Psr Update And Changes - Jun 2020

494 replies to this topic

#181 Thaeliaris

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:59 PM

Okay, so everyone seems so dead on furiously discussing the number values, I'd like to suggest taking a look at one more thing.
So we are getting the PSR reset, also we are getting the combined queue stay for good. In that case, can PGI please take a look and adjust the drop zones on the maps? Because when slow heavies/assaults get dropped in light mechs position now, it can be a death sentence for them.

Also, some folks seem to be complaining like their life depended on this PSR change/reset. While I understand some concerns, it's still supposed to be the solo queue - the more casual queue to play. For those "better" mechwarriors you have competitive play/faction play. It's only my guess but I think some of these players are so mad about the changes here, because they don't have a group, or good enough group to play and not get roflstomped in comp/faction play, but they want to "shine" here in solo queue.
Personally I like KamikazeViking's suggestion for determining the PSR change, as it's not dependant on exact Match Score Values, so for example it won't "punish" a good player on losing team who tried to carry the team and got around 380-400 MS in the end. Maybe I would add to it some conditions, if some MS values on the winning side would be really low - so that if 3 or 4 players carried really hard, and dragged the team, while others did little to nothing (so 3 or 4 mechs with score of 400-500+ and the rest circling around 150-200, maybe a bit extreme example - but my point is, to try to minimize "dragging" some people up, who shouldn't go up)

#182 pvt Hudsoff

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:03 AM

View PostLaCroix05, on 04 June 2020 - 03:41 PM, said:

Like in ranked MOBA game, it's expected you all at the same level at ranked game. Tier 1 will only play with Tier 1. Tier 4 will only play tier 4. So if you lose to other team with the same RANK/MMR/TIER it's a fact that you are worse than them and you should lose RANK/MMR/TIER.

yeah..but you missed a thing. there is not enough players in MWO to separate T1 guys.

Edited by pvt Hudsoff, 05 June 2020 - 12:48 AM.

#183 Baron von ztreik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 890 posts
  • LocationGDR

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:08 AM

I like to use a slow ECM Light, so I stand by the heavy ones to protect them from missiles, better than any AMS could at over 250m. I get nothing for that. Giving ECM bubble should also flow into the MS.

#184 That Mech

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16 posts

So competitive players aren't allowed in QP just because it's casual QP... wat.

Or just hide TIERS completely and use the numbers purely for match making - I don't think most players need tiers to stoke their e-ego. Especially when many people said it is CASUAL QP, not RANKED QP.

#185 Paul Muaddib

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts

The changes to the PSR values make no sense in relation to individual player skill. Getting a good match score on the winning team is exponentially easier that getting a good match score on the losing team. So the wet piece of paper on the winning team who barely does anything is considered a "better" player than the guy still kicking some butt despite his team being bad. The logic escapes me...

#186 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:10 AM

View Postpvt Hudsoff, on 05 June 2020 - 12:03 AM, said:

yeah..but you missed a thing. there are not enough players in MWO to separate T1 guys.

If the player pool is that small you cannot afford to separate T1 from others, all valves are open.
But you can make PSR more accurately reflect player skill then allocate skill to both teams.

Seriously these guys don't have a clue and are going to make matters worse.
Upward Bias is still their and now you get extra punishment when trying to carry a losing side.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 05 June 2020 - 12:12 AM.

#187 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:13 AM

So... It's gonna be Tuesday, June 9th, 2020 when it happens? I'm betting on some additional changes becoming needed in short order, sadly. :unsure:

~D. V. "tracking this 'Upcoming PSR Changes' thread in the meantime" Devnull

#188 Brom96

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:21 AM

So, if I read all above right, unless I get 400 or more points, not damage done but points, my rating will drop due to lost matches until I hit the rock bottom no matter if I actually contribute to the match or not? What incentive would I have to continue playing?

I had my share of losses where few of us would do 400+ damage while the rest of the team got wiped within 2 minutes and we would get into the same basket as them.

#189 RRAMIREZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 183 posts
  • LocationIn the Blob

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:27 AM

To be honest, so many post blaming potato teammate from preventing "good performers" from climbing the ladder if WL is prevalent in a team game gives me a strange feeling, and don't put me in a hopefull mood for games to come nexts weeks.
I can anderstand concerns about balance, about frustration to loose when you did your part, but "team fate" should be a thing in a 12v12

View PostThaeliaris, on 04 June 2020 - 11:59 PM, said:

Also, some folks seem to be complaining like their life depended on this PSR change/reset. While I understand some concerns, it's still supposed to be the solo queue - the more casual queue to play.

