Psr Update And Changes - Jun 2020

494 replies to this topic

#101 MechWarrior414712

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 02:24 PM

View PostOldSchoolCav, on 04 June 2020 - 02:08 PM, said:

Not sure whose English is to blame here - it might be mine. I don't have a DC problem. I DC maybe once every 6 months or so. I hate being in matches with players who DC. Would it be possible to penalize them? Maybe automatic -10 PSR for DC? Is that too harsh?

Well again - it works as intended, you bite the bullet but according to what Paul says they'll drop a lot with what is proposed, discos go down as intended.

#102 Thebackson

• Pip
  • Gunjin
  • Gunjin
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 02:30 PM

I almost think a better way to calculate PSR on the matches would be to take the 24 players of the match, then rank them by their match score and give the following psr modification

1-3 get +5
4-6 get +3
7-10 get +1
11-14 get 0
15-18 get -1
19-21 get -3
22-24 get -5

This is also a net 0 PSR on the scores but rewards performance independent of whether you win or lose but also naturally favors the winning team since the winners are typically going to have a higher match score. At the same time it rewards a great player on a losing teaming and lowers the really bad players on a winning team.

The number of nights where I have had 8-12 loses in a row while at the same time pulling top 1-3 damage and match scores over 300 while still losing is staggering, under the proposed system I would do nothing but lose psr in those 8-12 matches.

Edited by Thebackson, 04 June 2020 - 02:35 PM.

#103 Rhapture

Rookie

• The Dreadnought
  • The Dreadnought
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 02:33 PM

You brought up the stomp rates, but I'd like to know how many matches ended in 12-10 or 12-11 matches.
Did those really good matches increase in frequency? Because that might show the new grouping is helping.
Also , in those good close matches, where there are lots of good 400+ scores on each side, why would you punish people when it comes down to the the last couple mechs and it could almost go either way.
You should be rewarding good pilots and not just wins in PSR as many others have said.

#104 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 02:56 PM

New PSR values:
Player LOSES:
Match Score: 0-100 goes down in PSR by -5
Match Score: 101-250 goes down in PSR by -3
Match Score: 251-400 goes down in PSR by -1
Match Score: 401+ does not move.

Player WINS:[/color]
Match Score: 0-100 does not move.
Match Score: 101-250 goes up in PSR by +1
Match Score: 251-400 goes up in PSR by +3
Match Score: 401+ goes up in PSR by +5

CRAP

turn the wrong corner and you are dead - low match score
get left behind by nascar and you are dead - low match score

no control of the team you get put on

no one has any motivation to do anything except go to the same place on the map and then rotate...

no balance on the teams

no balancing of equipment on the teams

constantly get stuck on long range maps in short range mechs

etc etc

Edited by VixNix, 04 June 2020 - 03:00 PM.

#105 Alan Hicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 414 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 02:57 PM

9th of June? Just do the reset, do it, DO IT NAO !!!

...ok, no problem, 5 more days of the usual mess...

It's not like there's some haste to keep playing... Posted Image

#106 Andrzej Lechrenski

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:02 PM

View PostVixNix, on 04 June 2020 - 02:56 PM, said:

[color=#00FFFF]New PSR values:[/color]
[color=#00FFFF]Player LOSES:[/color]
[color=#00FFFF]Match Score: 0-100 goes down in PSR by -5[/color]
[color=#00FFFF]Match Score: 101-250 goes down in PSR by -3[/color]
[color=#00FFFF]Match Score: 251-400 goes down in PSR by -1[/color]
[color=#00FFFF]Match Score: 401+ does not move.[/color]

[color=#00FFFF]Player WINS:[/color]
[color=#00FFFF]Match Score: 0-100 does not move.[/color]
[color=#00FFFF]Match Score: 101-250 goes up in PSR by +1[/color]
[color=#00FFFF]Match Score: 251-400 goes up in PSR by +3[/color]
[color=#00FFFF]Match Score: 401+ goes up in PSR by +5[/color]

CRAP

turn the wrong corner and you are dead - low match score
get left behind by nascar and you are dead - low match score

no control of the team you get put on

no one has any motivation to do anything except go to the same place on the map and then rotate...

no balance on the teams

no balancing of equipment on the teams

constantly get stuck on long range maps in short range mechs

etc etc

People who do not understand, or refuse to execute, the things that make a team win will drop in tier.
People who work together, even to the point of sacrificing their precious K/D, will rise in tier.

