#41 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 10:11 AM

View Postingramli, on 19 October 2020 - 09:21 AM, said:

The dirty truth of the F2P.

F2P means players are divided into 2 groups by the game developer, those who paid and those who don't. Which means a "free" game would never be "fair", because players are not contributing same amount of money to the developer's pocket, and thus getting treated accordingly. Which is the reason i decided not to play MWO or any other F2P pvp games anymore, pvp games that are not fair to every players are just not fun to play.

Then you should only play the biggest F2P games that can get by with only cosmetic micro-transactions. Most games can't and would bankrupt.

#42 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:02 PM

View PostNightbird, on 19 October 2020 - 10:11 AM, said:

Then you should only play the biggest F2P games that can get by with only cosmetic micro-transactions. Most games can't and would bankrupt.

He's claiming a moral high ground, so he shouldn't be playing any F2P games that have microtransactions/subscriptions.

#43 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:42 PM

I all I know is if PGI try's to cater too everyone they will please no one and people will become apathetic about this game. That is all ready happening sadly.

Edited by SirSmokes, 19 October 2020 - 01:42 PM.

#44 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:45 PM

View PostSirSmokes, on 19 October 2020 - 01:42 PM, said:

I all I know is if PGI try's to cater too everyone they will please no one and people will become apathetic about this game. That is all ready happening sadly.

Absolutely... PGI should have analyzed their player population based on how much they paid and which features they wanted the most, and prioritized those features. Instead, they implemented features minority population segments wanted, and so only minority pop stayed.

#45 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:51 PM

View PostNightbird, on 19 October 2020 - 01:45 PM, said:

Absolutely... PGI should have analyzed their player population based on how much they paid and which features they wanted the most, and prioritized those features. Instead, they implemented features minority population segments wanted, and so only minority pop stayed.

This game has always had a very loud subset of players that made a small part of the population steering the ship. PGi should keep it's original promises yes but a lot of player refused to see past there own noses.

Edited by SirSmokes, 19 October 2020 - 01:51 PM.

#46 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:47 AM

View Postingramli, on 19 October 2020 - 09:21 AM, said:

The dirty truth of the F2P.

F2P means players are divided into 2 groups by the game developer, those who paid and those who don't. Which means a "free" game would never be "fair", because players are not contributing same amount of money to the developer's pocket, and thus getting treated accordingly. Which is the reason i decided not to play MWO or any other F2P pvp games anymore, pvp games that are not fair to every players are just not fun to play.

If anything I think MWO doesn't offer enough of a bonus to the big spenders.
I've spent very little (around $7-15 I think) in six months partially because aside from buying MC on sale early to add hangers (when on sale) I didn't feel a real reason to spend otherwise. That's far more then I've spent on other FTP games I've played mind you - I think this game is far more fun to me then World of Tanks, Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes etc.

If MC mechs were clearly better or offered a unique gameplay experience I might have purchased some for cash but largely there is a C Bill variant for sale that does much the same. Sometimes just by doing events I earn enough MC to get one (Sleipnir which is largely not a mech I'm enjoying.)

#47 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:50 AM

View PostGARION26, on 20 October 2020 - 09:47 AM, said:

If anything I think MWO doesn't offer enough of a bonus to the big spenders.
I've spent very little (around $7-15 I think) in six months partially because aside from buying MC on sale early to add hangers (when on sale) I didn't feel a real reason to spend otherwise. That's far more then I've spent on other FTP games I've played mind you - I think this game is far more fun to me then World of Tanks, Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes etc.

If MC mechs were clearly better or offered a unique gameplay experience I might have purchased some for cash but largely there is a C Bill variant for sale that does much the same. Sometimes just by doing events I earn enough MC to get one (Sleipnir which is largely not a mech I'm enjoying.)

I want too spend some more on MWO there some stuff I want but just not sure were this game is going right now.

#48 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:17 AM

View Postmartian, on 18 October 2020 - 07:33 AM, said:

So this is one undated post that could have been written by virtually anyone. It's not even from this forum, if I understand you correctly.

Three and a half years old post. Do you have something newer, please? And even there you can not know how much "Ted Wayz" has spent on MWO. It's possible that he really spent more than some competetive players. Without checking his accounts and accounts of some competetive players, nobody can say.

Well, just from today. Not too old for you, I presume?

