187 replies to this topic

#141 Bolo Atari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 259 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 18 September 2020 - 10:27 AM

Casual-class or lesser players? Sir, I am offended at that accurate description of me ... TWICE!!

But really, anything less and you'd have the l33+ coming here to whin ... complai ... bitc ... declare it's too easy.

#142 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 11:04 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 18 September 2020 - 09:19 AM, said:

Okay, folks... This has triggered me to get into a wall-of-text type of post... Here comes some devastating truth! Posted Image

Unfortunately, this is starting to introduce a rather permanent problem with the Current Community which exists, gameplay, and the Achievements System as it is currently designed.

Two points:
1. Not with the Achievements System, but with "one" specific achievement.
2. Not all achievement are made to be easy to achieve.

The item in-game under Achievements called "Phoenix Down" which grants '500 General XP' when earned has the startling REQUIREMENT of killing a 'Phoenix (P) Mech Sub-Variant' with a 'Non-Phoenix Mech Variant' in normal Quick Play battles. If we reach the point where nobody that still plays has a 'Phoenix (P) Mech Sub-Variant' to bring out on the battlefields, then this Achievement becomes PERMANENTLY IMPOSSIBLE to earn and the Reward then is also permanently locked away from ever being reached.

I met one "Phoenix" Shadow Hawk in the game less than one week ago.

It is obvious that "Phoenix" 'Mechs are still present in the game. ("forcemac", the third player of the Bravo Lance from the victorious team)

Check this screen capture, please:

Posted Image

In essence, those of the Ex-Community (as in, those who have left) would have made it impossible for any New Players (or just simply those of the Current Community who don't have it yet) to ever complete that Achievement in particular. Sadly, PGI would then have to take the unnecessary heat for something that is actually the Ex-Community's fault, or they would have to break their word to people who really don't care anymore and make it possible for people from the Current Community to get those 'Phoenix (P) Mech Sub-Variants' so that the game would not be devoid of those ever and the Achievement could still be earned. This is one situation where the Ex-Community should NEVER be allowed to "have their cake and eat it too" because of the damage which it would cause in the Current Community that exists. Posted Image

Ex-Community? Are you serious? Any MWO account owner can return to the game just at any moment. I took about two years pause from MWO.

Put simply, when those who bought the 'Phoenix (P) Mech Sub-Variants' MADE their purchase, even if such was never in writing, they took on an agreement to ALWAYS continue playing and NEVER leave the MWO game.

What a ridiculous nonsense.

By the way, the current Achievement System has been introduced a long time "after" those Phoenix 'Mechs were sold.

If they are UNABLE to hold up their side of the agreement bargain, then they do NOT deserve to have ANY weight in the matter of whether (or not) those 'Phoenix (P) Mech Sub-Variants' are ever sold by PGI again!

Three points:
1. PGI offered something clearly and unambiguously ("NEVER again available Variants ") and took cash for it. It is a binding agreement, not your nonsense about "Ex-Community" and so on. PGI would need a pretty good reason to break it.
2. Both "Phoenix Pack" owners and non-owners cast their votes in that aforementioned "Phoenix Pack Re-release" poll. And the end result of the poll was clear: Not to release "Phoenix Pack".
3. "Phoenix Pack" owners have never agreed on your "bargain".

And YES, that INCLUDES keeping the MWO game from having a DeadLock of any kind, even through any Unreachable Achievement that should NEVER have ended up in that ugly & obtuse state! Those of the Ex-Community should NEVER be allowed to wrongfully hurt MWO and its' Current Community through restricting the 'Phoenix (P) Mech Sub-Variants' from being found in occasional regular gameplay!!! Posted Image

~Mr. D. V. "Ex-Community wants to welch on the deal? PGI should do 'Phoenix (P) Sub-Variant' Sales again!" Devnull

I am almost certain that having some legal problems with the Consumer Protection Service of British Columbia or with the Federal Trade Commission is the last thing Russ Bullock wants.

(p.s.: Something can very much as equally be said towards PGI of the "Death Star" Achievement due to how that has been rendered likely permanently unachievable through the game's Balance Changes and therefore probably should have been made possible to earn through the Faction Play modes.)

