COMPLETE CHALLENGES FOR GSP AND MORE!

#2 Ratsnacker

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:05 PM

Well paying event. Cheers!

Headshot could have carried a bigger MC prize, but cant win them all.

#3 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:12 PM

View PostLockheed_, on 18 June 2020 - 12:57 PM, said:

Thanks for the event!

The headshot requirement always stresses me out. I only can make it as a light hunting for AFKs.
Or I have to be very very lucky.

Maybe they should swap it out for something like "Earn 1 count of being undetected via TAG Stealth", perhaps? It would be challenging without being sooooooo RNG-whizzzz... ^_^

On other notes, I wonder what they meant by "Earn 25 Kill KMDD"... Could that have been meant to say "Earn 25 Kills and/or KMDDs" instead? :o

Further, I see this one that says "Earn 5 Capture Assists (conquest mode works best)" on the roster. But, I'm left wondering if Assault mode would be better, seeing as I do not remember Capture Assist from any other mode. Was this another typing goof-up? :mellow:

Other than wanting clarification for those, as well as PGI's Event Team's opinions on the Headshot requirement, I'm looking forward to this Event that's starting shortly. :)

~Mr. D. V. "left lightly confused by the setup on the Skilled Pilot Event items" Devnull

#4 Krucilatoz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:32 PM

I was thought "skilled" mean getting 4 or more kill in one match, or 500+ matchscore.
Or, 600 match score for very hard challenge.

Headshot is more like luck.

#5 Dakkonn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 120 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:44 PM

Hmm getting some of these might be tricky. (looking at you headshot reward)

Most likely will not be getting all of these but still gonna try.

#6 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 03:26 PM

View PostKrucilatoz, on 18 June 2020 - 02:32 PM, said:

I was thought "skilled" mean getting 4 or more kill in one match, or 500+ matchscore.
Or, 600 match score for very hard challenge.

Headshot is more like luck.

500 MS is kind of extreme... Skilled would be more like 401+ area, given today's climate. :huh:

And you're right about the Headshot... That's way too RNGeewhiz... :(

Now, if they wanted to replace that with 5 triggers of TAG Damage, or 1 of TAG Stealth, that would have been much less RNGeewhiz and a lot more skill needed. It also would have been much more enjoyable, in my opinion. ;)

EDIT :: By the way, any idea what PGI's recent fascination is lately with 12-Day Event Run Times, instead of the usual 14 Days that seem far more reasonable? It's like someone at PGI is trying to send us a message that I'm simply failing to pick up on! :wacko:

~D. V. "my own thoughts on MS & Headshot items as Challenges, and possible replacements" Devnull

Edited by D V Devnull, 18 June 2020 - 03:32 PM.

#7 Gladiolix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 18 June 2020 - 03:33 PM

A headshot as a reguirement? Going to get my popcorn.. :D

#8 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 04:19 PM

View PostGladiolix, on 18 June 2020 - 03:33 PM, said:

A headshot as a reguirement? Going to get my popcorn.. Posted Image

Popcorn? No. Grab a soda. You'll want the hydration from the drink more than the fat & salt from the popcorn. ;)

~D. V. "One can pick something far more tasty & helpful than Popcorn any day." Devnull

#9 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 04:19 PM

Only once in 1500 hours on purpose. Another three or four dumb luck. Turned a corner in Solaris City and came face to face with a fresh Atlas. I was in a Vapor Eagle with lasers, don't remember the exact build. He was between a wall and one of the ramps. He couldn't turn, or wouldn't and just kept shooting. I was face hugging him between his arms I think, at least that is the only explanation I can come up with for not being vaporized, but that little golden dot left eye was right there and I just kept shooting it till I pushed thru him. I bet he was as surprised as I was, and I couldn't believe it.

It is a good feeling. I have had it happen to me twice on the ramps on HPG. Peek, BOOM, down like a rock.

#10 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 11:39 PM

Okay, catching up with a few things...

View PostD V Devnull, on 18 June 2020 - 01:12 PM, said:

On other notes, I wonder what they meant by "Earn 25 Kill KMDD"... Could that have been meant to say "Earn 25 Kills and/or KMDDs" instead? Posted Image

On this one, I saw the attempted fix that has happened so far. Strangely, it looks goofy. I have the feeling that the Spell Check fought with someone when this happened...