I hope all these complainers are, at least, practicing 1v1 solaris.
Just to know if their personnal skill is that good, or if they just use teammates as distration /meatshield /lock providers (and blame them if they don't keep lock even if spotted by the other team) to rise their match score.

ps:
Okay I may be a bit upset.

Edited by RRAMIREZ, 05 June 2020 - 12:37 AM.

#190 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:34 AM

View PostBrom96, on 05 June 2020 - 12:21 AM, said:

So, if I read all above right, unless I get 400 or more points, not damage done but points, my rating will drop due to lost matches until I hit the rock bottom no matter if I actually contribute to the match or not? What incentive would I have to continue playing?

I had my share of losses where few of us would do 400+ damage while the rest of the team got wiped within 2 minutes and we would get into the same basket as them.

Wrong. Your rating will rise at the same time on wins if you don't regularly score <100 points of matchscore. Thus, your rating should stabilise at your actual PSR, a w/l rate of ~1 and an avg MS of ~250.

#191 Brom96

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:37 AM

I consider it a logical question. Why? Because I rarely seen the situation when lost match was saved by a single player. I am average player at best, but this month I have seen a lot of lost matches where teams behaved strange. Groups going all alone ignoring the rest of the team, assaults capping on conquest maps, teams hunkering behind the cover, waiting to be stormed by enemy and taken down (these increased compared to April, for instance)...

In all these situations, we had few players who did exceptionally high damage, killed enemies, etc. They were not able to repair the damage done by other players in the team, so they will go down with the rest of us. As I understand this system will reward or punish individuals based on teams performance. Team, again, they have no control of.

#192 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:45 AM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 03 June 2020 - 12:09 PM, said:

New PSR values:
Player LOSES:
Match Score: 0-100 goes down in PSR by -5
Match Score: 101-250 goes down in PSR by -3
Match Score: 251-400 goes down in PSR by -1
Match Score: 401+ does not move.

Player WINS:
Match Score: 0-100 does not move.
Match Score: 101-250 goes up in PSR by +1
Match Score: 251-400 goes up in PSR by +3
Match Score: 401+ goes up in PSR by +5

Average matchscore is around 240, means this numbers will give a downtrend.
If even players play against each other they will also mostly have around 240ms,
because less lower skill players to inflate numbers, giving mostly -3/+1 on you psr.

But thats from the numbers i found,
maybe pgi can give us some real numbers:
Average matchscore and average matchscore for winnung/losing team would help.

Edited by Kroete, 05 June 2020 - 12:56 AM.

#193 RRAMIREZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 183 posts
  • LocationIn the Blob

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:57 AM

Extracted from a discussion about F line push on frozen city assault, elsewhere on the web:

As for the F-line push, normally people start crossing late and the enemy is already in a superior position. Another problem is that people stop on the slope (F6 or G6) to trade or, out of fear when the team takes too much damage. Thankfully this team didn't suffer from these.

I've been in games where the enemy were already 2-0 up when we took the top but once friendly team took the top and started moving in, we won. As people said, teamwork OP but people must know that some strats result in casualties but FOR THE GREATER GOOD!

Should the 2 casualties (with surely low match score) be punished for taking part in a winning team strategy?

edit:
There's always counter exemple when you consider ONE match.
Compare what is globally intensized by rewarding match score or WL.

my 2 cts for today.

Edited by RRAMIREZ, 05 June 2020 - 01:01 AM.

#194 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 June 2020 - 01:03 AM

View PostRyan Grey, on 04 June 2020 - 10:44 PM, said:

If you Guys are so addicted to performance and **** GO ******* PLAY COMPETETIVE
and leave quickplay alone for us casual players who play this game for fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tier reset ? how can you even consider this ?
Do you understand that the big freaking point of the PSR changes and tier reset is to separate the casuals from tryhards so that neither side has to suffer as much of the others' presence in their matches?

I didn´t play this game from nearly the beginning enduring all the ******** before, investing so much time and money to now have my only pride "Tier" stripped from me ?
Tier is not an achievement and has nothing to do with pride. You have invested time and money in this game to have fun . The tier system as it exists has been putting you up against overpowered opposition for a long time.

