#41 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 04 October 2020 - 03:00 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 04 October 2020 - 06:06 AM, said:

50 year old white dudes? Bruh. Ur too woke 4 me. Xir being a little strange calling in skin colour, aren't you?

I'm just going on my experience, really. Most players I've met are white guys in their 30's-60's, so I just kinda averaged it. I don't really think it's political or controversial to observe what a particular niche IP's fan base happens to be. There's always outliers and exceptions(waiting for Novakaine to come yell at me), but you certainly don't see a huge number of younger people playing MWO, there's a decent handful of females, but not a lot. I'm in my thirties, so I'm including myself in the old white guys group as well.

#42 Mech Walesa

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 11:13 PM

View PostRyokens leap, on 30 September 2020 - 10:47 AM, said:

Tired of MWO, Star Wars Squadrons drops Friday and is $40ish with NO micro transactions. Decent price for a proper sim, hope to see you there.

Number of mechs in that game = 0

#43 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 11:58 PM

View PostKodyn, on 04 October 2020 - 03:00 PM, said:

I'm just going on my experience, really. Most players I've met are white guys in their 30's-60's, so I just kinda averaged it. I don't really think it's political or controversial to observe what a particular niche IP's fan base happens to be. There's always outliers and exceptions(waiting for Novakaine to come yell at me), but you certainly don't see a huge number of younger people playing MWO, there's a decent handful of females, but not a lot. I'm in my thirties, so I'm including myself in the old white guys group as well.

& how do you know what colour someones skin is from the sound of their voice?
You maybe know a few people personally from MWO but definitely not enough to come to the conclusion that most are one colour or the other, not even the proportion of male to female players.
This all smells a bit too much of that 'Twitch Deer/Lady/boy' thing to me & that's a rotten stench that no one should every have been subjected to.

#44 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 12:05 AM

@OP
My thoughts at the moment is to ride this ship for all its worth till it sinks as their may not be another for 20 years
Don't know if I will be still playing video games then. Posted Image

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 05 October 2020 - 12:05 AM.

#45 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 05 October 2020 - 11:08 AM

View PostBiomechtric, on 04 October 2020 - 11:58 PM, said:

& how do you know what colour someones skin is from the sound of their voice?
You maybe know a few people personally from MWO but definitely not enough to come to the conclusion that most are one colour or the other, not even the proportion of male to female players.
This all smells a bit too much of that 'Twitch Deer/Lady/boy' thing to me & that's a rotten stench that no one should every have been subjected to.

I'm not going to get into a big debate over this with people trying to be woke...It's been brought up in threads over the years that this game has a niche base, most of us are fully aware of what that base looks like- if that bothers you, I really don't know what to tell you. I'd be willing to bet if you could figure out who bought gold mechs and who bought the most mech packs over the years, it'd support this widely presumed premise, one which I didn't come up with mind you- only pointed out in this particular conversation.

If you really care that much, ask people who've been to Mech Con, perhaps the general consensus is in fact wrong and it wasn't a sea of white bodies. I don't personally care, other than the fact that I wish the game were able to be marketed to a broader base, which is an issue with any niche IP, particularly one this old. BT isn't Star Wars/Trek, where you have a huge, diverse pool of fans all willing to spend money.

It's not about the race, or even gender, it's more about age ranges. I'm sure there's some younger people playing MWO, though most were probably introduced by parents or older siblings/friends. But a generation raised on today's graphics and gameplay are going to have a harder time being patient with MWO's flaws than us old-heads who've usually seen worse somewhere, and just gotta get our big stompy robot fix. If you guys want to continue to try to tear me apart for my wording, have at it, but I said my bit, made my point, I'm leaving it alone to avoid further drama and triggering. If I'm wrong I'm wrong. I doubt it though.

#46 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 04:17 PM

View PostKodyn, on 05 October 2020 - 11:08 AM, said:

I'm not going to get into a big debate over this with people trying to be woke...It's been brought up in threads over the years that this game has a niche base, most of us are fully aware of what that base looks like- if that bothers you, I really don't know what to tell you. I'd be willing to bet if you could figure out who bought gold mechs and who bought the most mech packs over the years, it'd support this widely presumed premise, one which I didn't come up with mind you- only pointed out in this particular conversation.

If you really care that much, ask people who've been to Mech Con, perhaps the general consensus is in fact wrong and it wasn't a sea of white bodies. I don't personally care, other than the fact that I wish the game were able to be marketed to a broader base, which is an issue with any niche IP, particularly one this old. BT isn't Star Wars/Trek, where you have a huge, diverse pool of fans all willing to spend money.

It's not about the race, or even gender, it's more about age ranges. I'm sure there's some younger people playing MWO, though most were probably introduced by parents or older siblings/friends. But a generation raised on today's graphics and gameplay are going to have a harder time being patient with MWO's flaws than us old-heads who've usually seen worse somewhere, and just gotta get our big stompy robot fix. If you guys want to continue to try to tear me apart for my wording, have at it, but I said my bit, made my point, I'm leaving it alone to avoid further drama and triggering. If I'm wrong I'm wrong. I doubt it though.

You brought it up, I merely stated a fact in that you can't know for sure & why you think it bothers me & call me woke after stating that I find the most woke thing to ever hit Twitch, no, sorry the internet, no, sorry humanity to have a rotten stench is beyond me.
The fact you seem to find PGI's business plan to be racist is well, kinda woke no?
My opinion that I will close with is that ALL LIVES MATTER! Not just a select few, anything else is just replacing what we had with more of the same, only turned in another direction.

#47 colt

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:18 PM

I was gone for only maybe three months, suddenly i'm getting murder-caded by whatever adjustments were made. My best builds had been fine, then poof. Ded within seconds in contact the enemy. it's stupid.