View PostThreat Doc, on 20 October 2020 - 07:21 AM, said:

If you have not already, please join / participate on the MWO-Comp Discord to add your opinion and broaden the base of discussion in terms of target groups. Thank you!
Let me guess, anything lore-based is shat upon immediately because of the happy shiny people who don't want anything better?

This does not mean audience groups interested in more in-depth / strategical modes of play are not to be served, but the needed flow of revenue is more likely to be created/sustained via the average player - him being a BT-enthusiast or not.
Unfortunately, this observation is wrong, and you're sitting in the wreckage of the proof of that line of thought, right now.

Cater to the BattleTech enthusiasts, those who've been paying since Battledroids in 1982 through the first BattleTech box set in 1984 and all those who've purchased the books and played the games to make the computer games a viable gaming alternative in the first place, all those who bought the first BattleTech computer game in 1995, Crescent Hawks Inception, Revenge, the entirety of ten computer games prior to this one, plus the hundreds of man-hours and money shelled out by enthusiasts NOT supported by FASA or any of the game producers, so all of US could have a game where we fought within the Inner Sphere, especially since many of those Leagues didn't start up until the Clans came along, and then you will have a community worth playing with.

We, the predecessors, remain and will play as long as there's something that goes BY THE DAMN RULES to play with.

We, who came and played before, introduced EVERYONE we could get our sticky paws on to BattleTech and, at one point, more than 25 MILLION people around the world played BattleTech, BEFORE THE COMPUTER GAMES, and we will do it, again.

#49 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:49 AM

View PostHorseman, on 20 October 2020 - 10:17 AM, said:

Well, just from today. Not too old for you, I presume?
Unfortunately, this observation is wrong, and you're sitting in the wreckage of the proof of that line of thought, right now.

Cater to the BattleTech enthusiasts, those who've been paying since Battledroids in 1982 through the first BattleTech box set in 1984 and all those who've purchased the books and played the games to make the computer games a viable gaming alternative in the first place, all those who bought the first BattleTech computer game in 1995, Crescent Hawks Inception, Revenge, the entirety of ten computer games prior to this one, plus the hundreds of man-hours and money shelled out by enthusiasts NOT supported by FASA or any of the game producers, so all of US could have a game where we fought within the Inner Sphere, especially since many of those Leagues didn't start up until the Clans came along, and then you will have a community worth playing with.

We, the predecessors, remain and will play as long as there's something that goes BY THE DAMN RULES to play with.

We, who came and played before, introduced EVERYONE we could get our sticky paws on to BattleTech and, at one point, more than 25 MILLION people around the world played BattleTech, BEFORE THE COMPUTER GAMES, and we will do it, again.

Some of those guys don't get what's important and it's not raw numbers and it not numbers but what those numbers were post to represent

#50 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:03 AM

I'm old I played BT in the 80's if you are expressly catering to people my age and older for a video game you've got a literally 'dying' market.

Those long term BT lovers are absolutely worth attracting (and were likely most of the founders) but they aren't the sustainable long term future of a game. That's with people new to the franchise.

#51 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:06 AM

View PostGARION26, on 20 October 2020 - 11:03 AM, said:

I'm old I played BT in the 80's if you are expressly catering to people my age and older for a video game you've got a literally 'dying' market.

Those long term BT lovers are absolutely worth attracting (and were likely most of the founders) but they aren't the sustainable long term future of a game. That's with people new to the franchise.

This is a false choose it's not old school fans that are the problem. Don't get me wrong there a VERY LOUD subset that makes them self's know but for the most part most of the old school fans get that this can NEVER be exactly like table top because well it's not table top it's Mechwarrior an adaptation of Battletech doesn't have to be one to one. But it should try to stay true to the sprite of Battletech.

Edited by SirSmokes, 20 October 2020 - 11:08 AM.

#52 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 09:00 AM

View PostSirSmokes, on 20 October 2020 - 11:06 AM, said:

This is a false choose it's not old school fans that are the problem. Don't get me wrong there a VERY LOUD subset that makes them self's know but for the most part most of the old school fans get that this can NEVER be exactly like table top because well it's not table top it's Mechwarrior an adaptation of Battletech doesn't have to be one to one. But it should try to stay true to the sprite of Battletech.

Hi I think you misunderstood my point.

This game should cater to the video game first person shooting gamer population- they are on average far younger then the average table top battletech gamer. There is overlap in that group (for example me!) but the groups aren't that overlapped.