And how can you even state that the majority of players is fine with this ?
Because that's what the majority of those who responded to the proposal have stated.

I never heard of this project before today,.. and i am playing MWO each ******* day.
That's on you - it's been in the news pop-up that opens whenever you log in for almost two weeks now. https://mwomercs.com...al-discoveries/

All this just because you allowed those ******* competitive players again to join the casual quickplay matchmaking in teams.
Actually, the main opposition to the queue merge came from competitives.
Casuals were the ones screaming in favour of it, they got exactly what they asked for - and if they refused to understand that it wasn't going to be what they wished for, that's on them. Now they get to continue screaming - while on fire...

Sorry but this is not ok.
I am not ok with this project and i don´t want this !!! period
This change will, at least after the initial seeding, ensure that you're treated more fairly by the matchmaker and either matched entirely with other players on the same level or on teams that face roughly equal opponents
If you are against it, you are speaking out in favour of terrible matchmaking and continuing stomps.
So what is worth more to you? Getting more fun and enjoyable matches in the future or holding on to a pointless ego award that has been achieved by 2/3rd of the playerbase ?

#195 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 June 2020 - 01:07 AM

View PostReverend Flashback, on 04 June 2020 - 11:54 PM, said:

You won't get balanced matches ever in a game like this because you can't control how people build their mechs.
The builds don't need to be necessarily bad but probably just not suited for the situation.
Most common thing is one team getting lots of lrm mechs on polar or solaris.
There are also quite a few mechs which I'd call gimmicky and not top notch but still very fun.

If you want true balance everyone needs to agree to play one type of mech.
Most likely a decently quick brawler because that's imo the quickplay meta and the reason why most stomps happen.
One team getting more speedy close range mechs and forming a nice murderball or winning the nascar.

This is not even touching the skill point issue because everyone has to skill up mechs.
Does a 0 point mech perform like one with 91 points invested?
Not even close.

So how does a skill tier matter?
How well you build and play your mechs both matter in your overall performance. The general rule of thumb is that players more invested in understanding the game will tend towards more efficient mech builds, while casuals will do whatever and suffer for their mistakes.

#196 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 01:10 AM

good to see this happening, but it might be in too little too late territory. if the game had this system in place when it launched, i have a feeling it would have a significantly larger population now.

its nice that pgi is admitting that psr was just a noob protection feature. i always figured that was the case. you could still have this if you create a t6. its not a real tier as that it doesnt indicate the skill of the pilot and as far as the mm is concerned its the same as t5. you can only become t6 when you start a new account. and as soon as you get enough psr to get out of it or you get all your cadet bonuses you can never go back no matter how bad you play.

#197 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 05 June 2020 - 01:41 AM

"Tier 1 will still have to play matches with Tier 3 no matter what PSR system is in place."

I fail to see why then, if the above stated is true, do we need these changes? Nothing good will come out of it.

In fact, it seems to me that the ONLY thing that will come out of it that big group [Redacted] will be flung around in people's faces.

This change also effectively kills the drive to "carry" since if you do 1000 damage with 5 kills, and the rest of your team does 200 or less, you still suck and gain nothing.

I don't care about tiers, but this just seems pointless..

#198 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 01:47 AM

Consider this: Right now there are players that fail to break 200 MS on their average game regularly and there are players that regularly exceed 400 MS. Both can be in T1 and the matchmaker can not possibly differentiate between both.
With the changes in effect, the matchmaker can differentiate - given some time seeding - and evenly distribute players, even of different skill ratings, across opposing teams to build matches.

#199 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:14 AM

This seems reasonable. Winning or losing is the one truly reliable metric we can have. A PSR system really does not need to focus on the nuances of how and why any individual game was won or lost as long as there are enough matches played for an individual players contribution to be seen in their average wins and losses over time.

EDIT:
Why are people so focused on PSR shifts of individual matches when the only thing that really matters is the overall statistics over a larger number of matches?

Really doesn't matter if the system is blind to you trying to carry a lost game or having been carried to a won game.

Edited by Gagis, 05 June 2020 - 02:21 AM.

#200 w4ldO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:26 AM

calling it zero sum when the sum isn't zero

Piranha Goofing Increases

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users