.

I pre-ordered MW5 and so far I haven't completed the campaign. I keep coming back to MWO. MW5 doesn't have anything near the challenge, the community, the fun. Update MWO's engine, throw a few mech's in and there will be a cash-cow renewed. Otherwise all I personally see is a slow decline.

#2 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:53 PM

I'm happy people would like to pay money for MWO again, but in my opinion, we need MWO2..

Maybe made with Unreal Engine 5..

And made with PVE elements as well as PVP.. Focused on the pilot.. not the mechs..

#3 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 01:45 AM

Ahhhhh man. An unreal engine backed, sexier looking mwo. With more mechs maps and possibly bigger game modes or just higher capacity lobbies. Fire moth going 200+ kph. That would be something I'd easily sink some money into.
Someone could ask Russ if they ever do another AMA or something.

#4 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:18 AM

MWO is made with the old Cry 3 Engine , and PGI has no more guys with deep experience for it, so no Update to Cry 5 and UE is a very different Engine , the only Solution is a Complete new builded MWO 2 with a other Engine ,and thats is a long Project

#5 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:36 AM

Willing to wait 4+ years for them to make mwo2? :-)

#6 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:36 AM

Joke's on PGI, OP's wallet contain nothing but moths.

#7 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 03:07 AM

Changeing the engine isn't the answere to everything.

For the looks, we have seen, with MW5, what the team can do with a more modern engine. Still how it looks is only one part. How well they can develop a MWO 2.0 from the ground up is what is importend.

They have to turn over every part of MWO, take a good look at it and figure out what works, what dosn't and how to go from there. Patching MWO isn't going to work in the long run I think.

There is so much stuff that needs to be taken into account and worked on that you could say its like createing another game and that while they still have to support MWO and patch and work on DLCs for MW5.
I have my doubts PGI has the resources, money as well as manpower, to do that. They had a hard time to develop MW5 while keeping MWO running. Adding a quite demanding task on top of that....don't see it happening.

As long as PGI isn't opening up MWOs development to modders or give them the option to turn MW5 into MWO 2.0 there will be very little in development.

Still I hope I am totaly wrong with that ^_^

#8 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 19 May 2020 - 04:41 AM

Hindsight is often unfair but in this case I think it provides a window into the future.

Pretend we all got this updated/rebuilt/entirely new as MWO2 game using Unreal, etc.

So what makes anybody think that PGI wouldn't just PGI it?

We all know how PGI does things, and PGI knows we know. I was one of their biggest cheerleaders, and was happy to throw money at PGI to support the game. But I fear that at this point PGI has done too much damage in terms of customer trust and goodwill, that they wouldn't get enough buy in to make an update worth doing, and if they some how nevertheless managed it, it would be totally half-assed. They've pushed to many of their most ardent supporters away and I don't see many coming back, certainly not with cash in hand and a willingness to spend it, regardless of what PGI does with MWO or some theoretical MWO2.

Edited by Bud Crue, 19 May 2020 - 04:42 AM.

#9 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:19 AM

Kinda agree. PGI would have first to prove itself that an MWO 2.0 would be worth the money to be spend and that is a very difficulte process of healing and regaining trust.

I did say it would be easier to get new people to spend money, even in this neach, then getting the old ones to do it again.

That said, I might be willing to bit a little bit of money on a MWO 2.0 but realy just a little bit. Only to see how it develops and when it fails I don't feel like I lost something.

Edited by Nesutizale, 19 May 2020 - 05:21 AM.

#10 BARRY SHlTPEAS

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 80 posts
  • LocationBrown Sea Buccaneer

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:55 AM

Alternatively, spend your currency on booze.

Drink enough and MWO is a fantastic arena shooter.

Drink copious amounts and it's a 24 player Battle Royale shooter.

#11 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:55 AM

we had a thread about nice new minis the other day (unsurprisingly, it was moved, so thx 1984)
I suggest to put some money into these. :)

at the end of the day, you'll have a nice mini; whereas waiting for PGI will net you .. *cough*

anyway, Crusader says "Hi there".
Posted Image

#12 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:00 AM

View PostMW Waldorf Statler, on 19 May 2020 - 02:18 AM, said:

MWO is made with the old Cry 3 Engine , and PGI has no more guys with deep experience for it, so no Update to Cry 5 and UE is a very different Engine , the only Solution is a Complete new builded MWO 2 with a other Engine ,and thats is a long Project

One could think they could use MW5 as base and turn that into MWO2 pretty easily?

#13 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:07 AM

View PostCurccu, on 19 May 2020 - 06:00 AM, said:

One could think they could use MW5 as base and turn that into MWO2 pretty easily?

One could think. I still dream of winning the lottery too...

;)

#14 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:34 AM

View PostCurccu, on 19 May 2020 - 06:00 AM, said:

If you're thinking of PVP like MWO, then it is entirely different. It isn't just about making robots shoot other robots, you need to think in terms of massive back-end client support and interface whereas MW5 is just peer-to-peer.

Even using MWO's back-end as a base, porting that to Unreal is a tough task, something that PGI has shown effortlessly that they're incapable of doing it without monumental screw-ups.

#15 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:41 AM

MWO has always had potential, but potential doesn't make money. Execution does, and PGI sucks at executing. They can't advertise, so the game doesn't grow, their balance changes are dubious at best, and every time they add something new to the game they break it.

#16 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 19 May 2020 - 09:37 AM

I would buy the next mech pack the day it comes out. Maybe even if its clan (vomits in mouth a little).

View PostMW Waldorf Statler, on 19 May 2020 - 02:18 AM, said:

They have already updated the engine once.

#17 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 19 May 2020 - 10:28 AM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 19 May 2020 - 05:55 AM, said:

we had a thread about nice new minis the other day (unsurprisingly, it was moved, so thx 1984)
I suggest to put some money into these. Posted Image

at the end of the day, you'll have a nice mini; whereas waiting for PGI will net you .. *cough*

anyway, Crusader says "Hi there".
Posted Image

i dont think a Crusader is PC in current year + 5

#18 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 19 May 2020 - 10:32 AM

Oh for the love of Pete...

#19 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 11:55 AM

Sure would be nice if PGI addressed this or the future of the license in next MW5 "AMA"
I would drop money on a fire moth or mwo 2

#20 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:31 PM

I won't. Pgi has seven-eight years for mechwarrior both a single player and multiplayer title. They failed. HARD. I can wait another 20 or so years for another hopefully better developer that you know,actively develops and engages regularly with its player base. And I'll bet i''ll still be enjoying skyrim and many many mods as well in those waiting years.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users