This is the balance. People will rise or fall to whatever level they are willing to cooperate.

But, yes, the first week of this will probably be as miserable as you describe until the wheat is separated from the chaff.

#107 Drunk Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 572 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh?

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:03 PM

View PostNearly Dead, on 04 June 2020 - 11:38 AM, said:

Teamwork = win

Who is guaranteed to be working as a team? Premades and units.

Win = PSR +

With all of the suggestions made here in the forum, this is what they do? It is like there is some kind of overriding game ideology here that PGI can't let go of, like they are living in some kind of other reality.

You do realize that a ton more players play solo than in groups these days, right? Like, I haven't played in a unit group drop in close to 5 years. The player base has tanked significantly.

#108 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:07 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 03 June 2020 - 12:09 PM, said:

[color="#ffa500"]snip [/color]

To change this, we will be implementing the following:

Current PSR values:

Player LOSES:
Match Score: 0-100 goes down in PSR by -2
Match Score: 101-250 goes down in PSR by -1
Match Score: 251-400 does not move.
Match Score: 401+ goes up in PSR by +1

Player WINS:

All I can say about the Current PSR Loss Values, omfg. The issue was not the 400+ moving up, it is the others BARELY moving down..... just wow...

New PSR values:

Player LOSES:

Player WINS:

With these new numbers in place, players performing well and winning will be able to climb out of mid tiers to higher tiers and players losing and not performing well will be dropping lower as they should.

snip

Okay, definitely much better. At least it was not JUST the 401+ changed, nor was that particular threshold the issue.

I would say to change the thresholds, esp the 100 to a higher number, but reviewing some of the players who are currently Tier 1 or Tier 2 with avg 171-200 MS and W/L ratio of 0.82ish, at least on paper this should remedy the experience bar.

Of course, PGI could have kept the "experience" bar, still modified the PSR thresholds but had the MM use avg MS over last 300-500 drops, but this was likely the easiest route to go where PGI was winning to make a change.

With said, consider making 1/weight class per group/max 3 players per group instead of min/max weight limit. Remember, this is no longer the Solo queue, but more importantly this is no longer a purely Group queue either.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 04 June 2020 - 03:08 PM.

#109 HimseIf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Visekorporal
  • 270 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:13 PM

Back to tier 5 hell for me then :(
Doesn't matter how much of a deciding factor you are for the victory, with teamwork, and being a sacrificial target or whatever, if you don't make the magic numbers happen, you're doomed to play with people that run around like headless chickens...

View PostOldSchoolCav, on 04 June 2020 - 02:08 PM, said:

Not sure whose English is to blame here - it might be mine. I don't have a DC problem. I DC maybe once every 6 months or so. I hate being in matches with players who DC. Would it be possible to penalize them? Maybe automatic -10 PSR for DC? Is that too harsh?

I have connection issues, they're not intentional. Punishing people that do have connection problems isn't going to make you popular with anyone that lives outside of a perfect world.

#110 Poor-Life-Choices

• PipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:17 PM

I understand your intent, but you are over valuing a win. You will really make groups stompier because you will force people to group up and stomp so they can raise their PSR. This will just frustrate the average player. I'm a 60% player. I've been in T1 for over a year competing with Ash and his buddies. I'm not as good as they are, but I do alright. If you force me back to playing with T4 and T5 players, then I'll be done with this game. PSR should be 80% match score, not 200% win. Don't forget that match score is impacted by winning, and whether you survive. You lose 4 or 5 points for losing, but because your team sucked you also lose points because your average score dropped down a teir, so now you've had a bad game, gotten a low match score and you are punished for joining the solo que. not good guys, not good.

