Low Cost Game Update Suggestions

107 replies to this topic

#21 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 12 October 2020 - 02:30 PM

> Lights +ammo/ton quirks, preferably +150% (or 2.5x ammo/ton)
> RACs Jam Rebalance - 100% on redline with reduced dissipation time
> UACs are jamless but higher cooldown versus standard ACs.
> LPPC to 2.5s cooldown, SNPPC to 8 heat, PPC to 8.5 heat, ERPPC to 10 heat, HPPC to 13 heat, and removal of minimum range. Clan ERPPC to 10 + 2 splash damage, 4.00s CD, and 11 heat.
> LGR damage to 10
> ATM to 1.6/2.0/2.4 damage and no minimum-range.

These are just XML changes, so low cost right?

#22 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 12 October 2020 - 04:32 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 12 October 2020 - 02:30 PM, said:

> Lights +ammo/ton quirks, preferably +150% (or 2.5x ammo/ton)
> RACs Jam Rebalance - 100% on redline with reduced dissipation time
> UACs are jamless but higher cooldown versus standard ACs.
> LPPC to 2.5s cooldown, SNPPC to 8 heat, PPC to 8.5 heat, ERPPC to 10 heat, HPPC to 13 heat, and removal of minimum range. Clan ERPPC to 10 + 2 splash damage, 4.00s CD, and 11 heat.
> LGR damage to 10
> ATM to 1.6/2.0/2.4 damage and no minimum-range.

These are just XML changes, so low cost right?

+20% health to ATMs so quad AMS don't eat them alive, if you're going to reduce the damage to 2.4.

#23 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 12 October 2020 - 05:09 PM

View PostWillard Phule, on 12 October 2020 - 04:32 PM, said:

+20% health to ATMs so quad AMS don't eat them alive, if you're going to reduce the damage to 2.4.

Quad AMS is supposed to eat everything. Not a lot of mechs could do that, and when they do, they better be effective.

#24 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 06:24 AM

Re-balancing weapon stats with a few tweaks wouldn't hurt, but it wouldn't help either as far as bringing people back to MWO is concerned. I'm not saying don't do them, just pointing out that more than this is needed.

Edited by Nightbird, 13 October 2020 - 06:30 AM.

#25 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 October 2020 - 06:42 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 12 October 2020 - 05:09 PM, said:

Quad AMS is supposed to eat everything. Not a lot of mechs could do that, and when they do, they better be effective.
Exactly two mechs can - one Piranha and one Corsair. The Corsair can arguably do the job of a Heavy mech, the Piranha is a drop slot devoted to nothing but AMS.

#26 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:07 AM

View PostNightbird, on 13 October 2020 - 06:24 AM, said:

Re-balancing weapon stats with a few tweaks wouldn't hurt, but it wouldn't help either as far as bringing people back to MWO is concerned. I'm not saying don't do them, just pointing out that more than this is needed.

Well, it is low cost.

#27 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:10 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 13 October 2020 - 07:07 AM, said:

Well, it is low cost.

Sorry if I'm misunderstood, I'm asking for more suggestions. XML changes can freshen things for us, but if that is ALL we get from this new effort I'd be really disappointed.

#28 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:36 AM

View PostNightbird, on 13 October 2020 - 07:10 AM, said:

Sorry if I'm misunderstood, I'm asking for more suggestions. XML changes can freshen things for us, but if that is ALL we get from this new effort I'd be really disappointed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You get what you pay for.

#29 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:51 AM

Not true at all, the attrition mitigation suggestions are all under 100k. If they are implemented now, it wouldn't do much, but if they were implemented at the beginning of the game cycle, they would increase lifetime revenue by 5-10 million easily. It's so-called low hanging fruits.

Billion dollar companies have analysts to point these out to them so they don't miss them, but PGI obviously doesn't so there are actually many low-cost high-profit actions they missed. MWO has all the ingredients needed for a great game, but it got simmered at the wrong temperature and came out brown. That's all there is to it.

Lastly, I have high cost suggestions that can boost population in a big way, but it's pointless to take the time to write them down when the low-cost easy-to-understand ones don't get adopted.

