102 replies to this topic

#1 Tannhauser Gate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

More than 73,000 posts so far in the 65 days since the forum was opened, all of them in the direction of what we want or dont want MWO to be. Im sure we'll break 300K by the time the game launches this summer but we should remember that, at launch, MWO will be a "minimum viable product" with years of updates and additions ahead of it. We shouldn't go into the launch expecting a glossy final game that would normally take years to develop. It will no doubt be glorious but it will lack features and details, and balance and polish.

Look at it this way. We get to say, "yes I played MWO from the beginning back before we had this or that."

What do you think MWO will have at launch and what will be added over time as the game evolves?

Edit: What Russ said.

Edited by LakeDaemon, 03 January 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#2 Frantic Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • 714 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

I'm thinking just a handful of mechs at first. Possibly 3 from each class for a total of 12. I wonder how much advanced tech will be available at launch.

#3 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

Yes it is Minimum Viable Product ^_^

#4 Stone Profit

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

I wish they would go a bit faster than 1:1 time scale i want my 3085 andvanced tech already!. and I know that no matter how awesome this game is, it wont last 35 yrs lol. but if it did, Id probably still be playing. Battletech is in my opinion the best designed and most well thought out universe out there, it and star wars and star trek are pretty close to even. but those were a movie series and multiple television shows/movies respectively. Battlemechs rule!

#5 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:29 PM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 03 January 2012 - 05:06 PM, said:

What do you think MWO will have at launch and what will be added over time as the game evolves?

I think MWO will have 4 maps styles, probably about 16-20 innersphere mechs and only technology available for the year 3049. I think as the game progresses we will see the addition of the Clans, more maps, more mechs, more technology as it becomes available according to battletech canon.

That's just a guess of course ^_^

#6 pcunite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

Personally, I'll be very pleased with the quality of what is released vs. quantity of whatever ships ... that is what is attracting me to this version of MechWarrior, the design goals ...

#7 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 03 January 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

Yes it is Minimum Viable Product ^_^

lol thanks for the clarification. Change the topic title if you want to

#8 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

View PostMason Grimm, on 03 January 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

I think MWO will have 4 maps styles, probably about 16-20 innersphere mechs and only technology available for the year 3049. I think as the game progresses we will see the addition of the Clans, more maps, more mechs, more technology as it becomes available according to battletech canon.

This ^ ..same expectation on what the game will have, based on current information.

#9 Larry Headrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Locationoklahoma

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

What he said. ;)

#10 BeforeLife

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

View PostStone Profit, on 03 January 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

I wish they would go a bit faster than 1:1 time scale i want my 3085 andvanced tech already!. and I know that no matter how awesome this game is, it wont last 35 yrs lol. but if it did, Id probably still be playing.

Yep Same here. Im not that big on the Battletech Universe lore and whatnot but what i do know is that I REALLY want the mechs that can mount the rail gun on them like the Behimouth II (sorry for my spelling) and the Maruder II. Also can any other mechs other than thouse 2 mount the Railgun? If so that would be EPIC ^_^

#11 Stone Profit

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

that depends on what you mean by railgun... you mean the gauss rife, or one of its variants? from what I understand, a Hyper Assault Gauss is closest to a traditional railgun.

#12 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

Nah.. That's just crazy talk. ;)

Edited by LakeDaemon, 03 January 2012 - 06:49 PM.

#13 Uncle Death

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

I'm just plain ole excited to finally see this great Universe being brought new life!!

#14 Kargush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

We get to say, "yes I played MWO from the beginning back before we had this or that."

"Back in my day, we didn't have nuthin' like this heah fancy Madcat, no sirreeh. We had stuff like this heah Hunchback, and Joe's ol' Cat'pult oveh dereh. I tells you lad, we did it the hard way, like the House Lords intended, and none of this heah ER this or Ultra that or what have yeh. Xl engines mah rear, we used good o' engines, didn't stop runnin' for nuthin'..."

#15 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

*wouldn't have clicked this thread if it hadn't been written by LakeDaemon.

I rather believe we'll see melee added at some point, like it or not.

I'd like to hope we'd see tanks and infantry eventually, even if only comp controlled, they'd add a lot to the scenery to make it more backstory viable.

Of course we get clanners.... heck I'm more stumpeder the more I ponder it. I'm pretty sure the mech selection will come in spurts.

#16 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

I agree. Melee if its done right would be very cool. If it fails because its too different, too anime, too whatever, it still shows how far the devs are going to make this game as close to BT universe as they can.

#17 Erhardt

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 03 January 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

I agree. Melee if its done right would be very cool. If it fails because its too different, too anime, too whatever, it still shows how far the devs are going to make this game as close to BT universe as they can.

Physicals at some point would be a must, IMO. I'm still kind of reeling at the fact they won't be in the game from the day it opens, since there's really no reason outside of laziness that we didn't already see them by the time Mechwarrior 4 hit the retail shelf. Physical attacks are part of what makes a mech a mech, I think. Otherwise, why not just drive a similarly armed tank (minus the laughably arbitrary tabletop rules making tanks more fragile than mechs to help insure which one was the king of the battlefield).

#18 Hellen Wheels

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

More than 73,000 posts so far in the 65 days since the forum was opened, all of them in the direction of what we want or dont want MWO to be. Im sure we'll break 300K by the time the game launches this summer but we should remember that, at launch, MWO will be a "minimum viable product" with years of updates and additions ahead of it. We shouldn't go into the launch expecting a glossy final game that would normally take years to develop. It will no doubt be glorious but it will lack features and details, and balance and polish.

Look at it this way. We get to say, "yes I played MWO from the beginning back before we had this or that."

Edit: What Russ said.

<ooc>
I think that MWO will be a VIABLE product...not a "minimal viable product." Talk about a "glass half full" outlook....

At launch, I expect MWO to deliver what they've said they'd deliver. That's all been posted already and even rehashed ad nauseum, as has every "want" that's been voiced in those 73,000 posts to date.

This game's success will rely heavily upon the community that loves the genre, and I (for one) will be supporting every effort to make it all it can be.
<ooc>

H
MBCB

#19 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

View PostHellen Wheels, on 03 January 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

<ooc>
I think that MWO will be a VIABLE product...not a "minimal viable product." Talk about a "glass half full" outlook....

Actually "minimum viable product" was a quote from Russ. Like you, Ill be supporting every effort to make the game "the" turning point that unifies our sim vs action vs TT community.

#20 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

View PostHellen Wheels, on 03 January 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

<ooc>

At launch, I expect MWO to deliver what they've said they'd deliver. That's all been posted already and even rehashed ad nauseum, as has every "want" that's been voiced in those 73,000 posts to date.

This game's success will rely heavily upon the community that loves the genre, and I (for one) will be supporting every effort to make it all it can be.
<ooc>

H
MBCB

Minimum Viable Product means that the product is in its most basic state that a consumer is willing to purchase. It is not a jab at the quality of the game, and is in fact a quote directly from the developers themselves.

And yes, just like LakeDaemon, I am quite understanding of how the game will most likely be at launch. All I expect are about 16 mechs and 4 map types, but the updates will be glorious. MWO is like a steak. I like a great steak, but the updates (seasoning) will really spice it up.

Edited by Orzorn, 03 January 2012 - 07:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users