#111 Drunk Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 572 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh?

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:23 PM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 04 June 2020 - 12:20 PM, said:

People are still here suggesting that the top performers on the losing team go up in rank.

Here's the deal folks, PGI has said they're going to implement this system and these responses are essentially say "Yeah, but what if you tried using the old system, though?"

That's not how this is going to go down.

Here's a thought:

What if players:

1. Get off private discords and communicate with their team
2. Use the whole 9.99 it costs to get a functional mic OR:
3. Use the built in coordination tools that don't require a mike.
4. Stop using the mic to complain about a loss while having been silent all round, start using the mic to coordinate from the start
5. Accept that not all teams will want to coordinate but after a short time, people who won't work together will be pushed down while people who do will be pushed upwards.

This game has amazing potential and one of its limiting factors has always been that people talk about success in terms of individual performance instead of group success.

Well, PSR says that age is over so unless you're in one of the top tier groups that can literally drag a team to victory players are going to have to re-examine this "every mech is an island" concept that has been so ingrained.

Now it's "We all rise or we all Fall"- and we're going to have to drop accordingly.

Going to be a massive shift for most folk, but i can almost guarantee that the sea of "but what if you tried not making this based solely on team performance and allowed the losing team to individually win" are about to be real disappointed.

Telling players to "get off their private Discords" is bit hypocritical considering the majority of players don't even communicate over VOIP in game. Those of us who do are heard fairly consistently. But considering most of the players don't want to listen to the people either giving directions or calling targets, why should they bother communicating at all? Team play is a two way street. Wins and losses are determined by a combination of combat effectiveness as well as players willingness to listen to those who actually know what they are talking about, drop commanding. Considering you have selfish lurm assault pilots who think they can hide in the back while they lob missiles into the terrain and players who YOLO off into enemy teams within the first two minutes of the match because they have less situational awareness than a chipmunk, not helping their teams while players who actually care about winning try to heard a bunch of blind mice and sheep. Telling other players to help their teams win when most players aren't reciprocating that same attitude, no wonder so many matches are garbage.

#112 Dakkonn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 120 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:26 PM

View PostPrometheusTNO, on 04 June 2020 - 12:19 PM, said:

I don't think there's a nice way for me to put this...

PSR = Pilot Skill Rating

It didn't take skill to walk over to their base. You won that hypothetical match because other people on your team had the skills to fight well enough that you could stand in the square for a long time. THEY won that match for you. The enemy team just couldn't walk back fast enough when the fighting was over. And who knows... Maybe if you had been shooting some enemies in the back, you could have won AND scored points.

Its fine no offense taken, I know PSR means Pilot Skill Rating.

My example was when we started we realized we were out tonned by a lot. (I think we had 2 assaults and the enemy had 5+ and were mostly mediums) If I had actively joined the fight I would have died too and we as a team would have lost the match. So the call was made after it was 0-5 (which happened very fast after the first engagement) that I should avoid fighting and try for a back cap win.

Now If I had not done that no one on the team would have gotten any points but since I followed the shot caller (teamwork) we won but I got almost no points due to all I did was cap really.

So the example might not scream "skill" but winning due to out playing your enemies should could for more than raw damage dealing. Team made sure to kill or leg anything fast enough to get back, again we were not focused on damage but it was a solid win that would not be reflected in PSR.

Also would like to add that the value of a good scout placing sweet UAV's/TAG/NARC can not be understated. No damage be easily game changing.

Edited by Dakkonn, 04 June 2020 - 03:36 PM.

#113 TheFourthAlly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 209 posts
  • LocationMelbs, Oz

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:27 PM

A rough 1/3 of matches end in a stomp? Is that supposed to be a good thing?

Let's hope when the dust settles after the reset of player tiers, we'll get a bit better outcomes over time.

Imo the new setting seems to make sense.