Edited by Nightbird, 13 October 2020 - 07:58 AM.

#30 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 08:25 AM

View PostNightbird, on 13 October 2020 - 07:49 AM, said:

Not true at all, the attrition mitigation suggestions are all under 100k. If they are implemented now, it wouldn't do much, but if they were implemented at the beginning of the game cycle, they would increase lifetime revenue by 5-10 million easily. It's so-called low hanging fruits.

I mean, sure. Balance changes could also be detrimental if poorly done, if we're being honest.

It's just XML changes they could might as well implement right now, they could just "sneak" these changes along their actual updates. "You get what you paid for", well you didn't pay almost anything to put XML changes, so it's fair to expect nothing from it. Admittedly not sure about that Light Ammo-Ton quirk, but we have a working effect on the Skill-Tree.

If you're looking for low cost, you could just slash the mechpacks in half, and add new variants; probably just a little messing around on the models, they can do that and.I have a few hero mechs in mind, like a 6B Battlemaster, a 2B-RT Thunderbolt (yes the highmounts), a Missile Piranha, two King-Crabs. Of course when I paid for the Kaiju and the K9 on launch, it was uncomfortable for just those two mechs - and the Kaiju worth 30$ back then, so probably just permanent 5$ for lights, 10$ for Meds, 15$ for heavies, and 20$ for Assaults.

That being said, we are full of hangar queens at this point, so these variants better be good, even P2W.

I would shy away from Cosmetics, mainly because they are practically useless to the experience. A different variant on the other hand, and even Pay-To-Win, though admittedly in bad taste, at least affects gameplay.

Here's a Pay-To-Win King-Crab with highmount energy-ballistic.
Spoiler

Here's an ECM King-Crab, because **** missiles.
Spoiler

Here's a 6B Battlemaster for my Fan-Fic
Spoiler

Also here's a 2B High-mount Thunderbolt for my other Fan-Fic
Spoiler

Here is a missile Piranha, because it's fun.
Spoiler

Here is basically Grid-Iron IIC, a P2W Hunchie IIC, because **** the deathwich.
Spoiler

It's in bad taste, but I'm sure people will flock to these.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 13 October 2020 - 08:28 AM.

#31 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 10:08 AM

View PostNightbird, on 13 October 2020 - 06:24 AM, said:

there are a couple outliers on the op end, and many more underperforming joke weapons at the other end that nobody uses, not even pugtaters because they are bad. but that doesnt do anything if you fix it. it doesnt move merch and it doesnt keep players. people can simply not use bad weapons and stop running away from my atms at 140m.

but buffing bad mechs enables them to move more mechpacks which in turn helps keep the servers up. it might even bring people back since they have new toys to play with, like huge quirks or improved baseline stats. they probibly wont be meta but at least make them fun. casuals will love that.

Edited by LordNothing, 13 October 2020 - 10:10 AM.

#32 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 10:34 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 13 October 2020 - 08:25 AM, said:

I mean, sure. Balance changes could also be detrimental if poorly done, if we're being honest.

It's just XML changes they could might as well implement right now, they could just "sneak" these changes along their actual updates. "You get what you paid for", well you didn't pay almost anything to put XML changes, so it's fair to expect nothing from it. Admittedly not sure about that Light Ammo-Ton quirk, but we have a working effect on the Skill-Tree.

If you're looking for low cost, you could just slash the mechpacks in half, and add new variants; probably just a little messing around on the models, they can do that and.I have a few hero mechs in mind, like a 6B Battlemaster, a 2B-RT Thunderbolt (yes the highmounts), a Missile Piranha, two King-Crabs. Of course when I paid for the Kaiju and the K9 on launch, it was uncomfortable for just those two mechs - and the Kaiju worth 30$ back then, so probably just permanent 5$ for lights, 10$ for Meds, 15$ for heavies, and 20$ for Assaults.

That being said, we are full of hangar queens at this point, so these variants better be good, even P2W.

I would shy away from Cosmetics, mainly because they are practically useless to the experience. A different variant on the other hand, and even Pay-To-Win, though admittedly in bad taste, at least affects gameplay.

