Combined Queues - Final Discoveries

854 replies to this topic

#21 Tahawus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 04:52 PM

Reset the PSR it's garbage anyways with everyone that has played a large number of games in the past 5 years and won a majority of them collected in Tier 1.

Honestly, the Tier should be calculated on a real+time basis. Breakpoints between tiers should be set as quintiles of the PSR of players that have been active in the recent past. Don't be shy about demoting people of their past performance doesn't keep them in a current tier.

#22 TheFourthAlly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 209 posts
  • LocationMelbs, Oz

Posted 25 May 2020 - 04:53 PM

Good grief, is that even a question? It's not a badge of honour, it's a tool to find players to have a computer game match-up organised. I'm here for a bit of fun and challenge.

I do not need to be constantly matched up with pre-made tryhards who plow through mine or the red team in roughly 2 minutes after contact is made, leaving bugger all to do for everybody else. There's no fun or challenge in that.

I also am not that new to this, that I need to dropped into a match with the poor bugger who stopped their light mech right in front of my lazervomit Timby, to plink away at my nosecone with their mgs for a bit. Until I alpha'd their CT to smithereens, still mildly confused. There's not much fun (well, a little), but certainly no challenge in that.

If I can get reasonable amounts of fun and challenge out of this game, I'd stick around. The above examples do not provide that, so if a tier reset can actualy assist in that, all for it.

Spawns and weight distribution should be high on your list too though.

Edited by TheFourthAlly, 25 May 2020 - 04:54 PM.

#23 Tahawus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 04:56 PM

View PostKurlon, on 25 May 2020 - 04:44 PM, said:

On the stomp side, please don't report vague percentage increases, as we have no basis to evaluate that on. A 3% increase if stomps are already at 50% of matches is different than if they were 2% of matches. What is the percentage of matches that show as a stomp at the moment?

As someone who's career is based on data, shoddy communication like Paul's on this does not inspire confidence in his analysis. If you can't communicate analysis effectively and precisely, you probably also can't do analysis effectively.

#24 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 May 2020 - 04:56 PM

Do the Zero Sum PSR + reset, do it already!

#25 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 25 May 2020 - 04:57 PM

Reset the PSR; why this wasn't done years ago is beyond everyone here.

Edited by Scout Derek, 25 May 2020 - 04:57 PM.

#26 Dremnon

• PipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 60 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba

Posted 25 May 2020 - 04:57 PM

When everyone arrives at the same rank over time, it's not a viable ranking system. Reset it.

#27 Rick88

Rookie

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 8 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 25 May 2020 - 04:58 PM

Aye. Reset PSR, plz.

#28 Thevaris Antheren

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCentral Iowa

Posted 25 May 2020 - 04:58 PM

*laughs in holding in mid T4* Sure, why not?

#29 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:01 PM

Yes, reset it.

#30 wicm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:05 PM

As some one who thinks this is the best game ever...How can we as a community let people know, so we can grow.

#31 mr bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 328 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:05 PM

Thanks for the update.
Yes. 1 Vote for resetting the PSR and back to Zero-sum.

#32 Red Potato Standing By

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:06 PM

Yeah reset it

#33 MisterSomaru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 255 posts

Reset it, please. If someone deserves to be in Tier 1, it'll show.

#34 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

View PostPaul Inouye, on 25 May 2020 - 03:41 PM, said:

So, the 4 weeks are up. I want to start by sharing some findings.

The last time I communicated I set the Match Maker configs (release valves) in this manner and left it for a while

We need your feedback on whether this is acceptable or not (losing current Tier standings).

Reset the tiers, but until you actually share real data I don't trust a word you write. You and Russ clearly wanted this to begin with and you've been very cagey about actually telling us real results, but Russ gave up the game in his twitter posts. Since you don't have a clue about how the game plays these days, I simply don't trust your conclusions. You guys have simply been too deceptive too much in the past to be trustworthy. Share the real data - let us draw conclusions - I guarantee there are a lot of people that understand stats better than you do playing the game. It's the only way you'll earn any trust back.

Edited by Anomalocaris, 25 May 2020 - 05:47 PM.

#35 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:09 PM

I, Leone, of Kell's Commandos, Former Raid Leader of the Crimson Hand, do Hereby Sacrifice my Tier 3 Ranking upon the Altar of Progress. Go forth and tweak quickplay, and perhaps more shall slide downwards towards Community Warfare and help fill out the queue.

~Leone.

#36 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:09 PM

Reset it! Zero sum! Best decision you can make.

#37 Tenfingers

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSpringfield Mo,

Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:10 PM

fine with losing my tier if it means we get to balance it out and make it better in the long run

#38 Spitfire 03

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:11 PM

I encourage the PSR Reset.

#39 JoeCold

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMallory's World

Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:12 PM

Two things, and I'm not really sure if they are comments or questions:

First, I definitely have seen stomps up recently, not down. Worse, it looks to be directly related to the groups in the match. If one team's group plays well and the other team's group poorly, your team crushes and vice versa. Worse, if this disparity happens, it doesn't appear to matter how well or poorly the other players on each team play - the 4 man groups control the tide. I'm still for mixed queues, but doesn't this problem need to be addressed for it to work out?

Second, why does win/loss affect PSR at all? Isn't it pilot skill, not teamwork skill? In fact, if anything, your team getting stomped should count as a mitigating circumstance to your performance if you're in the, random number for example, second half of your team killed since you can't have as good personal statistics when your team gets stomped as you would have otherwise as the opponent can gang up on you so quickly. Even if you do well, you probably would have done better if you hadn't suddenly had a 4 on 1 situation. To a lesser extent, the opposite is true as well, i.e., its easier to do well personally when your team stomps, so why does the PSR system reward you even further for being on the winning team?

Edited by JoeCold, 25 May 2020 - 05:14 PM.

#40 RunNGun666

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:13 PM

I support a Tier reset but I question if this is a lasting solution.

We know you want to minimize dev investment at this point. Why not crowd source a new PSR measure? Pull together a sample data set (match, map, mode, match result, mech, damage out, damage taken, etc) and publish it. I would guess there would be multiple proposals for you to consider.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users