• 3,368 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 06 October 2020 - 07:20 AM

+1 agree!
This also encourages team play.

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 06 October 2020 - 06:46 AM, said:

Easy to implement change: add KMD(s) in final score screen. This is an important contribution stat (just as important as kills if not more so) that should be public at end of match.

#102 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 07:48 AM

KMDDs aren't necessarily that useful of a stat because they encourage using sandblasting weapons (streaks, mrms, ATMs, lrms) as opposed to efficiently downing mechs. Kills are much more important than KMDDs imo.

#103 KRZZPFFF

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 07:52 AM

Welcome back! See you on the battlefields :-)

#104 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:00 AM

View PostBrauer, on 06 October 2020 - 07:48 AM, said:

KMDDs aren't necessarily that useful of a stat because they encourage using sandblasting weapons (streaks, mrms, ATMs, lrms) as opposed to efficiently downing mechs. Kills are much more important than KMDDs imo.

I think the overall damage dealt stat already does that. I doubt KMDDs would have a huge impact in that regard. You already get more rewards for doing 1000 dmg and no kills (or even KMDD's) than you do for 200 dmg and 4 solo kills. The suggestion was just to have it visible to the rest of the team, rather than it count for anything more or less than it already does.

#105 DAEDALOS513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:13 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 06 October 2020 - 08:00 AM, said:

I think the overall damage dealt stat already does that. I doubt KMDDs would have a huge impact in that regard. You already get more rewards for doing 1000 dmg and no kills (or even KMDD's) than you do for 200 dmg and 4 solo kills. The suggestion was just to have it visible to the rest of the team, rather than it count for anything more or less than it already does.

View PostBrauer, on 06 October 2020 - 07:48 AM, said:

If I get 2 kills but say only 200dmg.. people might think I 'stole' those kills instead of being efficient. KMD's need to be visible to all.. nevertheless, 'sandblasting' opponents plays a role too because if it can be done quickly.. it opens them up for the kill shot or even critting out their weapons.. You can't deny the sandblasting effectiveness of certain mechs like the heavy lrm boat that wears down the enemy at range for the team.. or the streak treb that can take anything 1v1.. or even any lb40 mech..

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 06 October 2020 - 08:29 AM.

#106 Ruediger Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 512 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:14 AM

Please, don´t give me hope ...

#107 selfish shellfish

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:29 AM

My suggestions regarding MWO development (not in any particular order):

- Override heat shutdown:

In the older Mechwarrior titles no matter how much you fired you would always get those couple of seconds to engage the override once the heat bar reached the threshold. If you decided to engage the override then after those seconds you would start to pay the price in damage. It was not complicated at all. It was actually rather simple and enjoyable mechanism. If you figured you had not shot too much you could avoid a shutdown and take little or no damage.

In MWO the time to react is tied to the time it takes for the heat to rise from 80-100%. Depending on how much heat you are producing you can go over that 20% faster than you have time to react and press the override button. This means in practice you will always need to remember to engage the override before you start shooting.

Then we have the heat spike from side torso destruction. This happens suddenly and results in an instant shutdown. With the fixed timer you would have a chance to engage the override if you figured you had enough heat capacity to survive it.

- Ultra AC mouse button/finger destroyer:

We had a brief test period where holding down the mouse button would cause Ultra-AC to double shoot. With a single click you could control the fire and avoid the jam chance. This seemed much better and less stressful on the hand and the mouse buttons. This could be made a toggle in the options for those who would prefer it.

- Day/Night cycle on maps:

I would advocate the removal of this feature. Not only is it silly and jarring to have a day/night cycle during a match it also causes an annoying freeze when the lighting changes. Better to have the map start as night, day or dusk and stay that way for the duration of the match.

- Last man standing radar sweep:
(especially for skirmish mode)
When a game has lasted for several minutes and there is only one mech left alive on the other team a radar sweep should show the position of the mechs from time to time. This would ensure you find the disconnected players or those shut down on purpose to hide out the match.

- FIX Set matchmaking preferences - region selection bug:

If you start MWO and immediately click on the small arrow next to the "Quick Play" button you can select your server locations. If you go into a match and come back you can't. You need to reboot the game to restore the functionality.

