The Reason You Are Getting Stomped Is Because You Are Not Fighting

65 replies to this topic

#1 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,792 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:04 PM

so i hear stomps are a problem. well it doesn't have to be if you follow these 3 easy steps:

1. find the enemy
2. go to the enemy
3. shoot the enemy

im seeing entire lances go out of their way to avoid contact with the enemy. if a 40 kph mech manages to get from the worst possible spawn to the front before heavies and mediums even get one grid from spawn, that is a very good sign that its going to be a stomp. there is slow and there is slow, and one of those is not about your mech's top speed. all this heel dragging is disgusting. you dopped into a combat game, pacifism is not the answer.

now im not saying go yolo into battle alone. people in fast mechs need to give slow mechs enough time to get into position. but try to set up in a timely fashion. dont eat up half the game clock moving four grids. dont make the bulk of the team go in under manned because you are off doing your own thing.

#2 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:20 PM

I could not agree more.

It's a sad day in a shooter when you have to remind your teammates to, well, shoot.

Also, group up with your ******* team. The general strategy of how to win games in qp has not changed in 8 years, begin the match, join up with your team, move around the map shooting mechs.

Doesn't matter which game mode. If it's conquest grab the 2 free caps and then everyone head toward theta and start shooting in the direction of the enemy.

#3 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:32 PM

But.. what about the people who want to support by running two light PPCs and a LRM5+Artemis from 1200m away? They're contributing!

#4 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,792 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:41 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 30 July 2020 - 08:32 PM, said:

But.. what about the people who want to support by running two light PPCs and a LRM5+Artemis from 1200m away? They're contributing!

oh they contribute, to the enemy.

#5 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:07 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 30 July 2020 - 08:04 PM, said:

so i hear stomps are a problem. well it doesn't have to be if you follow these 3 easy steps:

1. find the enemy
2. go to the enemy
3. shoot the enemy

Never stay at the back.
Always stay in the front.
Search for stretched enemy line.
Catch up to the rear.
Attack the slowpoke last mech.
Rinse and repeat and win.

#6 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:28 PM

I'm also seeing a lot of players not "playing their weight class"...

I've invested exclusively to running mediums and it's a damn shame when myself and other mediums out sponge and out damage heavies and assaults.

I find myself spear heading for no other reason than the fact that heavies and assaults can't muster the courage to expose and loose their weapons...

#7 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,792 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:42 PM

View PostDaZur, on 30 July 2020 - 09:28 PM, said:

I've invested exclusively to running mediums and it's a damn shame when myself and other mediums out sponge and out damage heavies and assaults.

I find myself spear heading for no other reason than the fact that heavies and assaults can't muster the courage to expose and loose their weapons...

most assault pilots are terrible. tonight ive been running around in an srm+laser+max engine awesome and wiping the floor with the enemy in cqb. i think nobody considers an awesome a threat and that really allows me to exploit the situation. its sad when you can pilot a walking billboard into combat and win.

#8 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 12:10 AM

I hate seeing people hiding behind buildings and rocks without firing a shot, especially if their team is already losing.

I have never understood what they are hoping for. That the enemy team will not find them there?

Usually they end up with a two-digit Match Score.

#9 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 01:34 AM

Agree with LordNothing.

Naive mode off.

Stealth mode on.

#10 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 04:29 AM

3%

#11 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 31 July 2020 - 04:50 AM

View Postmartian, on 31 July 2020 - 12:10 AM, said:

I hate seeing people hiding behind buildings and rocks without firing a shot, especially if their team is already losing.

I have never understood what they are hoping for. That the enemy team will not find them there?

Usually they end up with a two-digit Match Score.

They are hoping the enemy will wander in 1 at a time....and shoot at their buddy, not them. If multiple enemies appear or they get shot at and take damage they turn into a puddle of tears.

#12 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:07 AM

Matchscore has taught players never to be the first to be in contact and to use as little armor as possible dealing with the enemy.

What happens when all players are simultaneously trying to hide behind another player, including the assaults and heavies.

There is zero incentive to risk dying early since the PSR change, in fact quite the opposite.

Add to that watching a few subpar groups call for a push, hold back, then wait to clean up after solos have stripped armor trains players to wait until someone else strips armor to risk much damage.

The audio feedback and UI already incline players starting off to be risk averse, the new changes to PSR solidify that with subtle suggestions towards gameplay.

Yes, i know you're all elite pro players and when you turn your mouse 800 matchscore falls out, but for average or below average players the easiest ways to improve their performance are still taking components/kills after someone farms armor, a dash of ams, and a solid strike or two.

Having PSR gains be based only on wins and losses (with amount fairly split between the teams highest and lowest players but all rising) would have lead to players being more willing to sacrifice if it lead to a win, but since that isn't the case there is no teamplay it's "F-U, got mine" adversarial free for all play.

Pity, that.

