- - - - -

As A New Player Which Loadout Is Easiest To Play With?

Question

47 replies to this topic

#21 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 January 2021 - 06:08 PM

View PostGalahad2030, on 02 November 2020 - 07:12 AM, said:

Please answer this poll with the following format:

Its not that simple.. Weapons and mechs vary so it depends on which mech, ping times and the players reflexes. I would agree with others above as Ballistics like LBX or RACs are some of the easier weapons to use.. Some others have no issues with Guass as well others just cannot come to terms with them...(me)

Lasers are imo some of the hardest due to their heat and how many to use.. Missiles vary greatly LRMs are designed for people with low reaction times to plod along (at least thats how most use them) but SRM and MRMs are imo more expert to use.

Edited by Samial, 07 January 2021 - 06:26 PM.

#22 AnimePops

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 77 posts
  • LocationOklahoma, USA

Posted 16 January 2021 - 11:58 AM

I would say Laser boats are the most straight forward and forgiving. Pay attention to alerts in mechlab on how many you can shoot at the same time. If you don't get your aim right immediately you can often adjust before the duration of lower is done to at least score SOME damage in a bad shot. Shoot until you need to cool off. Rinse and Repeat. No ammo to worry about.

After that, RAC's are no brainers. Hold down the shoot clicky until you get hot. Cool off and shoot the clicky button again. Ammo is a thing as the trade off.

#23 NiceDad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:03 AM

When I try RAC, my screen start to fill with the firing splashing effect and end up I can't see anything. Is it the setting of the game I didn't do it correctly? Should I lower the brightness (currently set at 75) of the game? Or it is the gamma (currently set at 75) that I should lower?

Thank You
Have Fun
Stay Safe

#24 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:00 AM

On some chassis you can't avoid muzzle flash, which obviously gets extra bad with RACs, obstructing your view. There's little you can do about that. Just lock the target and use your sensor data to stay on target.

#25 Sockmonkey Cleon

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 10:10 PM

Lasers, but specifically not a meta laser build, a laser boat that's built to stay cool.

New players have a ton of things to learn and from what I've experienced and seen in spectate mode, tend to get tunnel vision when there's a mech in their crosshairs. If I were introducing them to the game, I'd make them a medium mech with a few long range lasers, enough heat sinks to allow them to constantly fire all the in one group lasers, and show them the good poke/bad poke video.

Obviously that's not going to be the most effective, but it's going to be one of the easiest weapons to never think about, so they can try to start watching the positions of their and other mechs to get better at finding positions where they're shooting at an enemy their team can reach, from a position that's protected from some or all of the opponents.

#26 Guardian Soul

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 01:38 AM

Lasers

Specifically IS medium lasers, super specifically six of them on a Hunchback-4P. It's a super stable platform that's just durable enough to survive being out of position for a moment or two while not being so fast that the player feels like they can charge into the enemy team. The weapons are uniform and no-nonsense and six of the dang things will bite hard against most targets.

Players get to learn how to:
- Focus damage on specific components
- Manage heat in a simple, uniform fashion
- Fight at the proper range
- Stay in cover vs trying to trade when not in optimal range or when they'll lose the trade
- Torso twist with a very obvious dead side to use as a shield

And to back that up from a new player perspective, it's the 'mech I learned how to not be complete garbage at the game with, so it counts for something in my book.

Edited by Guardian Soul, 02 February 2021 - 01:39 AM.

#27 NiceDad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 12:14 AM

Hi

As a new player, I will like to share my experience. When I pilot mechs with laser builds, I notice that I did not have much kills as I'm still trying to learn looking at the top-right corner of my monitor to see which part of the enemies' armor is the weakest and focus fire at that particular part. I find that kinda hard as a new player. Then I start to play Quickdraw IV-4 and with the burst damage of MRM80 during brawling, I can start to see more kills under my stats.

I also tried RAC and just like others have mentioned, it is a no-brainer-newbie-friendly as I just need to press my mouse button and shoot at the enemies (with 3xRAC20). Due to the high rate of fire, wounded enemies will start to fall. But one negative thing about playing RAC is that I tend not to move since I'm constantly firing at the enemies. When enemies are not alone, those enemies which I'm not firing at will focus fire on my Centre Torso and soon I will go down too. I'm still trying to learn how not to over-expose myself and also try to remember that when my RAC are jammed, I need to twist my torso to spread the damage across my armor and reducing the damage done to my Centre Torso.

Gauss rifle is still a no-no to me as I feel that the charging up and firing (within the limited time) is a bit taxing for me. I'm trying to learn using ATM for close range combat but using the Tag tends to stress me mentally and also physically. I have tried setting up the "Left Shift" for one of the weapon group (as recommended by some youtuber) and put the Tag into that weapone group so that my "pinkie" can constanly pressing the "Left Shift" and thus activating the tag wherever I point my cursor to. But after 2~3 games, my pinkie starts to hurt and now I stop doing that anymore. If there's a better way to manage the Tag, please let me know.