#48 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 08:00 PM

In case you didn't know solo and group queues have been merged together
So solo queue now has 4 man groups
Maybe you missed the change.

#49 Dashen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 02:47 AM

I'm still blasting people off and i've always been a solo player, the only difference is that now i tell my team to do stuff instead of shutting up and complaining on the forums.

Maybe this merge has brought up a lot of sunken potatoes, if you're struggling then your gameplay stinks, that or your build is atrocious.

#50 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 06 October 2020 - 05:38 AM

Played my last game.Got 5 kills and highest damage.Think I'll retire on that.
A quick cheerio to anybody I've met in game.
MWO it's been a blast at times but the moving pre mades into the solo queue is a mistake.I know it's down to population but it's just not fun anymore.
See you on the other side guys.

#51 Heavy Money

• The Marauder
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 03:26 PM

I started playing less than a month ago. Having a great time. I came to check out the forums for the first time, and its full of doom and gloom! Maybe it was better back in the day, but as a new player, I'm left scratching my head about some of the complaints.

I mostly play with a couple friends at a time. Sometimes we're a 4 man. I have not really experienced the effect of getting stomped by premades, nor of really stomping people. Maybe I'm just new, but the other people I play with are not. Generally we find that our lance can't save a bad team from a good team. We often score very well while the rest of our team crumbles. I've never seen a single 8 or 12 man premade (at least, not of the same unit tag.)

One of the things I like about this game is that, while there are obviously mechs that are better than others, the main deciding factor in games is team cohesion and people making the right tactical choices, not if some mechs differ by a few % in firepower or durability. It leaves room to try out different builds and variants. Its not like lots of games where if you don't show up in the best meta build, you might as well not show up at all. I realize this is likely more of an issue in competitive play (it always is) but there's plenty of non-comp play going on from what I've seen.

And what's the big deal about nascar? Are people not supposed to move around or try to push flanks? Why do people get so upset about this?

Edited by Heavy Money, 06 October 2020 - 03:37 PM.

#52 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:48 AM

View PostKodyn, on 03 October 2020 - 02:56 PM, said:

I have no desire for a sim, so when I get paid Thursday, if Squadrons feels as good as friends who've played tell me it is, it could be the end of MWO for me. I have no attachment to BT lore, whereas I do to Star Wars, so if it's just a more fun game, a more satisfying experience, that's really all I need.

This has always been one of MWO's biggest issues. Most of us probably aren't here for the TT lore. We just like big stompy robots, or other sci-fi type vehicles. When the game stops being fun, there's no real strings keeping us here, other than time and money invested. If you're going to make a game based on a niche IP, you'd better make it good enough to draw in people from outside that niche. PGI's entire business model seems to have been based on 50-something year old white dudes with more money than sense and nostalgia for BT, and once they stopped paying or playing, the funds dried up. By attempting to keep so many things lore-friendly, they've avoided making the game more appealing for non-BT fanboys, which obviously wasn't a sustainable model.

Behind every monitor in MWO, it's just some old white guy.
Posted Image

#53 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:15 AM

Having tried it now, Squadrons does seem engaging, but it's definitely not going to scratch the same itch. I played a bit and it kinda made me want to go back and fire up Elite, because bigger ships, better controls.

Guess I'll be stuck being a bitter old white guy in MWO til the lights go out. More than half the matches I encounter don't result in enjoyment, but I guess the dopamine hit off the few good ones will have to be enough.

I have to say one thing PGI did right, at least in terms of targeting people like me- the amount of mechs. I know I have most of the better mechs, I know I don't need more, but I'll keep buying and trying new mechs. I'll keep buying back old mechs I hated and sold and trying to make them work. There's not much else to do in MWO, but I've always been the type to enjoy variety and collecting different options. As long as I don't own every single mech(which I never will because I don't plan on buying more than my 123 bays), I'll be able to find something to do, provided there's still matches going.

There's not a another game in this genre with that level of choice, even if it is a bit of a false choice- since many of the mechs are terrible, many are too similar, and there's a lot of silly limits on how we customize builds, due to lore and/or coding issues. Still, it's something.

#54 RustyBolts

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:24 AM

Bad decisions by Russ and Paul put this game on life support years ago. It is just now getting to its dying breaths.

#55 Charles Sennet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • 387 posts
  • LocationCurrently obscured by ECM

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:59 PM

View Postmartian, on 01 October 2020 - 12:22 PM, said:

The game has become almost unplayable:

The typical situation is that one team has a premade group with carefully selected 'Mechs, while the other team has no premade group and a half of the team is sitting in Hero Wolverines that they were given free of charge five months ago and that they have never ever piloted.

It is no wonder that MWO players are leaving.

100% agree. Premades in solo Q will bring about the end if not reversed.

#56 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:12 PM

Personally I don't think groups added or the PSR reset made much difference.

Oh and for the record, while no one actually asked for the merger, but it was inevitable when the.

NON Comp players that wanted to group, but didn't want to do clan warfare or whatever it's called these days, complained loudly about long wait times.

#57 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:25 PM

View PostBlaizerP, on 29 September 2020 - 09:21 PM, said:

Nobody wanted this.

Nobody wanted the group queue merged with QP?

#58 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:32 PM

no one that plays anymore.

#59 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:29 PM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 19 October 2020 - 08:32 PM, said:

no one that plays anymore.

Well nothing last for ever not even the Universe

#60 evil kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 11:34 PM

why is there groups in qp? theres 3 other group modes already. theyre called comp que, faction play, and 2v2 solaris. no reason to have groups in qp too, especially when sync dropping is already a thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users