- FIX Heat bug:

Sometimes it is possible that the heat of a mech is not dissipating correctly. Maybe this bug only manifests on a mech equipped with Light XL engine. In this case you get a constant heat dissipation penalty as if you had lost the side torso.

#108 Valley Pirate

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:34 AM

View PostHandley Page, on 05 October 2020 - 11:16 AM, said:

Like going into the resturant on the Titantic after it hit the iceberg to order a nice long five course meal.

If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to be here. Try to grow up a bit, please, or just leave. Either is fine and both would be better for literally everyone, including yourself.

#109 selfish shellfish

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:56 AM

I hesitated to add this on the list since it has been this way from the beginning of the game and likely won't change, but here goes:

Add a normalize sound volume option. This would be particularly useful for the weapon fire sound effects which tend to multiply the volume depending on how many of the same type are fired. This can be quite deafening when spectating someone who is firing multiple AC-2's for example.

Alternatively you could look into softening some of sounds samples on wepons like AC-2 & AC-5. The sound sample is very square waved and hard on the ears.

#110 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:57 AM

View Postselfish shellfish, on 06 October 2020 - 08:29 AM, said:

My suggestions regarding MWO development (not in any particular order):

- Override heat shutdown:

In the older Mechwarrior titles no matter how much you fired you would always get those couple of seconds to engage the override once the heat bar reached the threshold. If you decided to engage the override then after those seconds you would start to pay the price in damage. It was not complicated at all. It was actually rather simple and enjoyable mechanism. If you figured you had not shot too much you could avoid a shutdown and take little or no damage.

In MWO the time to react is tied to the time it takes for the heat to rise from 80-100%. Depending on how much heat you are producing you can go over that 20% faster than you have time to react and press the override button. This means in practice you will always need to remember to engage the override before you start shooting.

Then we have the heat spike from side torso destruction. This happens suddenly and results in an instant shutdown. With the fixed timer you would have a chance to engage the override if you figured you had enough heat capacity to survive it.

- Ultra AC mouse button/finger destroyer:

We had a brief test period where holding down the mouse button would cause Ultra-AC to double shoot. With a single click you could control the fire and avoid the jam chance. This seemed much better and less stressful on the hand and the mouse buttons. This could be made a toggle in the options for those who would prefer it.

- Day/Night cycle on maps:

I would advocate the removal of this feature. Not only is it silly and jarring to have a day/night cycle during a match it also causes an annoying freeze when the lighting changes. Better to have the map start as night, day or dusk and stay that way for the duration of the match.

- Last man standing radar sweep:
(especially for skirmish mode)
When a game has lasted for several minutes and there is only one mech left alive on the other team a radar sweep should show the position of the mechs from time to time. This would ensure you find the disconnected players or those shut down on purpose to hide out the match.

- FIX Set matchmaking preferences - region selection bug:

If you start MWO and immediately click on the small arrow next to the "Quick Play" button you can select your server locations. If you go into a match and come back you can't. You need to reboot the game to restore the functionality.

- FIX Heat bug:

Sometimes it is possible that the heat of a mech is not dissipating correctly. Maybe this bug only manifests on a mech equipped with Light XL engine. In this case you get a constant heat dissipation penalty as if you had lost the side torso.

So while I like the aesthetic of the day/night cycle, and having to dynamically figure out your lighting options, I agree that it should go away until it can be done smoothly, without causing everyone to drop to 2 FPS for a few seconds. For that matter, it'd be really nice if the dropships didn't drop you to 2 FPS at the start of a match, too. Little things. :)

As far as the last-man-standing radar sweep, I would suggest either that, or an option to "withdraw" without the suicide penalty. In real combat, or in any of the battletech scenarios, the guy who's had all of his weapons destroyed would either attempt to take his 'mech back to base, or eject if it wasn't salvageable. That also fits with a "pay for repairs" mod to the game that would give the game the sense of Simulation that the other MechWarrior titles had that this one is lacking. Along with that, we could also add repair bays that patch up armor and re-equip ammo. The stock Catapult that only carries 2 tons of ammo was expected to stand near an ammo truck, or an ammo dump. It wasn't expected to ACTUALLY be useless after just a minute or two... These also provide strategic targets to defend or destroy, and can make a match last a bit longer unless it's an absolute stomp.