As of this posting, the Skilled Pilot Event currently said:

Earn 25 Kill of KMDD rewards

...but I will give a Thank You to them & appreciate whoever tried, and hope they beat whatever kept them from finishing fixing it. :)

View PostD V Devnull, on 18 June 2020 - 01:12 PM, said:

Further, I see this one that says "Earn 5 Capture Assists (conquest mode works best)" on the roster. But, I'm left wondering if Assault mode would be better, seeing as I do not remember Capture Assist from any other mode. Was this another typing goof-up? Posted Image

Here, I get to eat my words from earlier, just like a hat made of wheat/rye... Someone else showed me that Capture Assist is somehow scored from Conquest mode too. The only thing I don't know now is whether that requires a Match Win to earn, and would appreciate if someone could provide an answer, please? :mellow:

And then there's these two that I wanted to respond to earlier today, but ran out of time to do so...

View PostLockheed_, on 18 June 2020 - 03:53 PM, said:

I think I only got two intentional headshot's on active enemies in my whole career. One time was with 8 small pulse lasers going for the head, because pretty much everything else still had armor and that Battlemaster was about to atomize me. Very satisfying experience.

View PostNearly Dead, on 18 June 2020 - 04:19 PM, said:

Only once in 1500 hours on purpose. Another three or four dumb luck. Turned a corner in Solaris City and came face to face with a fresh Atlas. I was in a Vapor Eagle with lasers, don't remember the exact build. He was between a wall and one of the ramps. He couldn't turn, or wouldn't and just kept shooting. I was face hugging him between his arms I think, at least that is the only explanation I can come up with for not being vaporized, but that little golden dot left eye was right there and I just kept shooting it till I pushed thru him. I bet he was as surprised as I was, and I couldn't believe it.

It is a good feeling. I have had it happen to me twice on the ramps on HPG. Peek, BOOM, down like a rock.

Guys, you're both more lucky than I am, seeing as you both managed to really go hard-in on trying and succeeding. In my case, when I really go all-out and try for Headshots, I tend to end up not succeeding. For what I have earned of those, it's either been AFKs or DIscos for the most part. Only a scant few times have I managed to successfully pull it off on a Fully Live Target, but only through complete accident during normal targeting. I think only once have I ended up in that facehug-type situation, but I managed to have all of my weapons ready fast enough for a well-aligned Alpha Strike that nailed someone who might otherwise have taken me down. It was a tense situation though, that's for sure. :wacko:

...and now, here I go, getting myself back to the battlefields after several hours of non-controllable offline time. B)

~Mr. D. V. "betting more will be said about the 2020 June 'Skilled Pilot Event' before it's over" Devnull

[Micro-Edit by Post's Author to fix a Carriage Return Inconsistency... Yet another bad "Formatting Oops"!!!]

Edited by D V Devnull, 18 June 2020 - 11:43 PM.

#11 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 04:54 AM

"Capture Assists (conquest mode works best)" - Is'nt work. Thx for enevt, PGI.

Edited by Voice of Kerensky, 19 June 2020 - 04:55 AM.

#12 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 19 June 2020 - 05:41 AM

More GSP? woot! I'm almost below 5,000!

#13 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 06:11 AM

I captured points in the conquest mode alone and with partners many times.
I captured the enemy base in assault mode alone and with partners many times.
I spent four hours on this event. In the four hours of the game, I managed to get only two “Capture Assist”, I could not even understand why I got them. I can’t even draw conclusions about what I should do next time, what to earn this cryptic “Capture Assist”?
What you did, PGI, is again for some reason not working correctly. Alas, such things have become commonplace for this game.
I have almost stopped doubting that you cannot think up something so well that your ideas will work correctly. Excuse me. This is my opinion for four years in this game.
Thanks for the event (I say this almost without irony).

Edited by Voice of Kerensky, 19 June 2020 - 06:12 AM.

#14 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 19 June 2020 - 07:26 AM

Another fun event. Thanks....