If you're consistenly losing matches, and doing badly, you might not be in the right mix of players and need to drop down a bit over time.

if you're consistently are winning matches and doing well, you might not be in the right mix of players and should go up a bit over time.

You'd expect a luck factor, whether a bad or a good streak, evens out over time and the consistent factor remaining is the team member looking at you in the mirror.

#114 Leidulfr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:35 PM

PGI, you guys don't really think things through, do you? Even with all of the advice we pump out...

Your proposed "player S K I L L rating" system is again highly flawed, nonsensical, and it will again result in poor match making once players have played enough games for the system to start taking effect.

It's supposed to be a gauge of individual players' capabilities to get. stuff. done. It is not a "player who happened to be on the winning team rating." How difficult is it for you to wrap your head around that?

If I convince a friend to try the game and we drop together with one or two other decent players, they're most likely going to do squat, but they'll keep going up in the ranks because they're being carried. They might have fun in the group drops, just resorting to following us around to get the hang of things, but depending on how long that goes on, their rating will be inflated and a misrepresentation of their actual skill level.

If that new player who has been carried around then decides to play some games solo, most likely, they'll be crushed as they try to figure it out. Getting legitimately crushed over and over, with no real understanding of why isn't fun. It doesn't make you want to go back to the game, usually. And, even if they keep at it and do well on their own, but still "lose", their individual skill is not being taken into account properly.

Something similar to this happened to me when Halo 5 first came out. They had a similar system. You play ten games and get ranked for the season. I happened to end up on winning teams for the majority of my ten games and got placed in Diamond league, despite my actual contributions. After that, once I was playing with all Diamond league players, I just got slaughtered over and over and over. There's a point where no matter how much you bash your head against a wall, you're not optimally going to be able to improve your skill, and it's discouraging. Their system was even moreso flawed to the point where you couldn't rank down until the season ended. I'm sure they changed that, hopefully, but IDK, because I quit and never went back. It was absolutely no fun at all. (I also loathed my Xboner and eventually sold it).

And, it's not about being "rewarded" with rank ups. IDK what's up with some of you saying players should be "rewarded" for their efforts, that's not PSR. It's simply just supposed to be a representation of your individual skill, which also shouldn't be so heavily tied to "Match Score." Does it take "skill" for your AMS to automatically shoot down incoming missiles or for your suicide rushed UAV to automatically show enemy location? Does it take "skill" to hold down the mouse from the back to farm red squares? Why isn't there a fire & hit/miss ratio being tracked? Damaged taken before death (depending on your current mech's total armor) and damage done... there's your actual "skill". Calling for the team and doing it well, and if your team is the better team already results in "rewards" for winning... CBills & XP... and your "skill" rating will also go up due to the win, so don't come at me with the "well, what about these other 'skills' like spotting, assists, tagging, AMS usage, etc." NO. Actual, individual/personal/player "skill" is so easy to track and represent properly. Just do the work, or the game will continue to lose players.

Edited by Leidulfr, 04 June 2020 - 03:46 PM.

#115 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:36 PM

View PostAndrzej Lechrenski, on 04 June 2020 - 03:02 PM, said:

People who do not understand, or refuse to execute, the things that make a team win will drop in tier.
People who work together, even to the point of sacrificing their precious K/D, will rise in tier.

This is the balance. People will rise or fall to whatever level they are willing to cooperate.

But, yes, the first week of this will probably be as miserable as you describe until the wheat is separated from the chaff.

has not happened in the last 9 years...

#116 technopredator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:39 PM

Someone said you're now in maintenance mode,and truly are, to not make something until 9 Jun, instead of do it last Monday 1 Jun. But since we're 5 days away, and how long PGI takes to make any changes, if at all, this would be considered lightning fast, so yay?

I say mix Tier 1 with 5 all the time, have all available players, playing witch each other, the more the merrier, just keep groups with alike players, for example: if in a 12vs12 there is a Lance of Tier 2 players in 1 side, put them against 2-3 Tier 1 players, depending on PSR and game performance. Why? because newbies will learn from experienced players, more mixing in different skill levels is more fun, even when you get slaughtered, and more matches which are less waiting time and more fun.