#111 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:24 AM

Welcome back to your dreamjob Bombadil !

I especially fondly remember the first years of MWO and your work with Phil at NGNG, the Podcasts, the almost daily Kill Phil Sessions (he was not killed nearly enough imho :D).

I think a first break came when Garth Erlam left (as little influential i experienced him he was sort of a MWO Stream mascot to me meant in the most positive way).

I allways felt that Phil was very (read to much) prominent in the public appearance of NGNG and i would have liked more Bombadil bcs i had the perception that you both were complementary to each other and i also like your taste of music much better ;)

So hope here is you will have a good long time at your new old dreamjob and succeed in helping to boost the prominence of MW5 and steer MWO around the cliffs of age to another dawn!

#112 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:34 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 06 October 2020 - 08:00 AM, said:

So why include an additional stat in the end round screen which encourages sandblasting? What do KMDDs add on top of damage? Not much imo. Solo kills would add more.

#113 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:37 AM

View PostBrauer, on 06 October 2020 - 09:34 AM, said:

So why include an additional stat in the end round screen which encourages sandblasting? What do KMDDs add on top of damage? Not much imo. Solo kills would add more.

I already explained the reason.. give it another read..

#114 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:40 AM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 06 October 2020 - 08:13 AM, said:

If I get 2 kills but say only 200dmg.. people might think I 'stole' those kills instead of being efficient. KMD's need to be visible to all.. nevertheless, 'sandblasting' opponents plays a role too because if it can be done quickly.. it opens them up for the kill shot or even critting out their weapons.. You can't deny the sandblasting effectiveness of certain mechs like the heavy lrm boat that wears down the enemy at range for the team.. or the streak treb that can take anything 1v1.. or even any lb40 mech..

What do you care what others think based on the end round screen? QP isn't a place to prove much of anything.

To your other points, sure streak boats, and sandblasting builds can contribute, but do they need to be further encouraged by adding KMDDs to the end round screen? People can already see the damage dealt stat for that. Not to mention sandblasting doesn't take a whole lot of skill so it is also, imo, not worth giving more recognition.

To your other points, lrm heavies are fine, but not really that impactful overall. A streak treb can't "take anything". At best it will beat up on anything about 45 tons and lighter. A bigger mech will just stomp it into the ground and MANY 50 or 55 ton mechs will wreck it as well. LBX10 mechs similarly can be useful, but they don't offer the overall flexibility and game-long impact of uac builds because the LBXs need to close in to do effective damage.

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 06 October 2020 - 09:37 AM, said:

I already explained the reason.. give it another read..

Wait your turn for your reply next time.

#115 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:41 AM

There is a now over two year old topic pinned at the top of FP sub-forum with over 1,100 responses. I suggest you start reading and drop any pretext of needing further interaction with the players.

Edited by Spheroid, 06 October 2020 - 09:44 AM.

#116 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:50 AM

View PostBrauer, on 06 October 2020 - 09:40 AM, said:

What do you care what others think based on the end round screen? QP isn't a place to prove much of anything.

To your other points, sure streak boats, and sandblasting builds can contribute, but do they need to be further encouraged by adding KMDDs to the end round screen? People can already see the damage dealt stat for that. Not to mention sandblasting doesn't take a whole lot of skill so it is also, imo, not worth giving more recognition.

To your other points, lrm heavies are fine, but not really that impactful overall. A streak treb can't "take anything". At best it will beat up on anything about 45 tons and lighter. A bigger mech will just stomp it into the ground and MANY 50 or 55 ton mechs will wreck it as well. LBX10 mechs similarly can be useful, but they don't offer the overall flexibility and game-long impact of uac builds because the LBXs need to close in to do effective damage.

Your points fall flat.. Qp isn't a place to prove anything? Streak treb will only take out a 45 tonner or light? Maneuvaribility and jets trumps tonnage most of the time. I can't count the number of times we've won a match when out-tonned.. certainly more than not. You'll be surprised what a non-meta mech can do in the right hands (or once you gain enough experience).. but you keep taking your 5 or 6 'effective' mechs.. personally I like variety (and a challenge).