May I know is it useful to use the Active Probe? When I'm playing LRM boats, I'm having a hard time trying to hve a lock-on at enemies. But when I use Active Probe, I tends to find it more easier to have lock-on, so Active Probe really helps with the lock-on?

Now I tends to build my mechs with brawling builds using UAC20, LB20X, MRM, SRM, etc. Why I do so is beacuse most of the time when the enemies shoots me, I can't even see them on my 24" monitor (maybe it appear like a tiny little dot). Thus I tends to stay with the pack and when they start to push, it will be the time which I can make myself useful. Please let me know if my playing style is wrong. I also appreciate anyone can teach me how to spot those far-range enemies (more than 800m and with ECM) as they tends to appear like a black dot on the screen until I'm been shot at.

I just notice that for IS weapon, there is a "Snub-Nose PPC", is it useful? Or I will be better off equipping a real PPC or Large Laser?

Thanks in advance for the help & advise.

Have Fun
Stay Safe

#28 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 12:35 AM

View PostNiceDad, on 03 February 2021 - 12:14 AM, said:

I just notice that for IS weapon, there is a "Snub-Nose PPC", is it useful? Or I will be better off equipping a real PPC or Large Laser?

Thanks in advance for the help & advise.

Snubs have the advantage of not having the 90m deadzone HPPCs, PPCs and LPPCs have while not being as hot as ERPPCs. They're still mostly considered too hot for their limited range which puts them in the region of brawl weapons. They pair up nicely with AC20s for big pinpoint in CQC.

#29 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 417 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 02:03 AM

Although the general rule of thumb is: whenever you can mount 2 Medium (Pulse) Lasers instead of a SnubPPC => do it! The incoming weapon balance changes may change the SNPPCs role, but at the moment the SNPPC is a suboptimal weapon system in terms of damage/heat/weight-ratio.

Edited by AnAnachronismAlive, 03 February 2021 - 02:24 AM.

#30 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 09:54 AM

It's not a bad weapon and if you prefer brawling builds, it can be useful.

However, due to the differences in game mechanics between BattleTech and MechWarrior Online, Snub-Nose PPCs in not especially great in MWO. If you can, use a pair of MPLs or MLs instead.

Standard PPC has the minimum range, in which it does 0 damage - so it's not an ideal weapon for brawling 'Mechs.

#31 Guardian Soul

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 06:19 PM

May I know is it useful to use the Active Probe? When I'm playing LRM boats, I'm having a hard time trying to hve a lock-on at enemies. But when I use Active Probe, I tends to find it more easier to have lock-on, so Active Probe really helps with the lock-on?

I also appreciate anyone can teach me how to spot those far-range enemies (more than 800m and with ECM) as they tends to appear like a black dot on the screen until I'm been shot at.

I don't think BAP improves the lock on time of LRMs, but it does boost your sensor range and speeds up how fast you get the damage readout for a 'mech you targeted. What's probably helping you with the LRMs is that BAP counters ECM (I think in a range around your 'mech, but don't quote me on that) and ECM on an enemy 'mech slows down your lock on speed with LRMs by several seconds.

As for spotting enemies at extreme range, I'd check your resolution and FOV options, it may make them larger on screen. If you're going for a super long range build you can pick up advanced zoom in the skill tree under sensors to give yourself another magnification level. However, with your brawl builds the best way to deal with people at 800m is to not be in line of sight. Learning the maps and where to take cover will help you more in that regard. Once you get a general idea of where the other team is likely to be you can just stick to cover, don't peek, and wait for them to get in range of your weapons before engaging.

Also, I'm more than happy to answer any other questions you have (and would love to know what you're running the MRMs on, just for my own curiosity) so drop me a message if you'd like so we don't clutter up the thread here.

#32 NiceDad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 06:46 AM

The current resolution I'm using is 1920x1080 which is the highest my laptop can support. What do you recommend for the resolution? May I know where can I find the FOV setting? What should the setting I should set?

I'm using Quickdraw IV-4 for the MRM80 build with a XL engine (following TTB recommendation). For my Wolverine-6R, I'm still trying out which build is better for him, MRM60 or 2RAC2 + MRM10. May I know what is your thought?

#33 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 06:49 AM

Using your monitors native resolution is a good idea. Field of View is by default 60 in MWO, which is approppriate for playing a console game on TV from your sofa. If you are actually playing a PC game by the desk your monitor stands on, you will probably want something between 74 and 90.

For the Wolverine, I'd try MRM40+MRM20.

Edited by Gagis, 04 February 2021 - 06:50 AM.

#34 NiceDad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 06:51 AM

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll be setting to 90 and see how it goes.

#35 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 04 February 2021 - 12:40 PM

View PostNiceDad, on 04 February 2021 - 06:51 AM, said:

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll be setting to 90 and see how it goes.

Mine is set to 85 degrees.

#36 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 01:07 PM

Mine is on 75 which is still fairly narrow tunnel on my tall monitor. A bit of a compromise.