#13 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:30 AM

Last night my team lost Grim Plexus Conquest because they sat at F5/6 and *would not move* to cap a single node. They were just gabbing away on voice comms about spotting enemies. Eventually I had to get Kappa and then suicide into Theta in my frigging ATM VEagle which ended predictably poorly since you know, an ATM boat isn't built for being shot at from every direction. I actually lost my cool and cussed out the imbeciles camping while we were getting capped out. It's OK though, I have found that in general with the quality of opposition in t3 I can put out big damage games in my VEagle and won't be in this tier for much longer. It's cheese play for sure but there is also something righteous about teaching bad players the folly of face tanking ATMs at their optimal range.

#14 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:48 AM

View PostDaZur, on 30 July 2020 - 09:28 PM, said:

Yeah, I'm usually a medium driver, but I've moved to heavies as of late because I'm tired of being on the front line in a 40-tonner, flanked by fellow meds and lights, while the heavies and assaults sit 500m away behind a rock. FFS it's disgusting to see 400 tons of useless mechs cowering while I'm at the front engaging the entire enemy team.

#15 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:53 AM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 31 July 2020 - 06:07 AM, said:

Matchscore has taught players never to be the first to be in contact and to use as little armor as possible dealing with the enemy.

If so they learned the wrong lesson. Yes, try to get shot as little as possible, but you must also shoot as much as possible. Nothing drives me more nuts than spectating some cowering assault who somehow fails to shoot when there are enemies right in front of him.

#16 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:27 AM

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 31 July 2020 - 04:50 AM, said:

They are hoping the enemy will wander in 1 at a time....and shoot at their buddy, not them. If multiple enemies appear or they get shot at and take damage they turn into a puddle of tears.

I guess that you are right.

My usual experience is that if the enemy team sees such cowardice, all enemy players rush forward and simply overwhelm such hiding pilots.

#17 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:39 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 31 July 2020 - 07:48 AM, said:

Yeah, I'm usually a medium driver, but I've moved to heavies as of late because I'm tired of being on the front line in a 40-tonner, flanked by fellow meds and lights, while the heavies and assaults sit 500m away behind a rock. FFS it's disgusting to see 400 tons of useless mechs cowering while I'm at the front engaging the entire enemy team.

To be honest I'm okay if they sit behind a rock... So long as they actively shoot something.

Had a match last night where 3/4 the team sat back passive until me in my paper-thin Uziel started pushing up and draw attention. I'm like seriously folks? I've got 50 tons I can barely spare but you're gonna sit back here protecting your pain jobs until the enemy is distracted to engage?

I actually had only one kill and just over 200 damage and went DOWN in PSR but my active engagement is what gave the team opportunity and ultimately means to win the match.

#18 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:52 AM

@OP
But when I at the front someone could scratch my paint. I just bought this mechs, you can't ask me to risk it in a computer game !

Sadly this kind of behavior/thinking is what I see not only in MWO. Strangely its the higher the tier the more you see it.

Low tiers are like -> https://i.pinimg.com...6c25bf35fe7.jpg

High tier -> https://img.memecdn...._o_2657451.webp

#19 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,792 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:55 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 31 July 2020 - 06:30 AM, said:

Last night my team lost Grim Plexus Conquest because they sat at F5/6 and *would not move* to cap a single node. They were just gabbing away on voice comms about spotting enemies. Eventually I had to get Kappa and then suicide into Theta in my frigging ATM VEagle which ended predictably poorly since you know, an ATM boat isn't built for being shot at from every direction. I actually lost my cool and cussed out the imbeciles camping while we were getting capped out. It's OK though, I have found that in general with the quality of opposition in t3 I can put out big damage games in my VEagle and won't be in this tier for much longer. It's cheese play for sure but there is also something righteous about teaching bad players the folly of face tanking ATMs at their optimal range.

ive seen some pro camping from that spot but unless you can hit 95% of the time with a huge alpha, and there are enough players trading, then its a horrible spot. you need multiple players in a build that can hit 800+ meters at full damage with direct fire weapons. for everyone else its hamburger hill.

brawlers and medium range skirmishers are better off moving up a grid to the f6-7 trench. there is excellent cover there and it is a lot easier to control with multiple avenues of attack for medium to short range builds. provided you dont get all lethargic from that point on you usually do well (granted in the scope of this thread 'doing well' is not creating a stomp).

#20 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,792 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:06 AM

View PostDaZur, on 31 July 2020 - 08:39 AM, said:

To be honest I'm okay if they sit behind a rock... So long as they actively shoot something.

Had a match last night where 3/4 the team sat back passive until me in my paper-thin Uziel started pushing up and draw attention. I'm like seriously folks? I've got 50 tons I can barely spare but you're gonna sit back here protecting your pain jobs until the enemy is distracted to engage?

I actually had only one kill and just over 200 damage and went DOWN in PSR but my active engagement is what gave the team opportunity and ultimately means to win the match.

was that on polar? i may have been on the other side of that, i recall a very brave uziel giving me a hard time in my awesome. i put a couple srm volleys into it but had to break off to deal with a couple stealth ravens in our lines.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users