LOL

#143 CycKath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,574 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:08 PM

Okay, folks... This has triggered me to get into a wall-of-text type of post... Here comes some devastating truth! Posted Image

Easy solution - remove the XP bonus.

#144 Skydrive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 286 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:18 PM

Loving how derailed this is becoming, with orders of salty popcorn (popcorn in this case is actually on topic) with extra salt. If something is sold for limited time, and wording shows it to be exclusive, then there is a good chance that making it available again would be problematic legally, because YOU know someone would be making some calls, sending some papers, that kinda stuff.
As for unobtainable Achievements, I'd consider the Death Star title much better then a 500 GXP reward, it isn't that appetizing, nor is it crucial. If it was some unique War Horn, then sure... though a Death Star War Horn would probably be cooler. Your, rather unreasonable demands seem to be forgetting something, there are Four Phoenix mechs, count it 4, actually make that 3, if anyone runs a Locust, it's going to be a PB, so compare those Three Phoenix mechs to the number of non Phoenix mechs. I may now and then take one onto the field, but not going to pilot only them religiously and suffer the burn. I also don't expect myself to kill a Phoenix mech any time soon, and I'm ok with that, I'm not playing for Achievements, I'm playing for the Game Play, blow up some mechs... and get my moneys worth.
P.S. Would it be possible at some point to release the Atlas Glowing Eyes for only the Left Eye at half price? I really want to have a baleful glowing eye for my Founders Atlas, and possibly for one of my AS7-S(L)'s.

#145 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:18 PM

(p.s.: Something can very much as equally be said towards PGI of the "Death Star" Achievement due to how that has been rendered likely permanently unachievable through the game's Balance Changes and therefore probably should have been made possible to earn through the Faction Play modes.)

This is, as far as I know, totally possible. Just deliver 12 killing blows in a Faction Play Match with the same Mech. A thing I think is achievable under the right circumstances by a reasonably skilled player.

Posted Image Back to topic, thanks for the 4-Day Challenge, Matt! 50 components is a challenge for sure, but I feel it's doable. Posted Image

#146 Skydrive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 286 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:24 PM

I forgot to mention this earlier, but I believe the Grid Iron Limited also came with a module that affected AC10 cooldown rate... never used it though.

#147 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,574 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:37 PM

View PostSkydrive, on 18 September 2020 - 02:24 PM, said:

I forgot to mention this earlier, but I believe the Grid Iron Limited also came with a module that affected AC10 cooldown rate... never used it though.

Don't recall that, only the Clan Invasion wave one got exclusive modules IIRC. Not to mention stock the Grid Iron sported a Gauss Rifle not an AC/10.

#148 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:54 PM

View PostSkydrive, on 18 September 2020 - 02:24 PM, said:

I do not think so.

However, the "Grid Iron" was given the Gauss Rifle quirk, allowing it to fire its Gauss Rifle every two seconds.

#149 Skydrive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 286 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 05:31 AM

View PostCycKath, on 18 September 2020 - 09:37 PM, said:

Don't recall that, only the Clan Invasion wave one got exclusive modules IIRC. Not to mention stock the Grid Iron sported a Gauss Rifle not an AC/10.

Due to Internet, followed by computer issues I took a loooong break, but still made purchases, such as the Phoenix Medium 45 ton mech pack, the Urbie pack, Origins IIC, and the Grid Iron. While I was playing, there was no AC 10 cooldown modules, but after I bought the GI, I had one.

#150 Hiten Bongz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 228 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:09 PM

So we get the same exact cockpit item with Challenge #4 as Challenge #1?

That's pretty lame.

#151 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:54 PM

View PostHiten Bongz, on 19 September 2020 - 07:09 PM, said:

That's pretty lame.

This is nothing unusual. I have a lot of "8-bit Sunglasses". Posted Image

#152 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 20 September 2020 - 11:35 PM

View PostHiten Bongz, on 19 September 2020 - 07:09 PM, said:

That's pretty lame.