Should be 2 LFGs 1 for QP and another for CW/FW.
This should be complimented by improving a better queue display, how many are playing and to take Note in FW LFG how many would like to play FW, while doing QP, so when a 12v12 have formed with you in it, in FW LFG, you'd be notified. So this way the Server will know at all times, which players that are not busy making builds, want to play, carry on better statistics and adaptive configurations for matchmaking, also will tell the community how many players online want to play which game type which would encourage more gaming, confident that their waiting times will not be long, nor a long, blind, random chance, specially on FW, like it is now.

Edited by technopredator, 04 June 2020 - 07:21 PM.

#117 LaCroix05

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:41 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 03 June 2020 - 12:09 PM, said:

To change this, we will be implementing the following:

Current PSR values:

Player LOSES:
Match Score: 0-100 goes down in PSR by -2
Match Score: 101-250 goes down in PSR by -1
Match Score: 251-400 does not move.
Match Score: 401+ goes up in PSR by +1

Player WINS:

New PSR values:
Player LOSES:

Player WINS:

With these new numbers in place, players performing well and winning will be able to climb out of mid tiers to higher tiers and players losing and not performing well will be dropping lower as they should.

The new numbers make team work critical if players want to climb in tiers. As you can see, the win is the biggest component of moving up or down in PSR. To win, you have to be a team player.

This is stupid.

Right now i can only see PGI as the real example of developer who only read statistic without playing the game.

Maybe PGI want to copy this model from MOBA ranked game. Where if you lose, you will lose your MMR/Rank even if you are carrying your teammate.

But that is if you are on the same RANK.

Like in ranked MOBA game, it's expected you all at the same level at ranked game. Tier 1 will only play with Tier 1. Tier 4 will only play tier 4. So if you lose to other team with the same RANK/MMR/TIER it's a fact that you are worse than them and you should lose RANK/MMR/TIER.

While in MWO, we don't have ranked game. Only a quick game where every random tier and random mech jungled up and throw to battle.

So it's stupid for just counting WIN and LOSE to gain PSR in this game. The variable is too many because those random mech and random tier that you throw together.

Edited by LaCroix05, 04 June 2020 - 03:41 PM.

#118 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:46 PM

I have to agree with the comments on the first page. The zero-sum should be based on individual performance relative to all 24 players. Those with the highest match score move up in PSR. Those with lowest match score move down. If you want winning to affect it, add more PSR for a win.

#119 mrvain

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:46 PM

View PostFirefox54, on 04 June 2020 - 10:20 AM, said:

I agree with the above post that part of the PSR reset was missed. There's too much weight to W-L in this format. At a minimum, some one that loses but gets a 400 match score or better should go up ... someone with a win but under 100 match score should go down.

Putting this much emphasis on team work might have been fine with a bigger player base ... but right now, it's luck to drop with 12 individuals that want to play as a team ... or luck to not drop with/against a 3/4-man team that just dominates

Bottom line (IMO) ... too much weight to W-L.

This is a start, and hopefully PGI will review this in a month or so ... or revise the PSR based on the comments being posted.

I am generally happy with what is going on but I do tend to agree that there is too much focus on team work given the random nature of teams with the current population and the tendency for groups to do their own thing. There is a great deal of luck here and you could be playing your best team game and still have little impact if the other 11 aren't interested. Similarly, even if my team stomps the enemy, if I am a potato (and I often am Posted Image ) I should go down

#120 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:50 PM

Maybe like +100 PSR if you won.
Now 24 players with different PSRS:
+5 Top 2 PSR
+3 Next 3 PSR
+1 Next 5 PSR
0 Middle 4 PSR
-1 Next 5 PSR
-3 3 Next to bottom PSR
-5 Bottom 2 PSR

The reality is that there is no finite amount of match score that can be won in any given game, so you need to compare players against the whole.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 04 June 2020 - 03:52 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users