#37 Guardian Soul

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:03 PM

View PostNiceDad, on 04 February 2021 - 06:46 AM, said:

The current resolution I'm using is 1920x1080 which is the highest my laptop can support. What do you recommend for the resolution? May I know where can I find the FOV setting? What should the setting I should set?

I'm using Quickdraw IV-4 for the MRM80 build with a XL engine (following TTB recommendation). For my Wolverine-6R, I'm still trying out which build is better for him, MRM60 or 2RAC2 + MRM10. May I know what is your thought?

As Gagis pointed out, using your native resolution is your best bet. I have my FOV set to 90, but anything in the ~80-100ish range should work, use what's comfortable for you.

As for the WVR-6R, you should be able to import both of these as builds. Go to the 'mech lab and in the lower middle where it says 'Loadout profile' hit import and paste the strings of letters and numbers in. Let me know if it breaks and I'll edit the post with ones that work.

A2200:31|eb|h^|h^|h^p_0|f?q_0|[@|\@|\@r40s40tN0|GPuN0|GP|aOv<0|F@w505050
This is a budget build using the stock engine on the 'mech and no upgrades to heat sinks, structure, or the like. The MRM40 gives a good punch and the ER Medium laser is there for backup if the missiles run dry or get shot off. Rocket launchers are there for a nasty single shot strike on any fat assaults you get a good line on. It'll run pretty hot though, so be careful. Poke, then get back in cover. Right side can be used as a shield in a pinch. You can pretty easily upgrade into MRM40 and 20 like Gagis mentioned, or 40 and 30 if you drop down to a 250 rated engine.

A2282:31|Lgp_0|FO|FO|[<2q_0|3@r40sP0|k?|k?tP0|[OuP0|FO|FOv<0|F@w505050
MRMs deal very nice burst, yes, but if you want to go dakka (and why wouldn't you?) the WVR-6R does get 25% cooldown on AC5s BEFORE skill points. You'll want to play on the second line supporting more brawl focused 'mechs, but you'll be putting out solid DPS with the AC5s. You could blend in SRMs or LRMs as you like to take advantage of the missile quirks, but LRMs support the second line role nicely and give you a consistent damage option at most stages of a mach. Plus, with the double heat sinks you'll run fairly cool.

Mind both of these are builds on paper, try and adjust them as you like. The WVR-6R can support a fair number of playstyles with the quirks and hardpoints, so have fun!

#38 NiceDad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for sharing the builds, I'll try them out.

#39 NiceDad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for sharing the builds and after playing some games in each of them I still prefer WVR-6R with MRM60 which the game play is much simplier (1 button shot weapon). furthermore the missile ports are at my cockpit level which I can always peak from the ridge, shoot and drop back again. The following is my WVR-6R build:

Ah<82031|GP|Kgp_0|f?|AO|i^q_0|Z@|Z@rF0sF0tS0|GP|GPuS0|GP|GPv>0|F@w505050

Please let me know if I can improve the build better.

Thank You
Have Fun
Stay Safe

#40 Guardian Soul

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 03:16 PM

The build looks solid! Only major thing would be to take the ton of MRM ammo out of the CT, it'll be vulnerable to critical hits once your CT armor is gone and if it gets crit it may explode, which will pretty much instant kill your 'mech. I'd stick it in your right torso, or your left arm if you're using the right side as a shield. It'll get used before the ammo in your legs, at which point it won't explode if it gets crit. Honestly four stacks of MRM ammo should be plenty, but see how much you end each match with and adjust as needed. Besides, the ammo skills help a lot. Remember ammo you never use is wasted tonnage (and can explode) so don't bring too much.

Other than that you could swap from an ER Med laser to a normal medium laser to save a bit on heat. Really you're probably not hitting max range MRM shots anyway, so ~300 meters is a good enough engage range.

Balancing the armor between the two arms works, but you could also put most of the armor in the right arm and use the right side to tank. You only have the AMS in there, so losing it isn't the worst thing in the world, and it keeps your left side safe for a bit longer. The build works for having a shield side, so you may as well use it.

I don't know what you have for skills, but for this kind of build the acceleration and deceleration quirks in mobility (Kinetic burst and hard brake respectively) are excellent for quick trades from behind cover.

Edit to add:
You could also swap the MRM30s for a MRM40 and 20. It'll give you the same damage per volley, but the cooldown won't be synched up. That's not necessarily a major problem if you're poking over hills anyway, and having the 40 and 20 mix generates slightly less heat and is a ton lighter. I'd consider it a good trade for the staggered cooldowns, but that's up to your preference.

The MRM40 may also fire in a slightly longer stream of missiles because the physical launcher on the 'mech doesn't have enough tubes for the full burst, which is something to keep in mind, even if it is a pretty minor thing.

As a (probably) last note, you could put Light Ferro-Fibrous armor on to free up a bit more tonnage. Could go into a bigger engine or just more armor on the arms, depending on what you do with the rest of the build.

Edited by Guardian Soul, 06 February 2021 - 03:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users