Actually, even though I have NOT been able to start Mini-Challenge #4 prior to now, Standing Cockpit Items with a Kill-Linked Animation are stuff I'll be happily glad to have. And yes, regardless of what they are, even though I have more of a preference for Hanging Cockpit Items and/or WarHorns as of the last couple of years. :)

Of course, that's provided I even have a bloody chance now, what with a Game Patch incoming. I'm now of the hope that there will be an extra 1-Day Extension granted to offset the effects of the Patch happening, because I know it takes quite a while after loading in 13 KB of Patch Data to do a Validate on the game install, even though one would think it shouldn't take so long. More thoughts from me about that are on the Patch Notes 1.4.230.0 Thread itself. :(

~D. V. "Standing, but has a Kill Animation? I'll still take it!" Devnull

#153 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 21 September 2020 - 05:28 AM

DV calm down, you're getting hysterical again- don't go back to the old days when no one had any idea what you were ranting about at any given moment and only you got your jokes and little signatures at the end of every post. Most of the time you're entertaining, let's stick to that DV, not old-school crazy DV.

That challenge, if you're talking about the one I think you are- is super simple and quick to finish. Run some dakka if you have it, but really with those low thresholds anything should work. It's what, 50 components, a solo kill, 5 KMDD and 5k damage? That's like, 5-10 matches, extreme worst case. You'll get it buddy, don't stress over it.

#154 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:59 AM

Completed Mini-Challenge #4 three times in about 5 hours play over two days; the right mechs, working with your team drop mates, focusing on targets and the odd beverage (tipple of choice) and relax. Scores come through quite smoothly if you don't over do it.

#155 DeadWeight18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Silent Killer
  • The Silent Killer
  • 263 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg

Posted 25 September 2020 - 01:09 AM

Next 2-Day Challenge please!!!!

#156 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 11:29 AM

View PostDeadWeight18, on 25 September 2020 - 01:09 AM, said:

Next 2-Day Challenge please!!!!

Agreed... But, it should also stick to still having a 4-Day run too. I think that's about the comfortable spot for these Mini-Challenges, particularly for any sets of people who have to share (and really can not afford better than) a single not-so-great computer. :)

As for the Mini-Challenge Difficulty on one that runs for 4 Days, another MWO pilot that I've spoken with offline agreed with me that Mini-Challenge #4's situation was indeed a little on the overly steep side. I can only hope our friendly Matt Newman turns that dial down just a hair, without weakening the Rewards given. He really had that one just a little on the harsh side of alright, so I'm really looking forward to the conditions improving in terms of being a little more gentle. :huh:

Other than that, I'm still waiting for the Mini-Challenge that involves a TAG to complete it. Oh, those cute and sweet red beams! I wouldn't even blame Matt Newman for making the title "Class, you can blame 'D V Devnull' for this!", because I'm asking for it. Knowing my luck, I'll probably get deluged with nasty retorts for it. :P

~Mr. D. V. "Trying to help improve the Mini-Challenge Formula....... Perhaps I'm a little too TAG-happy?" Devnull

#157 Malsumis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 26 September 2020 - 03:52 AM

Phase 5 Challenges is missing the Dragon Slayer. The event lists it under the sales, but there is not a challenge for the chassis on the event pages.

#158 Dirt Devil1

• PipPipPip
  • Major
  • Major
  • 53 posts
  • LocationCoquille, OR

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:10 AM

The Dragon Slayer is in Phase 6

#159 Malsumis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:19 AM

View PostDirt Devil1, on 26 September 2020 - 04:10 AM, said:

The Dragon Slayer is in Phase 6

Yes it is! My mistake, however I thought the mechs that were on sale during each phase were part of that phase's challenges.

#160 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 10:29 PM

View PostMalsumis, on 26 September 2020 - 04:19 AM, said:

I thought the mechs that were on sale during each phase were part of that phase's challenges.

The available Hero Mechs that are On-Sale usually are part of a given Phase's list of Challenges to play through. I would bet you that our friendly Matt Newman will confirm that this was an honest accident, being made up for by having the Challenge be part of the following Phase. They have happened before, could easily happen again, and there's no reason to be upset either, albeit one could be moderately confused. ;)

~Mr. D. V. "This is just a non-consequential offset. Nothing to worry over, I think?" Devnull

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users