If you want to have the video game be successful cater to the desires of the kind of people likely to play this kind of video game. This isn't a turn based port of the tabletop game like HBS's Battletech game.

Spirit wise I think this game does just fine - though it's far more a spiritual successor to the earlier Mechwarrior video games then it is a direct descendant of the tabletop.

#53 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 09:20 AM

View PostGARION26, on 26 October 2020 - 09:00 AM, said:

Hi I think you misunderstood my point.

This game should cater to the video game first person shooting gamer population- they are on average far younger then the average table top battletech gamer. There is overlap in that group (for example me!) but the groups aren't that overlapped.

If you want to have the video game be successful cater to the desires of the kind of people likely to play this kind of video game. This isn't a turn based port of the tabletop game like HBS's Battletech game.

Spirit wise I think this game does just fine - though it's far more a spiritual successor to the earlier Mechwarrior video games then it is a direct descendant of the tabletop.

Sure new players are good. That's what makes this game kind of special is it's not a traditional shooter. It's something a little different and there a lot of player choice and customization. It's not table top but it's also not Call of Duty.

#54 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 26 October 2020 - 10:28 AM

I think PGI’s biggest dilemma with increasing revenues in MWO is the fact that one can build a fully capable stable of mechs, replete with champions/heroes/drop decks/cockpit items/cosmetics for free.

#55 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 10:34 AM

View PostSirSmokes, on 26 October 2020 - 09:20 AM, said:

Sure new players are good. That's what makes this game kind of special is it's not a traditional shooter. It's something a little different and there a lot of player choice and customization. It's not table top but it's also not Call of Duty.

Totally agree - I think this game is really a great mix of microdesign wargaming urges (building your mech in a Rock Paper Scissors type environment), Mecha/Tank simulator, and Big Stompy Robot FPS. The lack of variety is a bit of a downside but there is so very much done so very well that makes it so enjoyable and really a fairly unique challenge.

On new players - making the transition into this style of game easier is well worth it I think in terms of new player retention. With a longstanding Battletech background (and only very distant FPS experience) it took me a while to get the hang of it. There is a lot of nuance (what does TAG do for LRMS/ATMS) that you have to dig on the internet to understand.

#56 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 10:48 AM

View PostGARION26, on 26 October 2020 - 10:34 AM, said:

Totally agree - I think this game is really a great mix of microdesign wargaming urges (building your mech in a Rock Paper Scissors type environment), Mecha/Tank simulator, and Big Stompy Robot FPS. The lack of variety is a bit of a downside but there is so very much done so very well that makes it so enjoyable and really a fairly unique challenge.

On new players - making the transition into this style of game easier is well worth it I think in terms of new player retention. With a longstanding Battletech background (and only very distant FPS experience) it took me a while to get the hang of it. There is a lot of nuance (what does TAG do for LRMS/ATMS) that you have to dig on the internet to understand.

Honestly why I think PvE mode would be great for learning the ropes before people get in the PvP part of the game just thought. Not sure how easy that would be to put in the game.

#57 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:07 PM

View PostSirSmokes, on 26 October 2020 - 10:48 AM, said:

Honestly why I think PvE mode would be great for learning the ropes before people get in the PvP part of the game just thought. Not sure how easy that would be to put in the game.

Agree or even just make getting into and out of the Academy easier and faster. The AI is very simple but it was good practice for me early on just understanding how to handle moving/aiming/managing heat. I'd love to be able to easily get into the academy to test out a new mech against moving targets

#58 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:38 PM

View PostNightbird, on 19 October 2020 - 01:45 PM, said:

A Minority with a Name...Her blames the Community official , spit of the Founders, spit of his Crew when not follow each of his Dreams...Im will not longer the Whales thats gives the Money for the Start, im will more...Esport is the new League, thats the same Dreams like the Transverse Disaster ...grab to higher Fruits and ignore each risk...The Lonesome Captain hunting the Big White Whale to the Horizon , not the real whales aside his Ship
https://mwomercs.com...ame-the-whales/

https://mwomercs.com...4805#entry74805

Posted Image[/url]

and all we have since start of the Game ...the Shitstorms,Carrot of the Stick and Discussions

https://mwomercs.com...ck-on-open-beta

https://mwomercs.com...4805#entry74805

https://mwomercs.com...-1-aired-31514/

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 26 October 2020 - 06:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users