Here's a Pay-To-Win King-Crab with highmount energy-ballistic.

-snip-

It's in bad taste, but I'm sure people will flock to these.

i think the way the hardpoint system works require that hardpoints have respective submodels in the mech's mesh file. this is why newtech came with months of retrofits to add racs, lams and the new style missile racks to all the mechs. so for xml based variants to be created for cheap, you can only use hardpoints that already exist in other variants. pgi might be willing to do a few more retrofits, but to keep the costs down this should be avoided.

if they are going to sell these variants, then the more expensive ones are more likely to see retrofits, like your assaults and heavies. but you could sell an 8 ballistic firestarter because the 2 hero variants have quad mgs in the arms and torsos. id buy that for a dollar.

i think weapons could be done on a no retrofits basis. like xpulse and streak lrms could use existing hardpoint models, ppcs with caps can also be done. lacs might just use a size smaller ac barrel and hags/sbgauss could just use a gauss barrel. if you wanted hags to have their own model, you would have to retrofit all clan chassis to include one. one solution to this problem is to only retrofit a few chassis, and you can sell an omnipod for that chassis that has a hag as fixed equipment. you wouldnt be able to purchas a stand alone hag.

i have no problem with this stuff being mc or cash purchases as proper microtransactions. if pgi gives me a way to play the game differently than current, and its only a couple bucks, thats one of the few things that will get me to pay. ive bought enough mechpacks, everything i got is mastered, and i have more cbills than i could ever use. give me something else!

Edited by LordNothing, 13 October 2020 - 10:38 AM.

#33 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 01:57 PM

Adding more variants is an easy way to earn some money via reinforcement packs, with less work needed than new chassis.

#34 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:06 PM

I tweeted to ask if more expensive updates would be considered, no response. I would assume that is equivalent to "no".

#35 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:07 PM

View PostNightbird, on 13 October 2020 - 07:06 PM, said:

I tweeted to ask if more expensive updates would be considered, no response. I would assume that is equivalent to "no".

I don't want to be mean but this seems common sense at this point. They might as well e-beg with a crowdfunder, and I wouldn't think any less of them -- that low of a bar, yes.

#36 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 14 October 2020 - 02:31 AM

xml Data files plays make this stupid game nothing better .. the same Hitreg Problems, Performance Problems, stupid looking Mapdesigns and Ugly Maps(Solaris ,Rub-Uglylite )..nothing Gamemodes thats make sense,without Respawn= all Team deathmatch and a Empty Faction war with Nothing sense as Team Deathmatch with respawn and many bad designed Maps.

#37 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 02:46 AM

View PostMW Waldorf Statler, on 14 October 2020 - 02:31 AM, said:

xml Data files plays make this stupid game nothing better .. the same Hitreg Problems, Performance Problems, stupid looking Mapdesigns and Ugly Maps(Solaris ,Rub-Uglylite )..nothing Gamemodes thats make sense,without Respawn= all Team deathmatch and a Empty Faction war with Nothing sense as Team Deathmatch with respawn and many bad designed Maps.

Sure?

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 13 October 2020 - 07:36 AM, said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You get what you pay for.

#38 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 14 October 2020 - 05:13 AM

View PostNightbird, on 12 October 2020 - 11:28 AM, said:

I guess the cancer medication, heart valve implants, vaccines, brain stents, and all sorts of other analysis I worked on over my career are all useless then... terrible news.

If the methodology is sound yes, but in this case you are comparing the WRL ration with the WRL ration saying that it means that the WRL ratio is a definitive predictor of WRL. You are not allowing for bias in the system itself and only looking for trends.

#39 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:42 AM

View PostBelorion, on 14 October 2020 - 05:13 AM, said:

If the methodology is sound yes, but in this case you are comparing the WRL ration with the WRL ration saying that it means that the WRL ratio is a definitive predictor of WRL. You are not allowing for bias in the system itself and only looking for trends.

Sorry but you're wrong.

If you have questions on the methodology, please post in any of my PSR theory threads.

#40 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:48 AM

I asked in another thread and you didn't answer. Do you have the sample data? Are you comparing whether an individual player has a high match score in a particular match they win?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users