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 06 October 2020 - 10:29 AM.

#117 Melonic

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 52 posts
  • LocationPlanet Kitzingen

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:58 AM

Just glad to see this.
Hoping for a bright MW/BT future with an updated MWO that focuses more on Faction Warfare and makes the feeling of sitting inside a battlemech a bit more unique (the feeling of moving/controlling it), depending on the chassis.

#118 Jungle Plague

• PipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 38 posts
  • LocationKennesaw, GA

Posted 06 October 2020 - 10:18 AM

You know - if they DOOOOO port/rebuild things in the Unreal engine (pls) - there is one idea that they could pinch from games like Titanfall that might help encourage new players...

I wonder if it would be possible to add in cannon fodder on the teams - something like some little tanks, or helos flying around that would be easier for new players to kill - so they can still have the feeling of contribution, even if it is not a huge deal.

Also - can we all just try to be collectively, if quietly hopeful? I know we have been disappointed in the past and stuff - but lets not let this disaster of a year get us nasty towards each other, or the devs.

#119 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 10:18 AM

Welcom back Bombadil, and thx to PGI for putting again money in this license.

My suggestions for the future of Mechwarrior 5 / Mechwarrior online:
Focus on Mechwarrior 5 and it's engine
Release new DLCs with Clan content, maybe do a remake of the Mechwarrior 2 / 3 / 4 Storylines as campaing, to bring all aviable Mechs into the Unreal Engine.

After all Mechs are aviabel in Mechwarrior 5s Unreal Engine do a reboot of MWO on that Engine.

Some suggestions for a reboot:

No indirect balancing with stuff like ghost heat to limit too high alpha strikes.
use the Mechwarrior 5 hardpoint size restriction, and define for each Mech class the maximum ammount of Large / Medium / Small weapons with "good" canon Mechs as reference.
Example:
The Enforcer carrys 1 Large Laser and an AC 10 = 2 Large Weapons max for medium Mechs, + X Medium Weapons, + Y Small Weapons.
A Shadow Hawk will still come with AC5/Med Laser/SRM2/LRM5, but depending on the variant some hardpoints can carry Large Weapons (AC 10, or Large Laser,...)

The Wolfhound carrys 1 Large Laser and 4 Medium Lasers = 1 Large Weapon & 4 Mediums for light Mechs as maximum.
Mechs like the Panther may get extra medium hardpoints for balancing reasons.

Move away from the 12 vs 12 "random teammates no respawns" quickplay
Use instead small groups with fixed player number of 4, and use dynamic match sizes:
4 vs 4
8 vs 8
12 vs 12
depending on the number of aviable groups & their rating.
This should speed up match making and improve balancing

Give each player a small drop deck with 3 Mechs and around 165 - 175 tons.
This will remove tonnage & mech class from match making, speeding up matchmaking.
It will also increase match duration and allow Mech selection fitting to the map.

Improve group creation
A Faction Lobby should be the first step of matchmaking.
In this Lobby a player will see all groups of his faction currently in the game / matchmaking.
He may either join a group or create a group.
Creating a group will also create a VOIP channel for that group to improve pre-match making coordination.

Keep Clan & IS Tech separate to avoid mixed tech teams
The "Clan = high tech glass cannon" & IS = "tanky low tech" balancing doesn't work if both teams are mixed with IS & Clan.

Allow multiple "Characters" per Player Account.
Each Character can be either IS or Clan.
IS Characters earn C-Bills and can only buy IS Mechs
Clan Characters earn K-Bils (Kerenskys) and can only buy Clan Mechs.
Clan characters will put in one team with other clan characters during matchmaking, IS with IS

Players can switch during loggin in between characters.
MCs can be used for all characters, same goes for active & banked premium time.

Improve Role Warfare
Players can select a role for their Mech in Mechlab (Scout, Brawl, Artillery), and this role is shown in the score board / group screen.

#120 xGKugelfang

Rookie

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 10:32 AM

Congratulations and thanks to PGI.

Great game to be continued!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users