Now we need one for unskilled Pilots....lol

#15 Ruediger Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 512 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:23 AM

Posted Image

#16 ghost1e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 403 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationReigning World Champion

Posted 19 June 2020 - 01:16 PM

literally this ^^

like, "earn missile damage", "destroy missiles" etc... those are all things you don't need skill for

maybe make an event like "do more than 1000 damage in one match using a wolfhound" :)

#17 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 12:35 AM

View PostTheUltimateGhost, on 19 June 2020 - 01:16 PM, said:

<<<snip>>>

literally this ^^

like, "earn missile damage", "destroy missiles" etc... those are all things you don't need skill for

maybe make an event like "do more than 1000 damage in one match using a wolfhound" Posted Image

Pardon my differing opinion (and you don't need to argue with it as this is just my viewpoint, even if it is shared by others... Simply put, I thought this should be noted as people saying these things don't need skill really sounds like trolling), but I actually think it takes some skill to utilize AMS and Lock-On Missiles properly. Why, you might now ask? KEEP READING! :huh:

I'm going to add a helpful side-thought here before I get to the rest....... It takes even more skill & effort when one's body is suffering from a permanent condition where their arms & body shake, and even when they're trying to hold perfectly still, which means part of their attention is disrupted with trying to keep that under control while they're on the battlefield. No, not everyone can just take medical drugs to help with it, as every person's body reacts differently to those things, and other people can easily end up harmed by trying to use those prescriptions. <_<

Now, for the AMS's specific case, a person has to position their Mech in the right spot, and it takes some semblance of skill to have proper positioning. This includes taking notice of more than what's in front of the Pilot's Mech, as they must look all around in order to locate where they have to be to intercept those aerial streams properly. Otherwise, their AMS system can't properly reach the Incoming Enemy Missiles to wipe them away in time, which should be before the Enemy Missiles can do disruptive damage to their Teammates' Mechs. Sure, the AMS may shoot on it's own, however the Mech's Pilot also has to be aware of this, which means they have to possess the skill to manage the Heat with LAMS and/or the Ammo with Normal AMS on-board. Otherwise, they will end up either an 'AMS Ammo-less Mech' or 'Overheated sitting duck', both of which are bad situations to be in. :mellow:

As for the Lock-On Missiles, it takes skill here too, because one must find the right places to be in order to do any launching at all. Firing those blasted Lock-On Missiles can NOT be done from just anywhere, as they have to both be In-Range plus have a trajectory that avoids striking the terrain with more than 5% (I would have said less, like 1%, but there have been too many unnecessary nerfs against Lock-On Missiles.) of the Missiles fired. Further, it is necessary to keep re-positioning in order to meet the needs of the Team in such further order as to not have to call for help often for preventing some Enemy Mech from sneaking and messing up the whole team, that 'Lock-On Missile'-Firing Pilot included. Now obviously it shouldn't be possible to just idle in one place at 1100 meters and fire all day long, as one MUST stick with the Team at a more proper Range in order to help everyone survive. But, keeping those Missiles fully Locked, at the same time avoiding being damaged too heavily to keep supporting, is still a skill-requiring item through need of finding such reasonable placement. Pilots using those are NOT allowed to Torso Twist their Mech due to the Locking Systems in order to keep the Missiles flying on the target against the Enemy's Mech, therefore meaning that they run a far higher risk of being cored out on their Center Torso location. It's NOT just some simple keep-in-the-box thing due to having to remain in motion at least half the time, and it became unnecessarily hard when it was limited to keeping it right on the center of that thin box. Heck, after the locking angle was limited to the very center of that small box only, it literally reached the point of being just downright unfair toward anyone with the kind of disability that I described above where the Mech's Pilot has to fight their own body's shaking to keep the reticle on the mark. If anything, the Locking Angle needs to be widened by at least 1.5 to 2 Degrees, just to make Lock-On Weapons at least lightly balanced versus everything else again, particularly for disabled people, let alone those with slower computers who can't handle the brawl/facetank and don't have the Real $$$ to go upgrade. :angry:

Hell, don't even try to ask those disability-afflicted people to hold Ballistic and/or Energy weapons perfectly level & stable, as they really can't hold it anywhere near as perfectly to how others rudely think they should. Further, don't ask anyone with a slow computer and/or a lack of 'Improved Gyros' Skill Nodes to do that either, as the shaking from Incoming Enemy Fire WILL throw their aim regardless of Skill Node Status on their Mechs. Which, by the way, this has wrongfully forced me to speak from personal experience. While I may not be a bed-ridden shaking mess, the shaking that I have to deal with keeps coming and going but without leaving me fully alone. Learn from my suffering already, as well as the troubles that you should now be able to see that others feel! I've already learned that I'm not alone with these problems. :(

Also of useful thought, not all combat is done entirely in damage. A fair chunk of it is done through the skills needed in order to have Strategy, Information Provision, and Communication amongst the Team's members. Without these, all a Team happens to be is merely a rag-tag bunch of easily-beaten PUGs & Potatos that can be steamrolled over. More of thought, without these, there really isn't anything like Detection Of Prime Threats, Focused Fire, Team Cohesion, Situational Analysis & Adjustment, Team Action Concensus, or even just generally getting paid for keeping one's own Teammates alive & fighting on the battlefields. Lack of that critical TeamWork ends up resulting in a Team that is back-stabbing each other toxically through not helping each other, resulting in a bad Match for that side of the Battle. :o

Oh, and one last note... If you & others like you EVER want a large game population once again, then all of you will need to push towards getting away from the 'Current Hidden Requirement' of "a Perfect Body and Super-Fast Computer" to play properly. Otherwise, when this historically bloody period of time caused by the pandemic ends, MWO may thoroughly tank into the basement, failing to have any chance of surviving. Trust me when I tell you, MWO used to be a lot more fun and appealed to far more types of people, until it was torn down into feeling like a messed-up cross between the games of "World Of Tanks", "Hawken", and "Call Of Duty" as mixed in a boiling pot. I would think instead that you want this game to revive, grow, and survive for a minimum of another 20 years at the least? -_-

~Mr. D. V. "Force me to vent over topics like this? Consider this rather Ultimate Warning as being given!" Devnull

[One short Edit on the 2nd Paragraph by Post's Author because of a noticeable flow break. It's been fixed.]
[Second short Edit by this Post's Author when they realized there was accidental redundancy in wording on the final paragraph. Now fixed too!]

Edited by D V Devnull, 20 June 2020 - 12:58 AM.

#18 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 June 2020 - 01:00 AM

For the headshot challenge I just dusted off my PIR-2 and hunted for AFKs / discos.

#19 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 02:33 AM

View PostHorseman, on 20 June 2020 - 01:00 AM, said:

For the headshot challenge I just dusted off my PIR-2 and hunted for AFKs / discos.

Heh... you lucky stiff... :P

On the flipside, I'm unfortunately hearing from someone else that they could not catch a single AFK/Disco to smack in the Mech Noggin for scoring that. I have the feeling that I may end up suffering the same fate as them. :(

~D. V. "I can only hope my luck will be as good as yours, but I'm not banking on it." Devnull

#20 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 June 2020 - 02:57 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 20 June 2020 - 02:33 AM, said:

Heh... you lucky stiff... Posted Image

On the flipside, I'm unfortunately hearing from someone else that they could not catch a single AFK/Disco to smack in the Mech Noggin for scoring that. I have the feeling that I may end up suffering the same fate as them. Posted Image

~D. V. "I can only hope my luck will be as good as yours, but I'm not banking on it." Devnull

Sometimes you get them in a handful of matches, sometimes it takes a couple dozen... with a fast enough mech (and a max engine PIR definitely counts), it's just a matter of getting in the right match, and you only need the headshot once. Come on man, you have almost two weeks to do it. :)

In general, I find that it's preferable to start on the more difficult scoring goals (headshots, hit & runs, anything that requires deliberate action from your end) immediately and the others will just tick along anyway. If you do it the other way, chances are you'll end up scoring well in excess of what you actually needed for the "easy" goals and spending hell of a lot more time to do so.

Edited by Horseman, 20 June 2020 - 03:09 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users